• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at an asian restaurant and most of the time the older workers make lunch for everybody. Tomorrow they're not gonna be there so I want to cook lunch, but I'm not sure what to cook exactly... tired of Asian food so thats kinda out of the question. Do you guys suggest anything? We have pretty much anything in the walk in cooler...
carrots, snow peas, onion, green onion, cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, etc
oil, soy sauce, chicken, beef...

I work at an asian restaurant and most of the time the older workers make lunch for everybody. Tomorrow they're not gonna be there so I want to cook lunch, but I'm not sure what to cook exactly... tired of Asian food so thats kinda out of the question. Do you guys suggest anything? We have pretty much anything in the walk in cooler...
carrots, snow peas, onion, green onion, cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, etc
oil, soy sauce, chicken, beef...

How many people are you cooking for, how much prep time do you have, and what kind of ingredients/asian food does your restaurant cook?

Also what kind of equipment are you allowed to work with?

dyonPT

Chocolate Cake with 3 Chocolate

DSC00033_2.jpg

DSC00170.JPG

DSC00122_2.jpg

DSC00203.JPG

:)

How many people are you cooking for, how much prep time do you have, and what kind of ingredients/asian food does your restaurant cook?

Also what kind of equipment are you allowed to work with?

About 12 people. We have woks, pots, a grill and a fryer. I can prep for about 2 hours if it's slow. We're a pan Asian restaurant so stuff like sweet and sour, pad Thai noodles, red curry etc. can't really touch the sauces though cause they pre make it

About 12 people. We have woks, pots, a grill and a fryer. I can prep for about 2 hours if it's slow. We're a pan Asian restaurant so stuff like sweet and sour, pad Thai noodles, red curry etc. can't really touch the sauces though cause they pre make it

The last restaurant I worked in was great because they let us order whatever we wanted if we were planning on making family meal, as long as it was made a few days in advance. But anyway, since you don't have that kind of luxury, take a look around the kitchen and see what you guys need to get rid of and get creative. Usually when I was hurrying to make family, I would end up making a stir-fry of sorts but you said you wanted to stay away from anything Asian.

How about fried chicken and a salad? Both require very little prep time. Make a spiced flour mixture for your chicken and use whatever leftover veggies and make a simple dressing for the salad.

Getting ready to stir-fry some shrimp and broccoli. I was going to make a sauce out of chili-garlic paste (that "Rooster" brand stuff), shaoxing wine, and soy sauce, with maybe a little cornstarch and possibly sugar. Will that be good? I have plenty of other seasoning-type ingredients if any would help. Should I use dark soy sauce and skip the sugar? Dark mushroom soy sauce?

Hasselback potatoes tonight with some fresh cauliflower from the backyard, kale, and quick-pickled radish:

Washed down with one of my favorite beers!

Mœbius

Having a good time in pastry school. Much better experience than the first time around...
Awesome! I think my wife and I are becoming pastry fanatics. Here's our latest (following on from the carrot cake, apple tart, and cupcakes from previous posts) - lemon meringue tarts. The lemon curd was somewhat difficult to get right but it turned out perfect in the end, not too tart but not too sweet either. Meringue itself was surprisingly easy to make (it was my first attempt so I was kind of dreading it) and scrumptious!

Wife cutting out and preparing the sweet pastry we made in advance (with lemon zest infused):
jo2fZl.jpg

XJw7sl.jpg

The pastry is then put in a tin, lined with cling film or a cupcake paper holder, filled with some rice, and blind baked. When ready (and after cooling to room temperature) we filled them with the lemon curd and then back in the fridge to chill:
zMqqkl.jpg

tdq7El.jpg

Spread caster sugar over an oven tray (covered in baking parchment) and heat, but make sure it doesn't dissolve. As soon as it's removed from oven slowly add it to the egg whites (which should be briefly whisked until frothy before the sugar is added):
NVCbGl.jpg

After 15 minutes it should be shiny, firm, and cold, and ready to be applied onto the tarts. Also you can put the tarts back in the oven for a few minutes to brown the meringues as we did here (this is down to preference):
JNxaWl.jpg

Fn598l.jpg

And it's done!
R1z2Rl.jpg

2W9ybl.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Well I like to think I know that the sofrito sauce I made at my last job was pretty authentic but elevated in that we skinned and deseeded the tomatoes and instead of ham/bacon we used scraps of Jamon Iberico that was left over from the leg we used for slicing. Along with onions, red bell peppers, cilantro, achiote paste and whatnot that is what I think sofrito is.

No tomatoes in puertorrican sofrito. I guess there's no one recipe for sofrito, I'm sure the food was fantastic in Rivera but that's not what we ate in Puerto Rico. Ham was not part of sofrito either.

The way I make it is onion, green pepper, red pepper, garlic and olive oil. I'm sure dominicans do it a different way as well.

I don't know how but I missed pirateben's tart post last time I looked. Those look fantastic. Cool mixer too.

pirateben - if its not to much trouble to type out (or link to), mind sharing the recipe for those things?

Heres something for herbivore-gaf and others who are interested. I apologize for the terrible iphone pictures but I think its visible enough.
428294_10151244039480077_606125076_22799350_604115003_n.jpg

418139_10151244040530077_606125076_22799361_1680825357_n.jpg

Most people are not familiar with seitan (pronounced satan) but it is something made primary from gluten with spices, herbs and so on. Its texture is very similar to meat and is often used as a meat replacement by vegetarians/vegans. The great thing about seitan is that it enables you to be more creative with creating both texture and taste than using beans/nuts as you don't get a sort of aftertaste. The possibilities are endless.
It is also incredibly simple to make as you literally roll a dough (made from gluten flour) that you either bake, boil or steam. Just make sure the dough is not too loose or wet (like you would with baking bread).
Personally I like using it as half-cuts for sandwich. It will save you a lot of money too than buying these type of products at crazy prices from health-food or organic stores.

Mœbius

I don't know how but I missed pirateben's tart post last time I looked. Those look fantastic. Cool mixer too.

pirateben - if its not to much trouble to type out (or link to), mind sharing the recipe for those things?

Thanks! :) No problem. First there's the sweet pastry:
  • 330g plain flour
  • 100g icing sugar
  • grated zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 180g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tbsp cold water

1. Put the flour, icing sugar, lemon zest and salt in a bowl and add the butter. Rub it in with hands or mixer or processor. Mix it until all the ingredients get coarse, like breadcrumbs, with no large lumps.
2. Add the egg yolk and water and mix until dough comes together (be careful not to mix longer than necessary).
3. Remove dough from mixing bowl and put on a work surface to knead lightly for a few seconds. You just need to get it into a smooth disc shape, about 5cm thick. Wrap in cling film and chill. It will keep in the fridge for a week.

Lemon Curd:
  • 200ml lemon juice (5-6 lemons)
  • grated zest of 4 lemons
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 180g unsalted butter, cut into cubes

1. Put all ingredients into a large sauce pan, leaving out half of the butter. Place over medium heat and using a hand whisk, whisk continuously while cooking (reduce the heat if it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan).
2. Once it reaches boiling point you will notice large bubbles on the surface, when this happens whisk really fast for another minute and then remove from heat. My advice for this step is to use your sense of smell (and sight) to judge whether this has cooked properly and become like lemon curd, rather than curdled.
3. Once off the heat add the remaining butter and whisk in until melted. Pass the curd through a sieve into a plastic container. Cover the container with cling film and leave it out to reach room temperature. Then put it in the fridge and leave it to chill and firm up overnight. Will keep in fridge for 4 to 5 days.

Pre-baked tart cases
  • 40g melted unsalted butter for brushing
  • 1/4 quantity of previously made sweet pastry (to make 6 tart cases)... adjust as required
  • plain flour for dusting

1. Brush your tart tins with a thin layer of melted butter and then put the tin in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare a big, clean working space with some flour spread on it. Place the pastry in the middle and using a rolling pin roll it out thinly, turning it around as you go. Work quickly so the pastry doesn't become too warm. Once the pastry is around 3mm thick, cut out circles using a pastry cutter or the rim of a bowl. Line the buttered tins by placing the circles inside and gently pressing them into the corners and sides. Leave to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat over to 150C. Line each pastry case with either some cling film or paper muffin / cup cake cases - they should come 1cm above the edge of the pastry. Fill them up with rice and place in the over to bake for 25 minutes. They should become golden-brown in colour; if not then remove the rice and paper cases and continue baking them directly for 10 minutes, and then remove from oven.
4. Remove the tart cases from the tins while still slightly warm and leave them out to cool down completely.

Lemon Meringue:
  • 1/2 quantity of lemon curd (adjust as required based on how many tarts you're making)
  • 6 pre-baked tart cases (adjust as required)
  • 120g caster sugar
  • 2 egg whites

1. Pre-heat over to 200C. Spoon the cold lemon curd into the tart cases, filling them three-quarters fill. Leave aside in fridge.
2. For the meringue, spread sugar over an oven tray lined with baking parchment, place in oven for 5 minutes. Sugar will become very hot but shouldn't dissolve. Remove from over and reduce oven temperature to 150C.
3. In the final minute of heating the sugar (i.e. before removing it from the oven) you should prepare the egg whites in a bowl and using an electric mixer whisk them on high speed for a few seconds until they froth up. Turn the mixer speed down to slow. By now the sugar should be out of the oven, and immediately begin steadily pouring the hot sugar into the whites, all the while continuing to whisk it slowly. Once it's all in, continue whisking on high speed for 15 minutes, until it's firm, shiny, and cold.
4. Use a spoon or piping bag to dispense the meringue on top of the curd. At this point it's ready to serve or you can place it in the oven for 2-3 minutes so the meringue surface browns and harden slightly. Serve at once or chill for a day.

Ken

Made a tuna melt sandwich today. Left the bread in the oven a few seconds too long since the UPS guy dropped by while the bread was broiling.

f6d74b4b.jpg

Thanks! :) No problem. First there's the sweet pastry:
*recipe*

Amazing! Thank you for typing that out. You're awesome. I can't wait to try these out.

Made a tuna melt sandwich today. Left the bread in the oven a few seconds too long since the UPS guy dropped by while the bread was broiling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NobodyHome/f6d74b4b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh man that looks great. I ate dinner already but thats making me hungry again. And makes me realize, I've never eaten a tuna melt before.

Ken

recipe for the melt would be nice.

Looks perfect to me!

Also, this. I've been on a tuna kick lately.

Here's the recipe I used.

Ingredients

2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna in water, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 slices seedless rye bread
8 slices ripe tomato
8 slices Swiss cheese
paprika, for garnish
Directions

Preheat the oven broiler.
In a bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion, parsley, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the rye bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil 1 minute in the preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and spread with the tuna salad. Place 1 cheese slice over the tuna salad on each piece of bread, layer with a tomato slice, and top with remaining cheese slices.
Return layered bread to the preheated oven, and broil 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Oh man that looks great. I ate dinner already but thats making me hungry again. And makes me realize, I've never eaten a tuna melt before.

Give them a try; they're amazing. Lol.

thank you for sharing!

No problem. I'm still pretty much a beginner at cooking so I'm trying to change that by cooking and baking more.

MrBig

There are over a hundred bananas so I'll try all your suggestions

Just pulled these out of the oven a bit ago
IMG_0625.jpg

They taste absolutely amazing. Rosemary and parsely baked into the crust, which I started last night. Rolled into a log with moz inside, and then cut before baking. Eaten hot, of course :)

Slizz

There are over a hundred bananas so I'll try all your suggestions

Just pulled these out of the oven a bit ago
IMG_0625.jpg

They are taste absoluletely amazing. Rosemary and parsely baked into the crust, which I started last night. Rolled into a log with moz inside, and then cut before baking. Eaten hot, of course :)

Wow, I'll take an order of 4

Ken

A giant cookie:

a109a488.jpg

I think I put too much cookie dough in the pan and took it out a little too early. Was expecting something much thinner.

Wow I need to get back to pickling!

Do you have a recipe do you use for the pickling liquid?

It was my first time pickling at home so I might fiddle around with the ratios a bit, but pretty much I used a mixture of rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt (a recipe similar to what we used at ssam). For the rinds I boiled them in the brine with some star anise and ginger to make them tender and for the grapes I added yellow mustard and cinnamon.

A giant cookie:

I think I put too much cookie dough in the pan and took it out a little too early. Was expecting something much thinner.

An offhand thought: Has anybody seen how it goes if you griddle a cookie? Not necessarily a big affair like with burgers or some such, but moreso along the lines you would a pancake? It seems like it would work depending on thickness/temp...

trilobyte

Baked chicken marinated in soy sauce, rice wine, onion, ginger/garlic served with sautéed onion, red bellpepper, mushrooms in a reduced tomato sauce

6tvcbjx

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone have experience with making vegetarian sushi? I had some for the first time the other day at a restaurant but it was really bland and mediocre.

Zyzyxxz

Anyone have experience with making vegetarian sushi? I had some for the first time the other day at a restaurant but it was really bland and mediocre.

I've been interested in it as well as an effort to eat healthier (not that fish is unhealthy but good quality is expensive) as a means to be able to eat whatever I want at restaurants on weekends.

This upcoming Nobu cookbook caught my eye, although I've never really been impressed by Nobu cookbooks before this one seems a cut above the rest of the vegetarian sushi books out there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4894449056/?tag=neogaf0e-20

nobus-vegetarian-cookbook-1.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've been interested in it as well as an effort to eat healthier (not that fish is unhealthy but good quality is expensive) as a means to be able to eat whatever I want at restaurants on weekends.

This upcoming Nobu cookbook caught my eye, although I've never really been impressed by Nobu cookbooks before this one seems a cut above the rest of the vegetarian sushi books out there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4894449056/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cool, I'll check it out when it releases. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom