• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mœbius

Wife and I made some chocolate fondant last night but forgot to take pics! However did remember to take pics of the bibimbap we made the other day.

The egg had to be cooked separately and added since we don't have the stone bowls that they would normally be served (and cooked) in.

MpAle.jpg

sZaBE.jpg

Tr4nce

It's been a while since I posted here. Took a picture with my iPhone 4S. Tiagliatelle with meatballs in tomato sauce. It was so delicious!!!!!!!!!!!

c5raI.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I recently made a great pork loin roast and I'm going to share the recipe.

First, brine it!
fill container with water and pork loin in it. Add salt and sugar, refrigerate overnight.

Next day, remove from brine, let reach room temperature.

cut up some shallots, some fresh garlic. Mix it with extra virgin olive oil,salt, pepper and oregano. Rub this all over pork loin.

Wrap bacon over top of pork loin.

Roast for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

Lower temp to 350, roast for about 30 to 40 minutes and check internal temperature.

Keep doing this till your thermometer reads 150 F.

Best pork loin ever, serve with white rice and black beans. Pair with spanish wine or Syrah.

I don't do measurements, by the way.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made Carnitas, sort of! Turned out awesome, even if I used stock and coke instead of frying them in lard (I browned the meat in lard though)

Friend about 1kg of pork shoulder in lard until brown, and then removed from pot. Fried onions and garlic and a star anise until soft, then back with the meat. Added one chopped ancho (I think, large and dried, might have been chipotle) and the water used to boil it soft. Added halv a bottle of 500ml coca cola and some spices. Let that simmer uncovered and added more coke as needed. Let it reduce when meat was done and fry it in its own fat (plus some extra lard) until chewy.

Served on wheat tortillas with grated cheddar, sour cream and some sriracha (couldn't be arsed to make my own hot sauce plus I don't have a blender).

aiSJfl.jpg

rpqLBl.jpg

f0ItAl.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Made Carnitas, sort of! Turned out awesome, even if I used stock and coke instead of frying them in lard (I browned the meat in lard though)

Friend about 1kg of pork shoulder in lard until brown, and then removed from pot. Fried onions and garlic and a star anise until soft, then back with the meat. Added one chopped ancho (I think, large and dried, might have been chipotle) and the water used to boil it soft. Added halv a bottle of 500ml coca cola and some spices. Let that simmer uncovered and added more coke as needed. Let it reduce when meat was done and fry it in its own fat (plus some extra lard) until chewy.

Served on wheat tortillas with grated cheddar, sour cream and some sriracha (couldn't be arsed to make my own hot sauce plus I don't have a blender).

aiSJfl.jpg

rpqLBl.jpg

f0ItAl.jpg

You should make your own tortillas, you will never go back to store bought. Not too difficult either!

_Isaac

I have made my own tortillas, and I usually stick to store bought.

Anyway, what the heck is this? I found it in the kitchen.

jHzf0zcBRH2Fc.JPG

Zyzyxxz

I have made my own tortillas, and I usually stick to store bought.

Anyway, what the heck is this? I found it in the kitchen.

http://i.minus.com/jHzf0zcBRH2Fc.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

Other than reamer for an asshole I'd say you could use it as a mofongo masher:

[IMG]http://www.merrittclubs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Mashing-plantains-with-a-pil%C3%B3n.jpg

Mofongo is fried, mashed plantains usually combined with pork fat and served with soffrito sauce.

totowhoa

Banned
You should make your own tortillas, you will never go back to store bought. Not too difficult either!

I haven't made my own corn tortillas, but man. My fiance's father is with a hispanic woman who cooked us a lot of home made flour tortillas when we visited her. Sooo good. I had never realized how easy it was. She also mailed us some a month ago, along with several pounds of frozen tamales. :D

_Isaac

Kinda looks like a honey wand.
It kinda looks like it, but it still looks different from a typical honey wand.

Mashing-plantains-with-a-pil%C3%B3n.jpg

Mofongo is fried, mashed plantains usually combined with pork fat and served with soffrito sauce.

I guess it can be used for that, but I somehow doubt that's what it's for. The slanted rings on the bottom are actually loose. They move around, so I'm not sure if that would be used for mashing stuff.

Zyzyxxz

I haven't made my own corn tortillas, but man. My fiance's father is with a hispanic woman who cooked us a lot of home made flour tortillas when we visited her. Sooo good. I had never realized how easy it was. She also mailed us some a month ago, along with several pounds of frozen tamales. :D

All you need is a tortilla press as for the masa if you can find a good Mexican grocer buy from there or have it shipped to you frozen. I've made tortillas before as part of my old job, although it wasn't fun having to make hundreds of them.

VanWinkle

I got Alton Brown's Good Eats 3 book at Christmas, and man I've been loving it. So much information that I didn't know, and some great recipes as well. Anybody else have any of the Good Eats books?

Zyzyxxz

I got Alton Brown's Good Eats 3 book at Christmas, and man I've been loving it. So much information that I didn't know, and some great recipes as well. Anybody else have any of the Good Eats books?

I don't like him as a personality on his show he is always so cheesy but I like his opinions and thoughts on food so I'll check it out for sure.

If you enjoyed the discovery aspect of Alton Brown you'll probably enjoy Harold McGee's On Food And Cooking, it's sort of the bible of culinary science.

otake

Mashing-plantains-with-a-pil%C3%B3n.jpg

Close. No sofrito sauce and you missed a key ingredient; lots of garlic.

Coffee-molasses pork chops are marinating as I type! My brother and sister got me the complete set for Christmas. I think I'm going to build the flower pot smoker once I find some good terra cotta pots for it. Love the books, they're just packed with info and the recipes are always good.

VanWinkle

Coffee-molasses pork chops are marinating as I type! My brother and sister got me the complete set for Christmas. I think I'm going to build the flower pot smoker once I find some good terra cotta pots for it. Love the books, they're just packed with info and the recipes are always good.

I just read about that last night. Such an awesome idea. I will definitely have to make one of those.

I just read about that last night. Such an awesome idea. I will definitely have to make one of those.

He also has plans for a fish scaling container. It's a large clear plastic bin with two holes cut in it. The holes have gloves duck taped to them so one could operate inside of the container. He puts a knife and the fish in the bin, flips the bin upside down, and scales away. I think what I like most about Alton Brown is he gets carried away.

Speaking of which, if you do the coffe-molasses pork chops I would definitely do like 1/2 or 2/3 as much molasses than the recipe says. Great flavor but the first run of this recipe was definitely too sweet.

_Isaac

He also has plans for a fish scaling container. It's a large clear plastic bin with two holes cut in it. The holes have gloves duck taped to them so one could operate inside of the container. He puts a knife and the fish in the bin, flips the bin upside down, and scales away. I think what I like most about Alton Brown is he gets carried away.

Why is all that necessary? Do the scales fly at you? Are they radioactive?

Why is all that necessary? Do the scales fly at you? Are they radioactive?

I guess they fly at me. Scales go everywhere when you scale a fish, it's just the nature of it. You couldn't use a cutting board within a few feet of somebody scaling a fish for example, you could if he was doing this though. It's a crazy measure to take (at least I've never seen anything like it). I always see it done in a large sink if it's done indoors. I'd rather just have a nice cutting board set up on my dock with a cooler full of ice and hose it all down afterwards.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So, tonight and tomorrow Martin Picard (of Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal and No Reservations fame) is doing a guest appearance at a restaurant here in Stockholm, Sweden (Vassa Eggen). I'm going to the late seating tomorrow, and I am so damn excited. Been wanting to eat at his restaurant ever since I saw Bourdain eat there in the Quebec episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2HxJoCD54

A friend's eating there today and he put up this picture on Facebook...

my1wxl.jpg

Yeah, that's a pig's head with a lobster stuck in its mouth. :D

MrBig

So I forgot to proof my yeast for my pizza dough the other night. Never again.
It taste so flat and makes the dough chewy as opposed to having a nice soft crunch.

I've still been doing my pizza every other week but don't remember to take picture :(
Not that there's much to see, as I've taken to putting my topping below the cheese now

Also I'm trying my best to not look at the picture above

otake

What, sofrito is pretty common with mofongo although you were right about the garlic.

I guess you're right. My family makes it without but I've seen it with red peppers and such. I guess that's close to sofrito.

This begs the question; what do you think sofrito is?

Zyzyxxz

Yeah, that's a pig's head with a lobster stuck in its mouth. :D

The food is amazingly obscene and glutinous... which is why I want to make that holy pilgrimage to it one day.

I guess you're right. My family makes it without but I've seen it with red peppers and such. I guess that's close to sofrito.

This begs the question; what do you think sofrito is?

just a friendly FYI, I worked at Rivera before, probably the best modern Latin American restaurant in Los Angeles.

Well I like to think I know that the sofrito sauce I made at my last job was pretty authentic but elevated in that we skinned and deseeded the tomatoes and instead of ham/bacon we used scraps of Jamon Iberico that was left over from the leg we used for slicing. Along with onions, red bell peppers, cilantro, achiote paste and whatnot that is what I think sofrito is.

Tinabina

Can't help you, but can you post the process to make the rice/veggies?

I don't really have an exact recipe but I will try and explain the process the best I can.

Veggies are super easy, 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan then add the veggies ( I used a bag of stir fry vegetables, an onion, mushrooms and zucchini) add about 2 tablespoons of butter, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix it around on a medium-high flame for about 10-15 mins.

I used left over white rice for the fried rice. mixed it in a bowl with grated carrots, half a cup of peas, and half an onion. 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan then add the rice mixture. let it fry up for a bit then add soy sauce, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Fry for about 5-10 mins then move to the side and scramble the eggs then mix with the rice.

ShinAmano

Cool thanks...I was pretty sure that would be the answer...just wondering if there were any particular spices used for the rice/veggies.

D-Pad

Looks amazing. Recipe, please =)

Aww... Nothing truly special in terms of ingredients compared to the other stuff in this thread. We used store brand chili seasoning packets along with four kinds of canned beans (black, kidney, white... and... can't rmember the name of it), veggie meat crumble, canned tomatoes (diced, crushed, and paste) and fresh parsley (because we needed to use it up).

The corn cake was a prepared mix too. Sorry, to disappoint. :( I did make some meatless black bean burgers the night before that, though. Found the recipe from here, and can I just say that I did not miss the meat.

Ken

What are some good foods to make as a gift for someone that are also portable (can be stored in a bag or container)? I received a cake from someone so I'd like to make them something in return, but I have no idea what.

I'm making Lamb Rogan Josh and coconut rice for dinner tomorrow for some family, and I'm trying to think of a good, east-indian inspired vegetable side dish.

I've made a tasty panko-crusted curried cauliflower dish in the oven, but it's not very colorful, and since the main dish is brown, I wanted some contrast. Conversely, I could saute some colorful veggies with some indian spices, but I don't think I want something too saucy. Does anybody have any good recipes or old standbys that they would recommend?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What are some good foods to make as a gift for someone that are also portable (can be stored in a bag or container)? I received a cake from someone so I'd like to make them something in return, but I have no idea what.

Cookies! Or you could do a soup, and put it in a thermos.

The main standbys would be cookies, squares, caramels, or a snack mix (we call them nuts and bolts, but I don't know if that's a regional thing) of pretzels, peanuts, chesse nips, some cereal etc.

Other good options are, if you have a spice blend you like to make, to make a little jar of that, or a jar of barbecue sauce or something that is homemade.

One gift I received that I liked was a jar of cookies. It was a large Mason Jar filled with pre measured amounts of flour, sugar, chocolate chips, etc. that were poured into attractive layers. On the top of the jar was a card listing the wet ingredients needed and the baking instructions. The nice thing about this is you can do it with just about any recipe you want, it looks very nice and thoughtful, and they can bake it at their leisure if they're not immediately in the mood for cookies.

Edit: Here's a nuts and bolts recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/nuts-and-bolts-party-mix/

Other edit: Alton Brown had a great recipe I tried and enjoyed for homemade spiced almonds: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-almonds-recipe/index.html

Kjellson

This is my first time posting in this thread, and also the first time making sushi. (Be nice!)

0tl4z.jpg

Anyway, it was fun making and surprisingly good. I'm definitely gonna make this more times in the future.

URU2D.jpg

Last week was just a rerun so I didn't bother, but now I'm back in the game and the next several weeks should have a steady flow.

Cheese: Cheshire Not one to melt all that well nor all that quickly it seems, pleasant enough but not a single distinguishing thing about it.

Crumble: Mediterranran Snacks Parmesan Garlic Baked Lentil Chips The garlic definitely came through on these, certainly added some oomph to the good-but-bland cheese this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom