• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidyj

Nom nom nom..hehe Thanks :)

Thank you very much :)

hehe, that sums about it :D I am a sweet machine ;)

Noo...chocolate is the best thing in the world...you can never eat too much :D

Actualy it doesnt have that much chocolate, just some in the cake and the cover. It's very moist because it took 8 eggs :D hehe

I used this:

DSC02748.JPG

Plus 200 ml of cream and 200 gr of chocolate for the topping :)

Thank you for your kind words :)

The only part I don't get... Is that cornmeal?

Mekere

6C cabbage, shredded
1 medium-large carrot, grated
2T red wine vinegar
1t salt (+ to taste)

Mix cabbage, carrot, red wine vinegar, and salt in large bowl.

Take a neutral oil, around 2T, get the oil very hot and then put 2t brown or yellow mustard seeds in. When they start to pop, take the entire pan and pour it over the mixed cabbage, toss some more, season to taste, serve.

The toasted mustard seeds give this slaw an awesome flavor. For an additional kick, thinly slice some green chilies and add them.

Almost! A friend gave me a recipe of his and I made it just before seeing your post... Well there's always next time.

His recipe was:
- Half a red cabbage
- Smoked sausages (I picked a Morteau sausage) and Chorizo
- red onions
- red wine
- red wine vinegar
- brown sugar
- apples
- Dry fruits (he told me to use cherries, but I picked apricot instead)

The sweet/salt taste was surprisingly good.

With that done, I only had carrots and leeks left. With the leeks I made a rolled cake (yes.. my boy friend was doubtful too..)
IMGP6208.JPG

The green of the leeks was mixed into the dough while the white was mixed with ham and cream to make the filling. And I couldn't make a decent picture, sorry for that.

dyonPT

xptoxyz

Yep, these things happen. When I was 7, an older sibling thought they were being smart by betting $20 that I'd not eat a milkbone----needless to say I understood the value of a $20 back around 1990 faaar beyond said sibling. Dry, oddly salty was the verdict.

But anyways:

98UZw.jpg

Cheese: BellaVitano Balsamic My first cheese that in any way involves a balsamic anything---pretty nice kick to the sweetness of the oil without being overpowering. Still a very oily/messy cheese that really doesn't melt terribly well, but I can dig it especially with all the black pepper in play on the salame front.

Crumble: Rutherford & Meyer Waferbites Double Cheese Cheddar/Parmesan End of the line for these tasty wafer-things---at least barring the store getting in new varieties in the future should they exist. Subtle cheese goodness, handy oil soppers.

Stupid question, saw these here more than once, what do you people call them?

Made some oven fried chicken last night.

Turned out well, chicken was moist and juicy (was boneless, skinless breast) and great in my salad for lunch today. Only problem I had was baking it in a dish lined with parchment, so the coating never got golden brown and the seasonings were a bit on the light side.

I'll probably revisit and add more seasoning to the chicken, flour and panko. May try frying one to see if I like it more than baked.

xptoxyz

You mean the bread? That's Naan if so, done up in a roughly pizza intent, "Naanza" if you will.

Yes, I guess the pizza fashion in which it was made. The bread itself didn't even look like that too me due to it's less round shape and more elongated. Anyway, as stupid as the question might have been, now I won't be puzzled when I see them. Thanks.

I'm considering making poutine one of these days for fun.

Anyone know what type of cheese curds and/or gravy would be the best for it? Gravy I could probably make from scratch but cheese curds I'm clueless about.

Thanks!

The BEST way to do it would be to buy curds from a local dairy fresh; they don't have much of a shelf-life, losing their texture and flavor pretty quickly (like within hours, really). If that's not an option, Trader Joe's sells cheese curds in much of the US. They're not as good as the real, fresh thing, but they're ok (nitrogen-packed in a polystyrene tub).

The gravy in most places in Canada is just some institutional "brown-gravy" mix. Shouldn't matter too much. Get good curds and make the best fries (million resources about this on the web) you can and it'll be great!

LordAlu

I'm considering making poutine one of these days for fun.

Anyone know what type of cheese curds and/or gravy would be the best for it? Gravy I could probably make from scratch but cheese curds I'm clueless about.

Thanks!
I like a good beef gravy myself, and preferably a medium thickness. It varied so much when I was in Montreal, really didn't like water-like gravy that some places did.

Damn I just gain weight by reading through this thread. Can't imagine what happens if I start to cook some of the posted recipes by myself. Really great to see so many people sharing their different styles.

squidyj

I like a good beef gravy myself, and preferably a medium thickness. It varied so much when I was in Montreal, really didn't like water-like gravy that some places did.

A flavorful beef gravy thick enough to stick to your fries and hold some cheese curd is my ideal Poutine gravy.

Silkworm

Just wondering if anyone here could help me out. :)

I'd like to make some fish chowder, but I can't find either cod or haddock locally. Darn living in Indiana. Anyway, would either flounder or orange roughy work as a substitute? I did find cod steaks, but I don't know that that would work. The recipe I'd like to try calls for cod filets and I figured trying to slice the steaks horizontally into something more like the thickness of a filet would end up being a butchered mess.

Anyway, if flounder and orange roughy aren't good substitutes, perhaps you might have a suggestion for another type of fish I might use as a substitute (the recipe says that I could use a flaky white fish as a substitute)? Maybe grouper would work? *shrug*

Thanks for any help you can provide!

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my 10" All Clad stainless frying pan today. Bought the old (pre-2011) model, which just has a different handle. $65. Not bad.

edit: looks like you can get it for like $73 off Amazon if you're in the US.

Zyzyxxz

Got my 10" All Clad stainless frying pan today. Bought the old (pre-2011) model, which just has a different handle. $65. Not bad.

edit: looks like you can get it for like $73 off Amazon if you're in the US.

Aww man you gotta pay almost twice as much for an extra 2 inches [/that's what she said]!

But I cook for 5 others at home so a 10 inch is already too small for most of my needs in fact I need a 14in one preferably.

Good deal either way though if you cook for just yourself or 2-3 people.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah just going to be for 1-2 people, really. Still a beginner cook and I plan on trying the basics with it. What does a stainless pain excel at? I figure chicken, fish, and sauteing should be alright.

Zyzyxxz

I never used stainless steel for fish. At my old job I use to only use blue carbon steel pans.

I mean you could if you want to get a nice sear but try it with a small piece of fish first.

Honestly I think a stainless steel pan is better than a cast iron in regards to being lighter and much easier to clean. You have to baby a cast iron and can't use soap nor a steel wool.

Sure it holds heat very well and sears nicely but the advantages aren't very obvious to me, despite that I still use one almost everyday until I save up money for a nice 14" SS pan.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well you can't really use a stainless steel pan for steaks. You need a really hot pan for a steak and that will burn a stainless steel pan.

I'll be buying a carbon steel pan soon though...you can use that for steaks.

thespot84

Well you can't really use a stainless steel pan for steaks. You need a really hot pan for a steak and that will burn a stainless steel pan.

I'll be buying a carbon steel pan soon though...you can use that for steaks.

i usually use cast iron. I even have one with grill marks :D

Zyzyxxz

Yeah I've got a cast iron pan I use for steaks. Been wanting to try a carbon steel pan though. :p

Carbon steel is the best of both worlds it's relatively lightweight in between SS and cast iron seasons somewhat but will never get as well seasoned as a cast iron. Holds plenty of heat for searing.

trilobyte

Hey guys,

I really really want to get serious about learning how to cook. I'm in a position where I need to buy some new pots/and/pans but I don't know where to start. Is there a necessary combo I should use? What types of pots/pans are good for certain types of cooking?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hey guys,

I really really want to get serious about learning how to cook. I'm in a position where I need to buy some new pots/and/pans but I don't know where to start. Is there a necessary combo I should use? What types of pots/pans are good for certain types of cooking?

I'd get a set of Ikea 365 pots:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/cooking/20633/
a non stick skillet from Tefal or even an Ikea one too, as well as a cast iron skillet. don't go cheap on this one.

MrBig

Since I haven't had success with cookies that use flour, I decided to completely forgo it for once
IMG_2439.jpg

Cocoa, sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I know this is a random food question, but you guys have any good hot dog topping ideas/recipes? Not difficult, but I usually grab turkey sausages every weekend as they are pretty healthy and need some fresh ideas... :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know this is a random food question, but you guys have any good hot dog topping ideas/recipes? Not difficult, but I usually grab turkey sausages every weekend as they are pretty healthy and need some fresh ideas... :p

Jalapenos, sauerkraut, hot peppers, mango salsa, chili, salad w/ vinaigrette, guacamole.

Various cheeses(smoked ones (butterkase) works really well depending on if you've buttered the bun for a toast and such for instance), accordion fries (seriously, don't ask me how these work better than other ones---they just do!), olive or hemp oil, vindaloo,...

I've always wanted to get my hands on a pretzel bun for one, but have yet to come across any.

Caramelized onion and mayonaise. Sounds gross but oh so good!

Made this for dinner a week ago: egg and slow cooked green beans (fasolakia) on fried polenta:
7030175829_dc6473e796.jpg

Next time, I'm going to cook the green beans in the slow cooker. It took FOREVER on the stove top. At least with the slow cooker, I can "set it and forget it".

Dinner prep on a separate night:

I guess it was a good dinner because we forgot to take pictures of the finished product.

My main contribution was the fish. I seared it skin-side down on the stove, then put it into the oven at low temp (225F) for 25 minutes. I like this way of cooking fish because the texture gets SO GOOD. It's cooked, but has an almost raw-fish tender texture. Before plating, I topped it with some scalding hot scallion and ginger oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom