• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiJoccin

I have some leftover mini pie rounds (very mini, maybe 1.5 inches across) and was thinking about using the rest to make mini savory pies for dinner - any ideas on filling? I was thinking maybe of doing some sauteed spinach and ricotta, but any other directions are welcome

Alucrid

Banned
So I tried to make the pancakes again, at lower heat, but it still got stuck to the pan.

So I did as I said I would: I took the rest of the mix and poured it in a large rectangular glass bowl, put it in the oven, and waited. It started to crack a bit (like a desert) but it was close to the consistency of pancakes. Cut out a piece, sprinkle some cinnamon and pour some maple syrup and it is delicious.

That's how I'll do it now, so much simpler and clear. Just put the thing in the oven, done!

I call them, ovencakes.

I mean, are you using cooking spray or butter or something prior? Maybe look into getting a non-stick pan?

So I tried to make the pancakes again, at lower heat, but it still got stuck to the pan.

So I did as I said I would: I took the rest of the mix and poured it in a large rectangular glass bowl, put it in the oven, and waited. It started to crack a bit (like a desert) but it was close to the consistency of pancakes. Cut out a piece, sprinkle some cinnamon and pour some maple syrup and it is delicious.

That's how I'll do it now, so much simpler and clear. Just put the thing in the oven, done!

I call them, ovencakes.

Pics? Might help in figuring this thing out.

akira28

9 or 10.

Sounds good!

Pancakes need heat, higher heat than you might think. I cook mine at 375F, when my griddle goes up to 400 degrees F. I'm sure your cooker device doesn't go up to 1000F, so you're going to need to try a higher setting. They're cooked quickly, 2-3 minutes per side. High temperature, melt butter for light grease coating, pour mix in a disc, let the batter set and connect to the metal surface for 40 seconds to a minute so it can get that light brown crust, and then run your spatula under it once, but leave it. Flip it in another minute or so, or once the top starts to physically change where you see the batter becoming more solid. If you flip it and it runs everywhere, it wasn't quite ready to flip. It's a process, but once you get the timing down, perfect pancakes every time.

Zyzyxxz

Dam prices on Tojiro knives are go up, you use to be able to buy the nakiri for only $40 and now its $50. Better get on it before exchange rates get worse (which I doubt but rather not chance it)

Since I need a santoku probably going to pick this up: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshsa161.html

Can't seem to narrow down my choices of whetstones though.

dyonPT

After cooling on racks, first few slices:
bread-6.JPG

Whole process takes about five and half to six hours but it's mostly just empty time waiting for rising and baking, actual work is probably an hour.

Love the bread and love your cat! Looks just like mine :)

For pancakes I use Deborah Madison's recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. It's summarized here:

http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/pancake.htm

I never use nutmeg myself and I always use buttermilk (it's usually cheap, go get some!). I cook them with no added butter on a cast iron skillet on an LP range with 15k BTU burners on medium heat. They cook very quickly, and they just come off the griddle and then onto my kid's plates.

Damn I'm hungry.

totowhoa

Banned
Cooking noob here.

Cooking hamburgers on the stovetop on medium.

It's taking like... 30 minutes and they aren't at 160 degrees yet?

Turn the heat up. That's a pretty long time for burgers... i would think 3-6 min per side depending on how done you want it would be closer to what you're looking for.

I haven't cooked burgers on a skillet in a while, but I'm pretty sure I always cooked on med-high. Also, burners can vary from kitchen to kitchen, particularly with older ones. Of my four burners, I have two that are pretty wonky... one gets hotter than it should, while the other heats up slower than the others (and I believe runs slightly cooler than the others on each setting).

Who knows, maybe your thermometer has a problem as well. I've had thermometers go out on me before. Have you tried cutting a slit in the center and checking to see if they're pink or done? I also wouldn't be too strict about the temp if the thermometer is fine (155 degrees would be fine). You can eyeball burgers without really having to worry about the exact temp too

totowhoa

Banned
Any tips for preparing "skillet" steak? They're really thin, and my dad always grills them into tough little pucks.

Is skillet steak a type of cut? Not familiar with it if so. If you're referring to cooking it in a skillet, then... for something like a rib eye, I usually preheat my oven to 500 and stick the cast iron in there. I pull it out once it hits the temp and set it on a burner (already on high) and sear the steaks (they should be at room temp) on high in a cast iron skillet briefly until they look good on the outside (don't want to move 'em though, sear around 30 seconds per side for like 1" or 1.5" cuts), then I toss the skillet in the oven and cook until a couple minutes for medium rare. If they're really thin this might be enough to get them well done for your family or guests who hate pink meat for some reason

Not sure how thin "really thin" this is though (half inch?) so you may go about preparing them different. Still not sure what skillet steak is either, if it's a type of cut. I might know it by another name.

thespot84

a nice trick to test how hot a pan is is to throw some water droplets on it. Above 100C/212F and under 200C/380F the water will bubble and steam off rapidly, but at around 200/380 the bubbles will keep their shape and roll around the pan with very little friction (called the Leidenfrost Effect. That way you know your pan is at least that hot. i find it to be a good temp for saute depending on my oil and should be just fine for burgers too

akira28

^ that's how you're supposed to cook with a stainless steel skillet that isn't non-stick treated. At that temp, the metal is fused at the microscopic level, so there aren't tiny little jaggies for the meat or whatever to get stuck to. When the water beads up and rolls around, that's when you put your oil in and can get to frying or sauteing without worrying about sticking. And you can generally use less oil, at that.

(also, it's not that hard to understand how some people dislike pink meat. They're much easier to please than the ones who prefer gradients of doneness. I like mostly grey with a bit of char, and a hint of pink at the center.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
THEN WHY HAVE MEAT? I hate people :) I guess you could just quickly sear them and throw them into the oven?

Yeah. :/ I suppose I'll follow your suggestion and sear/oven them.

If they're really thin this might be enough to get them well done for your family or guests who hate pink meat for some reason.

B-b-b-bloood!!!1!!

Not sure how thin "really thin" this is though (half inch?) so you may go about preparing them different. Still not sure what skillet steak is either, if it's a type of cut. I might know it by another name.

The package just says "skillet steak". It's a cut of thinly sliced beef. About half an inch, or less. I think I could cut it into strips and stir fry them.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That's not blood its leftover water from the meat. If you have seen animals slaughtered you'd see they would have drained the blood which is usually crimson red so unless you see this:

C0094380-Cow_Blood_for_Flea_Research-SPL.jpg

It's not blood.

That's right, the technical term of the red juice is myoglobin.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I got that Julia Child French cooking book. Those recipes don't look simple!

Zyzyxxz

I got that Julia Child French cooking book. Those recipes don't look simple!

But the explanations are very clear and I love the setup how each step has its own ingredients so you know when you need each one instead of being given a long list. Makes it easier to read.

idwl

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dyon! I hate you. I've just been scrolling through the past few pages and I'm craving so many of your desserts :( why do you have to make them look so so good.

Looks like something from the round. Maybe top round. Marinating it and stir-frying it as you said would be fine, or you could tenderize it and make country-fried steak.

Stalfos

How about steak sandwiches? maybe a classic cheesesteak?. I just foresee a cut like that turning into a hockey puck if you overcook it by a few seconds.

I'd actually agree with this. With that cut of steak a sandwich might be a good use. I'd still try to sear it to medium rare in the center but it seems his family won't eat less than well done which is a shame.

For the sandwich I'd sear the steaks, saute up some onions, and put that in a butter toasted sandwich roll.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
It's called "Lövbiff" in Sweden.

I usually sear it in a super hot pan with butter, when blood starts to seeps thru, flip. When blood starts to seep thru, take it off. Serve with grated horseradish, an egg yolk and french fries.

Obv. salt and pepper before it hits the pan.

Should look like this:

IACuyl.jpg

ShinAmano

Been a while since I had anything to share in this thread which makes me sad. That said I have cooked 3 Turkeys in the past month. 1 Smoked on the Grill and 2 Roasted in the oven. I plan to do another on Sunday with a cajun injection.

I also have a freezer full of Omaha Steak stuff that was a gift from family...will take forever to go through it all...I am thinking a spring time cookout party is in the works :)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How about steak sandwiches? maybe a classic cheesesteak?. I just foresee a cut like that turning into a hockey puck if you overcook it by a few seconds.

I'd actually agree with this. With that cut of steak a sandwich might be a good use. I'd still try to sear it to medium rare in the center but it seems his family won't eat less than well done which is a shame.

For the sandwich I'd sear the steaks, saute up some onions, and put that in a butter toasted sandwich roll.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if they ever buy it again. I used the sear/oven method, and it turned out okay-ish. Kinda tough, but it was still edible.

It's called "Lövbiff" in Sweden.

I usually sear it in a super hot pan with butter, when blood starts to seeps thru, flip. When blood starts to seep thru, take it off. Serve with grated horseradish, an egg yolk and french fries.

Obv. salt and pepper before it hits the pan.

Should look like this:

Great. It's nice to know that this mysterious cut of meat actually has some defined uses.

Zyzyxxz

Anyone know where Yes Boss! has been? I always loved seeing his pictures. Same for ze Onkel - why you no post pictures of cooking anymore?

I PM'd him a while back and I think he said he was on military duty so he's not be able to cook and take pics. Said he'd be back here eventually.

My brother wants a non-nonstick wok for Christmas. Any recommendations? Something I can overnight from Amazon would be good.

I hope you don't mean one of those teflon-coated woks. Traditional woks are non-stick once they're seasoned and are treated correctly. Woks are supposed to be used in super-high heat so having something like a teflon-coating on it would be a bad idea.

The best bang for your buck IMO is a carbon steel wok. I got mine from the wok shop (http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-wood-handles.html) and it's great. After the initial seasoning, just treat it like cast iron.

I was overcome by the urge to make noodles this afternoon, so I made noodle soup with some leftovers in the fridge.

6552319447_8fbe0aff24.jpg

cutting the noodle dough

6552319409_db263cac98.jpg

the finished product

thespot84

I hope you don't mean one of those teflon-coated woks. Traditional woks are non-stick once they're seasoned and are treated correctly. Woks are supposed to be used in super-high heat so having something like a teflon-coating on it would be a bad idea.

The best bang for your buck IMO is a carbon steel wok. I got mine from the wok shop (http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-wood-handles.html) and it's great. After the initial seasoning, just treat it like cast iron.

I was overcome by the urge to make noodles this afternoon, so I made noodle soup with some leftovers in the fridge.

6552319447_8fbe0aff24.jpg

cutting the noodle dough

6552319409_db263cac98.jpg

the finished product

could you point me to your noodle recipe? or just brief directions?

UrokeJoe

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7160/6552319447_8fbe0aff24.jpg
cutting the noodle dough

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7171/6552319409_db263cac98.jpg
the finished product

Like cast iron, love my cast iron. Very nice. Thanks.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Anyone know where Yes Boss! has been? I always loved seeing his pictures. Same for ze Onkel - why you no post pictures of cooking anymore?

Yes Boss! ist in the Army now and not able to do a decent cooking at this time, which I regret as well.

As for my person, I am extremely involved in my job and simply haven't cooked anything worth of notice for quite some time now. It makes me very happy, though, that the thread is going strong. I hope that I will find the time to do some decent cooking in the near future again.

In the meantime, plenty of new and gifted posters have joined the ranks of IronGAF and make this thread a constant joy to observe.

A big "Thank you!" to all the contributors. Keep it coming!

I think that teflon is what he's trying to avoid. Thanks for the info! I'll try to find a good carbon steel one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom