• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Iron-GAF, what's a good salad to accompany some bacon-wrapped scallops?

I think you want something light and acidic to balance out the richness of bacon scallops. How about a spicy leaf like arugula? I like a simple arugula salad with a olive oil and lemon dressing and plenty of pepper and salt to taste.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
got a recipe for it?

Shit, sorry for the delay!

Here goes:

For Jalapenos:

2 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 a tablespoon each of coriander seeds, black pepper corns, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and cumin (whole)

Bring to a boil and cook until sugar and salt have dissolved. Let cool and pour over 15 sliced jalapenos.

For red onions:

1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of freshly chopped oregano

Let stand until sugar and salt have dissolved (i.e. don't heat)
Pour over 2 halved and sliced red onions (large)
Optional: add two jalapenos to the jar for a little bit of heat. Unsure whether to slice them, I did, but I think you can add them whole.

Hey gaf. I made some yakisoba for the first time a few days ago. It was defintely a success but the sauce was a bit too much like any standard japanese sauce (be it sukiyaki, teriyaki, etc.).

I remember having eaten some instant yakisoba where the sauce was really dark a thick, giving the meal a much more distinctive taste.

The one I made was made out of:
Light soyasauce
Normal soyasauce
Salt
Sugar
Mirin
and some ketchup

Anybody know of a great alternative, or what that thick yakisoba sauce consists of?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made bacon fried rice with peas and broccoli.

sjMmKl.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I need this in me...can you share the recipe? Also I think I love you.

Hehe!

Kinda made it up on the fly. So here goes

2 packages of bacon
1 cup of day old cooked rice
4 eggs
1 onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
2-3 tablespoons of ginger
1 dried thai chili (or to taste)
Ground spices (used fennel, coriander & cumin seed) - I.e. I ground them myself.
1 tablespoon of sugar
A squeeze or so of tomato paste
Fish sauce and soy sauce to taste
Rice wine
Rice wine vinegar
Frozen peas (maybe 1/2 - 1 cup)
Half a thing of broccoli
Salt & pepper to taste

Whip eggs in bowl
First I fried one package of bacon and place cooked bacon on a paper towel covered plate. Then I scrambled the eggs in the bacon fat and set aside.
Cleaned the pan and friend the second package, set aside the bacon as above, and then fried the onion, garlic, ginger and dried chili in the fat until somewhat soft. Added the ground spices and fried for 30-60 seconds. Added wine and vinegar and cooked until evaporated.
Then added the rice and seasoned with salt & pepper, soy and fish sauce, and tomato paste. Cooked the frozen peas and broccoli until almost done (overdid it a bit, stupid package instructions). Added that, and the scrambled eggs and bacon. Mix and heat.

I also squeezed some lemon juice over it to get a bit more acid.

Eat.

I think that was all I did/put in. Came out pretty good.

Zyzyxxz

My mother bought some mutton for me to cook. Didn't know what to do so I mixed them with mixture of yogurt, curry powder, oil, salt, pepper and put them in the oven. Hopefully it turns out okay.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I made some of that hibiscus stuff that I mentioned a few days ago. It was actually quite good. The hibiscus flowers were quite bitter so I had to add a little bit of sugar, but the flavor was very nice and it wasn't too sweet. It meshed well with the carrots, onions and jicama, which all together composed the filling for the enchiladas. I'll post some (crappy) pics tomorrow.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My mother bought some mutton for me to cook. Didn't know what to do so I mixed them with mixture of yogurt, curry powder, oil, salt, pepper and put them in the oven. Hopefully it turns out okay.
Probably. I mean, I guess.

I still need to get on that cauliflower pizza

n9qPx.jpg

Cheese: Super Rocinante Oveja AC Romero Melts generally OK, smells nice once it gets going, though it does seem to brown up rather fast in step. The moral of the story is, however, HOLY CRAP THE OIL IS PLENTIFUL, SWEET, AND DELICIOUS! I generally clean a plate pretty well, but this was a lick the plate clean sort of nice surprise. Paired with that peppery meat from last time, it was truly a winning combination.

Crumble: Rutherford & Meyer Waferbites The Works (Poppy Seed, Toasted Sesame, Cheddar) Pretty much the same story as the other wafer I've had from them awhile back, but being a fan of poppy seeds in general it was yet again pretty nice. Still rather mild, but in a pleasant way as opposed to a bland one.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey if I'm marinating chicken legs, should I remove the skin? I want the legs to become very tender and have flavor. I feel if the skin remains on, only the skin will get the flavor.

It is to be baked in the oven btw.

Hey if I'm marinating chicken legs, should I remove the skin? I want the legs to become very tender and have flavor. I feel if the skin remains on, only the skin will get the flavor.

It is to be baked in the oven btw.

I don't like chicken skin (shocking to some people) but I usually take the skin off. If it's marinated, it shouldn't be dry.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok I'll punch some holes into it.

I'm making salmon ceviche right now. Seems easy to do.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Here's a pic of the Hibiscus Enchilada filling:

13v7wl.jpg

Hibiscus petals, onion, carrots and jicama.

ZjiUjl.jpg

Finished product, rolled up and topped with an adobo sauce, purple cabbage and cotija cheese.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That looks amazing!

BTW my mom gave me a bar of almond paste. What can I do with it? She suggested getting some dark chocolate, fruits, melt the chocolate and mix in bits of almond paste and let it harden in the fridge afterwards. Sounds good?

Slizz

Here's a pic of the Hibiscus Enchilada filling:

13v7wl.jpg

Hibiscus petals, onion, carrots and jicama.

ZjiUjl.jpg

Finished product, rolled up and topped with an adobo sauce, purple cabbage and cotija cheese.

Wow that looks delicious.... I have hibiscus growing all around me and did not know you could eat it.

squidyj

Maybe Irongaf can help me out here. I tried my hand at making an Aioli today and while it didn`t break it turned out sort of thin and runny and I`m looking at it wondering if there`s anything I can do to thicken it up after the fact.

Zyzyxxz

Maybe Irongaf can help me out here. I tried my hand at making an Aioli today and while it didn`t break it turned out sort of thin and runny and I`m looking at it wondering if there`s anything I can do to thicken it up after the fact.

Add another egg yolk.

^-- Is there anything another egg yolk won't fix?

Made stuffed potato skins tonight after watching Worst Chefs Ever on Food Network make them last night. I tried to make mine somewhat healthy by stuffing it with mashed potatoes, kale, and tempeh bacon. (click for recipe)

Gila

I think you want something light and acidic to balance out the richness of bacon scallops. How about a spicy leaf like arugula? I like a simple arugula salad with a olive oil and lemon dressing and plenty of pepper and salt to taste.

I tried this out last night. Maybe I didn't do it right, but it was horrible (for me at least). Sad, cause it was only like 4 ingredients

Mind you, this was the first time I've ever tried Arugula, so it was probably not an acquired taste for me

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I tried this out last night. Maybe I didn't do it right, but it was horrible (for me at least). Sad, cause it was only like 4 ingredients

Mind you, this was the first time I've ever tried Arugula, so it was probably not an acquired taste for me

Was it just the arugula that you didn't like then?

Gila

Was it just the arugula that you didn't like then?

Possibly but honestly I've never tried my own homemade dressing. Since it was just Olive Oil + Lemon + S&P - the olive oil was really powerfull, and it took the taste of most of the dressing. So that's probably what I didn't like about it...I'll have to try it out with another dressing sometime. Cause when I tried the Arugula alone it wasn't bad

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Possibly but honestly I've never tried my own homemade dressing. Since it was just Olive Oil + Lemon + S&P - the olive oil was really powerfull, and it took the taste of most of the dressing. So that's probably what I didn't like about it...I'll have to try it out with another dressing sometime. Cause when I tried the Arugula alone it wasn't bad

What sort of olive oil did you use? There are different types; some are better suited for cooking and others are better for dipping and dressing. I've tried making dressing with the cooking olive oil before and it was kind of gross, so that might be a factor.

Gila

What sort of olive oil did you use? There are different types; some are better suited for cooking and others are better for dipping and dressing. I've tried making dressing with the cooking olive oil before and it was kind of gross, so that might be a factor.

Ahh that could be it, I think it was just a generic cheap one from the market.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody ever try making their own paneer cheese? Been wanting to cook more Indian food and less meat as well not sure if using 8 parts milk to produce 1 part cheese is worth wasting milk. At that point I'd think I might as well just buy the premade stuff.

Yeah, I've made it a few times. Was easy and came out fine (pretty bland stuff, but that's just how it is). Supposedly you can use the leftover whey for soups or baking if you don't want to throw it out.

Anybody ever try making their own paneer cheese? Been wanting to cook more Indian food and less meat as well not sure if using 8 parts milk to produce 1 part cheese is worth wasting milk. At that point I'd think I might as well just buy the premade stuff.

If you go an Indian store get Amul Paneer - pretty much what we use back in India.

I have found some of the Paneer at the stores to not be of good quality which has affected cooking (well my Mom's cooking when she is visiting).

BTW, anyone have a link to one of those sites where you put in ingredients and it gives you recipes?

Ah, I'm sorry the dressing didn't work out. Did you mix everything together? I like sticking my dressing stuff into a little jar, screwing the lid, and shaking the hell out of it. Much easier than stirring by hand.

But as someone else said, if you're using cooking olive oil, that might be it. Some cooking olive oils taste fine in cooked food, but make terrible dressing. I find that it's too bland and oily, if that makes sense. Also, for this particular arugula salad, I find that more lemon is better than more oil because the acid and the pepperiness of the arugula go well together.

You can try this brand of olive oil. We use it for the "don't cook with this, it's expensive" olive oil around the house. It's on the lower end of the expensive olive oils, tastes pretty good, and seems to keep for a while. I've seen it at regular supermarkets like Ralph's or Albertsons, so it should be easy to find:

http://dudesonfoods.blogspot.com/2007/11/frantoia-olive-oil-review.html

Tastes great in dressing and to top off things like soups.

The thing about olive oil in dressings is that you should like the taste of the olive oil by itself before putting it in a dressing.

How'd you kill it?

I stupidly confused it with my #1000 grit one and accidentally left it soaking in water for just a few minutes a couple of weeks ago. It was enough to form a tiny crack on the edge and when I went over it with my stone fixer yesterday the thing just fell apart on me. Lesson learned.

Going to attempt pastrami this weekend. Starting the brine process tonight, will smoke Sunday afternoon.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

I stupidly confused it with my #1000 grit one and accidentally left it soaking in water for just a few minutes a couple of weeks ago. It was enough to form a tiny crack on the edge and when I went over it with my stone fixer yesterday the thing just fell apart on me. Lesson learned.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Huh, how did that make it crack? I usually soak my stones in water before I start using them and haven't had this happen before to any of them.

Made this last night, deep-dish pizza in a cast-iron pan.

iblumw2M9AY6FZ.JPG

Real New York Pizza Dough, sliced mozzarella, cubed pepperoni, can of well-drained tomatoes mixed with some Italian herb paste, olives, parmesan and Italian cheeses. 'Twas very good.

MrBig

Made this last night, deep-dish pizza in a cast-iron pan.

http://i.minus.com/iblumw2M9AY6FZ.JPG[IMG]

Real New York Pizza Dough, sliced mozzarella, cubed pepperoni, can of well-drained tomatoes mixed with some Italian herb paste, olives, parmesan and Italian cheeses. 'Twas very good.[/QUOTE]

I have to try this. Still haven't gotten myself a cast-iron, and I know I should have gotten one a long time ago.

Tonight is my third attempt at making cookies, and I have yet to make a batch that didn't use too much flower. We'll see how this turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom