• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm always looking for new fish to try. I got some hawaiian pink snapper today. Has anyone here cooked with it? Any good recipes? Whatcha got Iron-GAF?

MrBig

Calzone/Stromboli/folded pizza
IMG_8551.jpg

Mozz, beef, cream cheese, and some Velveeta mac&cheese (SO MUCH CHEESE IM GOING TO END UP KILLING MYSELF WITH IT ALL)

Dynedom

I love this thread and need to start contributing to it, seeing as how I'm getting back into cooking.

The most recent thing I made and took a picture of was just tuna salad "sliders"
188432_10100172359906442_28105014_60554424_4298109_n.jpg

One of the best-looking (and tasting) things I ever made was a Tyler Florence shrimp bisque though:

n28105014_46923744_9984.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
Been too long....

9IRFQ.jpg

Long story short, had kid, off work, cooking allot more for the wife and loving it!

She can finally eat stuff not burnt to a crisp so I can enjoy cooking it instead of burning it... ;)

Is there anything more perfect than a fried egg sandwich? No, I don't think so. What's that white saucy stuff leaking off of it (that's what she said) ?

Leunam

nakedsushi said:
Except next time, I'll remember to turn OFF the heat before adding the eggs. Oops.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/5720816067_2651b11656.jpg[img]
pasta carbonara with chard and porcini[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I fouled up the carbonara I made a while back because the pasta was too hot when I added the sauce. :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wonderful stuff, everybody!

nakedsushi said:
Thanks for the suggestion of using swiss chard in pasta carbonara! I did that last week with some chard I've been growing and it came out GREAT. Even without the pancetta.

5721374074_970f91ac07.jpg

Except next time, I'll remember to turn OFF the heat before adding the eggs. Oops.

5720816067_2651b11656.jpg

pasta carbonara with chard and porcini
looks great. Don't mind the eggs to be overdone, the taste stays the same.

Flo_Evans

nakedsushi said:
Is there anything more perfect than a fried egg sandwich? No, I don't think so. What's that white saucy stuff leaking off of it (that's what she said) ?

Flo_Evans said:
Bacon gravy :)

Sort of a "shit on a shingle" variation but for breakfast.

Wish I would of taken a pic of the steak I cooked last night before I devoured it. Let me tell you it was glorious. New York strip + some funky blue cheese + a nice bottle of red = RAWR I AM MEAT EATER!

MrBig

So I've acquired a sort of sealer that has been modified to suck out air with a compressor for Sous-Vide stuff. What can I make with it?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
Just Mozz/Cheddar twist sticks. Wanted to go for the filling style rather to incorporate so that it would be more concentrated rather than using more cheese throughout the dough and getting less flavor. Used my pizza dough recipe, flattened it out to about 1cm thick and squared it (which left me with enough dough for a calzone tonight),painted it with olive oil, cut it in half, and cut it into ~4" strips, rolled the cheese in and sealed the dough, painted the top with more olive oil, sprinkled with dried parsley.
Have you shared your pizza dough recipe before? There are many and most of them are very similar, but what is yours? I want to make those cheese sticks tonight, and your picture looks so delectable I want to try and capture it as close as possible.

rezuth

If I'm looking to kinda get into the basics of cooking, what should I get in terms of books, cooking shows etc? I mean more of a scientific explanation, why do you add eggs when baking etc. I'm tired of all these recipe shows and want more of a better understanding overall what effects stuff has.

MrBig

Jtwo said:
Have you shared your pizza dough recipe before? There are many and most of them are very similar, but what is yours? I want to make those cheese sticks tonight, and your picture looks so delectable I want to try and capture it as close as possible.
Right on the last page actually
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27706474&postcount=9975

I said six hours there but I only made the dough for those an hour or two beforehand so it'll be fine if you want it tonight.

The dough likes to fluff out a lot (more than I'm used to in this instance since it wasn't weighted by toppings) so make it fairly thin, less than a cm.

rezuth said:
If I'm looking to kinda get into the basics of cooking, what should I get in terms of books, cooking shows etc? I mean more of a scientific explanation, why do you add eggs when baking etc. I'm tired of all these recipe shows and want more of a better understanding overall what effects stuff has.

If you want a big book that'll teach you why you do things to other things and call it food, this is a great book to start with. It's literally a textbook about cooking

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee

rezuth

nakedsushi said:
If you want a big book that'll teach you why you do things to other things and call it food, this is a great book to start with. It's literally a textbook about cooking

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I'm looking for, if you have anything more I'll be eternally grateful. I just feel that I want too understand certain things and not just accept them.

rezuth said:

This site might be up your alley, though it is a bookmark I've not gotten around to in some time now:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

rezuth said:
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I'm looking for, if you have anything more I'll be eternally grateful. I just feel that I want too understand certain things and not just accept them.

If you like vegetables, here's another one that my husband often goes to when he has questions like, "How should I store this vegetable" or "what can I do with it?"

Chez Panisse Vegetables by Alice Waters
It has most of the basic vegetables, but it's definitely not comprehensive when you get to more exotic vegetables.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I think I've perfected my Old clothes recipe. It's a cuban dish, here's a picture from the internet:

512.jpg

I used a pressure cooker for the beef. This left a broth I added to the vegetables to reduce along with the beef. Takes a while to cook.

1/2 lbs of flank steak.
half a red pepper.
half a yellow pepper.
1 green pepper.
1 small onion.
6 cloves of garlic.
2 carrots, sliced.
1/3 of a squash.
can of diced tomatoes.
some sugar.
Salt and pepper.

cut veggies, cook flank steak cut into cubes in pressure cooker, cut veggier, first cook diced onions till soften, add a bit of sugar to them, thrown in minced garlic, cook for a few minutes, then add everything else. After 28 minutes, release pressure, pull beef, insert into the veggy mix, throw add tomatoes, add 2 or three cups of the beef broth, reduce for 20 minutes, done.

Serve with white rice, plantains or salad. I typically eat this with a bottle of Rioja, however, last night I had it with Pesquera Crianza from Ribera del Duero. You guys should really get into wine pairings, it totally elevates the dinner experience ten fold.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, so I finally got around to making that pizza dough! Still have a couple more hours until I bake it, but I can already smell it burping away. I think. Very, very excited to make those breadsticks. I'm going to eat 12 of them.

over the next week or so.

trilobyte

Good luck!

I've tried making pizza dough a couple of times but it always seems to come out with a slightly bitter after taste. Not sure what's going on... I use:

Bread Flour
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Active-Dry Yeast (Proofed)
Sugar
Salt

A knead it until it passes the window-pane test. I set it in the fridge covered for 24 hours.

My own guess to the reason is I've been using a little flour to remove the stickiness of the dough during stretching...so probably that flour is burning leaving the taste there. Any tips? Stretching actually is my weakest skill.

This is the first time i'm posting here :) I apologise for the low quality pics but I had to use my cellphone. I wanted to share my recipe for the best chewy double chocolate cookies.

You'll need the following;
1 medium egg
1 egg yolk
250g Self Raising Flour
150g white sugar
170g light brown sugar
170g melted unsalted butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 table spoon vanilla extract
150g plain milk chocolate
150g plain white chocolate

Pre heat the oven at 200°C. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla extract, and melted butter. Mix in the sugars and then sift in the flour and baking powder. Finish off by cutting the chocolate into large chucks and add to the mixture. The mixture should look something like this.

5739692171_25062dd4fd_b.jpg

Now grease the baking tray or use greaseproof paper, and place lumps (approx. a heaping tablespoon) of the cookie dough evenly spaced out as seen below .

5739690589_9043628279_b.jpg

Now place the trays in the over for not more than 17 minutes at 200°C. The edges will be darker in colour. As seen below.

5740241942_65ef810b6f_b.jpg

5740242364_af4a4450e2_b.jpg

Let them cool off for about 5 minutes, then turn over into a plate or container, grab a glass of ice cold milk and enjoy :)

5740243228_8bc397d4f4_b.jpg

5740242810_67ba706a23_b.jpg

GiJoccin

trilobyte said:
Good luck!

I've tried making pizza dough a couple of times but it always seems to come out with a slightly bitter after taste. Not sure what's going on... I use:

Bread Flour
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sugar
Salt

A knead it until it passes the window-pane test. I set it in the fridge covered for 24 hours.

My own guess to the reason is I've been using a little flour to remove the stickiness of the dough during stretching...so probably that flour is burning leaving the taste there. Any tips? Stretching actually is my weakest skill.

do you notice flour burned all over your pizza? i wouldn't guess that's the problem - you'd probably notice the flour texture wise.

it could be the flour you are using, or your yeast. i haven't used active-dry yeast in a long time, i've stuck to instant yeast, and i don't use sugar in my pizza dough - it's hard for me to guess where the bitter taste is coming from in your dough

as for the stickiness of the dough, is it possible you're not using enough flour when making the dough? as in, the dough might be too hydrated - raising the flour content would lower the amount of flour you have to use later to manipulate the dough.

I made a pizza last sunday :) I made it before but never with my own dough. So i followed the dough recipe somebody in this thread posted and it came out wonderful :)

I overdid it a bit on the topping and not enough cheese but it was delicious :)

Toppings: Home made tomato sauce, young gouda cheese, salami, paprika, onion and jalapeno's oh and bacon :)

FV2Tkl.jpg

Big picture

Took a total shot in the dark and sent an email query on potential entry level employment opportunities for a "nice" local eatery that is nearing the final stages of construction today.

With no restaurant experience, my odds can't be great, but perhaps I'll hit a patch of good luck and be able to learn my way around and get some income going. The people seem friendly, and job or no it is a place I'd certainly intend to eat at, so we'll see. Everybody has to start someplace right? Even if the one near me was hiring, I don't think I could hack it at a McDonald's or the like...

MrBig

Jtwo said:
Alright, so I finally got around to making that pizza dough! Still have a couple more hours until I bake it, but I can already smell it burping away. I think. Very, very excited to make those breadsticks. I'm going to eat 12 of them.

over the next week or so.
How'd they come out?

GiJoccin said:
as for the stickiness of the dough, is it possible you're not using enough flour when making the dough? as in, the dough might be too hydrated - raising the flour content would lower the amount of flour you have to use later to manipulate the dough.

trilobyte said:
Good luck!

Bread Flour
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sugar
Salt

You want pizza dough to be "dry" and elastic, not mushy or wet. Making and rising it will be sticky, but you want to use about 1/4 cup of flour on your counter when you are stretching and that will make working with it almost like play-doh. Also leaving it open to air is what gives dough a bitter taste, so don't just cover it and leave it in the fridge. I have a large plastic container that has just your basic clips on the end, but I cover the opening with sheet of plastic wrap and then clasp the lid so that no air can get in or out. The recipe I use at least only rises for 6 hours in a closed place (like an oven.) You want to go as quickly from the container to cooking as possible. You want any flour that is on the dough to have been worked into it, not just sitting on it.

Here's what I do to stretch the dough: Knead (fold, don't crush) the dough into a circular shape, roll it out for a few seconds, spin it about 5 times (if you can't spin it then your dough is botched in any case), and then spread it into shape with my hands.

Zyzyxxz

Damn America's adversion to eating baby cows... I can't find veal bones anywhere to make veal stock. *sniffles*

Oh well I'm making something along the lines of 10 gallons of beef stock today, a good portion will go to demi-glace and the rest for soup making and sauces.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
How'd they come out?
Ugh, first batch was terrible. I rolled the dough too thin, so they basically just turned into crispy little shells filled with cheese.

Tons more dough left though, I'm going for round two a little later on. I also want to make little garlic twistys, too. When I get it perfected I'll post some pictures.

GiJoccin

MrBig said:
Here's what I do to stretch the dough: Knead (fold, don't crush) the dough into a circular shape, roll it out for a few seconds, spin it about 5 times (if you can't spin it then your dough is botched in any case), and then spread it into shape with my hands.

you don't have to spin the dough, it's nice if you do i guess and impressive, but i've had the same results from just pulling the dough, letting it rest for a couple of minutes, and stretching it some more.

i find spinning makes the dough thicker along the outside and thin in the middle.

btw i use reinhart's recipe too, makes great pizza!

MrBig

GiJoccin said:
you don't have to spin the dough, it's nice if you do i guess and impressive, but i've had the same results from just pulling the dough, letting it rest for a couple of minutes, and stretching it some more.

i find spinning makes the dough thicker along the outside and thin in the middle.

btw i use reinhart's recipe too, makes great pizza!
No you don't, but it helps a lot in making it more rounded if you do it at an early point and finish by pulling/stretching. By saying if you couldn't spin it I meant if it tore.
It is a fantastic recipe, pretty much all it needed was some sugar.

e: I need to make a desert that feeds about 12 people. Nothing too delicate or needing to be kept frozen. Any ideas? Maybe something traditional, old-fashion American.

trilobyte

Thanks for the tips guys! I shall try again, this time with a sealed container during the rising process. I'm going to change the yeast to instant, but I'm sure my bitter taste is coming from too much air getting into the dough

I need to make a desert that feeds about 12 people. Nothing too delicate or needing to be kept frozen. Any ideas? Maybe something traditional, old-fashion American.

Can it be chilled? A nice new-york style cheesecake might fit the bill.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
funk0ar said:
anyone have a good recipe for hash browns?
I Just grate a potato in a cheese grater, then squeeze the water out with a towel and fry them up.

Kafel

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
I over-salted the potatoes... any tricks for that or do you just throw them out?

Always salt first in your hand. Then pinch in it and put the salt on your dish.

Throw the rest out if there's too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom