• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Been a long time since I made steak, but this seemed easy enough. Freeze, sear one side, then bake, it turned out great. Properly rare. :D

wtf freezing and searing? Hmm in theory sounds like it might work and I like the idea of the low temperature oven since Heston Blumenthal has said low temperature roasting prevents juices from flowing out in the oven.

Might have to give that a try but with cheaper steak.

(Boneless Rib Eye) Steak night! I tried some new techniques in preparing the steak this time: I let it rest outside of the fridge for about an hour before cooking--all while generously covered in kosher salt to get some of the water out of the steak. Afterwards, I washed the steak off and put a little more salt and a good helping of black peppercorn on it. For my tastes, the salt after the wash wasn't necessary. It was plenty salty...almost too much for me. Maybe that was just due to the size of the steak, though. It was quite large, and a smaller steak wouldn't have worn me out on the salt as much.

Despite that, it was grilled to my liking (Rare) and d(at grill mark)eliciously tender. My god. Mmm Mmm. I'm getting really good at this steak thing.

steakandbeer1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
wonderful dessert, DyonPT! thanks for sharing. recipe would be nice, Mousse au chocolat is a often asked for dish.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
wtf freezing and searing? Hmm in theory sounds like it might work and I like the idea of the low temperature oven since Heston Blumenthal has said low temperature roasting prevents juices from flowing out in the oven.

Might have to give that a try but with cheaper steak.

Yeah, it sounds really weird, but I have an insane amount of respect for Modernist Cuisine, without even reading it, and Nathan Myhrvold, so I'd be willing to give it a try (when I gen an oven).

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Chili prep:

yXzZ3.jpg

2 Jalapenos, 1 Habanero, 2 Ancho and 2 Chipotle.

Pic of finished dish coming momentarily.

edit: also pictued, new knife.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Making chili to take to work for lunch this week, but cant decide if I want it meaty or vegetarian. I feel like since I'll be eating it 3+days this week I shouldn't put in meat in it.
But on the other hand, pork chili ya'll.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just made some mangu from here and it seems just a tad bit bland. Any suggestions?

Edit: I added some milk and garlic powder (too lazy atm to use fresh, lol) and it tastes pretty damn great. I like the red onions in vinegar too. (I didn't have fruit vinegar so I used red wine instead.)

I'll post a pic in a bit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
In the first step of your recipe, do I need to mash the berries first to get that jam? Or do I just throw them in the pot and turn on the heat, and they'll turn to jam without needing to add any kind of liquid?

The berries will break down significantly on their own with exposure to heat and release quite a bit of liquid in the process; aside from adding some additional sweetness, the sugar helps keeps the fiber somewhat intact so it doesn't turn to complete mush. You'll want to stir it occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning.

Ken

The berries will break down significantly on their own with exposure to heat and release quite a bit of liquid in the process; aside from adding some additional sweetness, the sugar helps keeps the fiber somewhat intact so it doesn't turn to complete mush. You'll want to stir it occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning.

Alright, thanks.

Do you guys measure out grams using scales? I don't have a scale so how would I go about trying to measure out the ingredients in grams?

6810582621_ca13679cec.jpg

Then the next night, I made bibimbap with the leftover vegetables.
Argh, you're killing me and my wife here, we skipped dinner and seeing this has made my head spin. Damn, I should make some kimchi fried rice...

Blizniak said:
Oh man, these look awesome. We have our own version of this based off of the ones made at Pai Men Miyake here in Portland, Maine (sauteed/broiled marinated tofu and then a spicy gochuchang mayo), but the bun is the one thing we're missing. This is going to be next weekend's project, thanks :).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Do you guys measure out grams using scales? I don't have a scale so how would I go about trying to measure out the ingredients in grams?

Scales are used commonly for dry ingredients in baking because weight is more accurate than volume; it's also less confusing than trying to properly convert a recipe from metric (as you'll see below). Scales aren't exactly household items in the US, but it's handy to have one around.

Here's a US-friendly conversion for dyon's recipe:

Mousse
1 lb (or 3 cups) of frozen Berries
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 lemon peel
7 oz / 1 cup+ of chocolate
7 fl oz of fresh cream
3 egg whites

Almond Praline
Roughly 1/2 cup of crushed or chopped almonds
A little less than 1/2 a cup of sugar
1 tbsp butter

Bowl of chili with some grated cheddar, lime and butter milk (for lack of sour cream).

4wIicl.jpg

That looks yummy. I just made chili myself :p

What's great about chili is that it's pretty much hard to go wrong making it. It was the first time I made it, too. So. so sososos so good.

My ingredients (in order of throwing them in):

1 large onion
1 cup ground chicken
2 large cloves garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt

sweat them!

6 mins later.. toss in EVERYTHING ELSE

1/2 cup homemade tomato sauce
1 normal sized can diced tomatoes with juices

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground hot pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
A dash of chili oil
3/4 teaspoon oregano

1 red bell pepper
1 normal sized can red kidney beans

After simmering this baby for about 30 mins I had a really good time. Had mine with grated cheddar, too! And pickled jalapeno rings.

Ken

Scales are used commonly for dry ingredients in baking because weight is more accurate than volume; it's also less confusing than trying to properly convert a recipe from metric (as you'll see below). Scales aren't exactly household items in the US, but it's handy to have one around.

Here's a US-friendly conversion for dyon's recipe:

Mousse
1 lb (or 3 cups) of frozen Berries
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 lemon peel
7 oz / 1 cup+ of chocolate
7 fl oz of fresh cream
3 egg whites

Almond Praline
Roughly 1/2 cup of crushed or chopped almonds
A little less than 1/2 a cup of sugar
1 tbsp butter

Thank you very much for this. :D

thespot84

Alright i'm seeking all of your expert advice for a pickle I'm in.

I was just invited to a potluck on valentine's day. The theme for the potluck is 'hearts and babies.

The hosts and I share a dark sense of humor and they in particular have a dislike of the idea of children (one works in pregnancy prevention and the other is a 1st grade teacher).

I'm looking for something that:

a) is relatively quick. I will have a few hours tomorrow night to prepare it.
b) can be stored for a day, it'll have to sit from approximately midnight tomorrow until the actual dinner at 7 on tuesday.
c) is possibly depraved (my first thought was Daal served in Naan shaped like a diaper, to give you an idea)
d) is delicious.

You guys have done a fantastic job of making your food look pretty, so let's see how bad you can make it! Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Veggie Chili Cook-Off was a success!
1owtP.jpg

eLisN.jpg

Not pictured was the bhutanese red rice we served with it also. Great meal. Have lots of leftovers for lunch this week.

thespot84

posting for new page:

Alright i'm seeking all of your expert advice for a pickle I'm in.

I was just invited to a potluck on valentine's day. The theme for the potluck is 'hearts and babies.

The hosts and I share a dark sense of humor and they in particular have a dislike of the idea of children (one works in pregnancy prevention and the other is a 1st grade teacher).

I'm looking for something that:

a) is relatively quick. I will have a few hours tomorrow night to prepare it.
b) can be stored for a day, it'll have to sit from approximately midnight tomorrow until the actual dinner at 7 on tuesday.
c) is possibly depraved (my first thought was Daal served in Naan shaped like a diaper, to give you an idea)
d) is delicious.

You guys have done a fantastic job of making your food look pretty, so let's see how bad you can make it! Thanks in advance.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's relatively easy.

Take the wonderful Mousse au Chocolate recipe that DyonPT posted on the previous page,

wrap the bowl inside a fresh genuine diaper.

Izick

Things I've surmised about IronGaf

-They all can make beautiful looking (and I'll go out on a limb and say tasting as well) meals

-They all have really expensive cameras

-They all have degrees in photography

Love the presentation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, its certainly intimidating. We almost need an amateur thread. Or at least amateur tuesdays full of cellphone pics.

_Isaac

-They all can make beautiful looking (and I'll go out on a limb and say tasting as well) meals

Love the presentation.

Seriously.

Triple Nickel

Neo Member
Hey cooking gaf I have a question

I recently learned how to cook chow mein and stir fry and some other Asian dishes, but I'm not sure exactly what type of sauce to use on the noodles?

So do you recommend/or use any certain sauces when you cook noodles? or do you make your own sauce?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Love the presentation.

Yeah, its certainly intimidating. We almost need an amateur thread. Or at least amateur tuesdays full of cellphone pics.

Seriously.

Seriously BS, sorry. Everybody is free to contribute, every contribution is welcome, there hasn't been one bad / big-headed comment on any post over the five years this thread is running.

As the OP says, everything goes! :)

Don't be shy!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously BS, sorry. Everybody is free to contribute, every contribution is welcome, there hasn't been one bad / big-headed comment on any post over the five years this thread is running.

As the OP says, everything goes! :)

Don't be shy!
No no, of course cooking gaf is incredibly humble and accepting.I feel almost feel disrespectful for implying they aren't. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. In fact, onkel some recipes from you have definitely scored me lady points. But even still, maybe it just means I'm insecure but it IS intimidating seeing 500$ a plate quality meals when you're proud of your quesadillas. But such is life.

Theres a reason why Ratatouille is my favorite film. Anyone can cook.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
No no, of course cooking gaf is incredibly humble and accepting.I feel almost feel disrespectful for implying they aren't. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. In fact, onkel some recipes from you have definitely scored me lady points. But even still, maybe it just means I'm insecure but it IS intimidating seeing 500$ a plate quality meals when you're proud of your quesadillas. But such is life.

I feel like I've just been scolded. D:

Didn't mean to be rude. Just share your dishes, you (and everybody else) are welcome to share :)

Zyzyxxz

You have any tips/recommended books for where you picked up the techniques, or is it just through experience and experimentation? Sorry, I'm a newb :p

I haven't personally read it but try Think Like a Chef by Tom Colichio
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307406954/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What I know is what I've gained by learning basic French techniques from Julia Child's volume 1 and what I've learned from my previous cooking jobs.

Food may be sustenance but I believe it to be so much more because if it was merely something to keep us going then why have we bothered with French Technique, Asian styles, so many types of knives, pans, pots? Like any skill this can be a craft or a hobby, if you wish to pursue it for the sake of bettering your own skills we welcome you to try but if you are happy where you are at then there is no shame. Even though I've had amazing flavors of foie gras and truffle I still get down on a Frito Pie, it's nice to appreciate the finer things in life but one can tire of such "frou frou".

Let the quesadillas flow I say!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

Love the presentation.

I try my best to lower the standards of photography in the thread!

I represent those that don't even have a proper camera pretty solidly on here even if my "range" is not great, haha!

IronGAF is all about variety from all places, there's a reason why this thread has lasted so long and must always exist in the future.

^-- Looks fantastic! I guess that whipped cream is trying to balance out the healthiness of oatmeal? Haha. So after you refrigerate your batch and then scoop it out the next morning, do you microwave it? Or do you have it cold?

I made kimchi this weekend. I'll give it a few days of fermentation before I taste it because I like my kimchi on the sour side.

cabbage and radish kimchi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom