• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
My boss showed me that recipe a few weeks ago. Did you really use 3 full bottles of red wine? That seems like a complete waste to me.

I did 1/3 the recipe and also if you aren't keen on using 3 bottles to make the full recipe I recommend using those big gallon table wine jugs. They may be cheap and taste like eh but that's what we used at my last job and nobody could ever tell. They go for something like $10-13 for a big 1.5 gal jug.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I did 1/3 the recipe and also if you aren't keen on using 3 bottles to make the full recipe I recommend using those big gallon table wine jugs. They may be cheap and taste like eh but that's what we used at my last job and nobody could ever tell. They go for something like $10-13 for a big 1.5 gal jug.

Interesting...that goes against everything they say on cooking shows: Don't cheap out on cooking wine...cook with what you would drink. LOL. That would cost me $30-45 for this recipe.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All,

What are your suggestions for easy and simple (cheap) ingredient soups?

I like making soups, I just hate spending a ton on 30 ingredients.

Milchjon

Blasphemic Question:
Are there any meat alternatives to fish in sushi? Doesn't have to be authentic, as I've always been intrigued by the concept of sushi, but hate fish, especially raw.

CrankyJay

Banned
Milchjon said:
Blasphemic Question:
Are there any meat alternatives to fish in sushi? Doesn't have to be authentic, as I've always been intrigued by the concept of sushi, but hate fish, especially raw.

Cooked shrimp, cooked crab...

I guess you could try a rare/slightly rare cut of prime tenderloin nigri style over sushi rice.

CrankyJay

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
All,

French onion soup. You basically need onions and stock and a few other things.

suzu

Milchjon said:
Blasphemic Question:
You can put whatever you want in/on it. I like making beef rolls (makizushi / gimbap).

Ken

How do you make your own cake frosting? I try to mix whipped cream and sugar in a cold water bath, but it always seems to stay really liquidy.

Deadly Cyclone said:
All,

Soups are easy by default because you just throw everything into one pot. Here are some off the top of my head:

Cook diced onions and carrots till tender. Throw in some white beans (canned or already-cooked dried beans), some chopped kale, some water or broth, salt and pepper to taste. You can even throw in some chopped sausage if you're not vegetarian. Fried egg on top.

Chopped carrots and onion, cook in water with salt. Puree when the stuff is all soft. Stir in some miso.

Cooked diced onions, celery and carrots till tender. Put in some canned chopped tomatoes and potatoes. Add water. Cook till everything's soft. Throw in some shell or elbow shaped pasta.

Crumble up some dried wakame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakame), top with water. Add some chopped shiitake and soft tofu and salt. Cook for 10 mins. Stir in a beaten egg.

Milchjon said:
Blasphemic Question:

I've had non-fish nigiri at restaurants and they've usually been topped with:

- sweet egg omlette
- shiitake (braised or grilled or torched)
- eggplant
- enoki mushroom
- beef, lightly torched
- the stringy type of seaweed

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ken said:
How do you make your own cake frosting? I try to mix whipped cream and sugar in a cold water bath, but it always seems to stay really liquidy.

Those two things are only going to produce, well, a sweetened whipped cream. Not terribly effective as a cake frosting, although you certainly can whip it hard and long enough to firm up significantly, but it also breaks down rather quickly so the cake would need to be completely eaten the same evening.

For a traditional American buttercream (very sweet, very heavy), use a 4:1 ratio of sifted powdered/icing sugar and room temperature butter. Beat the butter for a couple of minutes, then add the sugar in two or three batches while mixing on low until incorporated, then flavor with a pinch of salt and some vanilla, and switch to mixing on high until it's fluffy.

An Italian buttercream is much nicer, but also more involved since it uses a meringue base and boiled sugar.

Hoping someone can help me track down a recipe I think I saw in here or some random bacon thread. You took a muffin pan and lined it with bacon. Then you dropped an egg in and baked it. After it was cooked it was topped with some fresh herbs. Ring a bell anyone?

thespot84

Harry Potter said:
Hoping someone can help me track down a recipe I think I saw in here or some random bacon thread. You took a muffin pan and lined it with bacon. Then you dropped an egg in and baked it. After it was cooked it was topped with some fresh herbs. Ring a bell anyone?

there's more to it than that?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Harry Potter said:

Be honest, you didn't even try to find this, right? ;) Every food blog on earth featured these things in the last year.

Bacon Egg Breakfast Cups
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 8 mins
ingredients:
4 eggs
4 slices of precooked bacon (if you are using raw bacon, make sure to heat it up so it is cooked about 50% before placing it into the molds)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tin with pam spray.
2. Line muffin pans with bacon so that it circles each mold.
3. Break an egg into the center of each mold. Bake for about 8 minutes or until egg is cooked to the doneness of your liking. Serve while warm.

Ken

CrankyJay said:
Are you mixing by hand or using a mixer?
Hand.

Those two things are only going to produce, well, a sweetened whipped cream. Not terribly effective as a cake frosting, although you certainly can whip it hard and long enough to firm up significantly, but it also breaks down rather quickly so the cake would need to be completely eaten the same evening.

For a traditional American buttercream (very sweet, very heavy), use a 4:1 ratio of sifted powdered/icing sugar and room temperature butter. Beat the butter for a couple of minutes, then add the sugar in two or three batches while mixing on low until incorporated, then flavor with a pinch of salt and some vanilla, and switch to mixing on high until it's fluffy.

An Italian buttercream is much nicer, but also more involved since it uses a meringue base and boiled sugar.

Do you know what kind of frosting is used for those cakes in Asian bakeries like in this picture (the triangle shaped ones):

6139557126_9d33c914bb.jpg

Don't have a ton of experience with baking (I've only made one pie that didn't come out terrible) but I do want to try making something like that since I really liked them before but don't really have a bakery around me in walking distance to get some.

Zoe

A lot of Asian cakes do just use whipped cream as the frosting. There are methods to add gelatin if you want it to be more stable.

Or just go the ghetto route (
as I do
) and use Cool Whip.

Love strawberry cake <3

Cosmic Bus said:
Be honest, you didn't even try to find this, right? ;) Every food blog on earth featured these things in the last year.

Bacon Egg Breakfast Cups
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 8 mins
ingredients:
4 eggs
4 slices of precooked bacon (if you are using raw bacon, make sure to heat it up so it is cooked about 50% before placing it into the molds)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tin with pam spray.
2. Line muffin pans with bacon so that it circles each mold.
3. Break an egg into the center of each mold. Bake for about 8 minutes or until egg is cooked to the doneness of your liking. Serve while warm.
Thanks! I did a quick search through my phone but I guess I wasn't wording it properly.

ChanHuk

Banned
nakedsushi said:
F-yeah! Where do you live? I haven't seen brussel sprouts at TJ yet but now you've made me super excited! Can't wait for some.

What are your favorite ways to make them?

I like just slicing them horizontally into thirds and pan-frying them with olive oil and shallots, then just some salt and pepper. It turns into kind of a hash. Delicious. If I'm feeling extra fancy, I'll throw in some tempeh bacon and diced potatoes.

Picked it up from their Santa Ana California store. $3 a stalk is one helluva deal.

Depending on if I'm making a large batch or small batch is how I cook them. Large batch, slice in half, toss them with olive oil and S+P. Into a hot oven they go for about 30-40 minutes. Little bit of lemon juice if I feel like it to finish.

If I'm making it for myself, I'll pan roast a couple of sprouts cut in half. Butter + olive oil for a couple of minutes, then add a little bit of water, cover, and let it steam for another couple of minutes. Finish with S+P, maybe some lemon juice or some basil if I have any available.

ffZ0V.jpg

Well, this was nice!

Cheese: Kefalograviera = Quite possibly the best of the Doesn't Really Melt, Yet Gets Soft slate of cheeses I've ever had----this thing is Greek Fury in cheese form. Maybe it just needed more time or higher temps, but screw it, this stuff is just awesome with a bit of saltiness to it.

Crumble: Nothing incredible, just some solid cheese puff representation from Brad's Organic Yellow Cheddar Blasted, oddly enough I think it is the first outright "puff" I've had in quite some time now---possibly years.

Next week is up in the air depending on what mom finds at the market this evening and/or making it back to Kroger again for a pair of semi-new ones.

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Cheese: Kefalograviera = Quite possibly the best of the Doesn't Really Melt, Yet Gets Soft slate of cheeses I've ever had----this thing is Greek Fury in cheese form. Maybe it just needed more time or higher temps, but screw it, this stuff is just awesome with a bit of saltiness to it.
I'm thinking of grabbing some haloumi for a pizza next weekend and shredding it up to mix a bit in with my moz. I had made a haloumi cheese bread by itself last time I used it and it was good.

Wish I could find it somewhere that wasn't as expensive as Whole Foods.

MrBig said:
I'm thinking of grabbing some haloumi for a pizza next weekend and shredding it up to mix a bit in with my moz. I had made a haloumi cheese bread by itself last time I used it and it was good.

Wish I could find it somewhere that wasn't as expensive as Whole Foods.

If you are feeling generous, there's a trick I was wondering about that you might try for me since I've yet to find this stuff after months of searching? Though I gotta say your plan on a shredding mix is pretty much exactly what I'd do otherwise.

See how it works if, directly on top of your dough, you add something of a thin, yet comprehensive, later of Haloumi----then top it as usual with your sauce, moz, etc. My thinking is that this will allow for the crust to especially crisp up and stand even less risk of getting soggy from direct sauce contact than if you just put moz under the sauce given the anti-melt/mess nature of the Haloumi while still getting said Haloumi nice and warm.

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
If you are feeling generous, there's a trick I was wondering about that you might try for me since I've yet to find this stuff after months of searching? Though I gotta say your plan on a shredding mix is pretty much exactly what I'd do otherwise.

See how it works if, directly on top of your dough, you add something of a thin, yet comprehensive, later of Haloumi----then top it as usual with your sauce, moz, etc. My thinking is that this will allow for the crust to especially crisp up and stand even less risk of getting soggy from direct sauce contact than if you just put moz under the sauce given the anti-melt/mess nature of the Haloumi while still getting said Haloumi nice and warm.
Maybe I'll do a small pie like that, but the cost is pretty prohibitive to do a normal pie like that. It was like $13 for a 4"x2"x1" block of it :lol
Will be a good experiment, though since I've started using my new dough recipe and upping my cooking temp I haven't had any problems with soggy dough

Natetan

Deadly Cyclone said:
All,

try going pot au feu style, using fewer ingredients cutting them up bigger

250px-Pot_au_feu2.jpg

I'm actually eating some right now. I had some simple black pepper soup base, and added a celery stalk cut only small enough so that it would fit in the pot, 2 whole onion quarters, a couple shimeji mushroom bunches, and some big cuts of daikon. You can use whatever you want really. It's quite satisfying to eat big vegetable/meat pieces in a broth.

and non-fish sushi, plenty of options. ume, natto, gobo/burdock root,

MrBig said:
Maybe I'll do a small pie like that, but the cost is pretty prohibitive to do a normal pie like that. It was like $13 for a 4"x2"x1" block of it :lol
Will be a good experiment, though since I've started using my new dough recipe and upping my cooking temp I haven't had any problems with soggy dough

Oh wow, that is expensive! No wonder you hope for a source beyond a Whole Foods, though I've heard those are really good places for finding all sorts of less-common foodstuffs.

You could try it with "flat rectangular" cheesy-sauced breadsticks on the side easier then? Gotta stretch that investment! I'd imagine the same principle would pretty much work in a smaller, different shape.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whoo! I made stuff that weren't disasters! Cooking confidence regained! :p

Creamy pumpkin and sweet potato soup finished with some lime zest:
72iCWl.jpg

Beef and mushroom stuffed acorn squash:
p3DUxl.jpg

Both were really good! Fist pump!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hey guys, my cast iron skillet keeps rusting on the bottom after I wash it. I've tried wipiing up the water up after each wash, but it still rusts. What am I doing wrong?

^-- maybe you need to season the bottom too? Do live in a very humid climate? With cast iron, after I rinse it with water and dry it off, I usually put it back on the stove for a couple of minutes with the heat turned to low just to be extra sure. Then I wipe it with a dab of oil in a paper towel. Maybe try that for the bottom too? But not too much oil!

Inside-bottom, or closest-to-the-heat bottom? Either way, it needs to be seasoned again. Just slather up the whole thing with oil or shortening while you're at it, and let it bake in your oven.

Hey GAF, I tried my hand at the David Chang Momofuku pork buns tonight. Here was the result:

255pch5.jpg

They tasted really damn good. The pork belly came out amazingly tender.

I only had a few issues with making them. The first is that it's a recipe you really need to plan well ahead of time. The actual steps aren't that labor intensive, but there's a lot of preparation in brining, waiting for the dough etc. Speaking of dough, that was my second point. The buns themselves were probably the most labor-intensive of the steps, but I'm not sure how worth it, it was to make them, especially since I can go to any number of Asian markets and buy them. I even abbreviated the initial dough-making since I have a breadmaker, but they still came out only okay, and weren't as "fluffy" as I would've wanted after steaming them.

Other then that, definitely something I would make again and definitely something I'll want to make for guests at some point.

Ferrio

Banned
Pho I made this weekend. First time, turned out really good considering that Fairbanks Alaska sucks for getting ingredients. Surprised how little broth that huge pot made. Only like 4 quarts.

21evt3a.jpg

totowhoa

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Whoo! I made stuff that weren't disasters! Cooking confidence regained! :p

Creamy pumpkin and sweet potato soup finished with some lime zest:
http://i.imgur.com/72iCWl.jpg[IMG]

Beef and mushroom stuffed acorn squash:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/p3DUxl.jpg[IMG]

Both were really good! Fist pump![/QUOTE]

Both sound great! I'm a sucker for stuffed squash. That soup sounds great, but I'm generally not much of a soup person.

That said, the last soup I made was Mulligatawny soup a couple of months ago: [url]http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mulligatawny-soup-i/detail.aspx[/url]

Made it on a whim having never heard of it before and I'd obviously never tried it before. Made a few slight adjustments to taste but I loved it. Planning on making it again and trying some other soups out here soon with the cold weather coming on. It sort of gave me a renewed appreciation for soup, I suppose. I recommend giving the recipe a shot for those interested. It's an Indian dish, but that recipe has enough of a western flair (I presume) that I think most people would enjoy it (I hate most Indian food). No idea how traditional that recipe is though, but it's fucking tasty.

Just got back from a ban, so I hope to post some stuff soon. Just had some delicious tuna steak this evening but I only snapped an iPhone photo. It was my first time cooking it myself, and Jesus Christ... It was one of the best things of I've made in months. Tuna is now in the regular line up, no doubt. Easy and delicious.

Edit:

[QUOTE=nakedsushi]^-- maybe you need to season the bottom too? Do live in a very humid climate? With cast iron, after I rinse it with water and dry it off, I usually put it back on the stove for a couple of minutes with the heat turned to low just to be extra sure. Then I wipe it with a dab of oil in a paper towel. Maybe try that for the bottom too? But not too much oil![/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I care for mine and I have no problems. Iron skillets are testy little things.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
nakedsushi said:
^-- maybe you need to season the bottom too? Do live in a very humid climate? With cast iron, after I rinse it with water and dry it off, I usually put it back on the stove for a couple of minutes with the heat turned to low just to be extra sure. Then I wipe it with a dab of oil in a paper towel. Maybe try that for the bottom too? But not too much oil!

Sorry I meant under the pan. I'll try heating it up after washing to make sure. What's the best way to get rust off the pan in the mean time?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I ruinded a soup last night.

In order to ruin a soup you typically add too much salt or too much pepper. I rined it with too many veggies...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sklorenz said:
Both sound great! I'm a sucker for stuffed squash. That soup sounds great, but I'm generally not much of a soup person.

That said, the last soup I made was Mulligatawny soup a couple of months ago: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mulligatawny-soup-i/detail.aspx

Made it on a whim having never heard of it before and I'd obviously never tried it before. Made a few slight adjustments to taste but I loved it. Planning on making it again and trying some other soups out here soon with the cold weather coming on. It sort of gave me a renewed appreciation for soup, I suppose. I recommend giving the recipe a shot for those interested. It's an Indian dish, but that recipe has enough of a western flair (I presume) that I think most people would enjoy it (I hate most Indian food). No idea how traditional that recipe is though, but it's fucking tasty.

Thanks! The Mulligatawny sounds really good. I'll certainly give it a shot sometime.

otake said:
I ruinded a soup last night.

In order to ruin a soup you typically add too much salt or too much pepper. I rined it with too many veggies...

Hey, you're not the only one in here who ruins food from time to time. :) Can you take some of the veggies out?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
RatskyWatsky said:
Hey, you're not the only one in here who ruins food from time to time. :) Can you take some of the veggies out?

Oh yeah, it wasn't even my idea. I'm no expert cook but my fiance appears to be terrible. I gave her instructions to fetch 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper. She brough back mushrooms, fresh brocolli (what the fuck) among other things. It was going to be a simple chicken, onion and pepper soup, she turned it into a veggie mash up. Then I was too sick to finish it so I told her to simply add the noodles and simmer 5 minutes. Well, they simmered for well over 5 minutes. The soup turned out to be an overcooked veggie mess but still edible.

Danielsan

Dear GAF.
I'm in a bit of a pickle.
On Saturday I will have to host a dinner for me and 9 of my friends. I have very little cooking experience, a small kitchen, a small gas stove with four flames and virtually no idea what to prepare.

I would love to get some recommendations for a reasonably easy to prepare 3 course dinner for 10 people. Thanks in advance guys!

Ferrio

Banned
Danielsan said:
Dear GAF.
I'm in a bit of a pickle.
On Saturday I will have to host a dinner for me and 9 of my friends. I have very little cooking experience, a small kitchen, a small gas stove with four flames and virtually no idea what to prepare.

I would love to get some recommendations for a reasonably easy to prepare 3 course dinner for 10 people. Thanks in advance guys!

Steamed Hams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom