• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
any oysters in the kimchi? I saw on the tv that they make kimchi in korea with raw oysters.

I didn't put any in mine. The main reason I started to make kimchi is that it's so hard to find vegetarian kim chi. Most of the good jars have shrimp, anchovy, or oysters, so I'm trying my hand on making a delicious vegetarian one.

Zyzyxxz

A salad of chicken breast, fried polenta, watercress, and a dijon mustard vinagrette.
6872957177_b8b70f2955_b.jpg

My 3rd attempt at bread, this time was my best so far, the crust wasn't too hard and the interior was moist and cooked perfectly but I've still got ways to go before I stop buying it from a bakery.
6872958453_df12587087_b.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My 3rd attempt at bread, this time was my best so far, the crust wasn't too hard and the interior was moist and cooked perfectly but I've still got ways to go before I stop buying it from a bakery.
6872958453_df12587087_b.jpg

It certainly looks very nice! I start on a month-long bread rotation at school next week, so I'd be happy to pass along any tips I pick up along the way.

Seriously BS, sorry. Everybody is free to contribute, every contribution is welcome, there hasn't been one bad / big-headed comment on any post over the five years this thread is running.

As the OP says, everything goes! :)

Don't be shy!

I've seen some negative comments in this thread before. Once I posted a pit roast and someone said it looked like dog food. I cried the rest of the night :). But for the most part everyone is pretty positive.

ChanHuk

Banned
Made some prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts with dried plum stuffing. I have to say it was quite amazing.

Gordon Ramsay makes something similar that I replicated, except he uses sausage meat and dark chicken meat, as well as regular bacon instead of prosciutto.

MrBig

Ohh that looks good. Recipe? Or did you just wing it?

The spaghetti braid bread was floating around reddit a while ago. I used this bread recipe and then made the braid based off pictures people posted

I just used jarred sauce and frozen meatballs though. Topped with moz inside, and then herb-buttered the top and topped that with Parmesan, Romano, and Rosemary

Zyzyxxz

So I tried that frozen steak method I saw in the steak cooking thread.

recipe here: http://www.thekitchn.com/for-the-perfect-steak-first-freeze-it-solid-then-cook-for-an-hour-165793

I was a bit skeptical as freezing steaks would potentially compromise flavor, juiciness, texture so I bought some relatively cheap steak ($6 per pound).

If you try this, try seasoning before you freeze your steak because I was stupid and did not do that.
6878841661_f051796dc7_z.jpg

Sear on a blazing hot pan or if you have a propane blowtorch that would be better (which I will try next time).
6878847809_0089baf1ae_z.jpg

So I gave it a beautiful, dark crust. Typically one would think that the edges would be severely overcooked right?
6878853143_9fd5e20de6_z.jpg

The sear did not penetrate too far and the interior came out very nice. The only problem was that I had to leave the steak unattended for too long due to having to run a phone errand for way longer than I would ever want to so the steak overcooked a bit.
6878856985_2d03cc9478_z.jpg

Would I try again? Probably yes but that's only because my sous vide setup is not working at the moment. In case you are wondering those are fried polenta squares (leftovers from my earlier posts).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I gotta be frank and say this looks strange (it resembles oatmeal, but I assume it isn't of course), so I've gotta ask--what is mangu and from where does it originate? I'm not familiar with the dish.

Mangu is a Dominican dish. It's basically mashed potatoes, but instead of potatoes you use plantains.

Zyzyxxz

Don't buy that De Buyer from Williams Sonoma if it's a 8 inch because that is way too pricey. I got mine from Cost Plus World Market for less than $30 if they still carry it otherwise check Amazon. I used them all the time at my old job cooking fish so yes it will cook eggs but it's still a bitch at times, you have to let it sear before it releases itself. Basically if you want to cook omelettes nonstick is still the way to go. If you are worried about health hazards try ceramic cookware.

It's (high) carbon steel. What most woks are made of. Dunno what the advantages over cast iron might be other than being lighter.

The difference is that it is still steel so it will never become as well seasoned as a old heavy cast iron and it doesn't retain heat as well but it definitely beats aluminium and does season to some degree.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not buying it there...just linked it there because it had nice pictures and description. Getting the 10 incher locally for $50. That's the best I can do in Canada, sadly.

ameratsu

^ I paid $57 for a 9.5 inch DeBuyer carbon steel pan from sears canada so that's not too bad. No where local to me sells them, unfortunately. You will love the pan.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, hopefully. I got the idea because out of all the omelette videos on YouTube I can find that don't use non-stick, they seem to be using seasoned steel. The first one I saw was this Gordon Ramsay video. I'm pretty sure he's actually using a Du Buyer in that video. Proof enough for me that it can be properly non-stick with seasoning.

And well, if it doesn't work out well enough then I'll just have to keep a non-stick pan around for omelettes. I'm sure I'll get good use out of it anwyays...looks like an awesome pan for fish, especially.

Yeah, hopefully. I got the idea because out of all the omelette videos on YouTube I can find that don't use non-stick, they seem to be using seasoned steel. The first one I saw was this Gordon Ramsay video. I'm pretty sure he's actually using a Du Buyer in that video. Proof enough for me that it can be properly non-stick with seasoning.

That's a nice looking pan. Would you care to tell a fellow canuck where you are picking yours up?

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I usually don't follow a recipe but a standard technique.

Sear it on a hot cast iron, give it some oven time at 400 if it's thick.

While still rare bring it back out and put some butter in the pan with garlic and herbs to brown and baste the steak. Rest as long as 20 minutes if you can in a warm place.

I think that butter basting step is what I'm really missing when cooking my steaks.

Also, what oil do you use for searing your steak? I love doing it on cast iron, but my oil smokes like crazy.

Zyzyxxz

I think that butter basting step is what I'm really missing when cooking my steaks.

Also, what oil do you use for searing your steak? I love doing it on cast iron, but my oil smokes like crazy.

If you want the least amount of smoke use safflower oil but I normally use canola because it's cheap and versatile. If you can render some beef fat sometimes the butcher may give it to you for free. Sear it in that fat for a nice beefy flavor.

D-Pad

Great stuff guys. Man that lasagna looks good. My ma and I made some veggie lasagna last week, a first for us as well. Looked just like that (of course we used store bought noodle, so ours probably didn't taste as good :p ).

No one wanted to go to the store tonight so I scraped together some things I had sitting around and made, dubbed by me, Cheddar-O Potato Cakes.

Onion, green peppers, and peas get combined in a bowl with shredded potatoes, cheddar cheese, cream of celery soup, and an egg (along with salt and pepper). Breadcrumbs are added until they're sticky and then they are fried in a bit of oil until golden brown.

The outside is crispy and the inside is nice and creamy.

It was really good.

Edit - sorry for the picture size... I don't know how to shrink them on this host...

_Isaac

So I just made some easy over eggs for the first time. Actually, it was the first time I've ever had easy over eggs. My parents never made them, and I never made them because the runny yolk sounded gross. Anyway, they were delicious, but I have a stupid question. Isn't it dangerous to be eating the raw yolk or does the yolk have to be partly cooked for it to be safe?

Zyzyxxz

So I just made some easy over eggs for the first time. Actually, it was the first time I've ever had easy over eggs. My parents never made them, and I never made them because the runny yolk sounded gross. Anyway, they were delicious, but I have a stupid question. Isn't it dangerous to be eating the raw yolk or does the yolk have to be partly cooked for it to be safe?

Depends on where you get your eggs from, if its a general store there may be a higher risk to say organic/free range but event those carry a miniscule risk.

When you cook them over easy the yolk does get a little hot though so your chances are much lower but not 100% safe.

To be honest I've never gotten sick from runny eggs and I've eaten plenty of raw yolks from Japanese restaurants.

thespot84

Depends on where you get your eggs from, if its a general store there may be a higher risk to say organic/free range but event those carry a miniscule risk.

When you cook them over easy the yolk does get a little hot though so your chances are much lower but not 100% safe.

To be honest I've never gotten sick from runny eggs and I've eaten plenty of raw yolks from Japanese restaurants.

I read somewhere that something like 1 out of 20,000 eggs has salmonella, so the chance of.ever encounting one in your lifetime is slim to none.

ameratsu

Pork shoulder was on sale, so i bought some to make pulled pork tacos.

after simmering for 3.5 hours, ready to go into the oven

mLrVZ.jpg

after baking for 15 mins

j5Ma2.jpg

tacos with fresh salsa

PnqGL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom