• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri_willy

vCVOZ.jpg

hey gaf, tried my hand at making an egg butter/mayo to go with a vietnamese style banh mi/bread roll sammich (im of a vietnamese background) and it turned out surprisingly nice. here's the recipe for any interested gaffer

Ingredients

4 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
4 tsp rice vinegar
2 cups canola oil
2 garlic cloves crushed (formed into a paste)

Method

Put the egg yolks, salt, lemon juice, and vinegar in the food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to combine well.

Run the machine and pour the oil through the feed tube in a thin (less than ¼ inch wide), steady stream until completely incorporated. The mixture will thicken as the oil gets worked in, and the sputtering will diminish by the time the mixture becomes super thick and creamy. It should take 2 to 3 minutes to add the oil.

Refrigerate immediately. This mayo will last up to a week in the refrigerator.

Obviously procedure was pasted from a website and I added my own version to it :D

NkvXG.jpg

added my toppings which include teriyaki chicken, picked onion, radish, carrot and chilli, & coriander/cilantro

enjoy!

IifRp.jpg

Cheese: Limburger So....yeah....do I get some kinda badass jacket or some such for finally entering the realm of Stinky Cheeses? The smell once out of the metal foil was different to be sure, but nothing that'd send me running for the hills. It melted decently enough considering it was nearly as soft as a brie to begin with, but it was totally strange and unexpected that I had some puffing going on by the end such that it literally looked like I'd stuck a pair of barely toasted marshmallows on my pizza.

The taste was good in general, surprisingly neutral.

Crumble: Lundberg Family Farms Rice Chips Fiesta Lime The missing 3rd variety of this unless they wind up making more, the rather sharp lime taste served me well with all the black pepper from the salame and the neutral Limburger.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys what can I do with salmon and an oven/stove?

I like raw salmon, but when I cook it, unless I douse it in loads of lemon juice or salt, it always tastes boring.

Talon

I like raw salmon, but when I cook it, unless I douse it in loads of lemon juice or salt, it always tastes boring.
Make a teriyaki sauce and slather it on before you bake it?

I prefer kosher salt and black pepper, and then I broil it briefly.

I like to spread a mixture of sugar, miso and rice wine on the salmon. Add some butter underneath the salmon, then put it in tinfoil and steam it.

Zyzyxxz

I just picked up this cooking set for $149 on sale. Any good?

It's the Paderno Copperline Stainless Steel Set with Copper Ring.

Paderno stuff tends to be well regarded so for the price it's not too bad, should last you a long time. I like the fact that most of the pots have long handles, hate having to use two hands to move a small pot.

I have discovered a love for cooking when my mom taught me how to make her famous pasta SAWS. These pictures you guys take look fucking delicious as well.

entremet

Just curious for all of IronGAF, so what are your staple meals? Meals that are in your rotation constantly. I'm looking to diversity my go to meals.

Here's mine.

Breakfast:
Eggs, scrambled, omelets.
Yogurt and berries. I prefer Greek yogurt

Lunch:
Salads with leftover protein--beef, chicken, fish. Greens are usually baby spinach or spring mix, with a variety of stuff I have on hand--brocolli florets, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, olives.

Soups--Mostly chicken soup, pho, butternut squash, shrimp bisque

Dinner:

Roast Chicken
Burgers
Stir Fried beef
Pork Chops/Steak

Steam veggies of all kinds, rice, and occasionally pasta.

Nezumi

Last week I went on a spontanious trip to The Gambia with a friend of mine. On the last day we had the chance to learn how to prepare some local dishes from some nice ladies in a little village. Today I finally came around to cook one of them. It's Chicken Yassa.

IMG_20120404_161259.jpg

I was really happy with how it turned out, though next time I will reduce the oil. For some reason the gambian cuisine is a bit heavy on the oily side which might be because this way the meals become more filling which is an important factor in areas were food might be scarce and the meals have to fill quite a lot of people.
Anyway Chicken Yassa ( Chicken is optional here, can be prepared with fish, beef, or just vegetables there are no limitations) is a hearty dish with lots of onions which has a slightly sour taste which comes from either lemonjuice or vinegar (depending on which is available I guess). I can post a more detailed recipe if someone is interested.

Milchjon

Last week I went on a spontanious trip to The Gambia with a friend of mine. On the last day we had the chance to learn how to prepare some local dishes from some nice ladies in a little village. Today I finally came around to cook one of them. It's Chicken Yassa.

IMG_20120404_161259.jpg

I was really happy with how it turned out, though next time I will reduce the oil. For some reason the gambian cuisine is a bit heavy on the oily side which might be because this way the meals become more filling which is an important factor in areas were food might be scarce and the meals have to fill quite a lot of people.
Anyway Chicken Yassa ( Chicken is optional here, can be prepared with fish, beef, or just vegetables there are no limitations) is a hearty dish with lots of onions which has a slightly sour taste which comes from either lemonjuice or vinegar (depending on which is available I guess). I can post a more detailed recipe if someone is interested.

I'd like the recipe, looks interesting (and hopefully easy)!

Zyzyxxz

Is that broken pasta?

joe2187

Banned
My ma asked me to make her favorite dinner today, so I obliged.

Braised short ribs w/ Rosemary and red wine reduction. I make an espagnole sauce with garlic and shallots and rosemary, and the wine. It's served over a bed of parmesean mashed potatoes.

010-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

thespot84

passover sedar:

Matzoh Ball Soup
gefilte fish (we eat strange things)
beef brisket
turkey
kuggel (essentially a potato or noodle cassarole)

welcome to jewish cuisine.

I don't know really...we always eat deviled eggs though. lol

I had my first deviled egg recently when my MIL made them for me. They're DELICIOUS. And dangerous because I can't just stop at two or three. I like them with a big sprinkle of paprika.

Made vegan katsu curry (the katsu was breaded and pan-fried seitan) for dinner last night:

I forgot to buy a Korean pear for my curry sauce so it was a little lacking in that something-something, but otherwise, pretty good!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I had my first deviled egg recently when my MIL made them for me. They're DELICIOUS. And dangerous because I can't just stop at two or three. I like them with a big sprinkle of paprika.

Oh yeah, my family literally FORCES me to make them every year. They're devoured almost instantly. I usually put paprika on them, but sometimes I use red pepper for a spicy kick.

joe2187

Banned
I really want to make some lamb for easter, last year at work I fabricated so many lamb carcases and made such amazing foods, I've become addicted to it.

But my family has no taste for it :(

All they want me to make is my spicy sweedish meatballs

Nezumi

Is that broken pasta?

Though Yassa is normaly eaten with rice, out of the three times I ate in The Gambia only one time it was actually served this way. The other times were, once with salad and the other time with these noodles, which turned out to be vermicelli. A kind of noodle normaly used in soups. So when I decided to cook this dish at home I choose to use the noodles as well. I think nect time I try it with mashed potatos.

I'd like the recipe, looks interesting (and hopefully easy)!

Ingredients (for 2 persons):
- 2 chicken breasts (or any other meat from any other animal. Strict vegetarians or vegans see below)
- 2 mediumlarge onions (a bit smaller than the average apple I would say)
- additional vegetables (I used a bell pepper and a carrot but everthing else is fine as well)
- sugar (optional)
- salt
* green bell pepper
* 5-6 cloves of garlic
* 3-4 tablespoons of mustard
* 8-10 tablespoons of lemonjuice or vinegar (or maybe even limejuice... ah the possibilities!)
* 2 african stock cubes (Ok, here is the thing, I don't think it is actually necessary to buy the special african stock cubes, sure they are a bit different from the ones we have here, but mostly because our's aren't loaded with glutamate. The best way to imitate the african ones without glutamate would be to use one normal stock cube, either vegetable or beef or chicken or whatever, and add a bit Maggi or soy-sauce. Maybe one or two tablespoons)
* Pepper, lots of it. At least one tablespoon, maybe two.

Instructions:

Carve in your meat a bit, salt it and put it in a bowl. Put green bell pepper and garlic in a blender and make a paste (in Gambia the nice ladies who showed me how to prepare this meal used a huuuge wooden mortar for this task, but since I'm lazy and don't own a huge wooden mortar I relied upon modern technology instead). Give the paste and the rest of the ingredients listed under * to the meat and mix all together so the meat is nicely covered. Put aside. As always with stuff that is marinated, the longer you let it marinate the better.
When you decide that the meat is ready to be cooked, cut the onions in chunks (not to small) and the additional vegetables in whatever size you want them to be (not to big though ;) ). Heat up some oil in a pot or pan or wok. It should be deep enough so that you can deep-fry your meat in it, ideally without having to turn it over... I personally couldn't do that because I couldn't bring it over myself to use this much oil. Fact is, that this dish will taste good even if you don't deep-fry the shit out of your meat. I explained already why I think that this is the way the do it in Gambia but for me I'm rather be able to digest my food without thinking I just ate a rock of some kind. So anyway... take your meat out of the bowl, LEAVE THE MARINADE IN THERE FOR NOW, and fry it in whatever way you feel comfortable.
When it is done (or if you like almost done, because it will get some more heat later on) take it out and put aside again. Mix the onions with the marinade and put them into your pot (or pan or wok) and cook them. You want them just to fry a bit, the don't need to be crispy, so when the whole thing gets to dry add some water. Cook until the onions are nice and soft than add the meat again and cook some more minutes (around three I would say). Taste. To sour? Add some sugar. Not sour enough for your taste? Add some lemonjuice. Not enough salt... well add some salt then.
When you archived a taste you like put it on a plate with anything you want. Like I said rice, noodles, potatos, salad everything goes.

For the vegetarians or vegans: The dish does not need to be made with meat as such. You can marinade some tofu or just use more vegetables. Just keep in mind that some vegetables need longer to cook than others, so that you put them in first.

Enjoy!

Out of sheer interest:

What's your menu schedule for the Easter holidays, IronGAF?

Tomorrow on Good Friday it is traditional to eat fish so we'll have. Salmon with green beans, rice and a "cheated" sauce bearnaise.

Not sure about the other easter holidays, because it depends on wether my mother and her boyfriend come to visit or not, since they are vegetarians. Possibly asparagus, it is in season now.

Since I'm already writing on this post for about what feels like 3 hours I might as well post a pick of todays lunch as well.

IMG_20120405_141949.jpg

It's baked sweet-potato with Frankfurter "Green Sauce" and a soy-schnitzel.

UrokeJoe

I don't know really...we always eat deviled eggs though. lol

Love deviled eggs! My mom used to make them for all the dinner holidays. lol

I just recently made a batch of pickled eggs and I can't get anyone to at least try one. I used too love them and I never see them anywhere, so I made some and I thought they came out great.

People missing out.

Those fools, pickled eggs are good. I haven't had one in a long time, either, though.

I've never had a pickled eggs. I was always scared when I saw them at a bar counter top. Who knows how long they've been there and how many hands have gone in that jar. I'm that way about olives that are on bar counters too. But I'd totally eat a pickled egg someone made from home.

So in a pickled egg...what is the yolk like? Is it sour/wet? I can't really imagine it.

UrokeJoe

I've never had a pickled eggs. I was always scared when I saw them at a bar counter top. Who knows how long they've been there and how many hands have gone in that jar. I'm that way about olives that are on bar counters too. But I'd totally eat a pickled egg someone made from home.

So in a pickled egg...what is the yolk like? Is it sour/wet? I can't really imagine it.

First up I really hope people don't use their hands to grab them lol, but I see your point in not knowing.

Second, now that you ask I'm going to try the white and yoke separate. I usually just bite right in. The white does seem to have more of the flavor after just a week of pickling, but more time might fix that. Other than that the yoke is still similar to a boiled egg with more of a zing(vinegar)flavor.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is what I do every night with a sweet potato:

Chopped like thick fries
Mix with olive oil
Cook in oven at 350 for 30 mins
Chop onions, thyme, and cilantro if I have any, and mix with paprika and a bit more olive oil.
Add to potatoes, mix them together well, put back in the oven for 15 mins at 350.
Add salt to taste.

Delicious!

Next step will be to add cheese curd:D

UrokeJoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom