• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Talon- said:
Start cooking more fish.

Protein: Fish/Chicken
Vegetable: Asparagus, Broccolini, Spinach, etc. and/or green salad in a light vinaigrette
Carb: Whole what cous cous, brown rice, none - whatever you want.

Well the issue is that I live in Iowa, and fish is not cheap at all. I do love fish though.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright Iron Gaf. I need some delicious, healthy, low carb, cheap recipes for weekend lunches and dinners. Yes, that's a lot of qualifiers, but I need to keep myself eating healthy and get myself to stop eating out on the weekends. Any suggestions? Cheap meat dishes or chicken dishes maybe?

I'm eating the crap out of cauliflower 'rice'. Grate fresh cauliflower in a food processor, sautee some onions in a pan, add cauliflower, cumin, some low sugar salsa and sautee lightly. Top with some Mexican cheese blend. It's delicous. To make it into black beans and rice, I add black soy beans with only 8carbs and 7 grams of fiber. With that I make stir fry beef season it with Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning. Stir fry it with thick slices of brown mushrooms, portabella or crimini not the white crap. I cut down on my beef and saturated fat that way as well. I make another Mexican style meal with the cauliflower black beans and rice by stir frying mushrooms, chicken breast and green chilies.

You can also make fake mash potatoes out of cauliflower or turn it into fried rice with fish, shrimp and veggies. The fake mash goes great with steak.

I grill lots of other veggies like squash bell peppers, green onions. Toss them with cubed tomato, cucumber add some feta cheese, fresh basil and a olive oil vinaigrette. Key when grilling vegetables, just char them don't over cook them. They need to still be crunchy especially the squash. Taste so much better.

I marinate lean meats like London Broil or eye of round. Grill them and slice them thinly againts the grain. Delicious on salads, cheap and there's a lot of meat in a big london broil.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Well the issue is that I live in Iowa, and fish is not cheap at all. I do love fish though.

Do you have a Costco around you? They sell very cheap tilapia and trout. I hate tilapia so I stick with their halibut and salmon. They also sell really good and inexpensive Salmon and Turkey burgers. Last night I made Turkey cheese burgers topped with tomato, thin slices of red onion(onions have carbs so go easy) avocado and mayo with Tapatio hot sauce mixed in on a 'bun' of butter lettuce.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My first post here, but I cook a lot!

Yesterday I made mini blackberry pies infused with black tea and orange. I read about a blackberry and black tea Popsicle, and decided to try it out in a pie.

199921_2309966108481_1229215806_32897228_7834555_n.jpg

I simmered 3 tbs the tea in about a 3rd cup of water, then strained them, and mixed in the sugar normally used in the filling to make a simple thick syrup. Then I proceeded to make pies as normal.

They are pretty amazing. I am quite proud of myself. I tend to have a hard time with pies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
VelvetMouth said:
Do you have a Costco around you? They sell very cheap tilapia and trout. I hate tilapia so I stick with their halibut and salmon. They also sell really good and inexpensive Salmon and Turkey burgers. Last night I made Turkey cheese burgers topped with tomato, thin slices of red onion(onions have carbs so go easy) avocado and mayo with Tapatio hot sauce mixed in on a 'bun' of butter lettuce.

Thanks for the cauliflower tip, I'll have to try that out.

Nope, no Costco, but we do have a Sam's Club. Maybe I'll try there...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Deadly Cyclone said:
Thanks for the cauliflower tip, I'll have to try that out.

Nope, no Costco, but we do have a Sam's Club. Maybe I'll try there...

sam's club should have great prices on seafood and meats. and usually pretty impressive in size.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Stuck with writer's block on an essay I've been trying to start for, like, five hours, so my natural reaction is to... roast half a chicken. Why the hell not.

IMG_2870.jpg

SonnyBoy said:
Can you guys give any additional tips on searing steaks? I've just been encourage by your posts to give this a try!

Here's the classic Alton Brown Steak method (Great Sear it brings). I used it succesfully for a good bit of time until I ended up not taking care of my Cast Iron Pan. Now I cook on Stainless Steel.

What you need:
1. Cast Iron Pan that can withstand 500 F (most can I believe). Buy the cheap lodge ones from Amazon.
2. Peanut Oil (or oil with a high smoke point)

Steps:
1. Pre-heat oven to 500F. Put Cast Iron Pan in oven during this process
2. Once pre-heated, turn on stove to high. Put pan on the stove.
3. During this make sure the steak is dry, at room temperatue and seasoned with Oil (peanut or otherwise) and Salt/Pepper/Whatever you like
4. Put Steak on Pan (don't touch it again). Sear one side for 30-45 seconds depending on how you like it.
5. Flip and Sear the other side
6. Once searing is done, put pan in oven that is at 500F from 2-4 minutes depending on your temperature preference.
7. On a big plate, put a smaller bown/plate on which to stand your steak. Take steak out, put on this plate, cover with Foil for 3-5 minutes.
8. Eat.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Had my first go at making chutney last weekend. Pineapple and mango chutney it goes really good with grilled chicken and fish.

dyonPT

Maklershed said:
Nothing from dyonPT yet? I was looking forward to the Saturday morning update. :b

:D

You made me a big smile !!

Here is my contribuction this week:

Chocolate and Caramel cookies with coconut and almonds!

DSC08957.JPG

12312323.jpg

DSC08894.JPG

DSC09038.JPG

Why is it that every time I'm feeling very hungry I tend to wander into this thread... Glutton for punishment.
Too bad I never took pictures of my food when I was cooking for myself while in university, it would be a nice way to make everyone else feel so much better about posting their own creations.

Maklershed said:
I guess this question is more for the European/UK IronGafers .. but I've been reading Game of Thrones and they talk about a pease pie which sounds like a pie filled with peas and bacon. Is there a real life recipe for this? Kind of sounds like shepherds pie but without mashed potatoes maybe?

I haven't heard of a Pease pie, but Pease pudding is a side dish from(or at least famous in) Northern England, perhaps it could be baked in a pie?

Recipe

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Zyzyxxz said:
steak night! Hard to resist splurging when your local market sells prime grade bone-in ribeyes for $11/lb (17 euros/kg for the rest of you's)

Get alot of that kosher salt for a nice crust and letting it sit at room temp for over an hour
5947155096_bae505d688_b.jpg

After searing, baking, and then basting in brown butter gotta let it rest for 20 minutes since this is such a thick steak.
5946601619_5351560e39_b.jpg

Unfortunately a tad overcooked since I prefer more medium rare, my thermometer needs to be replaced it seems.
5946601849_37cb11050c_b.jpg

These are the best photographs of a steak I've ever seen.

I love you so much.

O6VIz.jpg

Didn't pan out so well tonight, but hey, progress~

Cheese: Neufchatel This cheese just doesn't do it for me---super soft and super bland which pretty much puts it in Paneer territory, perhaps a tad worse.

Crumble: Kettle Brand TIAS! Nacho Cheddar Good stuff regardless.

This week also wraps up my package of Capocollo---the hunt for another component begins anew next week!

CrankyJay

Banned
Tonight's Dinner: Prime Bone-In Delmonico steak (for me) and Prime Filet Mignon (for wife, although I stole some), with grilled balsamic portobella mushrooms and charred green onions.

I love the marbling on the Delmonico here. Fear not, both steaks were sea salted and crushed black peppered liberally.
kVucx.jpg

Tonight's wine of choice
5hB9c.jpg

Grill marks...gotta love 'em
yJsLw.jpg

Cross section of the filet
ywRx1.jpg

Finished Delmonico Plate
Uou2a.jpg

Maiar_m

And it looks yummy.

This weekend's treat was:

I usally use yeast, but these were last minute. Regular baking powder and buttermilk did the job.

totowhoa

Banned
Hey GAF. I just ate some of the best popcorn ever the other night.

My fiance and I make own own pop corn every once in a while, but just the other day my fiance had the bright idea of using bacon grease instead of oil. As usual we salted the bacon grease in the pain before popping the corn just as we would the oil (more even salty taste in the end if you do it this way). As soon as the pop corn finished popping in the bacon grease, we threw a fistful or two of cheddar cheese in to the popcorn and shuffled it around while it was still hot. It melted just a little bit and it tasted fucking amazing.

I didn't take a picture, but it just looked like popcorn. Nothing fancy. Tasted amazing. You guys should try it out.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Cranky_Jay, how was that CastleRock Wine? I'm a fan of napa cabs but I haven't had that one. I drink quite a bit of wine. On Monday me and my fiance drank a bottle of Condado de Haza Ribera del Duero Crianza 2007 ($22) and it was excellent but it needed two and a half hours to breathe. Yesterday, we drank J.Lohr Vineyards Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 ($15). Last Sunday I experienced a wine that smelled like poop and leather, a bordeaux, 2001 I think.

With Fillete Mignon, we typically go for a napa cab, usually Hendry or Peju. We've just started discovering Rutherford and Oakville, we've been blown away! Especially by Oakville.

While I enjoy the pics of the delicious food on here, I'd like to also see what you guys are using to prepare these foods (ie your knives).

Love to see what you guys are using to cut your food and create these fine dishes.

Zyzyxxz

DarkJediKnight said:
While I enjoy the pics of the delicious food on here, I'd like to also see what you guys are using to prepare these foods (ie your knives).

Love to see what you guys are using to cut your food and create these fine dishes.

wait till I get my $800 in Williams Sonoma gift cards, I'll have a shit load of new toys to play with.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
DarkJediKnight said:

Zwilling 4**** all the way since I was a teenager.

smallCIMG1794.jpg

tsigo

CF_Fighter said:
What are these things, I keep seeing them on other pages? Figured I might as well ask.

They're pizzas. Always the same blurry photo at the same angle of some oddly shaped pizza with different toppings.

CF_Fighter said:
What are these things, I keep seeing them on other pages? Figured I might as well ask.

A thing akin to a pizza, yet using Naan bread of late compared to the old days of Gyro wraps and Panini. Also showcasing a variety of meat toppings, crumbles, cheeses, and sauces.

With an actual camera, better lighting, and such the pics would be better---and sometimes I can get more traditional dough to make a round one, but I do the best I can.

CrankyJay

Banned
otake said:
Cranky_Jay, how was that CastleRock Wine? I'm a fan of napa cabs but I haven't had that one. I drink quite a bit of wine. On Monday me and my fiance drank a bottle of Condado de Haza Ribera del Duero Crianza 2007 ($22) and it was excellent but it needed two and a half hours to breathe. Yesterday, we drank J.Lohr Vineyards Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 ($15). Last Sunday I experienced a wine that smelled like poop and leather, a bordeaux, 2001 I think.

With Fillete Mignon, we typically go for a napa cab, usually Hendry or Peju. We've just started discovering Rutherford and Oakville, we've been blown away! Especially by Oakville.

I love J.Lohr. The CastleRock was good. We used a Vinturi Aerator instead of letting it breathe for a few hours. It was a decent cab, but was missing a little of that zing/finish I like in a cab. Maybe it was slightly sour. The words I am describing make it sound like dreck but it was serviceable, but not memorable.

I highly recommend the Louis Martini Napa Cabernet.

totowhoa

Banned
My first photo on IronGAF! I just got a camera, so that's why. Anyway, lunch came out looking pretty nice today so I snapped it:

sammich.jpg

Banh Mi! One of my favorite sandwiches.

For the bahn mi, did you use straight up cucumber and carrots or were they pickled in some way? I've been looking for a good recipe for that type of sandwich but I remember the vegetables tended to be pickled at least traditionally

totowhoa

Banned
fadetoblack said:
For the bahn mi, did you use straight up cucumber and carrots or were they pickled in some way? I've been looking for a good recipe for that type of sandwich but I remember the vegetables tended to be pickled at least traditionally

I marinate the crunchy veggies (including the shallots on there) in rice vinegar with some sugar. I use about a tea spoon of sugar when I'm marinating enough veggies for four 6 inch sandwiches. You don't have to have to marinate them long either. Just toss 'em in there and let them set while you do everything else. I just leave them in the vinegar when I refrigerate my leftovers -- they won't be too vinegary the next day or anything

CrankyJay

Banned
Sklorenz said:
My first photo on IronGAF! I just got a camera, so that's why. Anyway, lunch came out looking pretty nice today so I snapped it:

sammich.jpg

Bahn Mi! One of my favorite sandwiches.

Looks tasty. Welcome to Iron GAF!

Just came back from a small vacation, and I'm more than happy to see a few edible Metroids have appeard. And who says Metroids have to look pretty Onkel? :p

RatskyWatsky said:
I decided to make a no bake blueberry cheesecake. Of course, I couldn't resist turning it into a metroid. :)

2Dxbwl.jpg

OnkelC said:
Tried to recreate htis recip and failed with the couverture (got too hot):
077_DxO.jpg

If anyone else want to make some Metroidy food stuff you have until Friday(7 days) when we launch a big Metroid anniversary thread over at gaming.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
CrankyJay said:
I love J.Lohr. The CastleRock was good. We used a Vinturi Aerator instead of letting it breathe for a few hours. It was a decent cab, but was missing a little of that zing/finish I like in a cab. Maybe it was slightly sour. The words I am describing make it sound like dreck but it was serviceable, but not memorable.

I highly recommend the Louis Martini Napa Cabernet.

What vintage?

Hat an oregon 2008 pinot noir the other night, with pork sausage, rice and red beans, it was an excellent pairing.

ElectricThunder said:
A thing akin to a pizza, yet using Naan bread of late compared to the old days of Gyro wraps and Panini. Also showcasing a variety of meat toppings, crumbles, cheeses, and sauces.

With an actual camera, better lighting, and such the pics would be better---and sometimes I can get more traditional dough to make a round one, but I do the best I can.

Ok so that's what the bread was. I knew they were pizzas, just had never seen them on naan before. The combinations are interesting and sound appetizing from time to time.

CF_Fighter said:
Ok so that's what the bread was. I knew they were pizzas, just had never seen them on naan before. The combinations are interesting and sound appetizing from time to time.

Cool. I just have a thing about flatbread/ish things apparently in terms of pizza. There's lots of other things I'd like to take a crack at in this regard beyond the likes of this, tortillas, and so forth---Injera seems like it'd make for an interesting candidate if I could find some...

Flo

Made this salad a few days ago, tasted very good. Never made such crunchy onion rings before. The orange, vomit like substance is lentils with the onions on top. The white is a mixture of goat's cheese and Greek yoghurt.
25hfwg2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom