• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
burger1.jpg

Damn you...not the thing I want/need to see while on a cutting diet.

Beef stew. IMO the best thing on earth. We call it Yaprari the broth has all the beef goodness inside and its black from the tamarind paste and pomegranate molasses which makes it perfectly sour.

You piqued my interest. I love (beef) stews and powerful broths. Google is unfamiliar with "yaprari". I'm really curious to know where it's from.
One of my favorite broths is Indonesian oxtail soup. It's cooked for a very long time with nutmeg and cloves. The sour element is simply added by a freshly cut lemon or lime which is pressed out before serving.

You piqued my interest. I love (beef) stews and powerful broths. Google is unfamiliar with "yaprari". I'm really curious to know where it's from.
One of my favorite broths is Indonesian oxtail soup. It's cooked for a very long time with nutmeg and cloves. The sour element is simply added by a freshly cut lemon or lime which is pressed out before serving.

It's from north Azerbaijan. The tamarind and pomegranate molasses gives the broth a full bodied taste that just puts the entire dish together. The sourness is what makes it. When I tell people that it's sour they think that beef flavor and sourness don't go together but onces they try it they are hooked. That soup you mentioned sounds good too, i love oxtail. I used that and bone marrow in my last batch i made.

This is the tamarind paste I use
tamarind-product.jpg

And the pomegranate mollases.
pomegranatemolasses.jpg

I also have another beef soup I make it's on page 243.

I'm from the same place as soccergoaliepro and I can vouche that the food of which he is speaking, is the best. I don't even eat BBQ without pomegranate molasses as you north americans would call it.

Underused ingredient.

MrBig

Planted a new herb garden, since I'm going to be moving to an apartment this summer and wanted to stock on herbs and dry them out.

IMG_2480.jpg

A bunch of onions, a few types of peppers, parsley, cilantro, tarragon, thyme, basil, and then I have some oregano and a tomato plant in pots above.

My attempts at controlling the mint in my last garden failed and it overtook everything; now i bought some peppermint and have it growing in a pot on my desk.

IMG_2482.jpg

Rosemary is still going strong :)

Got pizza dough in the fridge to make a pie tomorrow as well

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Planted a new herb garden, since I'm going to be moving to an apartment this summer and wanted to stock on herbs and dry them out.

pic

A bunch of onions, a few types of peppers, parsley, cilantro, tarragon, thyme, basil, and then I have some oregano and a tomato plant in pots above.

My attempts at controlling the mint in my last garden failed and it overtook everything; now i bought some peppermint and have it growing in a pot on my desk.

pic

Rosemary is still going strong :)

How pretty! I really need to grow some fresh herbs.

Loofy

Had these in a restaurant the other day. Crispy mashed potatoes.
l.jpg

Its mashed potatoes inside the spring roll wrapper. And it was... amazing.

PG2G

Ugh all those places are so far from me though that's what I hate. Living in the SGV = great Chinese food but not much else.

Haha yes, and I have the opposite problem. I loooove chinese food, but it is TERRIBLE on the west side. You hitting the 626 Night Market? I wanted to go but I have a feeling its going to be ridiculous.

kudos.

Going to New York City soon.
Thinking of going to Per Se or Blue Hill. Any recommendations for restaurants below $50 or so a cover?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
First time I cooked ribs, and it was a great success!

Fall of the bone orange-ginger beef back ribs, with thym sprinkled sweet potatos. So good.

IjXd8.jpg

Kyoufu

^^ That looks great.

I bought sweet potatoes but I've never tried them. Think I might do tomorrow. Are they just as good as regular potatoes?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
^^ That looks great.

I bought sweet potatoes but I've never tried them. Think I might do tomorrow. Are they just as good as regular potatoes?

They are much better than regular potatoes IMO. Sweet potato french fries are great, or baked sweet potato with smoked salmon.

I often cut it up like in the picture above, and baked them mix with onions, paprika, thym and salt.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The beef ribs look really good. Care to share a recipe?

Sure here it is: http://steamykitchen.com/66-baby-back-ribs-with-asian-orange-ginger-glaze.html

Probably supposed to use pork baby back ribs, but I used beef, which are big bones with lots of meat.

Easy to do if I managed to do it:p

edit: Also, not sure if you cooked ribs before, but I was really surprised when I opened the tin foil. It didn't look anything like what I originally put in there. I don't even recall seeing a bone sticking out like you see in the picture, it looked much flatter overall, and then when I opened the foil I was like "holy shit, it looks like actual ribs!". So don't be surprised when you buy the back ribs at the store. And something not mentioned on the recipe's site is that I removed as much of the thick white thingy on the back but not enough to remove any meat (I guess it's fat). The fat melts off and stays under the ribs in the foil anyway.

Oh and I didn't have mirin, I had something branded as "mirin-like sauce". And no yuzu, only lemon juice. And I only had like 0.8lbs of ribs, not 4lbs, but I only cut the ingredients sizing in half not 1/4.

Zyzyxxz

Haha yes, and I have the opposite problem. I loooove chinese food, but it is TERRIBLE on the west side. You hitting the 626 Night Market? I wanted to go but I have a feeling its going to be ridiculous.

Had work but I heard it was stupid crowded.

Zyzyxxz

Re: Kalbi Burgers, what differentiates them from a "regular" burger?

MrBig: wonderful herb garden.

Korean flavors that's about it. There's a very large Korean population in Los Angeles so it's not unusual to see Korean influence branching out to other forms of food.

.hacked

wife and I had our 1st big cake delivery yesterday. I think it turned out great, we got lots of exposure and people loved it.

NbMWC.jpg

All that work, but it was delicious!

Az78O.jpg

MrBig

How pretty! I really need to grow some fresh herbs.

Yeah, its great going out there and grabbing some rosemary for a marinade or some parsley (before the mint ate it) for some garnish. I've already got two large sauce jars filled with dried rosemary sprigs; the yield from those two plants when I harvest them again will probably last me a few years, and rosemary is by far my favorite thing to added to any meal :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys what does it mean when it says "green scallions sections"? It's not minced, which is later in the recipe I'm following.

edit: I guess it just means long chopped pieces.

CrankyJay

Banned
You know you want it. They cook it medium rare too... here's the money shot.

20100922-kalbiburger-innards.jpg

This will sound crazy, but I have started eating my burgers medium (even though I prefer my steaks medium rare). Just a texture thing...plus sometimes medium rare tends to bleed out on the buns, but that burger right there looks perfect.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't tend to contribute very much here anymore because I'm so busy with school and work and not getting enough sleep, and when I cook, it's almost always the basics. Today was a rare day off, so this was an opportunity to make one of my simple favorites: a whole roasted chicken, a big pan of caramelized onions, and some drop biscuits.

IMG_0469.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks tasty. I rarely managed to get the chicken looking that crisp, and the inside of the chicken is still too moist, so I remove the skin now.

I did slow-cooked salmon again tonight, this time: ginger and scallion bed, salt+pepper+brown sugar seasoning. It was great, there is no other way to cook salmon for me anymore, and it comes out looking so nice, as if it hadn't cook, yet it IS cooked.

I really recommend that anyone who likes salmon tries this:

1- Turn on oven at 250F, leave it on for 20 mins.
2- On foil, make a bed of whatever you want, such as onions and orange slices, ginger and scallions, whatever.
3- Season your salmon as desired.
4- Put in oven for 30mins.
5- Remove and add whatever toppings you want.

Don't play around with the temp or timing, do exactly that, it is amazing!

Zyzyxxz

I don't tend to contribute very much here anymore because I'm so busy with school and work and not getting enough sleep, and when I cook, it's almost always the basics. Today was a rare day off, so this was an opportunity to make one of my simple favorites: a whole roasted chicken, a big pan of caramelized onions, and some drop biscuits.

IMG_0469.jpg

Looks great!

Stalfos

I recently ate at Diablo Burger in Flagstaff, AZ on a trip to the Grand Canyon and it's forever changed my definition of the perfect burger.

I've been to Flagstaff a couple time in the last year or two and I thought about going to Diablo Burger but never made it. The second trip I think we decided the line looked too long. I'll definitely have to check it out next time I'm there.

mclaren777

This makes me really want to try a burger on an English muffin.

It was really quite remarkable, and the two women I ate there with (my wife and her friend) have both started making homemade English muffins now.

It's only a matter of time before we try to recreate the burger in all its majesty. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
More ribs!

Last time was asian-style sweet and sour fall-of-the-bone ribs, tonight was chewy bite-it-hard-and-pull paprika-cinnamon-cayenne-garlic-mapple ribs. So good.

qzu1v.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm trying! Only had success since a few days now:p What helped was finding easy stuff to do, well detailed, and sticking to the recipe as close as possible.

Tomorrow is just fish with white wine and caper sauce, we'll see how that turns out.

How about some dessert? Just made a walnut cake, found the recipe on Bon Appetit; by Nadine Redzepi (wife of Rene Redzepi, chef at Noma)

Walnut Cake (Best served cold)

18–24 SERVINGS

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
6 tablespoons raw sugar, divided
7 cups walnut halves
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups almond flour or almond meal
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 13x9x2" metal or glass baking dish; sprinkle bottom evenly with 3 Tbsp. raw sugar. Set aside.
Pulse walnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Set 2 cups aside. Add all-purpose flour to processor and pulse until walnuts are very finely ground, 1–2 minutes. Add almond flour; pulse to blend. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 2–3 minutes. Add eggs, cream, yogurt, and salt. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean (reserve bean for another use). Beat until well combined, 1–2 minutes. Add ground-walnut mixture and beat just to blend. Gently fold in chopped walnuts, being careful not to overmix. Pour batter into prepared dish; smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining 3 Tbsp. raw sugar.
Bake until cooked through and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream.

Vanilla Bean seeded, these suckers are expensive. Ten dollars for one!

Topped with brown sugar.

Couldn't resist, looking forward to this tomorrow morning with some coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom