• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Flo_Evans said:
szAYe.jpg

:)

I over-salted the potatoes... any tricks for that or do you just throw them out?
Use kosher salt and taste as you season to prevent oversalting. Kosher salt is coarser and less salty than table salt, which should only be used for baking.

Flo_Evans

entrement said:
Use kosher salt and taste as you season to prevent oversalting. Kosher salt is coarser and less salty than table salt, which should only be used for baking.
I was using ground sea salt. I think the problem was I was seasoning them while still cooking in the pan and they absorbed allot more than if I salted them after.

Meats I like to salt before cooking, veggies seem better to season when they are done.

I was also hungover so my tastebuds where not fully awake :p

O6kHG.jpg

Cheese is a mix of the sauce and the San Joaquin Gold
Crumble is Lay's Natural Cajun Herb & Spice

Very tasty, as grating the cheese and directly whipping it into the pizza sauce deftly sidesteps the issues with it wanting to brown very quickly and barely melt.

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
I was using ground sea salt. I think the problem was I was seasoning them while still cooking in the pan and they absorbed allot more than if I salted them after.

Meats I like to salt before cooking, veggies seem better to season when they are done.

I was also hungover so my tastebuds where not fully awake :p

just go easy on the salt while its cooking, salting at the end is a waste and doesn't leave the interior of your veges tasty.

An easy way is to go easy at the start and as it cooks cut off a small piece to taste for salt.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That cheesecake is probably the most delicious and beautiful thing ever.

My wife loves cheesecake. Thanks for posting this, I know what one of her special surprises will be for our 2 year wedding anniversary. :)

dyonPT

RbBrdMan said:
That cheesecake is probably the most delicious and beautiful thing ever.

My wife loves cheesecake. Thanks for posting this, I know what one of her special surprises will be for our 2 year wedding anniversary. :)

Very happy with you post.

If you will make it, here is some photos of the process :)

5747391988_dcbabc8124.jpg

5747393672_3e4e007351.jpg

5746846123_cfb54294bf.jpg

5747397052_7a3cb92b7a.jpg

Hope it helps you.

PS: The gelatine shits, you dip them in clold water, and then melt it with some milk :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks for sharing here as well. The vid gets the official OnkelC Seal of Approval.

A bit of background story would be nice.

Flo_Evans

Clams where great. That was actually at my sisters house, she has a big nautical themed party every year. I usually don't make seafood because my wife doesn't eat most of it.

I need to get better at fish but its so hard to get good fish here to start off with. You gotta know a guy who knows a guy (or pay out the ass at whole foods) It's more of a meat and potatoes kind of town :(

MultiCore

Being inspired by Epic Meal Time and a special currently running at Wienerschnitzel, I decided to put "More Bacon Strips" in some of my meals.

Today, we have Bacon Wrapped Hot-Dogs.
yYXXCl.jpg

LoC1ul.jpg

They were outstanding.

Flo_Evans

Cake pops!

So these are the new cupcakes I'm told (by my mom who knows these things)

h2bee.jpg

not exactly sure how she makes them, but they are amazing... perfect tiny bite of cake on a handy stick.

Gav

Flo_Evans said:
Cake pops!

So these are the new cupcakes I'm told (by my mom who knows these things)

http://i.imgur.com/h2bee.jpg[IMG]

not exactly sure how she makes them, but they are amazing... perfect tiny bite of cake on a handy stick.[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend made a massive batch of these the other week. They were amazing.

Cruceh

Banned
Anyone know a good grilled chicken recipe? Or should i just put some pepper, paprika, garlic powder and throw it on the foreman?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Flo_Evans said:
Cake pops!

not exactly sure how she makes them, but they are amazing... perfect tiny bite of cake on a handy stick.

We call them cake balls. Your right they are very good and really simple to make.

1. Bake cake
2. Crumble in large bowl.
3. Add frosting and stir up really good.
4. Roll into balls or use melon scoop.
5. Coat with confectioners icing.
6. ???
7. Profit.

I need some pro tips, I'm going to do a poulet roti roast chicken french style. I got the basics from my cook book but i would like to do some root vegtables and leeks, should i do them separately in another pan? I see some methods do them separately, some do in same pan. I just want the best way to not over cook the chicken.

If they are large enough put them underneath the chicken to give an instant rack to elevate the chicken off the bottom of the pan then serve them with the chicken. That's how I'd do it, anyways. No point using a separate pan.

Flo_Evans

GroteSmurf said:
Looks awesome. What kind of cut did you use for the strip steak?

And blue cheese < boursin ;)
New York strip generally refers to a boneless short loin cut.

I am a big fan of the ny strip, but I think I want to try getting some ribeyes next. I could be wrong but they are considered to be a better cut? But still below tenderloin/filet mignon?

Flo_Evans said:
New York strip generally refers to a boneless short loin cut.

I am a big fan of the ny strip, but I think I want to try getting some ribeyes next. I could be wrong but they are considered to be a better cut? But still below tenderloin/filet mignon?

I never heard of the NY Strip before you mentioned it haha. But it's actually a reference to a cut not to a particular recipe? According to wikipedia it's tender but not as tender as a rib-eye or tenderloin. Now i just have to find out what it's called in dutch ;).

JonCha

dyonPT said:

Very happy with you post.

If you will make it, here is some photos of the process :)

Hope it helps you.

PS: The gelatine shits, you dip them in clold water, and then melt it with some milk :)

Must make. That looks awesome, especially because the process seems quite simple.

Flo_Evans

GroteSmurf said:
I never heard of the NY Strip before you mentioned it haha. But it's actually a reference to a cut not to a particular recipe? According to wikipedia it's tender but not as tender as a rib-eye or tenderloin. Now i just have to find out what it's called in dutch ;).
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak

Internationally it is called a club steak? Everywhere around here refers to it as ny strip. It is basically half of a porterhouse cut. Can be a bit tough, but I like to feel like I am eating something substantial when I make steak :)

"Contre-filet" should put you in the ballpark in Europe. I'm not sure toward which end of the loin makes our strip steaks "New York" strips, though. It's the T-Bone (small filet) side as opposed to the Porterhouse I think?

slidewinder said:
"Contre-filet" should put you in the ballpark in Europe. I'm not sure toward which end of the loin makes our strip steaks "New York" strips, though. It's the T-Bone (small filet) side as opposed to the Porterhouse I think?

Ah thank you i got it :) Lendenstuk we call it here. :D Thanks. Off to the butcher!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Flo_Evans said:
NY strip

a9VGF.jpg

and a nice scotch. :)

I drink scotch by itself, a napa cab with a steak. That blue cheese on top is a sin.

I made salmon fillets yesterday evening with potatoes and a salad with vinaigrette. I should have taken pictures.

Flo_Evans

otake said:
I drink scotch by itself, a napa cab with a steak. That blue cheese on top is a sin.

I made salmon fillets yesterday evening with potatoes and a salad with vinaigrette. I should have taken pictures.
You probably really don't want to hear about the marinade I use then! :p

I like simple flavors, but blue cheese like red wine (my preference too, but the wife didn't want to open a bottle) complement steak so well (the strip in particular) it's kind of silly to deny your mouth the awesomeness.

Axion22

This was just tweeted by @altonbrown
USDA Revises Recommended Cooking Temperature for All Whole Cuts of Meat, Including Pork, to 145 °F

Cooking Temperature for Ground Pork, Beef, Veal, Lamb remains at 160 °F

WASHINGTON, May 24, 2011 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is updating its recommendation for safely cooking pork, steaks, roasts, and chops. USDA recommends cooking all whole cuts of meat to 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer placed in the thickest part of the meat, then allowing the meat to rest for three minutes before carving or consuming.

This change does not apply to ground meats, including ground beef, veal, lamb, and pork, which should be cooked to 160 °F and do not require a rest time. The safe cooking temperature for all poultry products, including ground chicken and turkey, remains at 165 °F.

"With a single temperature for all whole cuts of meat and uniform 3 minute stand time, we believe it will be much easier for consumers to remember and result in safer food preparation," said Under Secretary Elisabeth Hagen. "Now there will only be 3 numbers to remember: 145 for whole meats, 160 for ground meats and 165 for all poultry."

USDA is lowering the recommended safe cooking temperature for whole cuts of pork from 160 °F to 145 °F and adding a three-minute rest time. The safe temperature for cuts of beef, veal, and lamb remains unchanged at 145 °F, but the department is adding a three-minute rest time as part of its cooking recommendations. Cooking raw pork, steaks, roasts, and chops to 145 °F with the addition of a three-minute rest time will result in a product that is both microbiologically safe and at its best quality.

Why the Rest Time is Important

A "rest time" is the amount of time the product remains at the final temperature, after it has been removed from a grill, oven, or other heat source. During the three minutes after meat is removed from the heat source, its temperature remains constant or continues to rise, which destroys pathogens. USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has determined that it is just as safe to cook cuts of pork to 145 °F with a three minute rest time as it is to cook them to 160 °F, the previously recommended temperature, with no rest time. The new cooking suggestions reflect the same standards that the agency uses for cooked meat products produced in federally inspected meat establishments, which rely on the rest time of three minutes to achieve safe pathogen reduction.

Appearance of Cooked Pork

The new cooking recommendations clarify long-held perceptions about cooking pork. Historically, consumers have viewed the color pink in pork to be a sign of undercooked meat. If raw pork is cooked to 145 °F and allowed to rest for three minutes, it may still be pink but is safe to eat. The pink color can be due to the cooking method, added ingredients, or other factors. As always, cured pork (e.g., cured ham and cured pork chops) will remain pink after cooking.

Appearance in meat is not a reliable indicator of safety or risk. Only by using a food thermometer can consumers determine if meat has reached a sufficient temperature to destroy pathogens of public health concern. Any cooked, uncured red meats – including pork – can be pink, even when the meat has reached a safe internal temperature.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_052411_01/index.asp

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Flo_Evans said:
You probably really don't want to hear about the marinade I use then! :p

I like simple flavors, but blue cheese like red wine (my preference too, but the wife didn't want to open a bottle) complement steak so well (the strip in particular) it's kind of silly to deny your mouth the awesomeness.

You're absolutely right and I shouldn't knock it till I try it. I personally like my NY Strips with salt, pepper and butter and Skirt steak needs a chimichurri.

By the way, what is that scotch?

Flo_Evans

Balvenie(sp?) single barrel 15. Best own it's own or with a good cigar.

Butter/cheese serves the same purpose (and are both made from milk...) of adding fat to a lean cut. Just think of blue cheese as moldy butter. Delicious, moldy butter. :)

This is food from the restaurant I cook for (I also took these):

5751737126_4ab7c91cb8.jpg

Crab Cakes, Chard and/or Kale greens, Marmalade

5751188393_5496744eae.jpg

Blackberry Cobbler, Hazelnut Florentine, Basil Ice Cream, Berries

5751182931_2e09d8ee0f.jpg

Mushroom Bisque

5751177065_d91247eeeb.jpg

Fois Gras

5751169921_36849bcf91.jpg

Fried Green Tomatoes

5751163805_8b7b8d07c9.jpg

Salmon

5751158147_9d91e0a0b4.jpg

Soft Shell Crab (a special)

5751139443_3e253fe04a.jpg

Chicken

5751134037_43b54a6692.jpg

Scallops

5751425994_2ef4343b9f.jpg

Local Mesclun salad, pickled onions, seasoned tomatoes, pecorino, pine nuts

5751116837_f5eece8735.jpg

Fettucini

5751098631_678319cd79.jpg

Pork Chop

5751636796_8de5b4282f.jpg

Beet Risotto

5751624566_1207e90d2c.jpg

Oyster Stew

5751619224_4185b492a8.jpg

Oyster on the Half Shell

5751614332_a560bbb227.jpg

Strawberry Soup, Candied Rhubarb, Rhubarb Chip, Lime Sorbet (I know... weird, right?)

5751609302_ffe325c1c0.jpg

Beef Tartare

Onkel, you'll appreciate this: my co-worker Brad's custom knife box. Super jealous... I think his Father custom builds them. I definitely want one.

5751010351_f9b93852f8.jpg

5751559372_5fca92e4d1.jpg

5751005343_fcfb88cac7.jpg

Rockfish

5750977121_010680ae44.jpg

Strawberry Salad (Strawberries, Watercress, Endives, Camembert, Toasted Walnuts, Orange Poppy Dressing)

5751508864_7e34d487f9.jpg

We do it big in Virginia.

5750960019_33b0eed715.jpg

Filet

5751487554_75f0c2db72.jpg

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

5751476170_a679895d67.jpg

Prawns

5751413334_bde1835d5c.jpg

Cheese board (This one has Grapes, Apple, Tangelo, Drunken Goat, Tillamook Cheddar, and Maytag Blue)

We also have this insane new jalapeno vodka cocktail... I forget what it's called but they had me taking photos of it to promote their summer drink specials.
Hopefully I'll be published in a food & drink magazine for it:

5751376816_b6246ae072.jpg

5751361390_acbd1b67e9.jpg

More food photos as they come!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
awesome pics of awesome dishes, painted bird! thanks for sharing. the knife box is indeed nice, but I personally prefer a knife block for storage.

IronGAF: I need unassailable wisdom on Iron, GAF.

Cast Iron Skillets that is.

Here's the situation: I'm generally ignorant save scattershot notions I've seen in various threads. My mom has a Cast Iron Skillet that she's been using for years, but I'm also 99.9% positive that, many times including recently, the thing has been subject to the likes of Soap&Water and Soaking In Water and such for extended periods of time no different than a normal pan and/or mundane forks and the like. I'm guessing that she never ran into anybody entirely with it on the subject through the years, as she's not had much social doings with people that also actually cook, let alone using the things. This is...at least less than ideal right? The thing was apparently seasoned, to some degree, somehow, waaaay back when.

I come to you IronGAF: What are the proper protocols to dealing with a cast iron skillet in this situation...or if this one is a bit far gone...getting a new proper skillet and starting with the right practices so as to not diminish or ruin the thing needlessly over time?

Stalfos

ElectricThunder said:
IronGAF: I need unassailable wisdom on Iron, GAF.

Cast Iron Skillets that is.

Here's the situation: I'm generally ignorant save scattershot notions I've seen in various threads. My mom has a Cast Iron Skillet that she's been using for years, but I'm also 99.9% positive that, many times including recently, the thing has been subject to the likes of Soap&Water and Soaking In Water and such for extended periods of time no different than a normal pan and/or mundane forks and the like. I'm guessing that she never ran into anybody entirely with it on the subject through the years, as she's not had much social doings with people that also actually cook, let alone using the things. This is...at least less than ideal right? The thing was apparently seasoned, to some degree, somehow, waaaay back when.

I come to you IronGAF: What are the proper protocols to dealing with a cast iron skillet in this situation...or if this one is a bit far gone...getting a new proper skillet and starting with the right practices so as to not diminish or ruin the thing needlessly over time?
I've heard of people sanding away rust from skillets that were sitting in junk piles outside and then seasoning them up and using them. The skillet you mom has will probably season just fine and it probably won't take much work as long as there isn't rust. Here is a simple video that tells you how to season a pan. You should be able to follow that to get the pan seasoned again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom