• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Looks delicious.I haven't ever had char siu pork (or char siu anything for that matter), but now I want to!

It's a pretty simple recipe.

2lbs pork tenderloin
1 star anise
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup chinese rice wine or dry vermouth
6oz pineapple juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil

combine everything but the pork in a bag or marinating bowl, leave in fridge overnight, 1 hour minimum. skewer and then grill, high heat(say about 5 min) for a short time then low for a long time(say 10 min), basting continuously with leftover marinade. Took me a little more than 15mins on the grill overall, and came out super super tender.

Help! I'm recently divorced and need some assistance with the cooking in my life. I've always been solid at following recipes, but only when they spell it out for me, ie, amounts, cooking temp and time, etc. However, now newly single, I'm having to shop and cook for one ( three on the weekends, my kids), and grocery shop too. I suck at the shopping too, and I don't have any recipes in my book, other than a few apps and a soup I make for parties. Any good recipes or shopping strategies you can help me with, or resources to direct me to? I'm try to eat healthier too now that I'm single again, and to shove my new thin body in my Ex's face.

Any help is appreciated, and I've lurked on this page before, but these recipes seem so complex, and when you say I used this, this, this, and this and made [insert pic of ridiculously good looking dish], I can't do much with that. So help this new single father feed himself and his children.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's a pretty simple recipe.

2lbs pork tenderloin
1 star anise
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup chinese rice wine or dry vermouth
6oz pineapple juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil

combine everything but the pork in a bag or marinating bowl, leave in fridge overnight, 1 hour minimum. skewer and then grill, high heat(say about 5 min) for a short time then low for a long time(say 10 min), basting continuously with leftover marinade. Took me a little more than 15mins on the grill overall, and came out super super tender.

Thanks! I'll copy the recipe down, and when it gets warmer outside, I'll make it my first grill of the year!

Esch

Banned
Help! I'm recently divorced and need some assistance with the cooking in my life. I've always solid at following recipes, but only when they spell it out for me, ie, amounts, cooking temp and time, etc. However, now newly single, I'm having to shop and cook for one ( three on the weekends, my kids). Any good recipes or shopping strategies you can help me with, or resources to direct me to? I'm try to eat healthier too now that I'm single again, and to shove my new thin body in my Ex's face.

Any help is appreciated, and I've lurked on this page before, but these recipes seem so complex, and when you say I used this, this, this, and this and made [insert pic of ridiculously good looking dish], I can't do much with that. So help this new single father feed himself and his children.

I think the trick is to start small. You're trying to eat healthier and shit too? I think that definitely grilling is a good place to start. Buy flat iron steaks and chicken breasts, and some pork tenderloin to get a feel for different kinds of meats. It's all about experience, but grilling will give you practice on how to gauge a dish's 'doneness' rather easily. There arent too many ingredients or utensils, and marinated meats are delicious even if you fuck up a little.

I also recommend trying your hand at stir fry. It's easy to do with a wok and you can make a wholesome meal of veggies and meat. Eggs are another good starter. They give you a feel for panfrying and are pretty healthy no matter how you cut it.

Just stay enthusiastic, don't be afraid to experiment, and ask your children on their opinion when you're making something(taste test), it'll give you good feel for how to balance spices and proportions of ingredients.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Help! I'm recently divorced and need some assistance with the cooking in my life. I've always been solid at following recipes, but only when they spell it out for me, ie, amounts, cooking temp and time, etc. However, now newly single, I'm having to shop and cook for one ( three on the weekends, my kids), and grocery shop too. I suck at the shopping too, and I don't have any recipes in my book, other than a few apps and a soup I make for parties. Any good recipes or shopping strategies you can help me with, or resources to direct me to? I'm try to eat healthier too now that I'm single again, and to shove my new thin body in my Ex's face.

Shopping by recipe is really helpful. Once you've picked out what you want to make, only buy those things on your list. This way, you aren't wasting any money on junk food or stuff that will go to waste. Also, check out your grocery store's weekly sale ad. See what's on sale each week, and try to use a recipe that features some of those items.

I'd also recommend coupons. You don't have to go crazy with them, but if you have a newspaper, just take a look at them and see if there are any that you can use.

As for recipes, it really depends on what foods you like. Allrecipes.com is a good place to start. It has a large variety of recipes, and it has a great user review section which is filled with helpful tips from people that have tried the recipe before.

I also recommend trying your hand at stir fry. It's easy to do with a wok and you can make a wholesome meal of veggies and meat. Eggs are another good starter. They give you a feel for panfrying and are pretty healthy no matter how you cut it.

This is great advice. Just search Allrecipes for stir fry and click on the links that look the best to you. Each one will have an ingredient list and directions, so just pick the one that you like and give it a try!

Youtube and Chow.com also have some good "How To" videos in case you aren't sure how to do something. Here is a good one on how to stir fry, for example.

I'd also recommend investing in a good slow cooker, or crock pot. Just put the ingredients in in the morning, turn it on low, and by the time you come home from work, you'll have delicious food waiting for you. Stews are great in a slow cooker. I can give you a pretty good/simple recipe for beef stew if you want.

Zyzyxxz

h(sorry zyzyxxz :[[[), blasphemous but a good compliment i think. anyone wants the recipe ill post.

Oh please my hardcore Chinese father make sweet and sour pork with pineapples occasionally with our 20+ year seasoned cast iron wok that's about as blasphemous as it gets but I don't care I gobble it up like the fat kid I am.

Taste always greater than authenticity. I don't believe in authenticity for the sake of it unless it truly creates a better taste in the end and I believe trying to stay "authentic" can stunt your imagination. It's good to recognize and respect the basics and originals and use it as a base to create new ideas.

Zyzyxxz

This is great advice. Just search Allrecipes for stir fry and click on the links that look the best to you. Each one will have an ingredient list and directions, so just pick the one that you like and give it a try!

Youtube and Chow.com also have some good "How To" videos in case you aren't sure how to do something. Here is a good one on how to stir fry, for example.

I'd also recommend investing in a good slow cooker, or crock pot. Just put the ingredients in in the morning, turn it on low, and by the time you come home from work, you'll have delicious food waiting for you. Stews are great in a slow cooker. I can give you a pretty good/simple recipe for beef stew if you want.

Check out Tastespotting.com too! It's a visual inspiration for me though I find most of the recipes to be shit.

Flo

Got a cake pop kit for Xmas, holy pain in the ass. They look kinda pretty though.

f6f29ef9.jpg
I see those kits all over the place over here. Is it fun as well or only a pain in the ass?

I do own a crockpot, so I'll take the recipe, thanks.

Esch

Banned
Oh please my hardcore Chinese father make sweet and sour pork with pineapples occasionally with our 20+ year seasoned cast iron wok that's about as blasphemous as it gets but I don't care I gobble it up like the fat kid I am.

Taste always greater than authenticity. I don't believe in authenticity for the sake of it unless it truly creates a better taste in the end and I believe trying to stay "authentic" can stunt your imagination. It's good to recognize and respect the basics and originals and use it as a base to create new ideas.
I agree, i was just having a crack at you. Don't you operate a fusion food truck as well?

Zyzyxxz

Oh good, I thought it was just me and I was becoming a snob. So many Mommy Blogs.

Maybe we are both snobs? But the thing is the submissions for that site have to be approved by one woman and she goes for visually inspiring food over good recipes. Can't blame her since she goes through hundreds of submissions a day I doubt she can take the time to critique the recipes behind each picture.

Over the years though I've noticed most of the pictures may be good but the blogs backing them up are pretty crappy especially recipe wise. If you are a beginner home cook it's a great resource as it was for me a long time ago but now a days I stick to my own research and readings.

So...how crazy would I probably become by any rational standard to drop the $30'ish-$50ish on a bottle of good-seeming Argan oil---for eating mind you not the cosmetic shit?

http://www.worldartisanguild.com/products.html

I mean, I've spent similar sums on fish oils pills and such...so perhaps a half-assed rationalization can be strung together...

It DOES seem to be the final frontier beyond my beloved Hemp Oil outside of maybe some kinda Truffle-based something?(Never had Truffle-based anything)

Semi-related: Anybody have any experience with ordering from this online outfit? Perhaps it is the incredible lack of local things to browse in my area, but I'm seeing lots of interesting and unheard of spice mixtures and whatnot.

http://www.zamourispices.com/

We had a sort-of weird day meal-time wise yesterday after going swimming in the early afternoon so I had a late night craving... for home fries with sriracha:

late-night-home-fries.JPG

Followed the Saveur recipe (boil 15 min, cool, cube, 10 min saute, then add onions/paprika/cumin/salt/pepper, another 10 mins or so in the pan to crisp). These were awesome and I meant to take a "done" picture as we ate them with a bottle of Allagash White but my wife and I ended up devouring them. So good.

Took some pictures of morning pancakes for our continuing remedial pancake series ;). Here you can see batter added to the medium sized cast iron that has been heating for some time on medium to make sure it's good and hot:

pancakes-1.JPG

In this closeup you can see the bits of butter in the batter--these are all that are needed to lubricate the pan, I don't add any extra fat (beyond what's caked onto the cast iron :p):

pancakes-2.JPG

After the flip. You should see the pancake rise up slightly as the heat causes the bubbles formed by the baking powder and soda "lift" the pancake:

pancakes-3.JPG

I eat mine taco style, I put two huge fat hunks of butter in them and then fold them over and eat them as is, no sweetener. Hehe. Always make hash browns with them:

hash-browns.JPG

These are just grated potatoes but the key is to squeeze the water out of them. I use my iron hand grip, but the "proper" way is to use a ricer like you would for making gnocchi. Get the oil hot, add the potatoes, salt, fry until crisp (making sure to move the oil around every now and then, and to get the potatoes off the bottom at some point), flip, more salt, same deal, serve. So good.

6fRJD.jpg

Piss off 2011, I'm ending this with a tasty naanza dinner!

Only new thing:

Cheese: Bruder Basil (Germany) So SMOKEY! Great grip/melt, and just about no oil----freaking delicious cheese though I supposed from the Gouda to the Butterkase that it might be nearly impossible to go wrong with a smoked cheese.

Went over especially well with the Cholula I haphazardly splashed on the top side.

Yep, in the end I pretty much broke the 100 cheese barrier this year IronGAF as per my records, here's to 2012 and seeing if I can get to pretty much the 150 mark! Found a new'ish meat and somewhat unusual cheese to start off 2012 proper with too this week, so here's to a solid start.

I also for some reason have this odd thought in my head to experiment with adding broth and/or marrow from meat into the pizza doings...

Well, my side list that functions as sort of a "wish list" currently clocks in at about.....84 strong. Even within that, for the outstanding majority of the times I've been at a new cheese each week at best---the newcomers were not even on my radar as per that list so it didn't even shrink, moreso it gains some here and there as I come across stray examples of nifty things on TV. Some of the list are artisan variants and whatnot along a theme, but still. I got a ton of mileage along with stares from passerby when I brought a pad and pen to the closing down sale of the local BJ's and took down names and such from the big book of cheeses and whatnot they had shackled to the section all those months ago.

I still haven't even been able to find ones I "should", like Grana Padano(sp?) or Talleggio or even regional US stuff like Provel.

Still a bountiful world of variety waiting for myself and the rest of IronGAF out there, and even moreso to consider, flat out new cheeses are being created yearly across the lot of it.

Also, for IronGAF's amusement, the website of one of my more educational cooking shows finally seems to work here at the end of Season 1, so if you can't track down the full episodes then there's at least a decently populated recipe section with some nifty stuff----turned me on to Farro! I REALLY hope it gets more seasons, as it is pretty different from the stuff on Food Network and Cooking Channel.

http://cuisineculture.tv/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Made two pizzas: one with Canadian bacon/pineapple/jalapenos, and one with butternut squash/caramelized shallots/crispy sage leaves. Both were good, although I always have problems when I try to caramelize anything, so the shallots ended up a little burned. Still tasted good though!

bjaelke

I suddenly felt like making something with meat in it after yesterday's vegan party. For lunch I went with a homemade lasagna hoping that the grease would do something against the last drops of alcohol in my blood. At dinner I went slightly healthier with marinated chicken breasts, red cabbage and salad with a dressing made of basil, salt, pepper and olive oil.

nysNC.jpg

86sUY.jpg

My husband made a traditional Chinese New Years dumpling last night for NYE. I guess they're called Moneybag dumplings since they look like a gold ingot?

(click for recipe)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am now in possession of some venison and wild boar (more accurately, they were gifts to my family who rarely eat anything other than domestic animals so they have no idea what to do with it).

I'm not sure of the specific cuts, but I think I can ask.

Any suggestions for what to make with them? I was thinking of slowroasting the boar and making pulled pork, but I have no idea what to do with venison.

Clay pot. In oven. Olive oil rub maybe. Eventually, you will have greatness!

At least, that's how venison can work out as I'm imagining you've got a chop or something---not yet had any wild boar unfortunately, but clay pot meats are generally guaranteed good times.

Pair with sushi rice or cous cous to absorb all that delicious broth and you've got a meal!

ameratsu

Just ordered a 9.5inch carbon steel frying pan. Also expecting a 14L paderno stock pot that I ordered on boxing day to arrive this week. Should even out my cookware set nicely.

Ecrofirt

Took some pictures of morning pancakes for our continuing remedial pancake series ;). Here you can see batter added to the medium sized cast iron that has been heating for some time on medium to make sure it's good and hot:

pancakes-3.JPG

OK, how the heck do you get pancakes to look so good on a cast-iron?

I can't cook eggs or pancakes on mine, because they always end up with black crud on them. It seems no matter how well I scrape the residual crud out of my cast iron, there's always black flecks left over that kill pancakes and eggs.

Esch

Banned
IronGAF i need your help.... I'm making Ponzu chicken and i need some ideas to throw together for side dishes. What do people eat with this?

Mœbius

I think this is my first time posting but I love this thread and have followed it for ages. I've always been a lazy (and terrible) cook until I got together with my wife, don't know why but cooking with someone else just makes the whole thing fun for me. Anyway we've been cooking a lot lately, and we especially like making desserts / cakes - here's some of the most recent stuff...

Carrot Cake.
ifx6u.jpg

Almond (not Hazelnut) cupcake.
RI4h3l.jpg

Apple tart (with an almond & rum frangipane filling).
X82J1l.jpg

Chicken caramelized in Sprite, with coconut rice and a Thai mango & pomegranate salad.
aNgw1l.jpg

totowhoa

Banned
I think this is my first time posting but I love this thread and have followed it for ages. I've always been a lazy (and terrible) cook until I got together with my wife, don't know why but cooking with someone else just makes the whole thing fun for me. Anyway we've been cooking a lot lately, and we especially like making desserts / cakes - here's some of the most recent stuff...

I was the same way. Never much of a cook until my wife and I got together and now we both love cooking. Doing it together makes it a lot of fun.

That carrot cake looks fantastic.. I love carrot make, but I've never actually made one. I'm gonna have to give it a shot sometime soon

This was yesterday's lunch: Tuna steaks with rosemary and thyme, green beans with browned butter, thyme, and toasted almonds, and rice.

tunasteakdinner2.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Made a simple pollo pibil in a crockpot:

Lined the crockpot with banana leaves
384981_3042482020921_1229215806_33467227_637332333_n.jpg

Set in my boneless chicken thighs which had been marinating in my achiote marinade all night(marinade is a mixture of garlic, achiote, black pepper, mexican cinnemon, cumin, mexican oregano, grapefruit juice, vinegar, and maybe a few things I can't quite remember.

400383_3042489021096_1229215806_33467235_530623182_n.jpg

After 6 hours it was cooked simmering, and super tender:
400935_3042491461157_1229215806_33467237_167005951_n.jpg

Came apart super easy just by fork, so we put it on tortillas, topped with some of my homemade pickled onions, and a simple fresh salsa

403268_3042493701213_1229215806_33467239_285313353_n.jpg

Was a big hit with the wife.

CrankyJay

Banned
I was the same way. Never much of a cook until my wife and I got together and now we both love cooking. Doing it together makes it a lot of fun.

That carrot cake looks fantastic.. I love carrot make, but I've never actually made one. I'm gonna have to give it a shot sometime soon

This was yesterday's lunch: Tuna steaks with rosemary and thyme, green beans with browned butter, thyme, and toasted almonds, and rice.

tunasteakdinner2.jpg

That tuna is fucking ace.

Zyzyxxz

Made a simple pollo pibil in a crockpot:

Lined the crockpot with banana leaves
384981_3042482020921_1229215806_33467227_637332333_n.jpg

Man that sounds good! Reminds me of the pork pibil we use to do at my old job. Except it was cryovac'd and cooked sous vide for 18 hours with a strip of banana leaf in there along with the achiote marinade. So essentially the same thing but modernized, it would come out super tender but not fall apart so it was like a pork steak that melted in your mouth.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Man that sounds good! Reminds me of the pork pibil we use to do at my old job. Except it was cryovac'd and cooked sous vide for 18 hours with a strip of banana leaf in there along with the achiote marinade. So essentially the same thing but modernized, it would come out super tender but not fall apart so it was like a pork steak that melted in your mouth.

That sounds great. I was thinking of repeating this with pork, this is a great way for me to play with the flavors of the marinade, but have it cooking while I am at work.

My dad is working on opening up a taco truck, he has been trying something similar to serve from his truck.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody in Southern California want a free OXO mandoline slicer?

Figured it's not worth trying to sell and I prefer using my Benriner mandoline over it.

If you can pick it up it's yours!

totowhoa

Banned
Anybody in Southern California want a free OXO mandoline slicer?

I've actually never used a mandoline slicer, although we have one (hand-me-down). Just never had the need. But one day my fiance was using it for some reason when I was at work and lost 1 or 2 mm off the tip of one of her fingers by removing the safety guard so that it would cut faster, lol. Be careful, GAF!

Zyzyxxz

I've actually never used a mandoline slicer, although we have one (hand-me-down). Just never had the need. But one day my fiance was using it for some reason when I was at work and lost 1 or 2 mm off the tip of one of her fingers by removing the safety guard so that it would cut faster, lol. Be careful, GAF!

Yeah mandoline's are known to take finger tips thats why I was taught to palm it so the worst I would get is a cut across my palm.

The guard that it comes with is not bad for veges.

My first ever time cooking something that I would actually eat. (Last two attempts, I had to dump everything.) So started with something very very basic. Now that I know that I will not kill myself with the oven, I might try some other recipes as well.

s3EEa.jpg

Chicken Breast stuffed with spinach, 1 year aged vermont cheddar, ginger-garlic paste and topped with some Sobrassada Chorizo.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sounds tasty and looks good too. Good effort!

Made Burger with the new Grill tonight, turned out awesome! No match for the charcoal grill, but aeons better than prep in a skillet:
66132d3a.jpg

eeb3388f.jpg

4a979ad0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom