• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Do you have time to brine the chicken?

Try a high concentration salt brine for about an 1-2 hours with some sugar too.

Then season in pepper and sear the breast, glaze it in the oven with a soy, maple reduction.

Might as well do a side salad with xeres vinegar and if you have walnut oil or some sort of nutty oil.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just moved into a new place with my gf and loving the freedom Im getting in the kitchen.. My old housemate was a nightmare.. ugh

IMAG0083.jpg

Ingredients for my noodles.

IMAG0087.jpg

Finished :)

IMAG0101.jpg

Butter chicken, this took me a while as had to marinade the chicken thighs for 24 hours in my spice and yogurt mix and then when grilling the tandoori chicken the grill wasn't hot enough.

IMAG0072.jpg

Dinner at my parents. Muscles, squid and snapper with pasta and a glass of nice white.

IMAG0036-1.jpg

Honey prawns I cooked up the other weekend.

IMAG0038-1.jpg

Turned out nice.

IMAG0020.jpg

Vindaloo featuring Trinidad Scorpion chilli (http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/aussies-grow-worlds-hottest-chilli.htm)1,463,700 Scoville heat units!
My god was it hot!

IMAG0055.jpg

Last Sundays slow cooked blade steak, potato, peas and corn and last but not least Yorkshire puddings :)

IMAG0109.jpg

Last nights dinner (try to be healthy during the week)

IMAG0081.jpg

Followed by a wee night cap!

I know this has probably been asked 1 million times but does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality kitchen knife? I cant spend a fortune on one but good quality/price would be perfect :)

Zyzyxxz

Victorinox chef's knife, they use to be $20 but ever since word got out they make the best knife for your money its gone up to $30 USD still a decent deal since everything else in that price range is pure shit.

Shawsie64

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Victorinox chef's knife, they use to be $20 but ever since word got out they make the best knife for your money its gone up to $30 USD still a decent deal since everything else in that price range is pure shit.

Thanks ill check it out, appreciated :)

MrBig

On the subject of knives, I'm going to have to buy a new set of kitchen/steak knives soon. My current set has been left to their serated sides alone for the last year or two. Can't spend too much at the moment but if anyone has good suggestions I'll go ahead and pick them up when I can.

kudos.

I'm going to culinary school in the fall and I dabble now with experimenting while I still have my fathering buying the groceries. I recently bought Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques and it is very dry but extremely useful for learning various tasks. Can anyone recommend any other essential books for cooking? It doesn't have to be about techniques, it could even be about food philosophy, but is there anything that someone can strongly recommend for a starter?

Something pertaining to plating techniques would be even better, though.

jet1911

prlqT.jpg

CaKum.jpg

Strawberries "gratin". Sabayon is made with ice cider. It was my first time eating this dessert and it won't be the last. Sooooooooooo good!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
kudos. said:
I'm going to culinary school in the fall and I dabble now with experimenting while I still have my fathering buying the groceries. I recently bought Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques and it is very dry but extremely useful for learning various tasks. Can anyone recommend any other essential books for cooking? It doesn't have to be about techniques, it could even be about food philosophy, but is there anything that someone can strongly recommend for a starter?

Something pertaining to plating techniques would be even better, though.
That question gave me the idea of making a post on cooking/kitchen literature. My first suggestion would be Harold McGee's "On Food and cooking".

Dear posters, please share your recommendations on the matter and if possible, provide the GAFazon links.

As for the recent contributions, thanks to everybody, looks delicious as always! :)

I'll be hosting a big summer BBQ on July 18th for my members, if any GAFfer is interested, feel free to come over.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166269710105606

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Hey cooking GAF. I have a request. There used to be a Mexican restaurant called El Rey here in Austin (I think it just moved way north?) Anyways, the food wasn't very good but mannn it had the best salsa.

I want some restaurant style salsa and I've tried many and have failed. I'm looking for some hot shit too. None of that mild stuff.

Any suggestions and/or recipes would be greatly appreciated :D

lemonbuttercreamcake00w7v1.jpg

lemonbuttercreamcake00c78y.jpg

Lime cake with lemon flavoured butter cream. Photos taken with an old cybershot so not the best quality.

PS. how do you stop the center from rising so much stronger than the rest?

beelzebozo said:
i built a little black egg pizza oven and tested it recently. here are some shots i took. i was pretty busy making pizza for a lot of people, so forgive me if my pictures are scant.

(images)

heat management was the biggest obstacle, but i procured a laser thermometer to better be able to gauge it. next time i won't have so much fluctuation in the quality of the pies; i need the stone to hit about 750 degrees F i think for the top and bottom to be done concurrently in about three and a half to four minutes. i can get the stone up to 900+, but the top finishes later than the bottom and it's just a burnt mess!

but this was fun and tasty.
very cool. i think you've inspired me to try something similar...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
scissorfight said:
very cool. i think you've inspired me to try something similar...

coincidentally, making some more tonight. i got this temp gun, as i said, which hopefully will let me control the heat better.

34i7D.jpg

will try to remember to take some pictures of my pies and update you. and certainly my successes and failures and little tricks, i will be happy to share them.

i'm thinking mounting a stone in the roof of the oven will help hold and reflect heat better, but i'm just not sure how to manage it yet.

Well, I finally grabbed and popped open that jar of Tiger Tiger Vindaloo today---they are not kidding about it being a fair bit spicier than the Tandoori Paste. It is very tasty though and rather different than anything else I've ran into given there's the "paste" component but also some sort of oil/liquid one that the lot of it is suspended in.

I look forward to seeing how it plays with the odd "cheese" situation I've on deck for this week...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
otake said:
I've only had Three Rivers columbia Valley and Champoux single vineyards. They are good, but they can't touch a rutherford cab for example.

Don't think I've had anything from Rutherford (assuming it's a winery and not just a vineyard/district). I've had Maybach Materium '06 which was spectacular! But then it's $250 or so in here in Sweden, so it should be...

CrankyJay

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Here's some slow cooked pork lion roast with sauerkraut and potatoes. Again, sorry for the bad quality picture.

Xu82ol.jpg

It turned out pretty good, but a little dry. Every time I use the slow cooker, the meat always comes out dry. Does anyone know why? Could it be that I cook it for too long?

Also, does anyone know a good recipe for tamales? I want to make some, and I have fresh corn husks (you can use these, right?) but can't find any good recipes online. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Nice Metroid cake, MetroidKiller!

You could try taking it out earlier (start at 30 minutes earlier, and if that is still overdone, try 1 hour).

Let the meat rest on a cutting board (not in the crock pot) for a good 10-20 minutes so the juices settle.

If that fails, try adding some liquid (if you haven't already) to the crockpot to keep it moist in there.

GiJoccin

Gen.Grievous said:
Lime cake with lemon flavoured butter cream. Photos taken with an old cybershot so not the best quality.

PS. how do you stop the center from rising so much stronger than the rest?

I NEED A RECIPE NOWWWWW

GiJoccin said:
I NEED A RECIPE NOWWWWW
The lime cake recipe is from a very nice website, it is however in Dutch but the google translated version works.

Yummy in my tummy

For the butter cream I used:
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 125 grams unsalted butter
- 250 grams powdered sugar

Cream butter, sift in powdered sugar in a few batches add lemon zest and juice and mix.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Axion22 said:
Afternoon, all. been awhile.
I found this recipe on tastespotting awhile back.

General Tso’s Chicken

This is the original
5864168326_768ff3028c.jpg

Thumbs up on the recipe, really nice and crispy marinade/batter.

Here's my try!

MmTZPl.jpg

General Tso isn't my favorite, but this was still pretty good! The recipe called for one large egg white, but I only had small eggs, so I used two. It made the batter too runny, so the chicken didn't get very crispy. I also overcooked the rice for some reason, which is weird because I usually make good rice...:( But overall, it was a hit with everyone. Thanks for posting the recipe, Axion22! ;p

beelzebozo said:
pizza night again for me & my lady
used some leftover dough/ingredients, turned down the temp on the pizza oven, made a calzone

Mmmmm....These look fantastic!

CrankyJay said:
You could try taking it out earlier (start at 30 minutes earlier, and if that is still overdone, try 1 hour).

Let the meat rest on a cutting board (not in the crock pot) for a good 10-20 minutes so the juices settle.

If that fails, try adding some liquid (if you haven't already) to the crockpot to keep it moist in there.

Thanks for the tips. ;p I did add some liquid, but probably not enough. I also didn't leave the meat on the cutting board. I know to do that, but I was too hungry, so I just cut it right away.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
slidewinder said:
Looking pretty good. Do you have to make adjustments to your dough for cooking at those temps?

apart from making it a little less wet, not really. it's still a peter reinhart variation. bread flour, olive oil, water, salt, sugar, yeast. that's it. though that shot of the bottom of the pizza looks "burnt," it tasted quite a lot like the coal oven pizza i've had before. the high heat does magic shit to pizza.

onkel, my crust always gets soggy on the calzones when i don't vent the crust! they steam. i can't stand for crust that doesn't have bite.

CrankyJay

Banned
beelzebozo said:
apart from making it a little less wet, not really. it's still a peter reinhart variation. bread flour, olive oil, water, salt, sugar, yeast. that's it. though that shot of the bottom of the pizza looks "burnt," it tasted quite a lot like the coal oven pizza i've had before. the high heat does magic shit to pizza.

onkel, my crust always gets soggy on the calzones when i don't vent the crust! they steam. i can't stand for crust that doesn't have bite.

Dude, your calzone in the last picture looks professional grade.

MrBig

beelzebozo said:

Yes, that happens to me too when I do heavily loaded calzones. It looks damned amazing.

Eventually my porch is going to have to have its foundation taken out and be rebuilt, and when that happens I'm building a brick oven just for making pizza

-viper-

Banned
Vire said:
A summer time meal I prepared for some friends and I:

Grilled Sesame Chicken with Flavored Green Beans and Farfalle

hLHxV.jpg

It was really delicious.
This looks like a nice and simple meal for a noob cook like myself :p

How did you make it?

What is this? All these pizza entries!

Anyway continuing my Metroid food project, I'm joining in on the fun.

Was much harder... erm... sculpting pizza topping than I thought. (I should probably have made it round...)

Here's an image for reference:
0.jpg

Edit: Oh new page. I hope you don't mind me reposting this:

Hello IronGaf!

The 25th anniversary of the Metroid franchise is closing in (August 6th), and for the special occasion I'm organizing a big celebration thread for the gaming side. I'm trying to get various gaffers across the forums to participate, and after asking OnkelC about a possible contribution we agreed that the rest of IronGaf should join in on the fun.

Goal: Make any kind of food with some kind of reference to the Metroid franchise. Metroid cupcakes? Samus helmet pizza?:)p) Mother Brain tartare? (gross!), the imagination is the limit.

When: Feel free to post your contributions here in this thread from now till August 5 when the thread will launch at gaming side. Any contributions will be posted in the anniversary thread with due credit obviously.

Looking forward to see what some of you will come up with :)

Wow great pizzas guys! And lol, that Metroid pizza. I have to admit, I didn't know what it was at first glance.

It's too hot to make pizza here now, but I did make some pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden:
5941354577_a3651f3f1d.jpg

As unsummery as can be, but I've got a great-smelling "sunday gravy" sort of ragu on the stove. I browned some beef back ribs and pork neck bones in a big pot, removed them and very quickly browned some chopped garlic before deglazing with red wine, and then threw the bones and ribs back in, covered them with pureed canned tomatoes and brought it all to a very slow simmer with a lid on but cracked to let some moisture slowly escape.

Once the ribs get really tender (should be around 3-4 hours total), I'll pull the meat and let it cool while I up the heat on the sauce, uncover it fully, and start letting it reduce. Once the meat's cool I'll pick it from the bones, discarding as much fat as possible, and return it to the reducing sauce.

Zyzyxxz

abstract alien said:
^^^^^^Damn that is blissful

Also, I was thinking we could possibly get an IronGAF Circle going on Google+. We should get one started up...
Good idea but I need to be invited too.

1YJ0Z.jpg

Special: Tiger Tiger Vindaloo
Cheese: Antonella Pepperoni & Marinara Formaggio
Crumble: Crackelsnax Veggie Squares

Vindaloo is awesome and adds a hearty kick of flavour and heat, the crumble is an odd texture, but works well, and the cheese behaved rather similarly to mozzarealla in that it melted fast, wasn't oily, and was generally a smooth and pleasant experience. This is the first cheese I've ever had with THIS much mixed in with it stock standard----seems to have fared pretty well in terms of the extra tastes and seasoning if contributed on the whole.

Zyzyxxz said:
Good idea but I need to be invited too.
Cool, let me just get your email addr...

Maiar_m said:
PM me an email adress and you're a Google+ member.
Looks like I'm late lol. But yeah, I thought it would work out really well for something such as this. We could have our IronGAF circle and post recipes, cooking tutorials, photos...all kinds of stuff. Maybe new tools we've been using, what brands to stay away from or cling to. This could be epic!

We could even have our own IronGAF Huddle messages!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here's a bunch of crap I've cooked lately, none of it particularly fancy but whatever.

Sweet / Sour stir fry
br1iquw.jpg
br28o17.jpg

Roast veggie platter at 3am
rbqem.jpg

Curry potato soup
curryt29x.jpg

Pizza!
pizzaznz8.jpg

The pizza was made extra awesome by mixing in some vindaloo paste into the olive/tomato paste base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom