• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

You're the source for KevinEats actually. You posted a link to his blog every now and then and I've been hooked, thanks!

Also...What does he do for a living?!?!?!

No idea just know that his job requires him to travel occasionally as his only reason to eat outside of LA and OC.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
You're the source for KevinEats actually. You posted a link to his blog every now and then and I've been hooked, thanks!

Also...What does he do for a living?!?!?!

Check out Epicuryan as well. He eats with KevinEats, so there is a lot of overlap. But he takes much much better pictures.

edit: changed to correct name. Thanks Zyzyxxz

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
You mean Epicuryan? Yeah I read his as well, he updates more frequently and travels a lot more as well it seems.

Shit, thanks! :D

I also follow a bunch of Swedish blogs, but they mostly write in swedish so unless you just want to look at the pictures they are of limited interest to most of you :) Let me know if you want some links.

Also, is there a good tool for keeping track of blogs and their updates? Right now I just have a huge bookmark folder, and it's kinda a pain in the ass to keep track of.

mclaren777

I hate to cook but I love my wife, so I made the easiest thing I could...

Beef stew!

timestew.gif

We usually grow around 50-75 bulbs a year but we're up in Maine so the scapes won't be ready until the middle of the summer almost. You can make a lovely pesto with them, or you can saute them and serve them with whatever--we put ours on pizza.

LME20.jpg

Don't be like me kids, save yourself the suffering of this----I'll take that hit for you all.

Crumble: New York Style Garlic Parmesan Herb Pita Chips Nicely seasoned, maybe a tad salt heavy.

Cheese: Ski Queen GJETOST NEVER AGAIN---this thing is a monster. Sure, it technically melts in place and doesn't reek or anything. But the taste, the horrid void of a taste where it isn't exactly so much "horrible" as that with each bite a sense of "something is damn missing from this" and a sense of getting more and more pissed off as you continue to try and figure this out in vain. I'd be afraid to chuck this thing in the fireplace for fear of it releasing evil spirits.

Win some, lose some tremendously----next week should be better alongside a meat refresh.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just made some more ribs, this time slow-cooked pork ribs. First time making them (no picture sorry). I prefer the beef ribs, but one thing I really like with the pork ribs is that the bones become edible, I can literally eat the bones full of bone marrow, not just the bone marrow itself. Delicious! Beef bones remain hard so I can't eat them.

CrankyJay

Banned
Made my finest braised shortribs yet yesterday...this is like my 8th attempt and I'm just getting better at it.

Next time I'm going to try throwing in some beef oxtails as well and reducing the red wine a bit more.

Served it over steamed brown rice to sop up the broth/sauce. Leftovers tonight!

Just ate an incredible cheddar ale soup for lunch and I'd like to make myself some time. Anyone have recipes for it (or a similar soup) that they really like?

This summer I have made a goal to cook more for myself, and make elaborate meals!
I wanted to start eating a bit of red meat, because I usually tend to avoid it, choosing chicken and seafood instead.

Now I want steak, veal, lamb etc.

I know I like Filet Mignon, but thats about all I know about the different cuts and tastes of steak. I've checked online for some info and just cant find anything worth while.

Any recommendations as to what are some of the best, and more worthwhile cuts of meat to buy?

Stalfos

This summer I have made a goal to cook more for myself, and make elaborate meals!
I wanted to start eating a bit of red meat, because I usually tend to avoid it, choosing chicken and seafood instead.

Now I want steak, veal, lamb etc.

I know I like Filet Mignon, but thats about all I know about the different cuts and tastes of steak. I've checked online for some info and just cant find anything worth while.

Any recommendations as to what are some of the best, and more worthwhile cuts of meat to buy?

If you are looking for a steak the some of the best cuts are the filet, new york strip, and ribeye.

FINALLY FOUND SOME HARISSA! 27 years old and finally catching up on what many grew up with as a given.

IronGAF: Am I supposed to put this in the fridge after opening it or not? This particular one was from out on a normal shelf, in a box, with the paste itself being contained in a metal tube.

All instructions are in French/Arabic with the only English being an ingredient translation...so yeah....

Zyzyxxz

FINALLY FOUND SOME HARISSA! 27 years old and finally catching up on what many grew up with as a given.

IronGAF: Am I supposed to put this in the fridge after opening it or not? This particular one was from out on a normal shelf, in a box, with the paste itself being contained in a metal tube.

All instructions are in French/Arabic with the only English being an ingredient translation...so yeah....

After opening yes. It can normally stay in the tube for years because all the all is normally sealed like canned foods but once you open the tube and expose it to air the clock starts ticking.

Awesome, will do and thanks for the head's up. Will probably give it the first shot on this Saturday's pizza doings...

Couldn't come up with a damn thing locally on my hunt for Piri Piri or Reggae Reggae sauce though, this was pretty much the backup plan. Bah, guess I'd have to shoot for an internet order like the Argan oil.

I like putting the paste out of the can into a ziplock bag, make kinda flatish, and then freezing it. Then, whenever you need a little, you can break off a piece and use it.

Ecrofirt

So, I got a new roasting rack for my 22.5" Weber charcoal grill in the mail today.

I thought it was the perfect opportunity to grill a nice pork roast with some good indirect heating action. So that's what I did.

Here's a 4lb boneless pork butt roast covered in Carolina bbq rub, and then wrapped in bacon. I grilled it for 3 hours and 15 minutes. It was wonderful.

izU6ZeJ5NCl7S.JPG

ibwpFeHYDHgegv.JPG

iGWnSG5Wc4FWG.JPG

i76P7ABeD3g0r.JPG

iDIfEqXgstiVo.JPG

Zyzyxxz

So, I got a new roasting rack for my 22.5" Weber charcoal grill in the mail today.]

That roast looks amazing. I'm planning on buying the Weber Performer with the gas ignition sometime in the near future. Can't wait to go back to charcoal grilling, gas just ain't that great nor is it significantly more convenient.

Ecrofirt

heeeey, long time no see! good you're back. Nice roast as well.

I've never really left, I just don't post often. However, this is one of my most frequented threads ;)

Problem is, I never think about taking pictures of what I've cooked. I usually don't remember it until *after* I've eaten the food. Oops.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Has anyone ever tried Qdoba's Ancho Chili BBQ sauce? I had it for the first time last night and it was REALLY good, if not just a bit salty.

I'd love to try and make some of that sauce but I'm not too sure where to start. Anyone?

Sure I could google it and pick up some recipes but I'm just wondering if any of my GAF brethren have made it before and have any suggested recipes.

A5QlV.jpg

Yay!

Cheese: Cave Brothers Les Freres Memorable for being the thing closest to Blarney Castle since, well, Blarney Castle---very similar spongy feel though just a tick softer. Before really tearing into it, you'd half suspect it to be more like a Brie. Melts into shimmering smooth puddles, slim to no oil, and has this oddly distinctive mouth feel such that it kinda "grips" the inside of your mouth.

Crumble: Smartfood Selects Garlic Tomato Basil Hummus Popped Chips Hummus Chips that are also Popped---how could I possible lose? The answer being, of course, I didn't! Not quite up to the level of obsession I have for those Simply 7 Bruschetta, but the seasonings really came through nicely.

Meat: Applegate Farm's Salametti Eh, works for me. No particular seasoning kick, no abundance of oil, no casing to hassle, just a nicely mild meat for the mix.

I smeared a tad of the Harissa along the side not really knowing what to expect save guessing it would be kind of like a thicker Sriracha given the ingredients to this particular one----was OK though I really don't think I put enough to properly reckon. Next time it will adorn this mild Salametti methinks. Probably give it a proper round via rubbing it into the lamb shoulder in a week or so instead of my beloved Tiger Tiger Vindaloo for a change then see from there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
When I make slow-cooked beef ribs (3 hours in tinfoil at 300F), they come out melt-in-your-mouth tender.

I'm wondering, would it give me the same tenderness with other parts of beef? Something thick ideally, like 2" or so.

Zyzyxxz

When I make slow-cooked beef ribs (3 hours in tinfoil at 300F), they come out melt-in-your-mouth tender.

I'm wondering, would it give me the same tenderness with other parts of beef? Something thick ideally, like 2" or so.

Beef cheeks are really good because of the good amount of fat in them! If you can find a ethnic grocer see if you can get it from there since it will be cheap.

Also chuck is generally considered good for braising but then again isn't that special. Try out beef shank with the bone, that marrow filled center will help to make the braising liquid extra special.

Woo hoo!

Thanks to a wonderful overstock error, mom was able to snag what is usually a good bit of Quinoa for relatively a lot of money in the form of only about 2 servings worth of Quinoa for $3!

So...what's the score on cooking this stuff up proper----closer to Rice doings, Cous Cous wranglings, Farro trappings, something else entirely?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Woo hoo!

Thanks to a wonderful overstock error, mom was able to snag what is usually a good bit of Quinoa for relatively a lot of money in the form of only about 2 servings worth of Quinoa for $3!

So...what's the score on cooking this stuff up proper----closer to Rice doings, Cous Cous wranglings, Farro trappings, something else entirely?

Here's how I cook it: rinse off the quinoa a lot(the stuff I get seems to be pretty dirty), cover with the amount of water similar to when cooking rice, and I cook it like rice, bring to a boil and turn down. Usually takes about 15 minutes, when you see little squiggles in it it is done!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Beef cheeks are really good because of the good amount of fat in them! If you can find a ethnic grocer see if you can get it from there since it will be cheap.

Also chuck is generally considered good for braising but then again isn't that special. Try out beef shank with the bone, that marrow filled center will help to make the braising liquid extra special.

I really need to find a better place than the nearby grocery store for meat, it's pretty expensive there. But I'll give it a shot with beef shank!

Woo hoo!

Quinoa risotto.

BTW I baked some sliced sweet potato and it's the second time I notice a bunch of tiny black spots on the flesh (not the exterior of the potato but literally inside it). What is that? I don't feel like eating it. I hate wasting money on bad food. It's already expensive enough.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Recent meals!

Pan-fried salmon

9MPJ1l.jpg

Spaghetti Carbonara

Jgxrvl.jpg

Braised pork belly stir fried with szechuan and other spices.

dqcGOl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom