• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gila

Anyone have any nice and simple garlic chicken recipes? Ate garlic chicken wings last night and loved it. Wanna eat more chicken with garlic stuff

E/ by the way Nakedsushi, thanks for the recommendation and advice!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone have any nice and simple garlic chicken recipes? Ate garlic chicken wings last night and loved it. Wanna eat more chicken with garlic stuff

Brown chicken breast in very hot pan. Add a cup of chicken stock to deglaze hot pan reduce heat and simmer with crushed garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice, all to your taste. Cook chicken until done. Add chopped fresh parsley. serve with steamed broccoli. Bam.

Huh, how did that make it crack? I usually soak my stones in water before I start using them and haven't had this happen before to any of them.

I always soak my #1000 for at least 20 minutes before sharpening it, but with a finer grade stone like a #4000, you're only supposed to wet it with splashes of water while using it to polish the burr from your knife.

Nezumi

Made this last night, deep-dish pizza in a cast-iron pan.

iblumw2M9AY6FZ.JPG

That looks really good. Must try that sometime.

Todays lunch:

DSCF3016.jpg

It's beef bulgogi, kimchi, steamed snow pea (Not sure about the translation for this one, it's what leo.org told me it is called...), and potato-tuna-salad.
First time I ever made beef bulgogi myself and it won't be the last time. The kimchi was bought, and though I had better it was quite good. The rest was a bit improvised since I didn't want to eat only beef and kimchi.

tjdiE.jpg

Cheese: Hollandse Creme Double Cream Rather good, sort of a soft melter, decent bit of oil to it---but just general oil as opposed to mysterious super-delicious one that overflowed from last time. Amazingly, it also has a generally creamy feel to it which was nice, heh.

Crumble: Sun Chips 6 Grain Medley Creamy Roasted Garlic Oh man this was a treat indeed---been ages since I've seen any fresh Sun Chip offerings since this thread turned me on to them in the first place, but these pretty much knocked it out of the park and went a long way towards making the general oil manageable while also benefiting from getting heated through via the hot melter.

I live in Toronto Canada I found this mangal grill at a cutlery store.Only reason I got it is because it's great for taking on picnics or to the beach. It's completely foldable and comes with its own carrying case, it costed me around 80 bucks. At home I usually use my heavy iron one my uncle made me but this new portable one is great, i'll prolly use it as my main mangal grill.

here is my bulky Cast Iron grill.

Such great looking items in here. I really miss posting in this place. I learned a lot, and you guys taught me a few lessons in photography as well. Shit, I think the last thing I posted was some ice cream that I had just learned to make. Maybe I'll remake and refine a few of the very first dishes I put up in here and see what I can come up with. It's been far too long...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
you all make me proud, folks! :)

awesome dishes all around, thanks to all of younfor sharing.

Reason why I didn't post much over the last weeks was job-related. I was organizing a "chefs exchange" with chefs from 13 restaurants in the Catalan town of Roses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roses,_Girona
who are hosted in 13 restaurants in Solingen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solingen
and serve dishes from produce of their region in Solingen.
As you can imagine, coordinating 26 restaurants, two mayors, a lot of press and stuff took quite a bit of nerve amd time ;)
anyway, the kickoff event happened this noon, an open air Paella cooking session in Solingen with a few of the guest chefs. I tried to make an iPhoto journal, please tel me if you are able to open it:
https://www.icloud.com/journal/de-d...B6E-2874-4914-99DF-2780B1D9B82A.jb/index.json

bonus shot: two weeks ago, we hosted the regional championships of the trainees/apprentices in the HoReCa jobs that require training. the trainees in hospitality management had to prepare a mushroom omelette as part of the breakfast routine. These were the results:
2bfedead.jpg

apply the terms of modern art clockwise from top left, please.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
M&M's Shortbread

:)

;_; It's so beautiful!

you all make me proud, folks! :)

awesome dishes all around, thanks to all of younfor sharing.

Reason why I didn't post much over the last weeks was job-related. I was organizing a "chefs exchange" with chefs from 13 restaurants in the Catalan town of Roses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roses,_Girona
who are hosted in 13 restaurants in Solingen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solingen
and serve dishes from produce of their region in Solingen.
As you can imagine, coordinating 26 restaurants, two mayors, a lot of press and stuff took quite a bit of nerve amd time ;)
anyway, the kickoff event happened this noon, an open air Paella cooking session in Solingen with a few of the guest chefs. I tried to make an iPhoto journal, please tel me if you are able to open it:
https://www.icloud.com/journal/de-d...B6E-2874-4914-99DF-2780B1D9B82A.jb/index.json

bonus shot: two weeks ago, we hosted the regional championships of the trainees/apprentices in the HoReCa jobs that require training. the trainees in hospitality management had to prepare a mushroom omelette as part of the breakfast routine. These were the results:

apply the terms of modern art clockwise from top left, please.

*bow*

Which omelette won?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wow...so were they just shit from the presentation department, or did they taste bad too?

none of them were actually an omelette by culinary terms, just folded scrambled egg. One contestant even used a whole glass of water to dilute the egg whisk (guess which one lol). One could see that none of the contestants actually has prepared an omelette, let alone a mushroom omelette, before. Which is a shame since they are supposed to have learned it by now.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I always like dyon's exceptionally clear, natural photos. You can practically taste that buttery shortbread, the sugary crunch of biting through the M&Ms... I want to make some right now, but I also don't want to stay fat. :(

In other indulgent news, the student lunches we can pick from every day are pretty impressive (anything from tagines, stews, roasts, burgers, yakisoba, sandwiches, handmade pastas, etc) but the other day one of the line cooks was having some fun and made chocolate chip pancakes with deep fried bacon.

pHRZF.jpg

The bacon was pretty fantastic, but it's also the sort of thing that's so flawless in its basic form that this bordered on the ridiculous. Still, I enjoy having been able to cross it off my "yep, I ate that" list.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
none of them were actually an omelette by culinary terms, just folded scrambled egg. One contestant even used a whole glass of water to dilute the egg whisk (guess which one lol). One could see that none of the contestants actually has prepared an omelette, let alone a mushroom omelette, before. Which is a shame since they are supposed to have learned it by now.

That's a shame.

I like that the mushrooms are just plated on the side of that one on the top right. lol

I always like dyon's exceptionally clear, natural photos. You can practically taste that buttery shortbread, the sugary crunch of biting through the M&Ms... I want to make some right now, but I also don't want to stay fat. :(

Please, you are not fat. Make/Eat that M&M shortbread!

EDIT: O_O Chocolate chip pancakes! :d

is this how you make a proper omelette?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgHgbn_sVUw

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
is this how you make a proper omelette?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgHgbn_sVUw

from a professional point of view, he makes a vital error when cracking the eggs open on the edge of the whisking bowl (hygienic no-no) and fishing pieces of the shell out with the shell (BAD BRIT!!!).
his omelette turns out way too dry/done IMHO. this depends on the guests' wish, though.

Here's a vid of a proper old school prep with correct doneness. think sauteed mushrooms/shallots instead of the fried rice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GFimGcYJw

it would also be OK to sautee the mushrooms and to put the whisked eggs into the skillet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26da1mzNvM

from a professional point of view, he makes a vital error when cracking the eggs open on the edge of the whisking bowl (hygienic no-no) and fishing pieces of the shell out with the shell (BAD BRIT!!!).
his omelette turns out way too dry/done IMHO. this depends on the guests' wish, though.

Here's a vid of a proper old school prep with correct doneness. think sauteed mushrooms/shallots instead of the fried rice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GFimGcYJw

it would also be OK to sautee the mushrooms and to put the whisked eggs into the skillet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26da1mzNvM

Interesting, I always though omelette making means you don't touch the eggs too much after you put the eggs into the pan.

I have 3 eggs...I will make an omelette tonight and post a picture for GAF critique

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What are some good tips on making falafel? I've made it before but its been about a year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I oven-baked some chicken thighs with paprika, salt, rosemary, and oregano. Tasty, but I'm wondering how to cook chicken thighs so that they turn out a bit more like rotisserie chicken, where the meat is less soft? Is it only possible by roasting?

Does anybody know what the heck this is? I found it in the kitchen.
xd5Tkl.jpg

Garlic press. Put a a garlic clove in there after removing skin, press. Better off cutting garlic to keep it flavorful IMO.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Here's some stuff that I made recently:

Chicken Lettuce Cups (with a healthy dose of cilantro :) )

SnR88l.jpg

A generic cheesecake topped with some blueberry jam and fresh strawberries

msFhfl.jpg

Reina Pepiada Arepas (soooo good!)

8B4DLl.jpg

Does anybody know what the heck this is? I found it in the kitchen.
xd5Tkl.jpg

Garlic press?

Zyzyxxz

I oven-baked some chicken thighs with paprika, salt, rosemary, and oregano. Tasty, but I'm wondering how to cook chicken thighs so that they turn out a bit more like rotisserie chicken, where the meat is less soft? Is it only possible by roasting?

You can roast chicken thighs just bring them and make sure its skin on. Dry the skin thoroughly with paper towels and roast at a really low temperature then either turn it up to 450-500F or broil the skin to get it crispy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can roast chicken thighs just bring them and make sure its skin on. Dry the skin thoroughly with paper towels and roast at a really low temperature then either turn it up to 450-500F or broil the skin to get it crispy.

So maybe the overly-juicy aspect is from not drying the skin first?

Zyzyxxz

So maybe the overly-juicy aspect is from not drying the skin first?

oops I meant brine not bring.

But as for your question I'm assuming you mean your skin usually comes out super moist.

When it comes to getting crispy skin if you don't do it at a very high temperature all you are doing is steaming the skin. If you want to make it easier on yourself you can render some of that fat first before you bake it. Start the chicken skin side down on a medium heat pan and let the fat cook off. Then throw it in the oven and let it finish, most of the fat and water should be gone from the skin and you can let the oven finish it off.

Prezhulio

made some sweet corn bread, pulled pork (with ale 8 BBQ sauce, which is amazing) and coleslaw this weekend that made some great bite sized sandwiches.

34gUSl.jpg

Hmm sorry about the giant image

ameratsu

@Prezhulio: add an "l" at the end of your imgur filename to make the image a better size for forums. Change "http://i.imgur.com/34gUS.jpg" to "http://i.imgur.com/34gUSl.jpg"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's what I thought it was. I tried putting a clove in there, and it just got stuck. Maybe it's just old.

Don't use it. Garlic should not be squashed like that. It should be chopped to keep the flavor.

oops I meant brine not bring.

But as for your question I'm assuming you mean your skin usually comes out super moist.

When it comes to getting crispy skin if you don't do it at a very high temperature all you are doing is steaming the skin. If you want to make it easier on yourself you can render some of that fat first before you bake it. Start the chicken skin side down on a medium heat pan and let the fat cook off. Then throw it in the oven and let it finish, most of the fat and water should be gone from the skin and you can let the oven finish it off.

I see, I'll try that next time. I like chicken thighs, but I prefer the ones form the rotisseries. When I cook mine it's too moist.

Paprika+salt+rosemary+oregano was a really good mix though:)

Don't use it. Garlic should not be squashed like that. It should be chopped to keep the flavor.

I have a feeling this is an old wives' tale. You might lose some of the oil, but the the drier, less flavorful outer layer is generally left behind in the press, and it's hard to see how the flavor is going to be changed in the process. Obviously the texture is going to be a lot different, so you wouldn't want to press garlic for a recipe that calls for browned, diced bits of it as a topping, though. Otherwise I really doubt it matters much.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I have a feeling this is an old wives' tale. You might lose some of the oil, but the the drier, less flavorful outer layer is generally left behind in the press, and it's hard to see how the flavor is going to be changed in the process. Obviously the texture is going to be a lot different, so you wouldn't want to press garlic for a recipe that calls for browned, diced bits of it as a topping, though. Otherwise I really doubt it matters much.

I agree. I used my press last night and my salsa had a great flavour.

I could never use a garlic press well enough to make it worth it. It seems to waste more garlic than it extrudes out and it's such a pain to clean!

Mekere

Vegetables for the week!

IMG_20120319_184445.jpg

- Salad
- Radish
- Leeks
- Carrots
- Chards
- Shallots
- Red cabbage

Salad and radish will stay as is.
Radish leaves will be blend in a kind of pesto (mixed with pine seed and parmeggiano), that would taste great with pasta, usually I make a soup but I don't have any potatoes left at the moment.
Chards, I love chards! The taste is delicate, it's perfect even with just a drop of olive oil. As I have a lot of them, I will probably use most of it in a farce for cannelloni (or lasagna).
The green of the leeks will be knead in puff pastry, the white in a quiche.
Half of the carrots will become porkkanalaatikko (finnish carrot and rice casserole) the other half in salad with some of the red cabbage....

I have no idea what to do with the rest of the cabbage though :/

I will probably keep the shallot for some duck breast with honey this week-end. I'm definitely not vegetarian but I'm trying not to use meat during the week. It's the week-end pleasure :). I may post some picture of the dishes this week, but it's everyday cooking so I'm afraid it would be a bit bland compared to what you people do :/...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom