• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photo%20May%2025%2C%207%2037%2058%20PM.jpg

Ambitious BUT RUBBISH? Wish me luck, there is a half a stick of butter in that bird and on top off. I did not have twine to tie the chicken up =/. I combined the Les Halles Cookbook and Ad Hoc's Cookbook recipe for roast chicken.

entremet

ElectricThunder said:
IronGAF: I need unassailable wisdom on Iron, GAF.

Cast Iron Skillets that is.

Here's the situation: I'm generally ignorant save scattershot notions I've seen in various threads. My mom has a Cast Iron Skillet that she's been using for years, but I'm also 99.9% positive that, many times including recently, the thing has been subject to the likes of Soap&Water and Soaking In Water and such for extended periods of time no different than a normal pan and/or mundane forks and the like. I'm guessing that she never ran into anybody entirely with it on the subject through the years, as she's not had much social doings with people that also actually cook, let alone using the things. This is...at least less than ideal right? The thing was apparently seasoned, to some degree, somehow, waaaay back when.

I come to you IronGAF: What are the proper protocols to dealing with a cast iron skillet in this situation...or if this one is a bit far gone...getting a new proper skillet and starting with the right practices so as to not diminish or ruin the thing needlessly over time?
Season it as the directed above and use it constantly. Never wash it. Clean with paper towels and coarse salt.

Leeness

SAM_0236.jpg

Nomnomnom, strawberry cheesecake.

Was ridiculously moist/rich and kind of hard to eat a whole piece, haha. Super, super tasty, though.

Kind of joining in on cooking-GAF. I really enjoy baking over cooking, but I love both. Expect to potentially see another cake from me soon, as my sisters both have birthdays. :)

Stalfos said:
I've heard of people sanding away rust from skillets that were sitting in junk piles outside and then seasoning them up and using them. The skillet you mom has will probably season just fine and it probably won't take much work as long as there isn't rust. Here is a simple video that tells you how to season a pan. You should be able to follow that to get the pan seasoned again.

How might rust be identified? I know it is certainly not a solid black bottom for the cooking surface region....large random patches of kinda gray and just "not black" are present...

I will certainly show her that video though, thanks for that!

Photo%20May%2025%2C%208%2049%2035%20PM.jpg

Success in real time, i think my eyes were bigger then my stomach. The breasts were moist which was new to me =D. Next time more butter crisper skin and i need to make a sauce with the chicken juice.

Stalfos

ElectricThunder said:
How might rust be identified? I know it is certainly not a solid black bottom for the cooking surface region....large random patches of kinda gray and just "not black" are present...

I will certainly show her that video though, thanks for that!
Like slidewinder mentioned, rust would be an orange dusty/flakey area on the pan. If you do have some I believe you can use some steel wool rub it away. If the cooking surface is black and gray then you are probably good to go ahead and season it. The lighter sections are probably spots where the seasoning has worn away, probably from cleaning with soap.

Stalfos

Technosteve said:
Success in real time, i think my eyes were bigger then my stomach. The breasts were moist which was new to me =D. Next time more butter crisper skin and i need to make a sauce with the chicken juice.
Pan sauces are awesome. Last Thanksgiving I made a pan gravy that turned out to be one of the best gravies that I have ever tasted.

DJ_Lae

Pan gravy is the best part about roasting chicken.

I'm generally pretty lazy about the whole thing so my roasting consists of preheating a cast iron skillet in the oven, dumping a chicken coated in paprika and olive oil in there and roasting it 45-50 minutes at 450 or so. You could probably make a case against the breasts really hitting a safe temperature in that time but they're moist, delicious, and the gravy is fantastic.

It's almost good enough to just eat with a spoon, to hell with the chicken. And even better, my girlfriend doesn't like gravy so I get it all to myself, and usually drizzle it over everything on my plate.

DJ_Lae

I made a lentil soup tonight for something a bit different, and I'm constantly surprised at how good the simple things are. Onion, carrot, celery with olive oil, lentils, stock, bay leaf, and salt and pepper, and the end product was fantastic.

It's better than the pea soup I normally make and about half the effort.

(I didn't take a picture because it's lentil soup, it looks like liquid mush)

I've only ever cooked with the cheap red lentils before, though. Do other varieties have more flavour or is the difference just the colour? Not that the red ones stay red when they cook, either.

I've heard that green ones cook up firmer and retain their shape more, and so might be more appropriate if that's what you're looking for. Like maybe if you used reds to get that pea-soup-style broth, and some green ones for texture if you wanted something a little toothsome.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
DJ_Lae said:
I made a lentil soup tonight for something a bit different, and I'm constantly surprised at how good the simple things are. Onion, carrot, celery with olive oil, lentils, stock, bay leaf, and salt and pepper, and the end product was fantastic.

Indeed. Last night, I needed something to accompany my guava pork chops and tostones so I cut up some butternut squash, some carrots, a few asparagus, stir fried them with butter and pepper, done. It was delicious.

way more

cokecan.jpg

Master knifes smith Bob Kramer has announced a new line with J.A. Henckels. Now that he has this and his Shun line out he plans to focus all his time on just making his Damascus blades. Of course, he only makes about 200 of those a year and there is a lottery to get on the 3+ year waiting list.

The new line is though Sur La Table like the Shuns and they seem to be priced the same.
Sur La Table

Check out the awesome video for hot shaving action and Coke can slicing ability.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/artic...mith-bob-kramer-visits-popsci-shows-his-chops

Deadly Cyclone said:
All, about to grill a NY strip steak, anyone have a simple herb butter recipe to baste/pair it with or any other suggestions?

I don't really have a recipe that I use per say. I just like to throw in whatever herbs I've got lying around. If you're feeling adventurous, you can mix some herbs together, but I just like a plain old parsley herb butter. Throw in a generous pinch of salt while you're at it.

Really though, almost any herb butter will do. I like rosemary herb butter with potatoes and chicken. Thyme butter on fish is quite traditional.

Mix it together, roll it on cling wrap and freeze it. Cut off a chunk when you need it.

Oh and chives or dill are great as well.

Alucrid

Banned
mac said:
http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/cokecan.jpg[IMG]

Master knifes smith Bob Kramer has announced a new line with J.A. Henckels. Now that he has this and his Shun line out he plans to focus all his time on just making his Damascus blades. Of course, he only makes about 200 of those a year and there is a lottery to get on the 3+ year waiting list.

The new line is though Sur La Table like the Shuns and they seem to be priced the same.
[url=http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-180375/?affsrcid=Aff0001&mr:trackingCode=9DE7D889-2F77-E011-B349-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA]Sur La Table[/url]

Check out the awesome video for hot shaving action and Coke can slicing ability.

[url]http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-05/video-master-bladesmith-bob-kramer-visits-popsci-shows-his-chops[/url][/QUOTE]

I have such a hard-on for Damascus steel. Is that weird?

Axion22

Deadly Cyclone said:
All, about to grill a NY strip steak, anyone have a simple herb butter recipe to baste/pair it with or any other suggestions?

I like mine simple: an oil, kosher salt & fresh ground pepper. I'm excited for your opportunity to experiment, though.

Deadly Cyclone said:

usually I would chop some fresh garlic and parsley and mix it with soft butter. Then mold the butter and ingredients into a block and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until its semi hard like a normal butter. Right before you are about to start cooking your steak I take out the butter and rest it at room temp. Serve butter on top of steak immediately.

Normally I wouldn't top my steaks off with anything other than the natural juices, but once in a while if I am going to top it off i'll use that butter recipe

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I did a purely epic reorganization of my kitchen.
I cooked a pretty elaborate mexican meal last night and was completely blown away by how much my kitchen's setup was working against me.

Now it's perfect. :D

Absolutely ZERO items being stored on the counter, AWESOME Spice Drawer with labels on the lids, organized all my grains and baking items for easy access. Can't wait to put it into practice one of these nights.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I done fucked up. I had planned to make NY strip last night. Made mashed potatoes, cut up the mixed veggies and..... I thawed out the pork tenderloin by mistake. My wine didn't match, potatoes didn't match, it was a cluster fuck of a dinner. Pork tasted great but it's not what I had planned. We ended up having pork two days in a row. I also didn't want to make the tenderloin this way, I had intended to make a sauce for it but didn't have the ingredients or time.

Gah. Tonight. NY Strip Steak with........ I have no idea. I'm out of asparagus and I don't want to have potatoes again... maybe tostones (?). Menu plan ruined.

Figured I'd post my morning coffee ritual, because who doesn't enjoy a well made cup of coffee.
Measure out 19-20 g of coffee beans, roasted locally.
DMsQol.jpg

Add 400mL cold filtered water to pyrex and microwave 2:19 to reach 175°F.
fuI4al.jpg

Grind beans and add to inverted aeropress
lim1Hl.jpg

Pour in water, stir, and steep for 2 minutes. (mmmm nice creamy froth there. Smells so good)
iavmkl.jpg

Invert, press into mug, top off with water and enjoy.
vL30Ul.jpg

It might take a bit longer that drip, but once you get a ritual going, it really can't be beat.

Zyzyxxz

otake said:
I done fucked up. I had planned to make NY strip last night. Made mashed potatoes, cut up the mixed veggies and..... I thawed out the pork tenderloin by mistake. My wine didn't match, potatoes didn't match, it was a cluster fuck of a dinner. Pork tasted great but it's not what I had planned. We ended up having pork two days in a row. I also didn't want to make the tenderloin this way, I had intended to make a sauce for it but didn't have the ingredients or time.

Gah. Tonight. NY Strip Steak with........ I have no idea. I'm out of asparagus and I don't want to have potatoes again... maybe tostones (?). Menu plan ruined.

steak and eggs over rice?
4883927429_e122402530_b.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
RbBrdMan said:
I'm always looking for new fish to try. I got some hawaiian pink snapper today. Has anyone here cooked with it? Any good recipes? Whatcha got Iron-GAF?

So I took a stab at an ginger soy marinade that I use for salmon sometimes and tried it with the pink snapper. Turned out OK the fish was a little dry. Meh, better luck next time.

uZvhC.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Ok folks with iceland's volcano going crazy again and Memorial weekend upon us, it is time for BBQ and grill season!

I may need help since I'm a fish out of water in terms of smoking, I just bought a smoke box to try and smoke spareribs and brisket in my propane grill.

I need suggestions for rubs for both of them!

Also how do I use this smoker box if I want to cook this brisket for hours?

Flo_Evans

Zyzyxxz said:
Ok folks with iceland's volcano going crazy again and Memorial weekend upon us, it is time for BBQ and grill season!

I may need help since I'm a fish out of water in terms of smoking, I just bought a smoke box to try and smoke spareribs and brisket in my propane grill.

I need suggestions for rubs for both of them!

Also how do I use this smoker box if I want to cook this brisket for hours?
Pork or beef?

For pork i do dry rub: brown sugar, chili powder, liquor, mustard, onion and some type of fruit.

For beef I like a vinegar based wet baste. Worchester, soy, hickory smoke, garlic, salt.

Soak your woodchips a few hours before starting. Add a small amount, keep spare chips soaking and add as needed. Throw fresh herbs, beer, fruit on chips for additional smoke action :)

Keep heat low, keep basting if wet (I like an aluminum pan under meat to baste from adds drippings to baste so none is wasted) leave alone if dry rub but still keep pan under to avoid direct heat.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Took the better part of the day, but was tons of fun.
CYbDV.jpg

Leeness

MrBig said:
Is it better to make cheesecake the day before it is to be served or make it a few days before and then freeze it?

The cheesecake I made was done the day before, but the recipe called for a night in the fridge. I also did it the day before because I was working the day of the party. It tasted awesome anyway.

Also, what are those, JTwo? They look tasty!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Recreation of a type of girlscout cookie.

Base is just a simple shortbread cookie, in a circle with the center cut out like a donut.

Topping is homemade caramel (just corn syrup, condensed milk, and brown sugar) mixed with toasted coconut shreds.

then I coated the bottom with chocolate and drizzed some over the top.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yay, the Modernist Cuisine finally shipped! Should be here on Tuesday or so. I's been a long time since I've been anticipating a book that much...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet! You gotta give us your review, Onkel.
I've read lots of articles about it, but can't quite justify the hundreds of dollars it costs.

Are you going to like separate carotene out of 10 pounds of carrots with an industrial grade centrifuge?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Jtwo said:
Sweet! You gotta give us your review, Onkel.
I've read lots of articles about it, but can't quite justify the hundreds of dollars it costs.

Are you going to like separate carotene out of 10 pounds of carrots with an industrial grade centrifuge?
I'd rather squeeze an insta-tan bimbo with my bare hands for that matter :p

Flo_Evans

Step 1

apply wet ingredients:
mustard
rooster sauce
honey
kahlua liquor
apricot puree
kahlua liquor

t2TbJ.jpg

let set

Step 2

add dry rub:
brown sugar
walnuts
chili powder
dry onion
garlic
salt/pepper

rkjV0.jpg

when dry rub starts to get wet from soaking up juices, put on grill

Step 3

kkqay.jpg

put water in aluminium pan underneath. keep adding water as is dries. This keeps it steamy inside your pit and can be used to make sauce with drippings. I add tomaotes, onions, more fruit to this as it reduced. Baste on ribs if they start to get dry. But let them set for the most part.

set to low and add woodchips

WbIjh.jpg

about halfway home - 2 hours in. Taste some now and note the smoke/flavors/toughness. You can also tell when the bones sticking out are around 1" exposed. Ribs are done.

m5SR3.jpg

total time about 6 hours... some simple slaw and re-heated the next day :)

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
yay, the Modernist Cuisine finally shipped! Should be here on Tuesday or so. I's been a long time since I've been anticipating a book that much...

nice! I've been debating whether I want to spend my money on this book or a chamber vacuum sealer, both are around the same price.

Yes Boss!

Man,

Miss this thread. Have not been keeping up. :-( good stuff all! Gonna participate next year when I get back from the middle east. Going on a big drive through europe in a few weeks (garmisch-innsbruck-brussels-amsterdam-hamburg-berlin-bavaria) and hope to try some good food. Anybody familiar with those cities open to some suggestion, local favorite places to try?

Any good euro-indian places to try?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Big BBQ party tomorrow. I'll only be doing Hamburgers, Hot dogs, Metts and Brats though so no exquisite picture opportunities. The 30+ people that are coming are going to bring a dish each.

Maybe I'll be able to get some good recipes from someone. Enjoy the holiday weekend US-Iron-GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom