• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I have a couple of questions as someone trying to start cooking for myself more often. Up until now I've always either lived at home, or had roommates, but now I'm finally moving into my own apartment and I need to actually get better at this. Growing up my family ate out a lot, so I didn't exactly have someone to watch or learn from in the kitchen, so I'm appealing to y'all.

1. What are the essential kitchen tools I'll need to get started? (good pan and knife recommendations, etc) I'm somewhat of a minimalist, so I value having a small number of high-quality items that can be used in a variety of situations rather than a ton of tools that are highly specialized and used for very specific purposes.

2. What are some basic cooking skills that I should know (ex: knife skills, etc) and what are good resources for learning these?

Thanks.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I have a couple of questions as someone trying to start cooking for myself more often. Up until now I've always either lived at home, or had roommates, but now I'm finally moving into my own apartment and I need to actually get better at this. Growing up my family ate out a lot, so I didn't exactly have someone to watch or learn from in the kitchen, so I'm appealing to y'all.

1. What are the essential kitchen tools I'll need to get started? (good pan and knife recommendations, etc) I'm somewhat of a minimalist, so I value having a small number of high-quality items that can be used in a variety of situations rather than a ton of tools that are highly specialized and used for very specific purposes.

2. What are some basic cooking skills that I should know (ex: knife skills, etc) and what are good resources for learning these?

Thanks.

The OP here has some good information!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460700

Maiar_m

c4cd92f2987111e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

Sorry for the crappy Instagram picture, but Pork, spring onions and cheese baozis!

wihio

just discovered this thread... thanks for the inspiration! I just bought a 3 lb bison brisket from a local rancher and am excited to cook it up soon. Any recommendations?

jet1911

Do you guys have any recommendations for a website or a book about how to plate a dish to make it look good? It's one of the thing I'd like to improve at work this summer.

I've become pretty obsessed with making fried rice with veggies lately. Here's my fav, brown rice with some shredded carrot, mushrooms and an egg.

^-- It's not fried rice till you add in scallions! Yum. Also, make sure you're using day-old (refrigerated) rice. It keeps its texture a lot better.

Made a dinner to celebrate spring!

Scrambled eggs with fresh morels, The Chards sautéed with preserved meyer lemons, baby zucchini from the garden topped with parsley pesto, and fingerling potatoes.

6wK5P.jpg

Nothing elaborate, just tasty!

Cheese: New Zealand Grassfed Cheddar Oily, melts decently enough in place, yet another real solid cheddar.

Crumble: Smartfood Selects Feta Herb Hummus Popped Chips Not quite as good as the last from this outfit, but still solidly seasoned and paired well enough with the mild oily goodness of the above.

Zyzyxxz

Working on a house burger at work. I'm sticking to the classic California guacamole bacon cheeseburger. Only Asian influence will probably be the yuzu guacamole and possibly mizuna for the greens.

Used angus chuck and added in extra fat to make sure it's juicy.
7184389860_1005262375_c.jpg

7184389732_a756486054_c.jpg

7184389582_dbe0a3c209_c.jpg

to be continued...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Working on a house burger at work. I'm sticking to the classic California guacamole bacon cheeseburger. Only Asian influence will probably be the yuzu guacamole and possibly mizuna for the greens.

Used angus chuck and added in extra fat to make sure it's juicy.

7184389582_dbe0a3c209_c.jpg

to be continued...

Ooh, looking forward to the result!

DyonPT, beautiful pics and dessert as always!

I made that cheddar beer soup that onkel linked to and took a bunch of pics but my computer broke so no pics right now. The soup turned out really well though. Very tasty although next time I'd like to try a different cheese and a richer, more tangy ale (used Sam Adams this time). I think sautéed onions instead of leeks might be a welcome change too. Does anyone else enjoy tweaking recipes as much as trying a new one?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I made that cheddar beer soup that onkel linked to and took a bunch of pics but my computer broke so no pics right now. The soup turned out really well though. Very tasty although next time I'd like to try a different cheese and a richer, more tangy ale (used Sam Adams this time). I think sautéed onions instead of leeks might be a welcome change too. Does anyone else enjoy tweaking recipes as much as trying a new one?
that's the heart of cooking, actually. :)

PG2G

to be continued...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:p

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz, you should grind the beef probably once more, looks quite coarse in the last pic.

I was experimenting and actually used the coarser grate, I'll use the one with smaller holes next time. Then again I don't know what I'm using for the final product, the boss will buy me some good quality pre-ground beef frolm his suppliers who can get us really good quality. If it's good then I don't have to grind my own beef.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:p

Sorry it's a California classic.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think I saw this posted in IronGAF somewhere but maybe not. I read a blog post on Steamy Kitchen about slow cooking salmon. I've never tried slow cooking it before so I figured I would give it a shot. Turned out awesome. Best salmon I can remember having. Of course I forgot to snap a shot of it finished but it basically looked exactly the same as this before pic.

xsNuMl.jpg

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

Link? That sounds amazing.

totowhoa

Banned
Man I haven't posted in this thread for a couple of months. Part of the reason has been camera issues. So here's some stuff that I've cooked recently, and everything was taken with an iPhone, so excuse the the look :) I have almost no windows in my house (A-frame triplex, yikes) so getting natural light is impossible, and I also don't have access to photo editing software (gimp's not working on my computer), so I can't nudge the hue or anything to make it appear more accurate. A few came out looking pretty darn accurate, though.

Now that school is done I have taken the time to finally upload the photos and whatnot. I'll also be able to cook more! The last couple of weeks I've only been cooking two or three times per week with the end-of-semester load. I'm excited to start eating less garbage now.

Quoting all photos because I didn't bother to resize them :p

First up: roast duck. My first time to cook duck! It was great. It was on sale for $2.50/lb which is a good price where I live, so I bought two. I've yet to cook the second, but I will soon. This was some of the best poultry I've ever had. Took a bit of time to research cooking it properly, and it came out gloriously. It was a surprise dinner for my fiance when she got off work for no particular reason. It was made with a ginger/honey/citrus glaze. I roasted some brussels sprouts and a rice pilaf with almonds, dried cranberries, and a bit of orange zest.

Pork tacos. I believe we made this with boneless rib meat. The salsa was made with pineapple and radish among other things. They were tasty, but not traditional in the least.

Crab, ribeye steak, and root veggies (and a bit of mushroom with the steak). It was great, and it was my first time to have crab in a few years. I think I'm hooked again, I plan on having it once a month or so now :)

I decided to make granola bars for the first time. I was lacking a key ingredient or two, but after sifting through literally dozens of recipes, I was able to create a Frankenstein recipe that turned into these no-bake granola bars. A bit of peanut butter in there, honey, oats/granola/corn flakes, almond, and white chocolate drizzle on top. Took about 5 min to make and 30 min to set. These were awesome for taking to class daily and they were dirt cheap compared to store-bought bars, and they turned out great!

Salmon fillets! With honey-glazed fennel and tart apple. I've made a lot of salmon recipes and this was definitely in my top 3. The asparagus was just simple seasoned and broiled asparagus with a vermouth/browned butter sauce.

My first time having figs! They were great. This is chicken roasted with figs, crumbled bacon, and some garlic. The asparagus is the same as above (this was the firs time we'd had it... in the previous photo we were trying it for the second time with a slight alteration). The figs and chicken went together extremely well--I definitely plan on pairing the flavors in the future again.

Some kind of asian slaw I made from mostly red cabbage, carrot, almonds, and I don't know what else. It had that "good but not great, but why can't I stop eating this!?" quality. It was a combination of a few recipes. Addicting, but mixed success... probably didn't help that I only had red cabbage and nothin' else. The dressing was sort of a peanut/sesame flavor. We had this with the chicken wings pictured below.

Thai Chicken wings. Best chicken wings I've ever had in my life hands down. Made several minor changes to the recipe, but stayed true to the spirit of it. Got Game of Thrones BD in the mail the day prior, so we messily feasted on meat with our hands while watching some epic fantasy, and it felt appropriate.

totowhoa

Banned
Oh wow, those wings look great! Got a recipe for them?

And do you think it will work well on some grilled chicken breast?

Sure! I was actually trying to find it earlier but couldn't. I texted my fiance since you asked and that sharp little mind of hers was able to recall it.

http://savoringtoday.com/2012/02/29/thai-chili-sesame-chicken-wings/

I made a couple of adjustments but stuck to the spirit of the recipe. Namely, I didn't have chili garlic sauce, despite it being common. However, I had a similar chili paste I like to get from an asian super market nearby. It had thai basil in it which gave it a great flavor, and a bit of garlic. I added extra garlic though. I also made the sauce a bit spicier and thicker overall. The recipe is absolutely fantastic, and I recommend any wing lover to give it ago. Also, I think I ended up doubling the sauce (I made it the initial amount, but when it came time to dunk all the wings in the sauce for the final bit of cooking, I was almost out. I recommend making 1.5 to 2 times the amount suggested... in my case I doubled it because I just made a fresh batch while the wings finished cooking). I might have had more wings though, I can't remember... I bought a standard pack, which around here is 3 pounds I think. Sauce is quick and easy to make if you need to double it though.

totowhoa

Banned
Trying this for sure! Thanks for the recipe!

Made an edit about doubling the sauce right before you posted... just wanted to make sure you catch it!

Edit again: forgot your question about chicken breast. I think it could work fine, but I'd really recommend going for the wings first. Breasts and wings are pretty darn different.... I think if I made it using breasts, I would make it so it wasn't spicy at all and serve it sliced up in an asian style salad with some kind of home made dressing personally. I'm not really sure, but it could be done well

I had burgers today too...Lamb Burgers!

All Ready to go. Lamb has Worcestershire, Salt and Pepper.

Mix is Mint, Rosemary, some Paprika, Garlic Powder, Feta
j0r7fJs3oP7P8.jpg

All done. WAY too much of the seasoning for the meat amount...oh well.
jswJsNqafjdhX.jpg

All Done, Medium Wellish. Served with some caramelized onions. Some crumbled Feta on top along with some garlic butter.
jbnhbuqEiqaD0.jpg

So good. Lamb Burgers are the best,

Collete

Red Tiramisu Cups

*Awesome images*

:)

That looks magnificent...Beautiful as always!

Here comes amateur baker!
Apologies for poor pictures.

QLqnq.jpg

mtC72.jpg

Q8MNY.jpg

Maple chocolate chip melon bread for Mother's day.

I would have taken prettier pictures right out of the oven but most of my family members just took them immediately.
While it does look frightening, they were all incredibly delicious.
I rarely bake this because it is so labor intensive but it is absolutely worth it in the end.

Made a manwich for dinner tonight.

Tomato and basil from the garden, avocado, fried egg, tempeh bacon, and the usual condiments: lots of veganaise (mayo-like substance), grainy mustard, salt, and pepper.

I don't know if it's because I usually eat vegetarian sandwiches, but a good amount of salt and pepper always makes the sandwich better.

Zyzyxxz

I don't know if it's because I usually eat vegetarian sandwiches, but a good amount of salt and pepper always makes the sandwich better.

People tend not to season a sandwich probably because you only think of what goes inside it on the layer level but proper seasoning is important in all aspects of cooking.

CrankyJay

Banned
Some stuff I made over the weekend on separate days:

1. Grilled salmon filet...sea salt, cracked black pepper, dill

5SPkml.jpg

2. Smoked brisket, came out a littler drier than I would have liked.

JjHz1l.jpg

YJbLFl.jpg

3. Smoked pulled pork, this turned out perfect. Made a Carolina vinegar sauce to go along with it (cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, pepper flakes)

IQenIl.jpg

Oh lawd that looks good. I was just in Florida and had the great pleasure of eating (twice) at Sonny's BBQ and it was phenomenal. Got the pulled pork the first time and smoked brisket the second time. Its hard to find that type of food north of the Mason Dixon. At least around where I live anyway.

MrBig

moar pizza
IMG_2663.jpg

Turns out my pepper plants don't like full Florida afternoon sun, but the ones that were hidden behind my cilantro and parsley are doing just fine. Got a few peppers off those that died though.

Moz, parm, jalepeno, pepperoni, and cilantro in the sliced log I made for a side. Moz, canned tomato sauce, rosemary, gypsy pepper, onion, and bacon on the pizza. Forgot to take a picture last night (or of any of the other stuff I've made recently), this is reheated.

So, looking at getting some new knives. I already have a knife block set, so this time instead of getting a 7 pc. set, seeing what I can do with individual buys. Looking at medium range knives here.

What do you guys think of the below?

Wusthof Classic Hollow-Ground Santoku

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005MEGX/?tag=neogaf0e-20
images

I have grown very fond of using Santoku knives recently and want to get a good one here. So, let me know if someone has experience here with this or other Santoku knoves.

I have used the Victorinox Chef's knife below and know its a top buy for the dollar.

Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/?tag=neogaf0e-20
images

Wusthof Classic 3-1/2-Inch Paring Knife

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005MEGH/?tag=neogaf0e-20
21CMM9JXJKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Victorinox 47547 10-1/4-Inch Wavy Bread Knife, Black Fibrox Handle (I don't use bread knives much, but good to have around)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00093090Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20
images

Wusthof Silverpoint II 4-1/2-Inch Utility Knife (Couple of these, when my mom is over she uses them for most of her cooking)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192LQEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
images

Zyzyxxz

Decent list if you aren't looking to spend too much money. Right now all I really want is a good bread knife, so I've been thinking of getting that Victorinox serrated one since there's no point in spending over $100 on a bread knife that you can't sharpen again.

If you have a preference for the santoku, go for that one instead of a regular 8" chef's knife. I don't think you'd need both.

Personally, all you really need is a big knife (santoku, chef's, cleaver, etc.), a paring knife, and a bread knife if you slice bread often.

Not sure why you'd get a utility knife if you already have the above.

Listen to what zyzy says about the bread knife. No need to spend top bucks on it since you'll have to replace it after a year or so anyway b/c of wear and tear. Getting one of those suckers sharpened costs as much as just buying a mid-range new one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have the Victorinox 8-inch, it's pretty huge. I prefer their 6-inch for most situations.

TheExodu5

Banned
I bought my mom a 6 inch Wusthof Chef Knife for Christmas. It's my favorite knife...I prefer it to my 8 inch Shun Elite. So very well balanced, and just the perfect size.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think I saw this posted in IronGAF somewhere but maybe not. I read a blog post on Steamy Kitchen about slow cooking salmon. I've never tried slow cooking it before so I figured I would give it a shot. Turned out awesome. Best salmon I can remember having. Of course I forgot to snap a shot of it finished but it basically looked exactly the same as this before pic.

xsNuMl.jpg

I made this a little while ago. I didn't take any pictures of it but it looked just like the one above. It was good, though my parents refused to eat it because they said it was raw.

Sometimes I hate cooking for my family.

;_;

Decent list if you aren't looking to spend too much money. Right now all I really want is a good bread knife, so I've been thinking of getting that Victorinox serrated one since there's no point in spending over $100 on a bread knife that you can't sharpen again.

Yea, I don't think I am that good at taking care of knives to justify Shun, Global level of purchases. Also, where is the finished burger?

If you have a preference for the santoku, go for that one instead of a regular 8" chef's knife. I don't think you'd need both.

Personally, all you really need is a big knife (santoku, chef's, cleaver, etc.), a paring knife, and a bread knife if you slice bread often.

Not sure why you'd get a utility knife if you already have the above.

Listen to what zyzy says about the bread knife. No need to spend top bucks on it since you'll have to replace it after a year or so anyway b/c of wear and tear. Getting one of those suckers sharpened costs as much as just buying a mid-range new one.

The utility knives for when my Mom is here. From India, she is pretty much used to using knives of the paring and utility variety for all her prep.

Put my order in, can't wait. This + new stove top cast iron griddle + new all clad pan.

I made this a little while ago. I didn't take any pictures of it but it looked just like the one above. It was good, though my parents refused to eat it because they said it was raw.

Sometimes I hate cooking for my family.

;_;

Yes! I love cooking fish like this. If you like crispy skin (and have the skins till on the fillet) you can sear it with a little oil, skin side down an oven-proof skillet, flip then pop the whole thing into the preheated oven. The crispy skin + the moist, tender flesh makes a killer combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom