• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Fette Sau BBQ

Selection

lFB5hl.jpg

]

Wow how much did that cost you?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Here's the chili. Made with wild boar, a bunch of different chilis, stout, veal stock (for lack of anything better) and some spices. Doesn't look like much, but tastes damn good. Could've been spicier though.

eZd02l.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
I went a little out of my comfort zone working with new cooking utensils (my new stand mixer, and a bamboo steamer), and new ingredients (wonton wrappers, dried shiitake mushrooms, and fresh ginger).

Pork Shumai
elck2.jpg

I also made a wonderful ginger salad dressing, like the ones you find in Japanese restaurants.
I1JIt.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
I went a little out of my comfort zone working with new cooking utensils (my new stand mixer, and a bamboo steamer), and new ingredients (wonton wrappers, dried shiitake mushrooms, and fresh ginger).

Pork Shumai
http://i.imgur.com/elck2.jpg[IMG]

I also made a wonderful ginger salad dressing, like the ones you find in Japanese restaurants.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I1JIt.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Fucking a. I wish I could do this. Looks delicious. Well I'ma go boil some pasta. :|

Pork Shumai
elck2.jpg

I1JIt.jpg

YUM. Please post the recipe for the salad dressing! :D

Awesome work Jay, good job pushing yourself.

We just did old standards this weekend, I made four loaves of oatmeal bread using a variation on Ed Brown's Tassajara yeasted bread, which is my staple every two weeks. I need to push myself to start baking other things like boules and ciabattas. Wife has been perfecting her miso ramen, we broiled some marinated tofu for it instead of the usual soft boiled eggs.

We're diving in this Christmas and making pierogies from scratch for nine people. I'm pretty stoked.

Zyzyxxz

Looks good! For that added touch you could have added smelt roe to the top but that's more of a presentation thing than it is for taste IMO.

Reminds me I need to try a new wonton recipe that I've been waiting to test.

CrankyJay

Banned
Looks good! For that added touch you could have added smelt roe to the top but that's more of a presentation thing than it is for taste IMO.

Reminds me I need to try a new wonton recipe that I've been waiting to test.

Thanks, I actually have a ton of wonton wrappers left, so next time I make pulled pork I'm thinking of making wonton wrapped bbq pork. LOL...just trying different stuff.

thespot84

looking for some guidance with tofu:

I'm trying to brown it before it goes into a stir-fry (firm tofu) and I heat up oil in a wok (stainless, NOT non-stick) and the tofu instance adheres to the pan. I had to deglaze with a lot of liquid to get it off (used rice vinegar and water). Any suggestions on being able to brown without supergluing it to the bottom of the pan? I would like to not have to purchase another pan.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I'm trying to brown it before it goes into a stir-fry (firm tofu) and I heat up oil in a wok (stainless, NOT non-stick) and the tofu instance adheres to the pan. I had to deglaze with a lot of liquid to get it off (used rice vinegar and water). Any suggestions on being able to brown without supergluing it to the bottom of the pan? I would like to not have to purchase another pan.

Add a bit more oil and try to keep it moving around.

etiolate

Banned

Do you salt and let sit in the refrigerator overnight? This gives the tofu time to "dry out"(?) a bit (some of the water comes out). Also like RatskyWatsky said, keep it moving. Frying tofu is kind of like frying egg... for some reason the first one always sticks. Every batch after is generally easy going.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Made that ginger salad dressing found in Japanese restaurant. Simply amazing. I'll be eating that all week.

Also bought all the accouterments to make pork and shrimp shumai in my bamboo steamer.

Share this one ,please.

Ok! This is my first contribution to this thread!
I am vegetarian, so this is what I used:

Self-Made Seitan. Seitan is a vegan meat alternative made of wheat-protein and can , basically, resemble any form of meat. Today I made it in the form of minced meat to fill 2 peppers with it.
On top of it a mixture of cottage cheese and emmentaler cheese and then I put them into my oven.

The third one of the pepper trilogy is filled with rice and a sauce which I made of tomatoes, vegetable stock, soy-sauce, different kinds of spices and vegan cream.
Tasted delicious, here are two pictures!

8hrPv.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Aww, I completely forgot to take a photo of my cookies last weekend. I was rather proud of myself. My good friend's wife and one of our friends were making cookies and invited me over. I love cooking but haven't dabbled in baking much, Ended up making chocolate chip cookies with potato chips, and they were delicious.

If I hadn't noted the potato chip, you really couldn't tell they were there, but they added this aspect to the flavor the cookies wouldn't have had otherwise.

Take out the tofu and wrap it in some paper towels. Put it on a dish and put another heavy dish on top of it. This will press the liquid out of the tofu. Let it sit like that for half an hour before cooking, draining any excess water.

Also, remember hot pan, cold oil. Your pan should be smoking hot, if you're using a wok.

thespot84

Take out the tofu and wrap it in some paper towels. Put it on a dish and put another heavy dish on top of it. This will press the liquid out of the tofu. Let it sit like that for half an hour before cooking, draining any excess water.

Also, remember hot pan, cold oil. Your pan should be smoking hot, if you're using a wok.

Thx, I did do the paper towel thing but maybe not long enough, though a lot of water came out. I did let the oil get to smoke point as I'm wont to do when sauteing, so I'll try cold next time.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone got any suggestions for me to make during the week next week? It's grocery day. Preferably cheap and healthy (for 1 person).

Sunday night I plan to try a recipe I found for Ricotta and Broccoli Rabe sandwiches.

dBN6S.jpg

Nothing as elaborate as usual this time, next week I can finally get into a new crumble or so.

Cheese: Heini's Raw Milk Yogurt Cultured The herb/garlic oddity of the past is back, repackaged, with new wares and located in a different grocery store entirely. Everything on it works pretty well as far as melting goes, low on the oil, etc---definitely maintains that Yogurt'ish twang, but is eerily apt to serve as a workspace for other flavors as it only stands out juuust enough as opposed to being of incredibly power.

Special Guest Star: Cholula Original Yes folks, it took me this long to get some of this to try on pizza----definitely a winner here. I'd had my first sampling of it before at a somewhat famous GA burger place that goes by the name of FarmBurger on...a burger, but only recently did I happen to see a tiny little bottle on sale at a grocery store.

Needless to say, I'm now also hoping to eventually find more of said little bottles of the other blends the company makes, because damn. My prior goto on the "just a hot sauce~" front was Frank's Red Hot, and Cholula is markedly different and also right up there with it. I've yet to master the trickery of getting it out of the bottle with control though, as it is one of those odd ones contoured such that you can hold the thing upside down and nothing will happen, yet if you shake it quite a lot will.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I tried to make pancakes. I followed the recipe properly. One got burned, the others were difficult to flip and sort of looked bad.

I can never cook the damn thing right.

But whatever the case, buckwheat+cinnamon+maple syrup is always tasty regardless. It just looked like crap.

Eljay

Neo Member
I tried to make pancakes. I followed the recipe properly. One got burned, the others were difficult to flip and sort of looked bad.

I can never cook the damn thing right.

But whatever the case, buckwheat+cinnamon+maple syrup is always tasty regardless. It just looked like crap.

My initial guess would be that your cooking temperature wasn't ideal, and finding what temp works best with your stovetop/griddle is just a process of trial and error (usually when a drop of water quickly sizzles off you're around the right temp). Also if you're using butter/oil on the surface make sure it is heated up before you add the batter otherwise the pancakes won't cook evenly and make for an easy flip.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It really tends to stick to the pant and when I flip it, the pan is basically no longer buttered when the pancake was so I have to rebutter it otherwise it will stick even more for the next one.

thespot84

It really tends to stick to the pant and when I flip it, the pan is basically no longer buttered when the pancake was so I have to rebutter it otherwise it will stick even more for the next one.

i'm assuming the pan is not non-stick? TBH once I started using an electric griddle, that is non-stick, i never looked back, it's so damned easy.

The trick to knowing when to turn is to watch the bubbles. Once they start popping give em a flip.

For the buttering, I keep a stick partially in the wrapper next to me, so I can quickly lay down a layer of butter on the fly. You might try buttering with that between flips...

Zyzyxxz

Food will stick but naturally release on its own when it's ready to cook. I cooked fish without a nonstick pan at my last job all cast iron and occasionally helped cook pancakes for staff meal on flat top.

When it's ready it will start to peel up around the edges and you can start testing it to see if you want to flip it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
i'm assuming the pan is not non-stick? TBH once I started using an electric griddle, that is non-stick, i never looked back, it's so damned easy.

The trick to knowing when to turn is to watch the bubbles. Once they start popping give em a flip.

For the buttering, I keep a stick partially in the wrapper next to me, so I can quickly lay down a layer of butter on the fly. You might try buttering with that between flips...

I tried again today doing the same as yesterday, so the results were of course the same.

Yeah non-stick. Main problem is: the first pancake I did yesterday which burned was actually the best one in terms of consistency. It was easy to flip, and didn't break apart. But it was burned. Bubbling doesn't happen, it will burn before then. So I'm sort of stuck. It either burns, or it isn't consistent enough and breaks apart and sticks to the pan.

Maybe olive oil would be better. Butter seems to dissipate really quickly.

Also, since it is buckwheat flour, it probably looks more burned than if I used white flour, since the mix is already brown (not yellow).

It's still delicious, but messy and not presentable. If this keeps up, I'm gonna have to just pour the whole mix in a rectangular glass plate and put it in the oven instead, like a cake:p

dyonPT

hehehe

Deliciously cute!

yes, very delicious! ;)

Those men look delicious.

Yep, I have never had eaten these cookies, in Portugal they are not tradicion in cristmas, but all the people that eat these cookies loved it!

Are the buttons just chocolate chips?
Also how'd you take such nice photos.

Yes, they are chocolate chips ;)
I use white tables as backgound and take the pictures in very good ligth and use my SONY NEX-3 as a camera. I love that camera :) And also use sometimes a tripod for extra stability :)

Love the gingerbread men!

So cute. :3

thespot84

I tried again today doing the same as yesterday, so the results were of course the same.

Yeah non-stick. Main problem is: the first pancake I did yesterday which burned was actually the best one in terms of consistency. It was easy to flip, and didn't break apart. But it was burned. Bubbling doesn't happen, it will burn before then. So I'm sort of stuck. It either burns, or it isn't consistent enough and breaks apart and sticks to the pan.

Maybe olive oil would be better. Butter seems to dissipate really quickly.

Also, since it is buckwheat flour, it probably looks more burned than if I used white flour, since the mix is already brown (not yellow).

It's still delicious, but messy and not presentable. If this keeps up, I'm gonna have to just pour the whole mix in a rectangular glass plate and put it in the oven instead, like a cake:p

Sound like the bottom is cooking too fast relative to the top, and your temp is too high. Do you have access to an electric griddle? You can score one for <$30, and being able to set the temp makes a world of difference. I'm gonna take a wild guess here say that it's actually the butter that's burning, not the cakes.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Your temperature is definitely too high; on an electric range with 1-10 on the dials, I never turn it higher than 3½ for pancakes. Both sides come out perfectly golden every time, and I don't even use butter or oil in the pan.

It also sounds like the batter recipe could be off if they're falling apart. Too much milk and/or not enough egg.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I bought myself an induction cooktop today (Eurodib 1600W...was local, cheap, and well reviewed).

So, reading the manual, I notice it says to not put an empty pot on the induction cooktop. What's the reasoning for this? I was hoping that I could preheat a cast iron pan to sear a steak...maybe that's too much for the cooktop to handle?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, I bought myself an induction cooktop today (Eurodib 1600W...was local, cheap, and well reviewed).

So, reading the manual, I notice it says to not put an empty pot on the induction cooktop. What's the reasoning for this? I was hoping that I could preheat a cast iron pan to sear a steak...maybe that's too much for the cooktop to handle?

my guess from own experience is that the skillet will heat up the cookware much faster than you'd expect( as in: in a matter of seconds to one minute), so preheating isn't necessary to start with. shouldn't do harm to either the stovetop or the skillet, though, so give it an attended try.

DJ_Lae

Can anyone recommend the Betty Crocker Cookbook? Is it any good for cooking noobs?

I've got it - I don't use it quite as much any more but there are a number of the more basic recipes in there that I've modified and use reasonably often (chili, soups and stews, breads and doughs, etc). It's also handy for roasting times and temperatures.

Most of the recipes in there are pretty easy, too, and if not all remarkable tasting are still decent. I bought my sister the newer version a year or two ago and I think she likes it.

I also like the Joy of Cooking, although I use the Better Crocker one more as it's coil-bound, and I gave up years ago finding a coil-bound version of Joy of Cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom