• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiJoccin

red wine braised short ribs? Use the cheapest red wine you can find, that myth of only using good wine for cooking is untrue for the most part.

I have 2 month old (opened) red wine sitting in the fridge... would that work? or just get 3 buck chuck from trader joe's?

BTW I baked some sliced sweet potato and it's the second time I notice a bunch of tiny black spots on the flesh (not the exterior of the potato but literally inside it). What is that? I don't feel like eating it. I hate wasting money on bad food. It's already expensive enough.

Was it in a ring around the slices? I'm guessing it was caramelized/burnt?... juice? A picture or more descriptions would probably help the more experienced around here help you out

jet1911

Made some chiken breast stuffed with cream cheese, cranberries and wrapped in bacon tonight.

005_resizejhz7o.jpg

I poached the chicken for almost 1 hour.

008_resizekazxb.jpg

009_resize4eand.jpg

011_resizeloxsp.jpg

Served it with a mix of sweet and normal potatoes with a cranberries and maple sauce. The chicken was really moist.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What do you guys put on chicken drumsticks when baking? 3 of my weeknight meals are usually baked chicken drumsticks and I've just been doing olive oil, salt, and pepper. Any good sauces or rubs I should try?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Keen: Those pasta look tasty. Doesn't look like the carbonara I know (usually a mixture of parmesan and bacon), but it looks tasty!

Was it in a ring around the slices? I'm guessing it was caramelized/burnt?... juice? A picture or more descriptions would probably help the more experienced around here help you out

No it was multiple tiny black spots. I saw that on an uncooked one after slicing it once, but when cooked it shows even more.

What do you guys put on chicken drumsticks when baking? 3 of my weeknight meals are usually baked chicken drumsticks and I've just been doing olive oil, salt, and pepper. Any good sauces or rubs I should try?

Not sure but for chicken thighs I like to remove the skin, and bake them covered in masala sauce. You can mix yogurt with the masala too. Chicken thighs are pretty cheap so I eat them more often now.

jet1911

Looks amazing. Recipe?

Seconded. Also, any alternatives to cranberries?

I knew I should have took more pictures, it would be easier than trying to explain with my poor english! :p

Ha! Found a video of the technique! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6y7imPNcQc

Dont forget to add salt and pepper before putting your stuffing of choice on the chicken. You can put anything you want, goat cheese and apricot could be really good. Or vegetables. Go with what you have in your fridge. :p

After that just put some bacon slice on a piece of saran wrap and roll the chicken.

Great rolling technique... I could never get it right when I had to roll octopus roulades at my last job = chef yelling at me :(

Never tried rolling octopus but I guess chicken is easier because it's a bit more "sticky". And to be honest it's the first time my roulade looked as good as this. ;)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone knows of a good recipe site that isn't a recipe aggregator?

I got gilttaste.com and steamykitchen.com

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thanks for all the links, I'll have plenty to keep me occupied!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm going to try this one out today. What should I add to the dish? Was thinking of a simple pasta but I'm not sure what kind of sauce and ingredients would fit with the slow-cooked salmon.

Not sure what to serve it with, but in terms of seasoning and such, I did as on the page. I like both the coriander/onion/oranges/mint one (can add some capers as topping), and also the sugar/ginger/scallions one.

It's really easy to make. Make sure you leave the oven on first for 20 mins.

BTW guys, I have a lot of bones left every time I make ribs. Can I put them in the fridge and keep them until the weekend to make broth? There's still some cartilage and meat bits on them but I'm thinking it would be fine if I put them in the fridge till then?

And is it ok to mix pork/beef/chicken bones when making broth?

Zyzyxxz

Since my new job is slow right now I've just been testing recipes at work to add to our menu.

I know this is a plug for my new job but if you guys are in the area please come by since I am in charge of the menu here!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-house-bar-monterey-park

Pork slider - patty is mix of ground pork and Chinese red cooked pork belly topped with a quail egg, pickled onions, and the braising liquid as a glaze.
6992205056_f517520cca_z.jpg

Slice lotus root chips dusted with seaweed, sesame seed, salt, and sugar.
7138287379_4dfe329a9d_c.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good stovetop smoker? Living in the NYC area, I don't really have the space for a smoker and wanted to know if there were any recommendations on what's a good smoker to get. Or if I shouldn't waste my time and just get a portable smoker.

Here's my first food picture in this thread, not nearly as good looking as others.

NY strip topped with a compound butter and side of brown rice. I used the 1 hour salting technique, steak turned out amazing, so juicy and flavorful.

GoCPa.jpg

Slice lotus root chips dusted with seaweed, sesame seed, salt, and sugar.
7138287379_4dfe329a9d_c.jpg

Those lotus chips are like crack! I think I pretty much at a whole bowl by myself.

bucknuticus: nice steak! How's that berry beer? Sounds weird.

I've been busy with work and forgot to go grocery shopping so I had to make do with a week old half head of cauliflower. Luckily, I had some arugula in the back yard and tempeh bacon in the fridge. Turned it into a quick skillet dish:

0469f51095a511e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg

cauliflower with harissa

bucknuticus: nice steak! How's that berry beer? Sounds weird.

It's really good, more of a beer to just drink while sitting on the porch, didnt go real well with dinner. I have been mixing it with Leineekugle's summer shandy, which is a weiss beery with lemonade. Makes it into a great pink lemonade beer thats really refreshing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Made some sardines for the first time. Just baked with chopped garlic, olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and salt. Takes time to clean them up but it's really tasty and cheap. Also roasted a garlic bulb:) The tomato was just filled with random stuff I had in the fridge (rosemary, red onions, feta, bell pepper, scallions).

AnpQO.jpg

Tomorrow I might make braised beef shank, which is based on this braised lamb shank recipe. Couldn't find lamb shank, and lamb in general seemed expensive:( I'm curious about those sherry-soaked raisins added to the roast.

Zyzyxxz

This easy to make?

Yes incredibly easy but don't tell everyone or else people would stop buying them... then again we only sell it for $2 a plate.

Basically lotus roots thinly sliced with a mandoline about the thickness of a quarter.

Deep fry at 350 F-ish until it starts to brown and there are no more bubbles coming out (meaning most of the water has cooked out).

Dust with furikake while still hot (you can buy these at any Asian market it's just seaweed with spices, I'm not giving out my recipe).

As for more cooking: Salad of marinated grilled tofu, yuzu marinated jicama, orange, pickled radish, mache

Now we have a nice vegan option for people!

6ea109a8968d11e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

zUup8.jpg

Cheese: Sierra Nevada Company Garlic & Herb Organic Creamy Jack Cheese Well, this stuff lives up to the name pretty perfectly. Quick melt, no oil, a bit more herb comes through than garlic though.

Crumble: Terra Zesty Tomato Meh, somehow salt came through more than anything else really.

Sauce: Australian Awesome Steak Sauce Yes, that is the actual name of it and it is indeed awesome.

i bought an ice cream maker for the summer. tried making 2 raspberry ice cream (cream based) and it well had too much cream taste to it lol. never tried the custard based yet. afraid it'll taste like eggs.

tried a strawberry sorbet. a bit too sweet. but then again. i followed the first recipe i saw which happened to be from Paula Deen lol. will just stop using guides and do my own thing ;P

540263_10101354731953335_23441808_64465883_1498736771_n.jpg

GiJoccin

i bought an ice cream maker for the summer. tried making 2 raspberry ice cream (cream based) and it well had too much cream taste to it lol. never tried the custard based yet. afraid it'll taste like eggs.

tried a strawberry sorbet. a bit too sweet. but then again. i followed the first recipe i saw which happened to be from Paula Deen lol. will just stop using guides and do my own thing ;P

540263_10101354731953335_23441808_64465883_1498736771_n.jpg

egg based are best based... i've never had an eggy tasting ice cream

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Go to the library, find Johnny Iuzzini's 'Dessert Fourplay' and jot down his recipe for basic frozen custard. It's the best ice cream you will ever eat in your life.

thespot84

the remnants of some meatball sliders I made for a dinner party friday:
IMG_20120504_202134.jpg

Meatball (with a bit of chorizo), swiss, arugula, and tomato sauce (i was in a hurry so just used store bought) on a potato bun. They were a hit and very easy to make (made 22 in under an hour)

Hi,

my first post here and i made cake today :)

it's a "Norddeutscher Rhabarberkuchen mit Baiserhaube"
(rhubarb tart with meringue)

.pettersson

The Hermit

Just wanted to post in the best Gaf thread ever. :D

Congrats Onkel and everyone posting in this thread... when I live by myself (hopefully next year) I will start posting my own dishes.

Cheers!

I can't believe I made that post 4 years ago! :O
Anyway, I finally left my parents house and I will start to use the recipes of this thread... I'll update when I do something worthy posting. Cheers!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
the remnants of some meatball sliders I made for a dinner party friday:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eIQeD-So1AY/T6SOuHWHahI/AAAAAAAABeo/_5koZMJMeHI/s1127/IMG_20120504_202134.jpg/IMG]

Meatball (with a bit of chorizo), swiss, arugula, and tomato sauce (i was in a hurry so just used store bought) on a potato bun. They were a hit and very easy to make (made 22 in under an hour)[/QUOTE]

I love putting a bit of chorizo in my meatballs it gives them just a little more pizzazz and usually keeps people guessing what that extra bit of flavor is.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
There's a rad diner here that makes a 1lb burger with half chorizo, topped with fried jalapenos and black beans along with the other usual assorted fixin's. It's pretty :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom