• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Would pickles be considered a weird topping?

My mom used to make pizza with ground meat, pickles (finely diced), tomatos, ketchup and cheese on top.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone ever actually gotten anchovies on pizza? I kind of want to try it as anchovies have a stigmata against them when most people won't even try them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone ever actually gotten anchovies on pizza? I kind of want to try it as anchovies have a stigmata against them when most people won't even try them.

Sure I do sometimes. It's great. It just tastes like salt pretty much.

It's a bit like a sardine, but very salty with a very moderate fish taste.

Alucrid

Banned

No, but one friend, every fucking time we got pizza would ask if anyone wanted to get anchovies with him. Every time we would all say no.

totowhoa

Banned

My mom used to make pizza with ground meat, pickles (finely diced), tomatos, ketchup and cheese on top.

Yeah I've had pizza similar to that, always heard it referred to as cheeseburger pizza. Pickles were good on it. I always thought of it as stoner food though, heh

ChanHuk

Banned
So Marco Pierre White and has posted recipes under Knorr stock products. Tried out his chicken, peas, and brown rice and it was amazing. You can tell it's a lazy guy's meal because he didn't even brown the chicken and it still came out amazing. But he makes all his recipes with Knorr so simple that you can add your own touches easily. I love how he says there's no real recipe in almost all his videos, its all to your liking.

_Isaac

My dad once gave up land meat for lent, so we got some pizza with anchovies. It was absolutely horrible.

EDIT: Also the anchovies we got didn't have a stigmata against them. :p

Zyzyxxz

I made Alton Brown's eggnog with some Jim Beam. :D

P.S. Santa, bring me an electric mixer.

Get an immersion blender/stick blender.

I have one of those handheld electric mixers and I never use it anymore as I like to have a free hand.

For me I go to either Kitchen Aid stand mixer or my cuisinart immersion blender which is a godsend for making quick hollandaise without the mess of having to clean up the blender vessel.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Get an immersion blender/stick blender.

I have one of those handheld electric mixers and I never use it anymore as I like to have a free hand.

For me I go to either Kitchen Aid stand mixer or my cuisinart immersion blender which is a godsend for making quick hollandaise without the mess of having to clean up the blender vessel.

I found an interesting use of the kitchenaid mixer for making hollandaise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ltdui0ruCU
Key seems to be to preheat the mixing bowl to 70 degrees celsius and using the butter right from the melting pot/skillet. Will try that out on occasion.

This just gave me a great idea - a cuban sandwich pizza! A regular pizza topped with pickle slices, pulled pork, ham, and a bit of mustard. Mmmm I'm gonna have to try this now.

Bread weekend again, decided to make this bread again. Tough getting high rising out of it with how cold it is in Maine right now, but I took some pictures anyway in case folks had never made bread by hand and were curious. I used a bunch of stuff from our local winter pantry CSA for these loaves: maple syrup for the sweetener to feed the yeast, locally milled whole wheat flour and oats.

Sponge is done after beating 100 times with spoon:
bread-1.JPG

Dough has been kneaded and first rise in progress:
bread-2.JPG

After punching down and in prep for second rise:
bread-3.JPG

Shaped into loaves and rising in buttered pans:
bread-4.JPG

Loaves have risen and been covered in an egg & cream wash (eggs from my chickens that morning :):
bread-5.JPG

After cooling on racks, first few slices:
bread-6.JPG

Whole process takes about five and half to six hours but it's mostly just empty time waiting for rising and baking, actual work is probably an hour.

Nothing better than warm freshly home baked bread with melting butter on it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

A hamburger pizza? That's definitely strange. Was it any good?

Maklershed, that's a good idea; putting sandwich toppings on pizza. I might try that too.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Been baking all day today

almond tart with pears that looked way better on the site where i found recipe for it
FqcQul.jpg

I ended up with too much crust so I made these lemon tartlets (which I filled before taking out of the forms -_-)
pc3Nll.jpg

cheesecake with raisins and candied orange peel
0rEQYl.jpg

makowiec aka poppy seed cake glazed with dulce de leche
nUo5ul.jpg

and these lil' guys
ZUDccl.jpg

Zc6ZGl.jpg

UrokeJoe

KitchenAid mixers, honestly?

The reviews are so mixed(pun) I'm not sure which one is best for my kneads(pun). I want to be able to make bread or pizza dough, but at the most once a week. I also don't want to go overkill, I just want what fits my needs(no pun). Even the classic is an investment... My question I guess is, is the classic a good start? Can I make bread?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Making Maid Rites tonight. Kind of an Iowa thing I think, not sure if there are any Maid Rite restaurants in other states. It's basically scrambled hamburger with spices on a bun.

For mine I browned hamburger and added beef broth, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, some garlic power, salt, and pepper. Just simmer it all for an hour or so. Delicious.

Not much to see, but
IMG_20111224_162547.jpg

ChanHuk

Banned

The reviews are so mixed(pun) I'm not sure which one is best for my kneads(pun). I want to be able to make bread or pizza dough, but at the most once a week. I also don't want to go overkill, I just want what fits my needs(no pun). Even the classic is an investment... My question I guess is, is the classic a good start? Can I make bread?

Avoid the KitchenAid Artisan series at all costs. They use plastic gears that constantly break down. I hear good things about the Breville mixer, I have a Breville juicer and have nothing but good things to say about it.

St2aQ.jpg

Good eats tonight, and I think this put me past the 100 Cheeses mark....roughly...and I managed to score another new one for next week which results in December being a clean sweep and a hell of a nice cap to this year of my experimenting.

Also, let it be forever known: Sriracha goes will with Crab Boil seasoning. I don't know why, but the collision of very different heats seems to do wonderful things.

Cheese: Heini's Amish Milk Can Cheddar This was a great cheddar----bubbly melter, low oil, and one of the first cheeses in a very long time to make me think of mac 'n cheese.

GiJoccin

knead with yo fists! auto lyse makes life easy peasy, does most of the kneading for you

rykomatsu

Had been too busy to do much cooking during the semester...finally got around to applying some of the concepts and techniques covered in Modernist Cuisine. Tried making a roasted chicken somewhat modernist cuisine style...separated the skin first, cooked to an internal temp for the meat, then re-roasted to crisp the skin.

2011-12-24_18-59-14_666.jpg

Fiancee enjoyed it a lot...very moist and flavorful, but with a nicely crisped skin that didn't go soggy right away. Raising the oven to max temp, then opening it led to the fire alarm going off though :( Also made some soup stocks from the recommended ratios from the book a pressure cooker. The french onion soup I made from it was extremely flavorful and complex...we agreed that it was one of the best we've had.

Sous Vide PID controller is down for the time being...I need to repair it so hopefully I'll be able to get that going soon. I'm really tempted to plunk down on a chamber vacuum sealer now... :(

MrBig

Made some root beer with a kit someone got me for christmas.
Tried it out today and it has a wine taste that overpowers the rootbeer flavor, I'm guessing I let it carbonate too long? Directions said 1-3 days, but the first time I checked after about 14 hours they were firm and I put them in the fridge

CrankyJay

Banned
Disappointed in the Buffalo weather this week and my holiday schedule, was hoping to get smoke two more pork butts on my smoker this week. Maybe on Sunday/Monday.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
looks interesting, thanks for sharing. Mind a little explanation of that popsickle?

The Grill I got as birthday present works like a charm:
a11c5d07.jpg

930f8cb7.jpg

383ecb5a.jpg

f75710a5.jpg

Chris R

Got a cake pop kit for Xmas, holy pain in the ass. They look kinda pretty though.

What is in the kit? I loved when my mom made cake pops, but they are dangerous. So dense that one pop is like a whole slice of cake, so you have to watch how many you eat!

What's the opinion of sauce and cooking meat?
I'm grilling up some Chicken Satay for New Year's eve and I want it to be outstanding. I made it once a few months ago. Everyone loved it but I wasn't extremly happy and I want to make it much better this time.
-Mainly I'm wondering about if I should sauce them at all before the grill.
-Any specifics for this dish? Low/high heat.
-I'm cooking them on a brand new grill I'm putting together right now and should I season the grill first?
Any thoughts about the size of my cuts? I'm making it from chicken breasts and last time I put two pieces on a skewer. I think it was about a 3/8 thick cut and I wonder if they should be thinner or thicker. I have a really good sauce and marinade (I think) so I'm looking for anything to make this GREAT!

Tinabina

The kit came with the cake mix, butter cream frosting, white chocolate chips then the sticks and sugar crystals. The outside is the melted white chocolate and the inside is the cake which you crumble and mix with the frosting and shape into balls. They are very dense and so sweet but I'm not really a fan of white chocolate so that might just be it.

So im cooking my G/F dinner tomorrow at her place. She said she wants something with chicken in it. Any suggestions of something that wont take tons and tons of prep time and isnt all that difficult?

D-Pad

I'm really getting tired of my cooking. I need new ideas and flavors.

Start substituting ingredients. Yesterday I made oven fried chicken breasts by dipping the chicken in (a milked down) ranch dressing and barbecue potato chips/french fried onion mix. T'was good!

Esch

Banned
As a longtime lurker first time poster here you guys go. I tried my hand at chinese last night and made some char siu pork on the grill, turned out very tender and tasty. i know it doesnt look like much! Ended up grilling some leftover salted pineapple on the side and serving with(sorry zyzyxxz :[[[), blasphemous but a good compliment i think. anyone wants the recipe ill post.

20111229192608.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
As a longtime lurker first time poster here you guys go. I tried my hand at chinese last night and made some char siu pork on the grill, turned out very tender and tasty. i know it doesnt look like much! Ended up grilling some leftover salted pineapple on the side and serving with(sorry zyzyxxz :[[[), blasphemous but a good compliment i think. anyone wants the recipe ill post.

Looks delicious. I've never eaten char siu pork (or char siu anything for that matter), but now I want to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom