• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick and easy chicken quarters for dinner ($.99/lb at Safeway right now  :hyper).  My default seasonings are garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and celery seed.  Rinse off chicken, pat dry, season, bake, eat.  Such a time and stress saver when cooking for a family of 6 (more if the boyfriends are over).  Chop some romaine, shave some asiago, slice mushrooms, toast some Brazil nuts for a salad. 
5cm1z8.jpg

nl7kfl.jpg

Had some extra mushrooms, some bacon grease, and a ton of garlic so I decided to make some sauteed mushrooms too (with pasta for everyone else, plain for me - pasta :yuck):
2vlm7n8.jpg

Rapstah

Here's my weekly "put everything I have into a frying pan" dish. Looks pretty good, I'll have to see if it is edible.

hsWZ4.png

I am also horrible at taking photos.

Zyzyxxz

steak night! Hard to resist splurging when your local market sells prime grade bone-in ribeyes for $11/lb (17 euros/kg for the rest of you's)

Get alot of that kosher salt for a nice crust and letting it sit at room temp for over an hour
5947155096_bae505d688_b.jpg

After searing, baking, and then basting in brown butter gotta let it rest for 20 minutes since this is such a thick steak.
5946601619_5351560e39_b.jpg

Unfortunately a tad overcooked since I prefer more medium rare, my thermometer needs to be replaced it seems.
5946601849_37cb11050c_b.jpg

Lamel

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
steak night! Hard to resist splurging when your local market sells prime grade bone-in ribeyes for $11/lb (17 euros/kg for the rest of you's)

Get alot of that kosher salt for a nice crust and letting it sit at room temp for over an hour

After searing, baking, and then basting in brown butter gotta let it rest for 20 minutes since this is such a thick steak.

Unfortunately a tad overcooked since I prefer more medium rare, my thermometer needs to be replaced it seems.

God DAMN. I want some now.

Zyzyxxz

Tom Penny said:
I didn't know people used thermometers when cooking a steak. A prime rib or roast I could see though.

I normally don't, most of the time I cook by feel, by now I have cooked enough steaks at home to know how a rare steak feels but most of the time its been on steaks 1.5 inch thick at the most, this was my first time cooking a 2 inch thick steak and I had trouble telling by feel.

Schrade

Zyzyxxz said:

[IMG ]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6003/5947155096_bae505d688_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6027/5946601619_5351560e39_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/5946601849_37cb11050c_b.jpg[/IMG]
That steak looks perfectly cooked for my tastes. Just a little bit of color but not bleeding. That looks awesome.

beelzebozo said:
dutch baby pancake. i ate this two days running this weekend.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/OEqbH.jpg[/IMG]
FUCK I used to order those at a German diner type restaurant here named Ken's. Fucking LOVED those things so much! Sprinkle powdered sugar on them and squeeze lemons onto the powdered sugar. SO damn awesome!!

That looks heavenly. Can you give a recipe and cooking instructions?

it pains me to see a steak like that overcooked :(

i use a thermometer as well, usually for the same reason (steak more than 1" thick). i'd rather get it perfect and deal with piercing it 1 or 2 times.

Esch

Banned
Goddamnit why is good steak soooooo good? It's just a cut of meat with the most minimal seasoning but it's still amazing...

Razorwind

Rapstah said:
Here's my weekly "put everything I have into a frying pan" dish. Looks pretty good, I'll have to see if it is edible.

hsWZ4.png

I am also horrible at taking photos.

Looks yummy!~

I do this too once in a while.

My experience with eggs is to try whip it with either milk or canned soup. Add cheese if available. Then pour in only at the last moment, and stir like mad! A slightly higher pot would be good for this.

Tomatoes wise. I add half of what I have into the sauce to cook/fry with the pasta, half reserve. I later add the tomatoes seperately.

You can also grill them tomatoes, turn it up on high and char them a bit, add some balsamic vinegar..hMMMMMM!!! Works well also with green/red peppers strips.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I haven't cooked anything exciting in a while. Tonight, I'm making skirt steak again. meh.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

Yeah I have a meat shop that has ridiculous deals on prime delmonicos etc. Sorry about the overcook. I don't even bother with the thermometer anymore....I just seem to have a sixth sense with it lately on the grill.

Basically I let it rest for 1 hour room temp, salt and pepper like you do. Get grill up to 450-500, oil grates. 3 minutes down and covered, rotate 90 degrees for cross-hatch grill marks, 3 minutes covered. Flip, 3 and 3 again for a total of 12 minutes. Let rest 8-10 minutes. Usually comes out a perfect medium rare on a 1.5 - 2 inch steak.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I decided to make a no bake blueberry cheesecake. Of course, I couldn't resist turning it into a metroid. :)

2Dxbwl.jpg

Nothing too pretty; certainly not as good as the stuff from dyon, but I'm pretty proud of it, and it tasted good!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Zyzyxxz said:

did you keep it covered with that foil while it rested for 20 minutes? That would account for the more doneness than you expected.

Zyzyxxz

levious said:
did you keep it covered with that foil while it rested for 20 minutes? That would account for the more doneness than you expected.

yup, I didn't expect the residual heat to cook it that much more though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MORE STEAK

Went to the store. I am not the greatest cook. 16 oz. porterhouse. Stovetop only.

The filet part was amazing. The New York part was dry and chewy. I'm not sure what I did, maybe I pressed too much on the New York side??
*I know I'm not really supposed to press, but I like a nice crisp sear on the bottom.

ynGIZ.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Schrade said:
FUCK I used to order those at a German diner type restaurant here named Ken's. Fucking LOVED those things so much! Sprinkle powdered sugar on them and squeeze lemons onto the powdered sugar. SO damn awesome!!

sorry i'm taking so long to get back to you! i have been crazy swamped. of course i will share. let me type it up later today and i'll give you a rundown of what i did.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
SonnyBoy said:
Can you guys give any additional tips on searing steaks? I've just been encourage by your posts to give this a try!

If you have an electric stove then warm the pan first for about 2 minutes on 7 or 8 heat. Add about a tablespoon of oil, let it warm up for about 1 1/2 minutes, move it around the pan if it smokes a bit then your good to go. Pat your steaks dry, throw salt and pepper and sear. A minute to a minute and a half into searing the first side throw a tablespoon of butter and spread it out. Flip steak, done.

Seam

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Wow great pizzas guys! And lol, that Metroid pizza. I have to admit, I didn't know what it was at first glance.

It's too hot to make pizza here now, but I did make some pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden:
5941354577_a3651f3f1d.jpg

I saw your post on your blog, looks very delicious! My mom is having her own little garden, hope I can make something like this very soon.

I guess this question is more for the European/UK IronGafers .. but I've been reading Game of Thrones and they talk about a pease pie which sounds like a pie filled with peas and bacon. Is there a real life recipe for this? Kind of sounds like shepherds pie but without mashed potatoes maybe?

CrankyJay

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Wow great pizzas guys! And lol, that Metroid pizza. I have to admit, I didn't know what it was at first glance.

It's too hot to make pizza here now, but I did make some pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden:
5941354577_a3651f3f1d.jpg

Nice and simple. I love it.

cryptic

It saddens me that I can't find any grass fed porterhouses or delmonicos nearby as I really don't like to eat gran fed steaks. All these pictures make me jealous.

CrankyJay

Banned
Tonight's dinner was Bacon Cheddar Meatloaf with Cheese and Breadcrumb stuffed Anaheim Peppers

I fried the bacon in a cast iron skillet, and then sauteed a bunch of chopped onion in the bacon grease and added that to my meatloaf mix.

Meatloaf with Ketchup Glaze

DcTnn.jpg

Anaheim Peppers

FqWWb.jpg

Cross-section of the Meatloaf with Cheddar and Bacon

ANKrV.jpg

Plating

NjDGn.jpg

Hazaro said:
*I know I'm not really supposed to press, but I like a nice crisp sear on the bottom.

Make sure the steak is at room temp before doing anything to it. Salt the shit out of the steak using KOSHER salt. Little bit of olive oil, pre-heat the pan on high, and cook on HIGH for a couple of minutes per side. When done, let the steak rest for 5 minutes or so. The salt + high heat will give a nice char/crust. That'll give it a rare to medium rare.

Depending on how you like the doneness, cook for a little longer with reduced heat, or put it in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees. I usually finish off the steak by putting it in the oven.

FLIP ONCE.
NEVER PRESS.

also, don't enter the Steak GAF thread if you like your steaks well-done.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
CRANKY JAY, good lord, that meatloaf!!!!

Schrade said:

here's the recipe i used! sorry so late.

FGaHJ.jpg

Adam J. said:
Hey IronGAF, can you pan-sear a burger patty? I got some ground beef and want to make the perfect burger.
can you? yes. That's all I know, I'll let someone who can actually cook really well help with the rest.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Adam J. said:
Hey IronGAF, can you pan-sear a burger patty? I got some ground beef and want to make the perfect burger.

not only can you, but i highly recommend it. the solid crust you can get on a pan-seared burger is a lot more appetizing to me than the uneven char of a grill.

put in your ball of beef, press it once to make sure you've got good contact with the pan, and let it sear. man, i can just envision this crust in my head!

LOOK!

20090918-smash-result.jpg

Ramma2

One time I had to fry up my burgers on the stove when my grill ran out of propane. Blew my mind they were so good.

You can't explain that.

CrystalGemini said:
Quick and easy chicken quarters for dinner ($.99/lb at Safeway right now  :hyper).  My default seasonings are garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and celery seed.  Rinse off chicken, pat dry, season, bake, eat.  Such a time and stress saver when cooking for a family of 6 (more if the boyfriends are over).  Chop some romaine, shave some asiago, slice mushrooms, toast some Brazil nuts for a salad. 
5cm1z8.jpg

nl7kfl.jpg

Had some extra mushrooms, some bacon grease, and a ton of garlic so I decided to make some sauteed mushrooms too (with pasta for everyone else, plain for me - pasta :yuck):
2vlm7n8.jpg

Ok, I need the EXACT heat that you used for that chicken. It's simply PERFECTION. I am never able to get my chicken with that type of crispy crusty skin. It looks to die for.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright Iron Gaf. I need some delicious, healthy, low carb, cheap recipes for weekend lunches and dinners. Yes, that's a lot of qualifiers, but I need to keep myself eating healthy and get myself to stop eating out on the weekends. Any suggestions? Cheap meat dishes or chicken dishes maybe?

Talon

Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright Iron Gaf. I need some delicious, healthy, low carb, cheap recipes for weekend lunches and dinners. Yes, that's a lot of qualifiers, but I need to keep myself eating healthy and get myself to stop eating out on the weekends. Any suggestions? Cheap meat dishes or chicken dishes maybe?
Start cooking more fish.

Protein: Fish/Chicken
Vegetable: Asparagus, Broccolini, Spinach, etc. and/or green salad in a light vinaigrette
Carb: Whole what cous cous, brown rice, none - whatever you want.

Zyzyxxz

Giant Robot said:
Make sure the steak is at room temp before doing anything to it. Salt the shit out of the steak using KOSHER salt. Little bit of olive oil, pre-heat the pan on high, and cook on HIGH for a couple of minutes per side. When done, let the steak rest for 5 minutes or so. The salt + high heat will give a nice char/crust. That'll give it a rare to medium rare.

Depending on how you like the doneness, cook for a little longer with reduced heat, or put it in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees. I usually finish off the steak by putting it in the oven.

FLIP ONCE.
NEVER PRESS.

also, don't enter the Steak GAF thread if you like your steaks well-done.

I would advise against oilve oil, especially if you are using a cast iron pan. If you are going to use olive oil don't use extra virgin because it has a very low smoke point, only use pomace or extra light olive oils.

LovingSteam said:
Ok, I need the EXACT heat that you used for that chicken. It's simply PERFECTION. I am never able to get my chicken with that type of crispy crusty skin. It looks to die for.

400 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes on the center rack. Every oven and every piece of chicken is different so keep that in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom