• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Awgvi.jpg

Red-wine reduction with pasta, chicken, and veggies. aww yeah.

did you just deglaze the pan with red wine after cooking everything together a bit?

AGINH.jpg

T'was good times this meal.

Cheese: Grana Padana (Parmesan) After all this time, I finally managed to find a package of this sort of thing. Has a nice smell to it, melts decently enough, and given the taste I can see why this one gets brought up often enough.

Crumble: Cape Cod Aged Cheddar & Sour Cream Been quite awhile since I'd had one of this sort, they did good on the cheese and such as per usual.

Askani

Spinach and artichoke stuffed mushrooms. Pan 1 of 2.

Just made them up and put them in the fridge until game time. Hopefully they turn out okay:

6ous2l.jpg

entremet

Being winter, I'm considering getting a slow cooker. Any recs? I don't have crazy counter space and I live alone, so I don't need anything huge.

Zyzyxxz

Being winter, I'm considering getting a slow cooker. Any recs? I don't have crazy counter space and I live alone, so I don't need anything huge.

You can get a small 1.5 Qt one for really cheap and you can use it for making overnight oatmeal so that in the morning you have a hot breakfast waiting for you.

Tonight's seafood pasta, a less boring surf-and-turf:

Durum wheat fusilli col buco with red wine-braised baby octopus and San Marzano tomato sauce, emulsified with seared bone marrow, topped with toasted bread crumbs

oAYlT.jpg

Apologies for the terrible photo.

oh god damn that sounds so good. Lucky you have bone marrow, I rarely find it even at specialty places.
Any butcher should be able to hook you up, and even Whole Foods usually has beef marrow bones in the freezer. However, I'd make sure to ask the guys behind the meat counter to cut the bones in half. Extracting the marrow is a lot easier that way.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Tonight's seafood pasta, a less boring surf-and-turf:

Durum wheat fusilli col buco with red wine-braised baby octopus and San Marzano tomato sauce, emulsified with seared bone marrow, topped with toasted bread crumbs

oAYlT.jpg

Apologies for the terrible photo.

Ooh, is it based on the Marea recipe? Looks and sounds great either way!

I get marrow bones from a food store nearby. Put some in my latest batch of meat sauce, although I'm not sure they made much difference.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would worship that as my lord and savior.

"A bit overcooked" indeed. Look at the pinkness, it is divine.

Ooh, is it based on the Marea recipe? Looks and sounds great either way!

I get marrow bones from a food store nearby. Put some in my latest batch of meat sauce, although I'm not sure they made much difference.

Yep, it's a Michael White recipe.

Chunks of seared bone marrow are added to the tomato sauce right before the cooked pasta is mixed in. Then as a finishing touch, some melted bone marrow fat is poured in. It's a heavy dish.

Zyzyxxz

Ugh forget you dude, I just fainted. Recipe/how you cooked such epicness?

Well I usually don't follow a recipe but a standard technique.

Sear it on a hot cast iron, give it some oven time at 400 if it's thick.

While still rare bring it back out and put some butter in the pan with garlic and herbs to brown and baste the steak. Rest as long as 20 minutes if you can in a warm place.

Looks like chunks of garlic.

Edit: I don't know why I'm answering zyzyxxz's questions for him. Sorry about that, lol.

All good, its thyme and garlic fried in butter essentially.

Does anyone know where I can find Mutton or Beef Suet in Toronto?
My local grocery doesn't sell any and i'm gonna check highland farms tomorrow but does anyone know for sure?

tri_willy

its been a while since i done some food posts here... remember nakedsushi posting some pics of japchae i believe... recently decided to make some myself seeing i never ate it or made it, turned out nice!

japchae.jpg

^-- That looks better than any jap chae I ever made! Nice job! The thing I don't like about making jap chae is the prep involved. So much washing and chopping!

Going along with the Korean theme, last week I made vegan ssam:

6810582583_78cff1e823.jpg

Usually it's pork belly or some sort of meat you wrap in the gaenip leaves, but since I wanted it vegetarian, I used king trumpet mushroom and fried tofu instead.

6810582621_ca13679cec.jpg

Then the next night, I made bibimbap with the leftover vegetables.

Razorwind

Anyone got experience making stroopwafels at home? Or how to tell if one is done well or not?

My mum loved Onkel's apple pancakes, thought I should try to make a few more European sweet stuff for her =)

MRORANGE

never knew this exisisted lol, anyway i made a cake:

So yeah decided it had been a while since I made a cake so I made one:

ANZRL.jpg

what you need for the cake base:

175g soft butter
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
3 eggs
50g dessicated coconut
2 tbsp coconut cream

you just mix these all up and put the dessicated coconut last. a food processor can do it in 3 mins. then split the mixture into two baking cake trays and put in the over at gas mark 4 for about 25 mins.

for the butter cream:

280g icing sugar
100g soft butter
3 tbsp coconut cream
raspberry jam
1 bar of white choclate

mix all the ingredients together except the raspberry jam & white chocolate and apply to the cake top and middle also add raspberry jam to the middle. as for the top of the cake grate the white chocolate on top of the cake I also added crushed hazlenuts on top.

enjoy!

9NboZ.jpg

W5OVq.jpg

Nice new bits tonight!

Cheese: Alpine Extra Cave-Aged Kaltbach Surprise surprise, folks in Switzerland wrangled yet another good cheese----melts well, grips well, tastes/smells nice---very well rounded hard cheese!

Crumble: Rutherford & Meyer Waferbites Garlicky Goodness It has been ages since I've so much as seen anything wafer/oyster cracker'ish, let alone got my hands on some to eat. These have a mild, yet unusually pleasant for of mild garlic/sour cream flavour that really finishes out nicely if you slowly chew them/melt in the mouth.

Sauce: Deep Down Soul: The Jazzy BBQ Powered by the godly powers that are smoky bacon, Blueberry Wine(My first alcohol bearing sauce---sadly that Rum based one I'd tracked down at the Jamaican grocery store ended up being one I've not been able to get my hands on again since despite checking numerous times as the tag is even gone now...missed my chance! : (), Black History Month for some reason, and somehow literally 2 different Melinda's sauces(Chipotle and Habanero)---all told it was incredibly less heat-bearing than I was concerned about, as I've never actually dealt with Habanero pepper related things, while just tasting flat out great and accompanying everything ever so nicely.

Ken

How does one work with ingredient measurements in grams if one doesn't have a scale? I know you can't really go from weight to a volume accurately, so any ideas or do I have to steal the scales from my chemistry lab?

Also, I really like the cake MRORANGE, and it's why I'm asking this since I want to try it lol. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom