• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyonPT

sounds tasty and looks good too. Good effort!

4a979ad0.jpg

That burguer looks awesoomee!

Amazing as always dyon. I wish I had some here at my side. I bet they'd go well with coffee.

sa2Od.jpg

Thankss :) Yeah, coffee with coffee...:D

Why you post picutres like that, I want to eat it not stare at it. Now I am hungry

It's easy, go and make some ;)

delicious as always! thanks for sharing.

HpS6C.jpg

Fair bit of tasty new goodness tonight!

Cheese: Meyenberg Valley Goat Aged Cheddar Yeah Goat....Aged Cheddar? Didn't know this even existed prior, though I guess I really should be less surprised by such things nowadays. It smells great and melts quickly though in more of a "stay in place" way than "spreads out over everything" way. It might be a tad on the oily side, or might not, considering:

Meat: Chianti Red Wine Salami All this damn time and I finally find a salami that actually has something of a bit of..well..."taste" to it. Went really well with the cheese, was an all natural and some such thing, etc.

Crumble: Wai Lana Rosemary Garlic Yogi Chips The garlic perhaps less so, but damned it the Rosemary to this whole grain chip doesn't come through powerfully. Perhaps a bit more on the crunch than the crumble side of the equation, what whatever it also worked well.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Do you guys have any recipe book recommendation for someone who isn't a very good cook but would like to get more serious about this?

Ideally dealing with meat and fish maybe? I don't have access to a BBQ, only my oven, but I can buy other tools as needed.

My taste is pretty much in line with Bourdain's: braised and fried meat, bone marrow, pork (but not some boring ass pork chop), etc. The food that came out of difficult times and clashes of cultures. Not fusion.

BTW I really recommend mashed sweet potatoes and smoked salmon together. It's awesome!

Zyzyxxz

Do you guys have any recipe book recommendation for someone who isn't a very good cook but would like to get more serious about this?

Ideally dealing with meat and fish maybe? I don't have access to a BBQ, only my oven, but I can buy other tools as needed.

My taste is pretty much in line with Bourdain's: braised and fried meat, bone marrow, pork (but not some boring ass pork chop), etc. The food that came out of difficult times and clashes of cultures. Not fusion.

BTW I really recommend mashed sweet potatoes and smoked salmon together. It's awesome!

If you want something easy go with a Jamie Oliver book. Something serious would be more like Ad-Hoc by Thomas Keller which is not difficult but requires a bit more time investment for brining/marinating and doing multi part recipes. Ah-Hoc tackles American dishes you should be familiar with but takes them to a whole new level.

_Isaac

You don't have a stove top?

What I do is get out a piece of meat. Like some type of fish and then I search on the internet for recipes. Haha. I don't think I've ever used a recipe book.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yes I have an oven/stove.

And yeah, I guess a book is useless these days:p Anyway I'm getting more comfortable these days figuring out how to actually give taste to meat. Baby steps..

I like this site: put the ingredients you have and it lists some recipes you can make http://www.supercook.com/

OK, how the heck do you get pancakes to look so good on a cast-iron?

I can't cook eggs or pancakes on mine, because they always end up with black crud on them. It seems no matter how well I scrape the residual crud out of my cast iron, there's always black flecks left over that kill pancakes and eggs.
How are you cleaning your pan? We don't really do anything special with ours, and we use them every day (this morning sausage in one and hash browns in the other, the night before kim chi fried rice). Usually we let it sit for a few hours to cool down, then I just pour some water in, scrub it out with a dish towel, rinse it, then dry it off immediately and put it back on the range. I've never had any crud or anything that needed scraping. There's always a layer of oil on it because we don't ever go at it with soap, although if it ever looks a little dry from the dish towel I'll put some oil on it and work it into the metal with a paper towel or something.

Also real books aren't useless :(. If there's one thing that drives me nuts it's the plethora of crappy recipe databases out there web-scraping from each other. If I had to pick one must-have reading material for a cook it'd probably be Cook's Illustrated, actually. Their stuff is totally ace.

_Isaac

How are you cleaning your pan? We don't really do anything special with ours, and we use them every day (this morning sausage in one and hash browns in the other, the night before kim chi fried rice). Usually we let it sit for a few hours to cool down, then I just pour some water in, scrub it out with a dish towel, rinse it, then dry it off immediately and put it back on the range. I've never had any crud or anything that needed scraping. There's always a layer of oil on it because we don't ever go at it with soap, although if it ever looks a little dry from the dish towel I'll put some oil on it and work it into the metal with a paper towel or something.

Also real books aren't useless :(. If there's one thing that drives me nuts it's the plethora of crappy recipe databases out there web-scraping from each other. If I had to pick one must-have reading material for a cook it'd probably be Cook's Illustrated, actually. Their stuff is totally ace.

Wait so you want to keep the oil in the pan?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah maybe a book makes sense in fact, the web is a bit of a mess of who knows what.

About cleaning pans, I got a glass plate that is outright uncleanable. That thing is full of burned bits that seem to have fused into it. I don't care, lol.

_Isaac

Yeah maybe a book makes sense in fact, the web is a bit of a mess of who knows what.

About cleaning pans, I got a glass plate that is outright uncleanable. That thing is full of burned bits that seem to have fused into it. I don't care, lol.

Online individual recipes come with comments so people can actually say if it's good or if it turned out way too salty and such. A book you kinda have to just trust. I guess it must be good since it made it into a book.

thespot84

Yes, the accumulated oils are what protect the cast iron from moisture and thus rust. And also make it magically non-stick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast-iron_cookware#Seasoning
http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp#2

I'm sure this is in those links, but basically the layer you accumulate is lipids (fats) filling up the cracks in the metal, and I believe it's called a fron. You want to accumulate as much as possible, because lipis are hydrophobic which makes the pan non stick.

NEVER let soap touch your pan. I clean it with some salt as an aggregate and a towel and hot water. You'll start noticing the layer after a couple uses, and it will just get better with time.

_Isaac

I'm sure this is in those links, but basically the layer you accumulate is lipids (fats) filling up the cracks in the metal, and I believe it's called a fron. You want to accumulate as much as possible, because lipis are hydrophobic which makes the pan non stick.

NEVER let soap touch your pan. I clean it with some salt as an aggregate and a towel and hot water. You'll start noticing the layer after a couple uses, and it will just get better with time.

What does the layer look like once you start noticing it?

This is very interesting I never knew all this. I've heard of seasoning your pans, but the concept sounded silly. I just imagined you seasoned your pans with pepper or something so everything you cook in it will have a bit of a pepper taste.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys, I have some chicken, and I don't feel like eating chicken tonight. So I'll cut it up and marinate it for tomorrow night.

What marinade could I make?

I have:

-Maple syrup
-Cayenne pepper
-Paprika
-Ground mustard
-Cinnamon
-Nutmeg
-Cumin
-Turmeric
-Fresh ginger
-Dried oregano
-Curry powder
-Soy sauce
-Molasses
-Vinegar
-Red wine

Some other stuff I guess I forget. BTW I cooked some steak in molasses the other day, it's awesome!

CrankyJay

Banned
Guys, I have some chicken, and I don't feel like eating chicken tonight. So I'll cut it up and marinate it for tomorrow night.

What marinade could I make?

I have:

-Maple syrup
-Cayenne pepper
-Paprika
-Ground mustard
-Cinnamon
-Nutmeg
-Cumin
-Turmeric
-Fresh ginger
-Dried oregano
-Curry powder
-Soy sauce
-Molasses
-Vinegar
-Red wine

Some other stuff I guess I forget. BTW I cooked some steak in molasses the other day, it's awesome!

You could basically make a honey mustard with the syrup or the molasses and mustard if you wanted, and even spike it with some of that paprika and cayenne.

Or you could make a nice asian inspired dish with the soy sauce, ground mustard, and ginger.

What does the layer look like once you start noticing it?

This is very interesting I never knew all this. I've heard of seasoning your pans, but the concept sounded silly. I just imagined you seasoned your pans with pepper or something so everything you cook in it will have a bit of a pepper taste.

Here are two pans side by side, the left is dirty (grilled some rolls coated in butter in it earlier for some pesto provolone sandwiches), the right I cleaned just before taking the picture. You'll note there isn't much difference ;).

cast-iron-1.jpg

Close up of the second pan.

cast-iron-2.jpg

ChanHuk

Banned
Making bolognaise drunk. Fucked up by using too small a stock pot. Fucked up by not having chopped tomatos so I upped the tomato purée and used chicken stock instead. Results in 2 hours.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You could basically make a honey mustard with the syrup or the molasses and mustard if you wanted, and even spike it with some of that paprika and cayenne.

Or you could make a nice asian inspired dish with the soy sauce, ground mustard, and ginger.

Sounds like the marinate I used to do: maple syrup, mustard, soy sauce, vinegar, some oregano. It was originally for a pork roast, but I started using it for chicken brochettes too and it tastes rather good.

I'll try something with the soy sauce/mustard/ginger instead, thanks!

Got a bullet smoker for Christmas, today is my first attempt at making a brisket. I made sure to cure the smoker yesterday, and I set up a rub late last night, had it sit overnight and started about 7 this morning. At noon I put it in foil, then I put it in the oven a couple of hours before my family came over. It came out really juicy, all in all a great first attempt.

This one sat on the 2nd rack said:

This was on the top rack said:

A cut of the top rack said:

A cut of the 2nd rack said:

Zyzyxxz

Wow that looks beautiful but your brisket piece is weird. Makes me wonder what kind of butcher cut it because that's not the way of cutting I am familiar with (in the last pic I am referring to)

Wow that looks beautiful but your brisket piece is weird. Makes me wonder what kind of butcher cut it because that's not the way of cutting I am familiar with (in the last pic I am referring to)

Hm.. I'm not sure, it's a local grocery store bought brisket. So I'm assuming maybe a machine cut?

Das Boot

Banned

The key that you want to look for in recipe books is it's use of cooking principles as opposed to simply recipes--the idea being that you will actually learn how to truly cook instead of just being able to replicate recipes without understanding why you do things.

At least that's how I learned to cook.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Made homemade Italian Wedding soup last night after liking the canned version last week. Turned out well, used store-bought meatballs though over making my own.

IMG_20120108_173732.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sorry for the DP, but I have a question about my soup in the above post. It turned out well and tastes good, but the greens still have a small bit of bitterness to them. Is there any way to alleviate that during cooking or preparation?

thespot84

Sorry for the DP, but I have a question about my soup in the above post. It turned out well and tastes good, but the greens still have a small bit of bitterness to them. Is there any way to alleviate that during cooking or preparation?

did you blanch them? Not sure it would help but it's a thought...

So I'm currently in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam right now. I had lunch at the internationally/locally renown "Lunch Lady" in District 1 (her real name is Nguyen Thi Thanh). She's known for cooking a cycle menu each week, where she'll cook a different fresh stock of soup using market ingredients each day. She was featured in an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain.

Today is Saturday so she made Banh Cahn. Its a crab based soup (she makes the same soup on Tuesday, but uses a pork bone stock), loaded with tapioca noodles (which resemble udon, kinda chewy, nice texture), fish cakes, mushrooms, shallots, blood cake, ham hock, two prawns and pork slices . Its absolutely FANTASTIC. Oh and I forgot, she adds quail egg too. Its a fiendish bowl of soup.

Banh Canh by MisterNugNug, on Flickr

She wakes up early each morning and gathers all the ingredients from local vendors and starts her magic. She opens her stall at 11AM and locals and foreigners frequent her stall.
If anyone is traveling to Vietnam, I'd recommend making a stop at her stall. She's located on 23 Hoang Sa, in District 1. I'm staying at a hotel across the street from Ben Thanh Market and literally the trip to and back by taxi including the bowl of soup and drinks (I recommend sugar cane juice, cold and refreshing) cost about 10 dollars U.S.

The soup itself was $1.50 U.S per bowl (30,000 Vietnamese Dollars as of this post). She's extremely nice and is cool with posing for photos or video. I don't know if she makes the best soup in Ho Chi Minh City, but I'm going there again and again and again throughout the remainder of this trip.

The Lunch Lady by MisterNugNug, on Flickr

And indeed her noodles bring all the boys to the yard. BELIEVE.

Fantastic...loved that episode of No Reservations and she's also appeared on just about any other food travelogue show to visit the region.

My life lacks epic soups....never even had proper Ramen...

Tapioca noodles sound interesting though---only tapioca experience I have is that one pizza dough recipe thing I used one time and chewy is definitely an apt adjective.

iD5SV.jpg

Not an awesome soup, but what else really can be save for just that?

Cheese: Uniekaas Reserve This is apparently some kinda weirdly aged Gouda---totally different than most. It generally melts in place, has an almost nutty taste, handles about like a physical block of parmesan/romano, and is INCREDIBLY oily unless that Red Wine Salame is seriously exceeding my expectations.

Crumble: Sensible Portions Sweet BBQ Potato Straws Probably the messiest chip-thing I've ever had in the sense that if you take a bite out of a straw, as opposed to putting the entire thing in your mouth, you are all but guaranteed to send crumbs and such flying in every direction on account of it having just that kinda structure to it. Worked well with this in particular given the overabundance of oil it helped to somewhat absorb and was generally nice considering I've not had too many strong winners in Sweet BBQ versus savory BBQ.

Zyzyxxz

Ugh kind sad work has taken over cooking life but I found out a local place makes fresh burrata cheese and sells it for only $6/pound! I couldn't resist and make a simple caprese salad with skinned tomatoes that my grandma grows, some toasted baguette slices, and a balsamic vinagrette.

6699856157_32dbaab00a_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom