• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Put the finger on the spot of the hand and hold it there. Now move each finger to your thumb, one at a time, while keeping your finger on that spot. Notice how the muscle tension changes as you move up and down

This should give you a better idea - then you'll be able to spot the difference

Good idea! That seemed to do the trick.

thespot84

Anyone else excited by this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

jlbQd.jpg

what's the final price, $300?

Also, lol at the $5 pledge gift.

Zyzyxxz

So tempted but it's so expensive. :(

Is it worth it?

Well if the place I'm working for ever expands I will definitely need at least 1 more circulator so I would probably pick this up for smaller task since I could just set it up in a pot instead of a big tub. $300 is a great deal but 10L is the max it can circulate and that only equates to 2.6 gals roughly so not a large amount of water. For home use or small task it should be fine but for restaurant use or large scale don't bother.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
^--- Nice! What's the thing with steak and mushrooms? I see it a lot. Do they taste good together?

Asparagus is great. I put some olive oil, lemon juice, and cracker pepper on them before i put them on the cast iron grill plate.

The skirt steak was marinated in lime juice and cilantro.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
LOL, no, I meant why is steak served with mushrooms a lot of the time? Sometimes I see mushrooms on my mashed potatoes b/c of mushroom gravy, but you wouldn't have mushroom gravy on steak, right?

Beef and mushrooms is a tried and true combination. Tastes great!

VanWinkle

Made the best pizza I've ever done tonight, and I actually made four that were consistentally this good, which is unheard of for me. I was really excited so I had to take a picture, lol. (The dark things are basil leaves from the garden, which granted DID get a little dark)

iUjAJlGNXZogW.jpg

DJ_Lae

That pizza looks delicious.

We made a margherita pizza tonight and although it tasted good it had nowhere near that nice browning on the cheese.

VanWinkle

That pizza looks fantastic.

It surely does. Bravo

That pizza looks delicious.

We made a margherita pizza tonight and although it tasted good it had nowhere near that nice browning on the cheese.

Thank you guys so much! I was really proud of it, because that's exactly the type of crust I've been aspiring to get for as long as I've been making pizza. I realized that it's just that I needed to crank that heat on the oven and let the stone preheat for a while. I always put the pizza on too soon, so the crust would never brown enough, but man, the bottom looked incredible too (which I have always had problems with). I made my fiancee a margherita pizza, and that turned out really well too. I just ended up using the leftover basil leaves on mine which is pictured.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Youmake me proud, folks! :)

I participated in a cooking battle this week.

In random teams of four, task was to prepare a three course menu from a defined set of ingredients within 60 minutes. This is were our results (from right to left):

-Rocket, tomato and carrot salad with goat cheese and pesto'ed Bruschetta,
-pan fried salmon trout with roasted green asparagus, accompanied with pesto'ed pasta,
-zabaione with marinated strawberries and a hint of "Kaiserschmarrn" (frosted pancakes).

betpT.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I went to Tsujita LA. Ramen and soup was good, but the pork... I've never had pork like that ever. omg
I'm sold on higher end pork. Still don't like eating a lot of fat though.

YELP photo:
LOL, no, I meant why is steak served with mushrooms a lot of the time? Sometimes I see mushrooms on my mashed potatoes b/c of mushroom gravy, but you wouldn't have mushroom gravy on steak, right?
Because it's delicious.

I like mushrooms and it's nice to have a softer veggie with a bit of taste. I cannot explain this well.

In random teams of four, task was to prepare a three course menu from a defined set of ingredients within 60 minutes. This is were our results (from right to left):

-pan fried salmon trout with roasted green asparagus, accompanied with pesto'ed pasta,
-zabaione with marinated strawberries and a hint of "Kaiserschmarrn" (frosted pancakes).

betpT.jpg
That's awesome!

Zyzyxxz

So I went to Tsujita LA. Ramen and soup was good, but the pork... I've never had pork like that ever. omg
I'm sold on higher end pork. Still don't like eating a lot of fat though.

Yes converted another one to the glorious temple of Tsujita!

That sounds fun, wish I had the chance to do something like that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes converted another one to the glorious temple of Tsujita!

That sounds fun, wish I had the chance to do something like that.
Just find a venue and make the event dude!

Speaking of which I hope to make it down to the bar today for your event!

thespot84

betpT.jpg

very nice. So Salmon trout is steelhead, and is trout, not salmon, right?

CrankyJay

Banned
Made the best pizza I've ever done tonight, and I actually made four that were consistentally this good, which is unheard of for me. I was really excited so I had to take a picture, lol. (The dark things are basil leaves from the garden, which granted DID get a little dark)

iUjAJlGNXZogW.jpg

That's about as pro as it gets.

iUjAJlGNXZogW.jpg

Wow, looks very professional! What were the other 3 pizzas?

ShinAmano

So I am intrigued by hairy balls...but that is not why I am here.

Anyone have any good sauce recipies for chicken wings? I am going to smoke some and fry some others.

So about those hairy balls...recipe?

dyonPT

iUjAJlGNXZogW.jpg

Simply....amazing!

Got some more pictures of the vegetarian xian bing I made on Friday.

The hardest (but funnest!) part was wrapping it up. Home-made dough is so satisfying to wrap things with.
7398753218_dd26e0709e_m.jpg

7398753480_bab4883c64.jpg

pan-fry it

7398753534_b142b45980.jpg

The finished product (after I took a bite out of it)

Hum...very interesting :) Wold eat it!

Thank you guys so much! I was really proud of it, because that's exactly the type of crust I've been aspiring to get for as long as I've been making pizza. I realized that it's just that I needed to crank that heat on the oven and let the stone preheat for a while. I always put the pizza on too soon, so the crust would never brown enough, but man, the bottom looked incredible too (which I have always had problems with). I made my fiancee a margherita pizza, and that turned out really well too. I just ended up using the leftover basil leaves on mine which is pictured.

That looks fantastic, bravo! May I ask for the dough recipe? (I'm assuming it's homemade)

And what is a Pizza stone? I'm from the UK and have never heard of one. It seems to me that it can make all the difference.

Zyzyxxz

Wow, thank you! One was a margherita, one was just cheese, and the other was cheese/pepperoni like the one in the picture (but without the basil leaves). We are all pretty picky eaters and I'm still a little afraid to venture into more experimental territory, lol.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for your dough? I've always wanted to make great pizza but I just plan shitty when it comes to dough.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for your dough? I've always wanted to make great pizza but I just plan shitty when it comes to dough.

For great pizza what you really need is a HOT AS HELL oven. But I guess you can probably get one of those at work. A pizza stone also helps. I'm sad that I left ours in our old apartment.

Inspired by this post, I just started some pizza dough this morning with my sour dough starter and some yeast. The yeast is b/c the starter is almost dead =(

VanWinkle

That looks fantastic, bravo! May I ask for the dough recipe? (I'm assuming it's homemade)

And what is a Pizza stone? I'm from the UK and have never heard of one. It seems to me that it can make all the difference.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for your dough? I've always wanted to make great pizza but I just plan s***ty when it comes to dough.

I wish I could say it was my own invented recipe, but I got it from Serious Eats. Here's the link. I couldn't believe putting the mixture in a food processor would work so well, but alas. Of course, you could just hand mix/knead it too if you wanted.

Also, sammyCYBORG, this is a pizza stone:
20110322-protips-baking-surfaces-1.JPG

You get it very hot, and it does its best to emulate a deck oven like you'd see at some pizzerias. Not perfect, but about the best method for home pizzas. You just have to get that thing VERY HOT. The pizza stone has to be preheated in with the oven so it can contain and conduct that heat.

Zyzyxxz

I wish I could say it was my own invented recipe, but I got it from Serious Eats. Here's the link. I couldn't believe putting the mixture in a food processor would work so well, but alas. Of course, you could just hand mix/knead it too if you wanted.

Kenji Lopez is an amazing cook, I use his method for fries at work so no surprise he took a shot at making a perfect pizza crust.

My cooking has always limited to baking (non-dessert items) or using a slow cooker. For the first time, I actually cooked something on the stove and it turned out really well. (Also my first ever successful Indian recipe.)

Hyderabadi Dum Biryani.

p3NNC.jpg

VoYmH.jpg

kSxrI.jpg

J9fUB.jpg

I am really happy that going forward, I don't need to pay someone $80 to make this for me.

Well, I know of only one person in my city who makes it and that is how much she charged. It is the only Indian dish that I miss and I was desperate. It did last me 2-3 meals though.
Mine isn't as good as what she sells yet, but with a few experiments, it'll get there.

My cooking has always limited to baking (non-dessert items) or using a slow cooker. For the first time, I actually cooked something on the stove and it turned out really well. (Also my first ever successful Indian recipe.)

Hyderabadi Dum Biryani.
You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for this would you? This looks super tasty.

The pizza and this have really given me an itch to cook something. :)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Well, I know of only one person in my city who makes it and that is how much she charged. It is the only Indian dish that I miss and I was desperate. It did last me 2-3 meals though.
Mine isn't as good as what she sells yet, but with a few experiments, it'll get there.
you should really invest in a good pressure cooker.

f2c87.jpg

Yay random things!

Cheese: Edel De Cleron Coupe Never before have I encountered a cheese, far as I reckon, that essentially melts to such a silky quality that it pretty well become a liquid the instant it enters your mouth. Pleasant taste and smell as well, pretty surprising given it had a very "Brie" look to it while only being a touch less goopy in the package.

Crumble: Good Health Natural Foods Kettle-Style Barcelona Barbecue Been ages since I'd seen a fresh variety from this outfit and thankfully it didn't disappoint as it'd been all too long since I'd enjoyed their Avocado oil-laced chip finery. Nice, somewhat salty, flavour that went pretty well with the above.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oh my...looking for some advice.

A outdoorsman friend of mine brought me a bunch of goodies yesterday, including a few different cuts of Steelhead (salmon trout) and a bone in deer-roast.

I need suggestions for the deer-roast...I'm thinking of treating it like a leg of lamb and inserting garlic cloves and fresh rosemary and smoking it for a few hours over oak or mesquite wood to medium rare/medium.

The other idea was to braise it. I'm not sure my dutch over (5qt) is large enough for that, which leads me back to the smoker idea.

Any other suggestions?

edit:

Seems I should at the very least be buttermilk-brining this thing...to add some moisture and to remove some of the gameyness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom