• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty anti-valentines day so it was a complete surprise to me when I came home the day after and saw that my husband had come home early to prepare this:

6890008753_179e57f6a9.jpg

Arancini on a spicy salad mix with tomato sauce. He even bought me stinky cheese!

^ That looks amazing. And I'm so hungry for breakfast right now.

Oh man is that mushrooms on the bottom one? I love mushrooms. Especially the PA Dutch kind.

Something along the rocker lines would definitely make better work of a deep dish and any of the harder crust pizzas out there----rollers only seem to work well for just straight middle ground pizzas Rockers can also get things done fairly quickly if all goes well, and strike me as being easier to clean even if tremendously bulkier to store.

All I have is an old pizza cutter and some dull steak knives to contend with all... : (

IaHZd.jpg

But dinner was good tonight!

Cheese: Rocinante Cabra Pimento 100% Goat Cheese It melts slowly, but decently I guess, has an especially nice smell once things finally start happening with it, and an oddly...creamy...taste that goes down pretty smooth. I was half suspecting some sort of spice element to be at play, but nope, nada.

Crumble: Lay's Kettle Cooked Natural Spicy Cayenne & Cheese This on the other hand definitely had the kick to it you'd suspect, as much of a kick as cayenne generally runs for anyhow unless you are just going overboard with it---paired nicely with the cheese and all combined smelled pretty ace.

My first attempt at a cast iron skillet pizza.

I can dig it---this is something we've been meaning to get around to trying with our wheat dough instead of just the usual pizza pan treatment.

What was your experience like? Pan buttered or some such? How the inside turn out? Can you just just the same temp as you would for cooking one up as per usual?

Picked up some duck legs a couple of days ago but I don't know what to do with them. Will probably roast them but wanted to know if anyone had some good recipes that would also allow me to save the duck fat for use in another meal.

Ecrofirt

Picked up some duck legs a couple of days ago but I don't know what to do with them. Will probably roast them but wanted to know if anyone had some good recipes that would also allow me to save the duck fat for use in another meal.

Alton Brown has a recipe where he steams the duck first to get the fat out before he roasts it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Saw a 25 year old well seasoned De Buyer carbon steel pan today. Holy shit. Awesome.

I really wish it came in 29cm. Can't decide in between 28cm and 30cm.

Zyzyxxz

Whats wrong with the teflon coating? Are the reports about them actually being harmful/unhealthy true?
Weird that they would still sell them, no?

If you get it hot enough they release toxic vapors so used correctly it shouldn't pose much of a health risk but don't quote me on that.

^ That looks amazing. And I'm so hungry for breakfast right now.

Oh man is that mushrooms on the bottom one? I love mushrooms. Especially the PA Dutch kind.

YEP! :D I had a mix of shiitake, Italian brown and giant oyster mushrooms - definitely needed ham or bacon though. It was just missing that extra something.

Got a weird question but i thought someone here would know.

I love Foie Gras ok - when i go to supermarkets it seems Foie Gras is more like a spread - i.e. you spread it on crackers etc. if you try and cook it it just melts.

Where can you get the Foie Gras that you get at restaurants - like on top of steaks or whatever. Where can you get this from?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

I love Foie Gras ok - when i go to supermarkets it seems Foie Gras is more like a spread - i.e. you spread it on crackers etc. if you try and cook it it just melts.

Where can you get the Foie Gras that you get at restaurants - like on top of steaks or whatever. Where can you get this from?

i'd ask at the restaurant where you liked it. Most chefs will be nice and share their source with you or provide you with a contact.

Xeke

Banned
I can dig it---this is something we've been meaning to get around to trying with our wheat dough instead of just the usual pizza pan treatment.

What was your experience like? Pan buttered or some such? How the inside turn out? Can you just just the same temp as you would for cooking one up as per usual?

Nothing on the pan except maybe a little flour from the dough. The inside turned out great but I was low on cheese so it wasn't as cheesy as I normally like. I had my oven at 450 but I also started it off on the stove burner to get the bottom crust cooking before it went in the oven.

Gonna make some more dough today and take another shot at it tomorrow.

Zyzyxxz

order online from here: http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/index.html

Xeke

Banned
I am loving my investment into my cast iron skillet. Made some stirfry tonight. Nothing top notch or anything but I am very happy with how it turned out vs my stainless steel pan. Sorry for the crappy photos.

Ba5oh.jpg

ILwxp.jpg

The more I cook the more I love trying new stuff. Thanks to this thread cooking is quickly become one of my favorite hobbies. I enjoy the prep and cooking as much as eating it!

Thanks to OnckelC. Food is much more satisfying when you make it yourself.

Nezumi

After a long time of lurking in this thread, finally my first post :)

Tried making Pad Thai for the first time yesterday and it turned out pretty good. Could have soaked the noodles just for a few minutes longer.

My store didn't have any sprouts and I forgot to buy spring onions so I had to do with broccoli and normal onions.

IMG_20120219_162157.jpg

(Sorry for crappy cellphone pic)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
xeke, bangladesh and Nezumi, welcome to the thread and thanks for sharing. Recipes (bangladesh and Nezumi) would be nice as well.

And no need to apologize for pictures. practice makes perfect as well. just check out the humble beginnings of my own pics by checking the home-style threads linked in the OP.

TKR92

tnw and bovo, thank you for your contributions. Keep'em coming!

Concerning the Japanese ney years dishes and beverage, I read about regular casualties after the consumption of mochi in the newspaper the other day, are they really that dangerous/sticky?

For the Magazine/pdf, fellow GAFfer Hyoushi has been so kind to compress it a bit. He hosted it here:

http://www.capitaltrachea.se/gaf/FFT_Vol1_01.pdf

Thanks Hyo!

Thank you, guys.

I do not contribute this thread as much as I want. But really enjoy what you guys are making.
Keep up the good work :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Whats wrong with the teflon coating? Are the reports about them actually being harmful/unhealthy true?
Weird that they would still sell them, no?

Don't know, to be honest. I just like the charm and feel of cooking with iron or stainless steel. I like the fact that I can let it warm up for a while without burning the pan, and I like the fact that they retain heat well.

Xeke

Banned
This cast iron skillet is the best investment I've made. In three days I've already made a pan pizza, stirfry and baked breaded chicken in it!

Yup. Although I can never seem to get the bottom of the cornbread to not stick.

I've never made cornbread before, but what my husband does is sautee diced jalapenos in some oil at the bottom of the pan, then just put the batter straight in while the oil is hot and stick the whole thing in the oven. I think the hot oil makes the bottom crisp up and release from the pan easily. Just flip it over when it's done.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've never made cornbread before, but what my husband does is sautee diced jalapenos in some oil at the bottom of the pan, then just put the batter straight in while the oil is hot and stick the whole thing in the oven. I think the hot oil makes the bottom crisp up and release from the pan easily. Just flip it over when it's done.

The jalapenos are an interesting idea, I'll give it a shot next time I make cornbread. I assume he uses fresh?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any danger to a stainless steel pan...melting?

I accidentally left a dry Emeril stainless steel pan on the stove top on high heat (7/10) and only noticed it once it started smoking. I saw a black, melted liquid running near the seam/edge where the side of the pan meets the bottom, so I pulled it off immediately and let it cool before resuming cooking.

Now I'm kinda worried some of that liquid ended up in my food when I was moving the pan around over plates (I should've cleaned it off before continuing...), or that the fumes could've been toxic. I've read some stuff online about the aluminum bottom or solder on these specific pans melting at higher temperatures.

My roommate thinks the smoke and black stuff is just built-up grease on the pan and stove top and I'm being paranoid. Should I be worried at all?

UrokeJoe

This cast iron skillet is the best investment I've made. In three days I've already made a pan pizza, stirfry and baked breaded chicken in it!

They only get better and better..

My two work horses.

When done, I wash with hot water, brisk brush-kosher salt, oil and put away.

Dinner tonight.

Crappy quick pics. Everyone needs cast iron in their kitchen.

thespot84

Forgot to take pictures, but we made garlic bread (about 6 cloves for a full baguette along with 1/2 stick of butter), penne with a tomato, garlic, olive oil and white wine (sav. blanc) and shrimp, mussles. easy but damned tasty. We just kinda winged it with the recipe and it was great.

Nezumi

xeke, bangladesh and Nezumi, welcome to the thread and thanks for sharing. Recipes (bangladesh and Nezumi) would be nice as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome. As for the Pad Thai recipe I User this : http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/pad-thai as a reference. Since I did not have all the ingredients I improvised. I used soysauce instead of fishsauce and put in some sriracha (because everthing tastes better with sriracha). And I think I used at least the double amount of spices, because I did not soaked the noodles long enough and had to put in quite a lot of extra water in the wok which thinned out the spices I allready put in. Maybe that wouldn't habe been necessary if I had waited with the spices until the noodles had the right softness. As I said it was my first try cooking Pad Thai I guess next time will be even better.

joe2187

Banned
Reminds me of beignets.

Made spanish rice and Chile Colorado last night. Made about a two gallons worth and my family eats it all before the night is through.

001-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom