• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
qw7vi.jpg

Cheese: St Paulin Valco Fairly soft in general, melts nice, not oily, nothing particular to distinguish it---another solidly good cheese.

Crumble: Wai Lana Herb & Garlic Cassava Chips Been awhile since I'd gotten ahold of a cassava chip---been far too long. These in particular are really good on the garlic front, though in general all the Wai Lana stuff I've eaten has been excellent---shame I can never find them outside of these random bargain bin sections.

A good dinner!

Mœbius

That steak looks delicious Stalfos.

It's been a while since I've posted my food adventures; here's a few things we've made in the past month...

Parisian Egg in a Pot:

nEd7jl.jpg

Halloumi & Vegetable Stack with Grapefruit Creme Fraiche sauce:

pPZ1bl.jpg

Hand-made lamb burger with portobello mushroom "bun" and topped with buffalo mozzarella and balsamic vinegar sauce:

wWrmll.jpg

Blood Orange Duck Breast in spicy Star Anise sauce & Parsnip-Carrot mash:

EIv2Tl.jpg

Cinnamon & Almond Meringues:

XUU99l.jpg

Are there blue spots on it? I tried gorgonzola that had blue shit in it once, and it was revolting. Tasted like dirty dish water and rank ass. I couldn't even gag down a tiny bit. To each their own though!

Blue nope but green yes. But hey, I enjoyed the chocolate cheddar cheese (chocolate flaxes inside) that Trader Joes sold lol. I'm just becoming a cheese o'holic.

I tried out Zyzyxxz's food finally tonight at a bar he's helping at woo hoo!

Lotus root chips dusted with two types of seaweed. My new favorite beer snack!

chicken salad served on top of chinese toast

Omg that toast. Way to make an unhealthy thing even more unhealthy but delicious.

thespot84

hey guys I have this problem, I can cook the food fine using a pan but once I'm done I don't know what to do with the pan, do I pit it in the sink? or is it ok to just go back in the cabinet? I've been running my dishwasher on separate cycles for every single dish but I'm getting the feeling this might be inefficient...

Stalfos

hey guys I have this problem, I can cook the food fine using a pan but once I'm done I don't know what to do with the pan, do I pit it in the sink? or is it ok to just go back in the cabinet? I've been running my dishwasher on separate cycles for every single dish but I'm getting the feeling this might be inefficient...

Depends on the type of pan. With cast iron you usually just want to give it a quick rinse then wipe it out and put it away dry. With something like a stainless steel or non stick pan I will wash those by hand. Don't use anything too abrasive on either, especially on non-stick. If you need to let them soak in the sink a while to loosen up stuck on food particles that is fine. I generally avoid putting any pots or pans in the dishwasher.

Gaf I am in need of a recipe. I have a few pieces of bone in chicken, and an Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Teriyaki flavor along with a generic assortment of spices. I've heard of people mixing these in a casserole dish and popping them in an oven, but I'm a complete noob to cooking and I'd have no idea to do it (from preheating, how to mix, what temp, etc. etc.) Help me make dinner gaf!

Nezumi

Backing-Gaf please help me. I need a good cake or pie recipe without egg. I don't want to use egg-substitute since I think it always leaves a strange taste. So best would be recipes which don't need any egg in the first place. And it shouldn't be something which is best eaten warm, since I have to prepare it in advance.

Backing-Gaf please help me. I need a good cake or pie recipe without egg. I don't want to use egg-substitute since I think it always leaves a strange taste. So best would be recipes which don't need any egg in the first place. And it shouldn't be something which is best eaten warm, since I have to prepare it in advance.

Well its not a cake or a pie recipe but these Peanut Jelly Bars are great. No egg, super easy to make, tastes even better cold, and everyone I know that has tried them has loved them (and my mom asks me to make them for her all the time which is huge because she herself is a fantastic baker):

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Peanut-Jelly-Bars

Horribly fattening protip: spread a layer of peanut butter over the bottom layer and use more jelly than what they say in the recipe

So, inspired by the premier of the new season of Bourdain's No Reservations last night...and running out of my blueberry wine and Black History Month powered BBQ sauce---does IronGAF have any good specific brand recommendations or even things to watch out for and consider in terms of getting ahold of some nice Piri Piri sauce?

Nezumi

Well its not a cake or a pie recipe but these Peanut Jelly Bars are great. No egg, super easy to make, tastes even better cold, and everyone I know that has tried them has loved them (and my mom asks me to make them for her all the time which is huge because she herself is a fantastic baker):

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Peanut-Jelly-Bars

Horribly fattening protip: spread a layer of peanut butter over the bottom layer and use more jelly than what they say in the recipe
Yes! Those look great. Will definitely try this recipe. Thanks a lot!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Gaf I am in need of a recipe. I have a few pieces of bone in chicken, and an Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Teriyaki flavor along with a generic assortment of spices. I've heard of people mixing these in a casserole dish and popping them in an oven, but I'm a complete noob to cooking and I'd have no idea to do it (from preheating, how to mix, what temp, etc. etc.) Help me make dinner gaf!

Cooking Gaf I am dissapoint :(

;_;

Did you do anything with them? If not, heat the oven to 350 and place the chicken in a baking dish. Rub olive oil on them and season with salt, pepper, and whatever spice you like. Rosemary, italian seasoning, or whatever. Drizzle a little more oil on top or you could do worcester sauce instead. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked though. Serve with the rice and maybe some steamed broccoli.

Mœbius

That looks great! How is the egg cooked?
Thanks. :) You literally just crack an egg into the ramekin along with the other ingredients and cook it in a bath (in the oven). See full recipe below...

Recipes, plox.

Egg in a pot
  • 150g/5½oz creme fraiche
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • pinch nutmeg
  • handful of chopped dill
  • 4 free-range eggs

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

In each ramekin:
1. place a heaped tablespoon of creme fraiche
2. grate in a little nutmeg (or cumin or paprike or chilli powder)
3. add a pinch of salt and pepper
4. crack in an egg
5. sprinkle in a little chopped dill
6. add one more small tablespoon spoon of creme fraiche
7. place the ramekins in a deep baking dish and pour enough lukewarm water into the dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins (this will make them cook evenly)
8. bake for 15 minutes for runny eggs or a little longer for a firmer egg.

Blood Orange Duck Breast (serves 4)
  • 4 duck breasts (180-200g each)
  • 2 tbsp fennel seeds
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp course sea salt
  • pinch of chili flakes
  • 240ml blood orange juice (from about 4 oranges); plus 4 whole blood oranges
  • 180ml red wine
  • 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
  • 16 star anise

1. Score the skin of each duck breast with 3 or 4 parallel incisions, without cutting right into the meat. Repeat at a 90 degree angle to the other cuts to get little squares on the sin. Mix together fennel seeds, chili flakes, cumin, black pepper, and salt, and rub them into the cuts using your hands. Place in a bowl and cover with cling film to marinate for a few hours at least, if not overnight.
2. Trim off 1cm from the top and bottom of each orange. Standing them up, carefully remove the skin, and then cut horizontally into roughly 6 slices. Remove pips and place in a bowl; set aside.
3. To sear the duck, thoroughly heat a large frying pan (one that has a lid, but don't use it yet). Place the duck breasts on the hot pan skin-side down, and cook for about 2 minutes (no more than 3 minutes) until golden brown / crisp; then turn over and same on the other side. Then remove from pan and set aside in a warm place.
4. Discard most but not all of the fat from the pan, and add wine, vinegar, orange juice, and star anise. Bring to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, until reduced by about half. Taste and salt & pepper as you like. Then return the duck breasts to the pan, stir in to coat them in the sauce. Cover with pan lid now and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Take orange slices, plus any extra juice in their bowl, and place next to duck breasts. Cover again and simmer for 3 more minutes. By this point the meat should be medium rare.
6. Remove the duck breasts from the sauce, place on a cutting board and leave to rest for 3 minutes. While waiting check the sauce, it may need to be simmered a little longer until it thickens slightly. Taste and season accordingly.
7. Slice each duck breast at an angle into pieces about 1cm thick and plate up; pick oranges from the sauce and arrange on the plate with the duck, finally pour the sauce over the duck and on the side with the mash.

Cinnamon & Almond Meringues (10 large)
  • 200g egg whites (about 7)
  • 260g caster sugar
  • 140g dark broan muscovado sgar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 30g unskinned almonds (can be swapped for hazelnuts), roughly chopped

1. Preheat over to 110C.
2. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to light simmer. Place egg whites and both sugars in a heatproof bowl large enough to sit on top of the pan. Put it over simmering water, making sure it doesn't touch the water, and leave for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is quite hot - about 40 degrees C (a thermometer would be useful) and the sugars have dissolved into the whites.
3. Pour into the bowl of a freestanding electric mixer and whip on high speed, using whisk attachment. Work meringue for about 8 minutes until the mix has cooled down completely. When ready it should be firm and shiny, keeping its shape when you lift a bit with a spoon.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon over meringue mix and use rubber spatula to fold in gently.
5. Line a baking tray with baking parchment (use some of the mix to hold down the parchment for when you shape the meringues). Using a large spoon scoop up a generous spoonful of the mix and, using the rubber spatula, scrape it onto the tray (leave lots of space between the meringues on the tray as they expand in the over by almost double). Then shape the meringues how you like, using the rubber spatula.
6. Sprinkle with the chopped almonds and place in oven for between 1.5-2 hours... it depends on your oven and the size of your meringues - just keep checking them. To check, poke them gently inside and look underneath, it should be nice and dry underneath and still a little soft in the middle.
7. Remove from oven and leave to cool. Store in a dry place (not the fridge) and it should last a few days. I recommend serving it with some vanilla ice cream - works surprisingly well.

Halloumi Vegetable Stack

Nert

Hi cooking GAF. I have what's possibly too broad of a question: what seller would you recommend for plates, bowls, and silverware? I haven't put much thought into it, but I'm interested in square white dinner plates and whatever silverware would hold up for a long period of time (going to get an apartment soon). I liked some stuff that I saw at a Sur La Table that I bumbled into one day, but I have no idea if it's competitively priced or not.

Any tips on where to get high quality baking tools (mixers, whisks, sifters, and the like) would be greatly appreciated as well. I've been having a lot of fun trying out recipes from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, and I'd like to keep at it after I move out.

thespot84

Hi cooking GAF. I have what's possibly too broad of a question: what seller would you recommend for plates, bowls, and silverware? I haven't put much thought into it, but I'm interested in square white dinner plates and whatever silverware would hold up for a long period of time (going to get an apartment soon). I liked some stuff that I saw at a Sur La Table that I bumbled into one day, but I have no idea if it's competitively priced or not.

Any tips on where to get high quality baking tools (mixers, whisks, sifters, and the like) would be greatly appreciated as well. I've been having a lot of fun trying out recipes from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, and I'd like to keep at it after I move out.

what are you looking to spend, and where?

Nert

what are you looking to spend, and where?

I'm moving to California in a few months (near Los Angeles), but I'm currently in Colorado. I'm also fine with buying things online, if that's the way to go.

As for how much I'm willing to spend... good question. I guess $400 or less on the plates/bowls/silverware. I want them to be of a high enough quality to last a while, but I'll be the only person in the apartment so I wouldn't need too many.

For the mixer, I'd spend as much as recommended, really. It's definitely something that I would use a lot, but I'm ignorant as to what types of features a higher end one would have. I currently use an older Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer. I've had no real problems with it, but I wouldn't know if there were better options.

thespot84

I'm moving to California in a few months (near Los Angeles), but I'm currently in Colorado. I'm also fine with buying things online, if that's the way to go.

As for how much I'm willing to spend... good question. I guess $400 or less on the plates/bowls/silverware. I want them to be of a high enough quality to last a while, but I'll be the only person in the apartment so I wouldn't need too many.

For the mixer, I'd spend as much as recommended, really. It's definitely something that I would use a lot, but I'm ignorant as to what types of features a higher end one would have. I currently use an older Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer. I've had no real problems with it, but I wouldn't know if there were better options.

Where in CO? there are some good outlets down in the castle rock outlets for kitchenwares, specifically dishes and whatnot.

Sur la table and williams sonoma and whatnot tend to be pretty expensive. The best bang for your buck for things like whisks is going to be at a TJ Maxx likely, or possibly kohls if it's on sale. I would also check out restaurant supply stores (there's a big one being built in south denver, and a big one already on globeville in north denver IIRC), since those might be better value too.

Where abouts?

Holy shit are you both from CO?

Nert

Where in CO? there are some good outlets down in the castle rock outlets for kitchenwares, specifically dishes and whatnot.

Sur la table and williams sonoma and whatnot tend to be pretty expensive. The best bang for your buck for things like whisks is going to be at a TJ Maxx likely, or possibly kohls if it's on sale. I would also check out restaurant supply stores (there's a big one being built in south denver, and a big one already on globeville in north denver IIRC), since those might be better value too.

Holy shit are you both from CO?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely start looking around here more. I'm in Castle Rock at the moment (recently graduated from CU Boulder), it's cool to see more of Colorado GAF in here :D

Zyzyxxz

Guys this site is awesome: http://steamykitchen.com/

I suck at cooking, but I did her "turn cheap choice steak into gucci prime steak" recipe and finally I can say "I am able to cook steak!". It was delicious!

I'm gonna do the slow-cooked salmon tomorrow.

She has some good info from time to time but her whole Mommy-Blog thing puts me off. Also most of her best is just recipes she got form somewhere else. Despite that her guide to making Pho broth based off of a Viet cookbook was a good pictorial guide and I still make it from time to time.

So what is the proper method to caramalize onions? I've sautéed them plenty, but I've never actually carmalized any...

Start with medium temperature and once the onions get hot cook them super slow at super low heat. As the onions cook down you have to transfer them from big pot to smaller pot. Possibly at least 3 times depending on how many onions you caramelize. Remember 10 onions will probably become the size of 1-2? If you try to rush it you will burn the sugars and thus get a burnt taste.

You can do them in a slow cooker, too. Slice enough onions to basically fill the crock, add some butter, and cook them on low, stirring every few hours. They'll take 8-10 hours or so, but they come out nice. Freeze any leftovers.

Edit: do make sure that you stir them well if you try this. As Zyzyxxz said, any that cook too quickly have the potential to mess up the whole batch, and if some slices sit for too long in the corners of your slow cooker's crock, that's going to happen.

Zyzyxxz

Actually I've also read about doing it in a slow cooker. Depends on what you have but if it has a low setting I think that should be fine to not let it burn.

I'm actually thinking about getting one of those small slow cookers like this: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_011V003065672000P?prdNo=20&blockNo=20&blockType=G20

I want it mostly for making oatmeal but it would be good for starting your onions on a big pan and once they reduce transfer them to the slow cooker.

Actually I've also read about doing it in a slow cooker. Depends on what you have but if it has a low setting I think that should be fine to not let it burn.

I'm actually thinking about getting one of those small slow cookers like this: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_011V003065672000P?prdNo=20&blockNo=20&blockType=G20

I want it mostly for making oatmeal but it would be good for starting your onions on a big pan and once they reduce transfer them to the slow cooker.

Yeah, the potential problem is with the evenness of heating, more so than the average temperature. Just about every slow cooker is going to have more heat going to some parts of the crock than to others, even if it's only a couple of degrees. That's not a problem with the more usual, wetter crock-pot recipes and techniques, but it can be when caramelizing onions.

It's not really that big of a deal, but being sure to stir the onions well a couple times will guarantee they'll come out nice.

You don't have a rice cooker with porridge mode? I use that for making steel cut oats and it works wonderfully! It works better with a 5qt cooker than 3qt one because of the amount of water involved.

Zyzyxxz

You don't have a rice cooker with porridge mode? I use that for making steel cut oats and it works wonderfully! It works better with a 5qt cooker than 3qt one because of the amount of water involved.

Well I just want one for a single serving so I can cook the oatmeal for myself over night.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So back to my hot dog question a bit back (or, Turkey kielbasa, or whatever). I am getting groceries tonight. I think I'll try avocado, tomato, mayo, and jalapenos.

Unless anyone else has some good ideas. Hmm.

EDIT: Although coleslaw, mustard, and onions sounds good too...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So what is the proper method to caramalize onions? I've sautéed them plenty, but I've never actually carmalized any...

Easiest way is to add sugar immediately after adding the onions to the skillet and stir fry it. the sugar will dissolve in the juices the onions will release and form an even glaze around every onion piece in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom