• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Awesome as always Dyon!

Slow cooked pork tacos with pickled onions and jalapenos, cheddar, creme fraiche and tomato- and chipotle-salsa

dcv0ml.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not cooking exactly, but I finally realized a culinary ambition and ate at a Rick Bayless restaurant - he is a Chicago based chef who makes incredibly amazing and often authentic Mexican food. I went to Red O in LA, where I had pork belly sopas, a cream cheese enchilada and a trio of tacos, including lamb. It was incredible.The $100 margarita with a mix of anejo tequilas, Louis XIIIth cognac and blood orange caviar didn't hurt either.

Not cooking exactly, but I finally realized a culinary ambition and ate at a Rick Bayless restaurant - he is a Chicago based chef who makes incredibly amazing and often authentic Mexican food. I went to Red O in LA, where I had pork belly sopas, a cream cheese enchilada and a trio of tacos, including lamb. It was incredible.The $100 margarita with a mix of anejo tequilas, Louis XIIIth cognac and blood orange caviar didn't hurt either.

I have ate at this fast-food place on top of Macy's in Chicago (Frontera Fresco) and the food is incredible. The veggie tamale was just amazing along with the Chicken Tortas.

Right next to it is Marcus Sammuelson's burger fast-food joint and they had the best fries I have had till date.

Zyzyxxz

I am a believer in his skill. Ate at XOCO his wood fired torta based restaurant and damn it was good.

Imm0rt4l

Looking forward to using this thread for a weekly inspiration for new foods to try after my caloric deficit is up 4th of July weekend.

Yes please. I've never heard of cottage cheese in cake but this looks good!

I had a quick lunch today:
1aff918eb3fc11e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg

porridge, thousand year old egg, spicy bamboo, with some leftover tofu.

and had 20 minutes free, so whipped up some mini-madeleines:

Not the best looking but tasted good. The chocolate is a good idea to cover up the lack of butter (used margarine so that my non-dairy eating husband can have some).

TheExodu5

Banned
1pZqY.jpg

Good eats, but I'm frazzled out something fierce from bad familial tidings such that I don't know that I'd be able to enjoy anything 100%. : /

Cheese: Rocinante Etxegarate That's....a weird damn name for the last of the Rocinante line I've come across. Versus the others, it enforces that----super-hard, browns to the point or crisping up super-quick, and is packing some serious oil content. Nice taste, decent mess....works for me.

Crumble: Smartfood Selects Italian Herb Popped Chips Pretty much the same as the rest from this line---can't go wrong with Oregano/Garlic/Basil as a general combo with it being duly seasoned likewise. Even though there was lots of oil, it wasn't especially flavorful compared to prior, so it blended well when absorbed.

I really need to try to make those pizzas (or do you have another name for them?) one of these days. What do you use for bread and peperoni/salami? Any advice on going about making one of these?

Awesome as always Dyon!

Slow cooked pork tacos with pickled onions and jalapenos, cheddar, creme fraiche and tomato- and chipotle-salsa

dcv0ml.jpg

That sounds absolutely delicious. I need to try making some authentic tacos sometime. I love the idea of using creme fraiche...sounds deliciously rich.

thespot84

Yes please. I've never heard of cottage cheese in cake but this looks good!

I had a quick lunch today:
porridge, thousand year old egg, spicy bamboo, with some leftover tofu.

and had 20 minutes free, so whipped up some mini-madeleines:

Not the best looking but tasted good. The chocolate is a good idea to cover up the lack of butter (used margarine so that my non-dairy eating husband can have some).

I think it's been discussed before her but what do thousand year old eggs taste like? And aren't the pretty dark after all that aging?

I think it's been discussed before her but what do thousand year old eggs taste like? And aren't the pretty dark after all that aging?

Yeah the white of the egg becomes a clear translucent black color with white snowflakes and the yolk turns into this dark muddy green-grey color. Kind of scary if you're not expecting it.

outside: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NsIHCAIcN...gapore+amuse+bouche+thousand+year+old+egg.JPG

inside: http://www.chineserecipesbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Chinese-Thousand-Year-Egg.jpg

The taste is definitely something different. The outside is kinda alkaline tasting and the texture is like a firm jello. Not my favorite part of the egg.

The yolk is be best part. It's creamy and has a distinct savory taste. Kinda like a runny cheese.

When you cook it in porridge, the yolk flavor permeates the porridge to give it a rich, savory texture.

Stalfos

I am a believer in his skill. Ate at XOCO his wood fired torta based restaurant and damn it was good.

Was in Chicago last week. XOCO was great, got the Ahogada. It was delicious, though I ordered it spicy which definitely brought the heat (at least for my pallet) and I probably would have enjoyed it more with medium heat.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah the white of the egg becomes a clear translucent black color with white snowflakes and the yolk turns into this dark muddy green-grey color. Kind of scary if you're not expecting it.

outside: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NsIHCAIcN...gapore+amuse+bouche+thousand+year+old+egg.JPG

inside: http://www.chineserecipesbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Chinese-Thousand-Year-Egg.jpg

The taste is definitely something different. The outside is kinda alkaline tasting and the texture is like a firm jello. Not my favorite part of the egg.

The yolk is be best part. It's creamy and has a distinct savory taste. Kinda like a runny cheese.

When you cook it in porridge, the yolk flavor permeates the porridge to give it a rich, savory texture.

Xenomorph egg:(

luoapp

You know there was an episode of "fear factor", in which the players were required to eat some "thousand year egg". One of them literally cried.

ameratsu

Anyone have tofu frying tips? I made pad thai for the first time today but found my tofu was a little underwhelming. There was a lot of water in the tofu when I started frying it as evidenced by loud crackling. I quickly soaked up excess moisture with a paper towel before hand but it feels like it wasn't enough.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
IIRC with spongy tofu you're supposed (after unpacking it) wrap it in some paper towel and weigh it with a brick or something to get the excess moisture out.

You know there was an episode of "fear factor", in which the players were required to eat some "thousand year egg". One of them literally cried.

I can see how it can scare people off. The smell when you crack it open takes some getting used to. When I was small, I stopped eating it for a bit because my cousin told me they made it by putting them in a barrel full of pee!

Anyone have tofu frying tips? I made pad thai for the first time today but found my tofu was a little underwhelming. There was a lot of water in the tofu when I started frying it as evidenced by loud crackling. I quickly soaked up excess moisture with a paper towel before hand but it feels like it wasn't enough.

Wrap with a few layers of paper towel or a cloth napkin, put it on a plate (to catch the water), and weigh down with a plate or two. It should be heavy enough to press the water out, but not so heavy it crushes the tofu. Wait for 10-15 minutes for the moisture to go out.

Cut into flat squares, then wipe down each square with a dry paper towel. To get it extra crispy, you can also dust with corn-starch before frying.

Any good homemade teriyaki sauce recipes? I saw one on Food Network that looked pretty good. Soy sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, and brown sugar.... maybe a little potato starch to thicken it up.

I'm open to suggestions. I suck at sauce-making.

thespot84

I can see how it can scare people off. The smell when you crack it open takes some getting used to. When I was small, I stopped eating it for a bit because my cousin told me they made it by putting them in a barrel full of pee!

Wrap with a few layers of paper towel or a cloth napkin, put it on a plate (to catch the water), and weigh down with a plate or two. It should be heavy enough to press the water out, but not so heavy it crushes the tofu. Wait for 10-15 minutes for the moisture to go out.

Cut into flat squares, then wipe down each square with a dry paper towel. To get it extra crispy, you can also dust with corn-starch before frying.

would velveting with corn starch and eqq whites work well too? I've only done it with chicken...

Zyzyxxz

I've tried in the past with something akin to tempura batter but couldn't get that to stick either. Maybe i'll mess around with it here soon

The problem is your tofu has to be dry, another thing you can do it let it sit in the batter overnight? That might work better.

Then again I've made fried tofu by deep frying in a wok in deep oil. The exterior has gotten crunchy enough. If all else fails an asian market should sell pre-fried tofu, while not the best product it's acceptable.

I really need to try to make those pizzas (or do you have another name for them?) one of these days. What do you use for bread and peperoni/salami? Any advice on going about making one of these?

Well, these have the lame/quirky moniker of "Naanza" to me, haha.

Being that, these in particular are made from a hearty Naan that has already been baked up at the farmer's market. Prior to some bullshit on their end, earlier incarnations made use of Panini, a certain Gyro wrap, tortillas, and generally all manner of flat'ish-breads works well enough.

The current meat currently in rotation is Applegate Farms Salumetti I've done assorted Pepperoni, Sopressata, Salumi, Capicola, Prosciutto----generally if it is a nifty looking cured meat of some sort the odds are high it will work well and I'll be into it as I hunt around to find them locally from company to company. Individual tastes vary, but if you select a different one each time intentionally you will soon discover your personal favorites relative to what is available in your locale----like most things in life the shit stuff is pretty all all the same as there's only one way to go as cheap as possible, the abundant variety then holds the good as that's where creativity comes into place once you are not racing to the bottom.

With all of them, presuming the base is already baked and the meat already smoked or whathaveyou, it generally works out well to throw it in an oven set to 350F for about 4-5 minutes as that is enough to melt the cheese, activate the meat, and generally get everything nice and hot. If using any raw ingredients like bacon, well, gotta cook that up beforehand to be safe.

Pretty much, you can do pizza'ish things out of all manner of non-traditional things, and from that nifty combinations and samplings are possible.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, these have the lame/quirky moniker of "Naanza" to me, haha.

Being that, these in particular are made from a hearty Naan that has already been baked up at the farmer's market. Prior to some bullshit on their end, earlier incarnations made use of Panini, a certain Gyro wrap, tortillas, and generally all manner of flat'ish-breads works well enough.

The current meat currently in rotation is Applegate Farms Salumetti I've done assorted Pepperoni, Sopressata, Salumi, Capicola, Prosciutto----generally if it is a nifty looking cured meat of some sort the odds are high it will work well and I'll be into it as I hunt around to find them locally from company to company. Individual tastes vary, but if you select a different one each time intentionally you will soon discover your personal favorites relative to what is available in your locale----like most things in life the shit stuff is pretty all all the same as there's only one way to go as cheap as possible, the abundant variety then holds the good as that's where creativity comes into place once you are not racing to the bottom.

With all of them, presuming the base is already baked and the meat already smoked or whathaveyou, it generally works out well to throw it in an oven set to 350F for about 4-5 minutes as that is enough to melt the cheese, activate the meat, and generally get everything nice and hot. If using any raw ingredients like bacon, well, gotta cook that up beforehand to be safe.

Pretty much, you can do pizza'ish things out of all manner of non-traditional things, and from that nifty combinations and samplings are possible.

Thanks. Also, what do you do with the crumble? I never really notice it in the pictures.

would velveting with corn starch and eqq whites work well too? I've only done it with chicken...

Hm...I've never tried that with tofu. I can see why people do it with meat, but tofu's texture is so different from meat, I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

If you want to get it super crispy, I would press the tofu by the mention above to get most of the moisture out, freeze it over night, let it defrost. It'll become spongey, and softly squeeze the rest of the water out. You'll be left with this weird tofu sponge thing.

Then you can dip that in a pancake batter-like combination of soy milk + flour + salt to taste, and then pan fry or deep fry it. If you eat egg, throw an egg into your batter to get it to stick to the soy milk more.

I do that when I want crispy nuggets of tofu for fish taco. After dipping it into the wet batter, I then dip it in bread crumbs and then deep fry. Not the most healthy thing in the world, but so good!

Thanks. Also, what do you do with the crumble? I never really notice it in the pictures.

It varies---think of it as a utility seasoning. At times, works best when eaten on the side. Other times, liberally applied topside, often directly on top of pepperoni and such, so as to help soak up excess oil---though this can also be done wholesale across the top in terms of oily cheeses. The taste varies a bit depending on if you are topping it directly after it comes out of the oven or putting some extra heat on it via having it go in with the rest already in place. Other times I blend it with the sauce, or use it to create a well of sorts along the perimeter in the instances I'm making use of a nice herb butter and the like and the base is being uncooperative/not a level surface so as to allow for the goodness to run around to near the edge and through everything but not make a mess in the bottom of the oven.

Lately I've somehow gotten in the habit of the pics just being a whole piece example or so placed alongside then doing any trickier bits later, it just depends and sometimes otherwise folk would have a hard time making out the look of the cheese and such even if it was super tasty when fully loaded up.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just made the best pasta sauce I've ever tasted (I have little experience with spaghetti sauces since I dislike most I've had to date).

5 cloves garlic + one onion, fried until slightly caramelized. Heinz tomato paste + Hunt's garlic & herb tomato sauce. Chopped green pepper and a packet of sliced mushrooms. Maybe 1/8 cup of finely chopped pickled hot peppers, along with 1-2tbps of the vinegar. A bit of sugar...maybe 2tbps. 1-2tbps or so of Parmesan cheese. Some italian herbs. And the secret ingredient this time: a large spoonful of garlic & herb Boursin cheese. It's been simmering for 45 minutes and is absolutely delicious. I think I'm going to let it simmer for another hour or two and see how it improves.

Probably not too traditional with the hot peppers...just went with what tasted good. Delicious on pasta with a bit of mozz.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Just made the best pasta sauce I've ever tasted (I have little experience with spaghetti sauces since I dislike most I've had to date).

5 cloves garlic + one onion, fried until slightly caramelized. Heinz tomato paste + Hunt's garlic & herb tomato sauce. Chopped green pepper and a packet of sliced mushrooms. Maybe 1/8 cup of finely chopped pickled hot peppers, along with 1-2tbps of the vinegar. A bit of sugar...maybe 2tbps. 1-2tbps or so of Parmesan cheese. Some italian herbs. And the secret ingredient this time: a large spoonful of garlic & herb Boursin cheese. It's been simmering for 45 minutes and is absolutely delicious. I think I'm going to let it simmer for another hour or two and see how it improves.

Probably not too traditional with the hot peppers...just went with what tasted good. Delicious on pasta with a bit of mozz.

Never been a fan of Hunt's sauce (too sweet I think?), but that doctored up sauce sounds amazing

trilobyte

I made dessert today :)

Affogato

Homemade coffee flavored ice-cream
Sitting in a shot of fresh brewed espresso and a touch of Amaretto
Topped with warm homemade chocolate ganache, whipped-cream, and walnuts

c438jdj

CrankyJay

Banned
More BBQ pictures...sorry, that's all I care to do in the summer for the most part. =P

The racks were too long for my available surface so I rolled them up and held them in place with metal skewers.

UAE0Al.jpg

Ribs glazed with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I usually put on agave nectar and then sprinkle on a coat of brown sugar and wrap them in foil. This makes meat candy. I like it, others don't.

BTH02l.jpg

Chicken rubbed in olive oil and spices. Brought the smoker up to 350 to attempt to smoke and get crisp skin. It's harder than it looks...

YwuIMl.jpg

Crust is starting to form on the chicken. The skin wasn't as crispy as I liked but holy shit was it ever delicious.

l6jrYl.jpg

Yeah, thats got me salivating.

Been doing a lot of cooking and refining my best dishes. Still got a way to go to reach the levels of OnkelC, Zzzyzzz (sp) and nakedsushi or the masterful baker that is dyonPT in this thread though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There an easy way to make a small batch of homemade chili for turkey dogs? Any recipes? I want beanless.

Just me trying to spice up my weekend turkey kielbasa on bun meals again. :p

CrankyJay

Banned
There an easy way to make a small batch of homemade chili for turkey dogs? Any recipes? I want beanless.

Just me trying to spice up my weekend turkey kielbasa on bun meals again. :p

Just brown your chili meat (drain fat), add chili powder and any other spices you prefer (cumin, etc). Or just buy a packet of McCormick's chili mix for like $2. It's measured out for a pound of chili meat, so you can do the math if you want a smaller batch. Ground turkey chili is great because the spices make it virtually indistinguishable from ground beef chili.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just brown your chili meat (drain fat), add chili powder and any other spices you prefer (cumin, etc). Or just buy a packet of McCormick's chili mix for like $2. It's measured out for a pound of chili meat, so you can do the math if you want a smaller batch. Ground turkey chili is great because the spices make it virtually indistinguishable from ground beef chili.

Might give that a shot.

Wasn't sure what else to do for the turkey dogs this weekend.

Sunday night I'm thinking of homemade Mexican pizzas (think Taco Bell) with turkey.

Zyzyxxz

I need to work on pics/lighting/plating.

psssh screw plating! It's bbq it's gonna get messy lol.

My boss told me he has a something similar to this that he's never used:
grill-41rkczrtbkl__ss500_.jpg

Said he'd bring it to work. You can use it to make skewers and it's charcoal powered. So excited to try it out.

GiJoccin

Affogato

c438jdj

I'll post pics next time i throw one together - but i've just been making a bit of coffee, and tossing in half a scoop of homemade vanilla for a quick affogato snack :)

pax217

Affogato

c438jdj

We used to serve these at a restaurant I worked at; they never looked that good. Nice work. Love the coaster, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom