• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally started getting steak right with my immersion circulator, here I cooked the steak for 1 hour at 120F or 48.8C for you inferior countries.
6796130030_02b673b491_b.jpg

Served with roasted baby carrots, a potato pave (process here: http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-potato-pave-recipe/), and a quenelle of a potato puree (or in layman's terms a football shaped mash potato. After taking steak out of water bath it was rubbed in coffee, salt, pepper and seared in it's own fat.

Looks wonderful. What's the point of rubbing it in coffee? Brewed coffee, or just the grounds?

Zyzyxxz

Looks wonderful. What's the point of rubbing it in coffee? Brewed coffee, or just the grounds?

It was for a Reddit weekly cooking challenge I've seen it used on lamb before so I figured I'd give it a try with steak. It was just Folgers instant mix LOL, yeah I know but it worked well in a bitter way.

GiJoccin

It was for a Reddit weekly cooking challenge I've seen it used on lamb before so I figured I'd give it a try with steak. It was just Folgers instant mix LOL, yeah I know but it worked well in a bitter way.

what did you think of the pave recipe? it didn't come out so hot for me when I did it...

Zyzyxxz

6947303427_d24a68fcbd_b.jpg

Pork belly braised in dashi, soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar and konbe then cooled down to brown it. Over a leftover mashed potato I had in the fridge with some roasted baby carrots. Reduced the sauce a bit with a little cornstarch slurry.

what did you think of the pave recipe? it didn't come out so hot for me when I did it...

To be honest it is a lot of work for so little reward, a potato gratin is much simpler to make and wastes much less potato and is just as satisfying. It was my second time making one and this time I worked smarter but I wouldn't make it again unless I wanted to impress someone that much.

After a shit week, tonight I at least ate well!

2SqWn.jpg

Cheese: Sierra Nevada Bella Capra Capra Bianca Aged Goat Cheese It looks like a solid block, but in reality it is quite brittle/crumbly once you get in there at it. Melts in place in fine fashion and tastes rather nice, as it almost a given for any goat cheese it seems sometimes.

Crumble: Lay's Kettle Cooked Natural Creamy Mediterranean Herb Given my new meat, this herbacious chip that lacked any heat of any kind ended up being an unintentionally solid pairing. I think this was the last of the New Lay's something something that I recall seeing, though this is certainly better than the old days where they didn't have a Kettle or Natural anything.

MEAT: Volpi Romano Salame Joyously, a meat with some actual heat to it due to being encrusted with a ridiculous amount of various sorts of pepper---not extreme on the oil either unlike my last accompaniment. It was also nice to have no need to remove the casing, as this has it packed with seasoning flavour. Granted, I do OK with the mild ones, but when you've been jumping back and forth from one company's Mild time and again, a kick is reeeaaallly nice.

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz, you need to open your own restaurant. Wow.

How are you roasting those carrots?

I usually just toss them in salt, pepper, oil and put them in the oven 350-400.

The restaurant thing I'm not sure if it will ever happen. It'd be nice but I'm not ready for it, maybe if I make a good amount of money in a couple years and I get some more experience.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You can eat Jamaica Hibiscus flowers, right? I have a recipe that call for the dried version of them, and I just wanted to be sure. The thought of eating flowers is a bit weird haha.

Zyzyxxz

You can eat Jamaica Hibiscus flowers, right? I have a recipe that call for the dried version of them, and I just wanted to be sure. The thought of eating flowers is a bit weird haha.

You can make the drink jamaica (ha-mai-ke, not the country) with it. I don't know about eating it though.

I'm pretty sure they're edible. Like Zyzyxxz said, you can brew them in some hot water, some sugar, pour over ice and have a pretty refreshing, tart drink. I've had the dried flowers before in snack form and it tasted kind of like a more natural gummy fruit. I prefer the drink.

Zyzyxxz how did your kim chi turn out? I used way too much salt so mine didn't get sour enough, but it tastes pretty good as kimchi jjigae and kim chi pancakes, haha.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You can make the drink jamaica (ha-mai-ke, not the country) with it. I don't know about eating it though.

I'm pretty sure they're edible. Like Zyzyxxz said, you can brew them in some hot water, some sugar, pour over ice and have a pretty refreshing, tart drink. I've had the dried flowers before in snack form and it tasted kind of like a more natural gummy fruit. I prefer the drink.

Here is the recipe for anyone who is curious. I'll go ahead and make it in a few days, and I'll be sure to make a post here before I do. That way, if I never post again, everyone will know that it's because I died eating poisonous flowers.

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz how did your kim chi turn out? I used way too much salt so mine didn't get sour enough, but it tastes pretty good as kimchi jjigae and kim chi pancakes, haha.

I actually didn't get around to making it yet, decided to make preserved meyer lemons first.

Esch

Banned
anyone ever made juicy lucies before? I'm gonna give it a try next week and im wondering what cheese and fat% in terms of beef i should get

jucylucy.jpg

mmmmmmmmm

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Is that a patty filled with cheese? I'd use the same ground beef as for regular burgers personally. Cheese: American, cheddar or Provolone. Blue cheese could be nice as well, but I fear that it won't get hot enough to loosen the sharp notes.

Askani

America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country did an episode of this. You might be able to find it online.

Anyway, yes...normal fat content meat for burgers. Any cheese should be good though. I've done American, Mozzarella, Pepperjack, etc...and they've all come out fine. Just go with whatever cheese makes you happy.

EDIT:::::

Requires registration for the video. Also, it appear it's more of a "meatloaf" type patty:
http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Jucy-Lucy-Burgers/8586/?incode=M00KSCR00&persist=11

OnkelC said:
Is that a patty filled with cheese? I'd use the same ground beef as for regular burgers personally. Cheese: American, cheddar or Provolone. Blue cheese could be nice as well, but I fear that it won't get hot enough to loosen the sharp notes.

Yes. Also, blue cheese stuffed burgers are a regular thing around here. I can't speak to the taste because I'm not really a fan of blue cheese, but they are popular.

Had some fun last night trying out this recipe with friends: heart-attack brownies

Turned out rather well actually. As expected it was sweet so for those who don't have that much of a sweet tooth, it'll probably overly so.

c7a7fce5.jpg

(the round imprints are actually the Oreos)

abfd2f10.jpg

(inside to see the layers)

TheExodu5

Banned
anyone ever made juicy lucies before? I'm gonna give it a try next week and im wondering what cheese and fat% in terms of beef i should get

jucylucy.jpg

mmmmmmmmm

For hamurgers? I buy nothing but medium ground beef. Lean or extra lean result in a dry and tasteless burger. You can probably get something a bit more fatty from a butcher...not too sure about the percentages.

MrBig

http://frugalchristianliving.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/jucylucy.jpg[IMG]

mmmmmmmmm[/QUOTE]

I've done something like this. Rolled out some ground beef like dough, layered mozzarella on top, and then rolled it into a log and sliced it into patties.
It was manageable since I did it in a skillet, but if you're grilling it you would probably need string to hold the patties together.

Zoe

They showed how they were made on Man v Food. Of course they didn't give the recipe, but the places basically just put the cheese between two patties and pinched them together.

I usually just toss them in salt, pepper, oil and put them in the oven 350-400.

The restaurant thing I'm not sure if it will ever happen. It'd be nice but I'm not ready for it, maybe if I make a good amount of money in a couple years and I get some more experience.

How long do you cook the carrots? I have roasted carrots before using the same ingredients and they don't come out looking like that. Perhaps I need to start using baby carrots instead of the regular size?

Zyzyxxz

How long do you cook the carrots? I have roasted carrots before using the same ingredients and they don't come out looking like that. Perhaps I need to start using baby carrots instead of the regular size?
Maybe because I used a little butter to which tends to brown more easily.

thespot84

Nope, it was all my own equipment. Some I'd had for a few years, some of it was just a couple months old.

odd question but do you have a renters or homeowners insurance policy? if you're deductible isn't crazy you might consider claiming them (if they were worth enough)

Bit-Bit

Guys, I'm looking for some healthy, low in fat, hamburger recipes. I love hamburgers, but ordering them at the fast food chains is just too unhealthy. I've decided to start making my own. Any tips and advice on what kind of beef to get?

I've got a George Foreman, fyi.

cryptic

Anyone have any experience smoking meats?

I'm trying to buy a smoker but don't want to spend too much. I came across a decently priced cookshack. I know, it's electric, but I don't really have too much to spend and it seems decent enough.

Should I go for it or save for something more traditional? Thanks.

Guys, I'm looking for some healthy, low in fat, hamburger recipes. I love hamburgers, but ordering them at the fast food chains is just too unhealthy. I've decided to start making my own. Any tips and advice on what kind of beef to get?

I've got a George Foreman, fyi.

Have you tried buffalo/bison? That's low-fat and supposed to be more healthful than beef as to the fats is does have.

As far as low-fat beef burgers go, I guess you just want to buy 90% or 93% lean ground beef, or ground sirloin if buying it that way. None of that makes a very good hamburger, though; you really need to start with a fair amount of fat for that.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yeah, screw the low fat! Go with a mix of beef chuck and brisket (which seems to be the go-to mix for great hamburger joints). Grind coarsely or chop finely, season with salt and pepper and grill to medium rare.

n0n44m

2012-03-0421.27.455ljn2.jpg

homemade dough, some pureed tomato sauce with garlic & oregano added

cut up some salami, ham, bacon

grinded some different pieces of cheese

perfect with some rucola salad and spicy oil on top :)

Nice pizza n0n44m!

Have you tried buffalo/bison? That's low-fat and supposed to be more healthful than beef as to the fats is does have.

As far as low-fat beef burgers go, I guess you just want to buy 90% or 93% lean ground beef, or ground sirloin if buying it that way. None of that makes a very good hamburger, though; you really need to start with a fair amount of fat for that.

I can easily recommend all things buffalo for burgers and otherwise---truly an under-used feasting venture!

Alternatively, laugh in the face of danger and embrace the flavour that is fat via Lamb burgers, mwahahaha!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
odd question but do you have a renters or homeowners insurance policy? if you're deductible isn't crazy you might consider claiming them (if they were worth enough)
That's awful! Is there any kind of security around the lockers?

I don't have any insurance, unfortunately, and the stuff wasn't especially high end or anything like that so it probably wouldn't have been worthwhile to go that route. It cost about $325 today to replace everything, which is about what I was expecting -- not that such an unexpected expense doesn't sting! More credit card debt, hooray...

Zoe: No security cameras in the hall where my locker is. The rent-a-cops the school uses figure someone just wanted something to sell for quick cash.

Serious Eats had a recipe for tonkotsu ramen broth so I decided to give it a try but modify it a bit for my taste. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...tonkotsu-ramen-broth-from-scratch-recipe.html

Turned out okay but I will tweak it.

6963229763_a465df9c86_b.jpg

OMG looks so good! I may have to rethink my not-eating pork thing after seeing this. Your egg looks kind of small though, or is your bowl just really gigantic? Have you gone to Ton-chan's Ramen on Las Tunas? It's pretty good for being a few blocks from my house, haha.

Anybody got some simple curry recipes that doesn't resort to me buying curry paste?

Do you want to make Indian curry or Japanese curry? I've never made Indian curry from scratch, but I often make Japanese curry without the paste/blocks. My method usually involves slicing a crap-load of onions and slow-cooking them till they're soft and carmelized in plenty of oil, then putting in a teaspoon of flour, stirring, and letting it brown for a roux. Then, put in some grated apple or pear for sweetness.

Then the magic ingredient:
SB_curry_powder.jpg

Then add water/broth, potatoes, carrots, and whatever else you like in your curry.

Zyzyxxz

OMG looks so good! I may have to rethink my not-eating pork thing after seeing this. Your egg looks kind of small though, or is your bowl just really gigantic? Have you gone to Ton-chan's Ramen on Las Tunas? It's pretty good for being a few blocks from my house, haha.

Thanks, the egg is actually pretty small though.

I've been to Ton-Chan a couple of times and I rather like their tsukemen but I don't frequent it as I've been spoiled by making visits to Ramen Jinya, Yamadaya, and Tsujita LA which is freaking amazing.

Anybody got some simple curry recipes that doesn't resort to me buying curry paste?

I have a complicated recipe fro making curry roux but it's more of a weekend thing, for a quick one I make French style roux using butter and flour then I add curry powder and any other aromatics and let it cook a bit and thicken until it dries up a bit. Cook it on chicken or vegetable stock with your choice of veges and meat.

I agree with the second point., and I would be strongly against half-assing it with a pure hamburger. If you want it done right, you need fat in the meat. Buffalo is also a very lean meat, and while bison burgers are better for you than moo burgers, and perfectly edible, I still find myself wishing I was eating an actual burger when I eat one.

So instead, what I would recommend is lamb-burgers. I unfortunately don't have the exact recipe, but I really enjoy these lamb burgers my parents make, and they would be relatively low-fat and relatively nutritious. When I eat these, I don't think about how much better a normal burger would be, I just think about how much I enjoy these bad boys:

The basic lamb mixture is a combination of lamb, a really generous amount of spinach, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano, as far as I recall, for a greek taste. When this stuff is all mixed together into patties, I would say you can visibly see about 30-40% of the patties are green from the spinach, to get an idea how much spinach I'm talking about. Grill them like you would normal burgers. The only really unhealthy thing about the burger (not that I mind) is that it is served with a feta aioli, but if you use the feta sparingly and perhaps a light mayonnaise, it shouldn't be that bad. Top it with spinach leaves and red onion on a multigrain bun, and you have a pretty healthy burger, at least as far as burgers go, and I absolutely love them.

Another option would possibly be a Portobello mushroom burger? I enjoy these well enough. Like I said, I'd rather change up the burger option with unique variants than try to start substituting things and hope to get something close to the real thing.

My sister is East-Indian and taught her kids a little song, that I since learned, to make good curry. I understand curry varies wildly and many would consider some of these ingredients wrongity wrong wrong wrong, but I don't care. It tastes good to me, and it allows me to easily make a consistent tasting curry whenever I want.

The song goes:

Cayenne, Cumin, Paprika, Turmeric and Coriander.

Add Garlic, Ginger, Potatoes and Meat. Now you have a curry treat.

(I usually add coconut milk as well, and a couple of vegetables. I find Peas, Carrots and Cauliflower to be tasty when curried)

I'm sure you didn't sing that right. :)

I also have this container here...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JSO76Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It makes it handy to contain all the commonly used spices in one tray for easy access and addition to the curry dish until the flavour is to my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom