• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

totowhoa

Banned
A couple of questions, the pulled pork I made is now slathered in BBQ sauce would it be wise to us BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce for the spaghetti? I'm really curious as to how that would taste. Maybe instead of parm i would add shredded cheddar for the cheese.

I think this could work if you got really stoned first.

Anybody here made swordfish before? I did a little reading since a local place keeps it on hand. I think I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow evening. I've been eating more seafood recently and I'm really enjoying fish as a regular dish. These will by my first swordfish cuts though.

thespot84

A couple of questions, the pulled pork I made is now slathered in BBQ sauce would it be wise to us BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce for the spaghetti? I'm really curious as to how that would taste. Maybe instead of parm i would add shredded cheddar for the cheese.

Whatcha think?

I have witnessed bbq sauce on pasta and would recommend you stay the hell away.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Burger Dinner this monday in Frankfurt/Main, wasn't quite as good as the burger place in my hometown:

IMG00001-20120116-1955.jpg

IMG00006-20120116-2003.jpg

IMG00008-20120116-2003.jpg

IMG00010-20120116-2031.jpg

thespot84

mashed yucca is fantastic but much more of a pain than potatoes.

If anyone is ever in DC, make sure to eat lunch at the Smithsonian native american history museum. They have a cafeteria featuring stations of all the different native american cuisines; the first place I had yucca. Really worth the trip.

Vaporak

I made a lazy Katsu Curry tonight for dinner. I kinda fucked up the curry, had too much water so it's not nearly thick enough even after adding some cornstarch, but whatever. It's lazy because the pork is baked instead of fried.

IMG_0107.jpg

old fashioned butter cake with raspberry filling and chocolate buttercream frosting
IXLnS.jpg

sopes! chipotle chicken (R) and beans y chorizo (L) for the filling, topped with roasted tomato salsa, chopped cabbage, ranchero cheese, and crema mexicana. so good.

mvA77.jpg

old fashioned butter cake with raspberry filling and chocolate buttercream frosting

Nice looking cake. I showed this to my wife (the pastry chef in the house) the other morning and she was immediately tempted to start making her own.

Pizza with roasted garlic and butternut squash base, goat cheese, and caramelized onions. This was pretty good, especially as we made the dough from scratch too:

squash-pizza.jpg

Made some breaded and fried eggplant sandwiches with sauteed spicy rapini, spicy gochuchang mayonaise, and provolone. This is a recreation of a hoagie I used to get down in PA where I grew up. For the second go round I broiled the roll and cheese first to melt it and crisp the bread a little, definitely the touch that put it over the edge into awesome. Also we tried adding some corn starch to the eggplant breading and that definitely seemed to make it pop a bit more.

eggplant-sandwich.jpg

D-Pad

Ma and I made a meatless four bean chili for dinner today, along with some sweet-scoopable corn cake. We tried a veggie meat-substitute which added a nice ground beef-like texture to the dish. Sour cream and sriracha hot sauce made it even more amazing. And it's going to be even better tomorrow. And even better than that the next day. Mmmmm!

four_bean_chiligerxe.png

Robot1X

Neo Member
Ma and I made a meatless four bean chili for dinner today, along with some sweet-scoopable corn cake. We tried a veggie meat-substitute which added a nice ground beef-like texture to the dish. Sour cream and sriracha hot sauce made it even more amazing. And it's going to be even better tomorrow. And even better than that the next day. Mmmmm!

four_bean_chiligerxe.png

Looks amazing. Recipe, please =)

I posted this in Seattle-GAF, but wanted to see if you guys could also help me out with this. I'll be in town early March for my birthday and wanted to treat myself to a nice dinner, possibly with a friend or two. Any recommendations? So far I'm thinking of doing an omakase at Shiro's.

I tried horse in China, I thought it was pork at first but its kind of a weird hybrid of pork and beef.

That sounds like the time I was "tricked" into eating dog in China. Tasted just like over-braised beef to me. I would totally eat it again if it were more delicious.

thespot84

Only in solid form. The original "Sauerbraten" is made from horse meat. compared to beef, it's got a slightly sweeter taste and is a bit more friably/crumbly/tender/whatever.

English is not you're first language, correct? I'm just curious because you used the word 'friable', which is not common in the vernacular at all, at least here in the US, and is only used in a pseudo-scientific sense when referring to the ability of asbestos to be come airborne (weird I know).

The word works just fine as you used it, I'm just curious where you learned it.

Maiar_m

OnkelC is German, if I'm not mistaken, and "friable" is a common word in the French vocabulary. German and French share a few cultural bias that may transpire in our English vocabulary. Also, "bröckelig" seems much less English-friendly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, IronGaf, I have been doing the whole meat/veggies thing on my new eating plan for weeknight meals. Thing is I get tired of the same sides and variations of meat day in and day out.

Any suggestions for good (healthy) side dishes to go with meat? Also, how would you "spice up" your typical chicken breast or pork chop for an easy weeknight meal?

thespot84

OnkelC is German, if I'm not mistaken, and "friable" is a common word in the French vocabulary. German and French share a few cultural bias that may transpire in our English vocabulary. Also, "bröckelig" seems much less English-friendly.

Thanks, my etymological curiosity got the best of me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't think it's common in north america, but it's common at least in Japan, along with whale and other crazy stuff (natto, anyone?) I honestly couldn't see it tasting better than cow (dat marbling). Anyone had both and can compare?

Whales too? Hmmm...:/ That's interesting. I wonder if it's good.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Whales too? Hmmm...:/ That's interesting. I wonder if it's good.

A friend of mine brought some canned whale back from his trip to japan, and we made tacos with it. It was ok. I will never again eat it in my life, and I don't regret that at all.

Perhaps the fresh stuff would be tastier.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A friend of mine brought some canned whale back from his trip to japan, and we made tacos with it. It was ok. I will never again eat it in my life, and I don't regret that at all.

Perhaps the fresh stuff would be tastier.

Whale tacos! That's really unique. Can you describe the flavor?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Whale tacos! That's really unique. Can you describe the flavor?

I remember it being kind of like eel, but it was in the can with some sauce. Fishy, but not too fishy.

Yea we were having a taco night and he brought it over to try. I mexified the flavor a little bit.

totowhoa

Banned
Made some Korean food for dinner last night, and it was all great. I just stumbled on a website some of you may know about--http://www.maangchi.com. Lots of recipes and cooking videos by a Korean woman. She's a lot of fun to watch and the videos are done quite well.

We cooked a little appetizer called pajeon. Green onions and a tasty batter. We also made a sauce for it, which is what really made it. I plan on remaking this in various ways with different vegetables and whatnot inside. I had some full of seafood a month ago at local Korean restaurant.

ibmVFeBBfk8ogK.jpg

Made a spinach dish as well (called sigeumchi namul) that was great.

isABPCdwsNPKq.jpg

Main dish was galbi jim, beef short ribs cooked with daikon and carrots.

iAAybRw4Dj7M8.jpg

iVdiGdeq5esii.jpg

Credit to GAFfer Aquavelvaman for takin pics

Axion22

So, IronGaf, I have been doing the whole meat/veggies thing on my new eating plan for weeknight meals. Thing is I get tired of the same sides and variations of meat day in and day out.

Any suggestions for good (healthy) side dishes to go with meat? Also, how would you "spice up" your typical chicken breast or pork chop for an easy weeknight meal?

I had this problem, too. I've compensated by jumping around to various cultural/ethnic ingredients: your "asian, italian, american, french, german, mexican" - at least, you know, the versions I can fake.

For chicken breasts, I've taken this from this epicurious recipe:

3 large garlic cloves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Scant 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt, then transfer to a bowl. Stir in oregano, red-pepper flakes, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Cut a 2-inch-long pocket (about 1 1/2 inches deep) horizontally in side of each breast half and spread 1/2 teaspoon garlic mixture into each pocket.

The rest of the recipe is for full breast halves, so the cooking time & temp will be different if you're just using boneless skinless like I do most often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom