• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
psssh screw plating! It's bbq it's gonna get messy lol.

My boss told me he has a something similar to this that he's never used:
grill-41rkczrtbkl__ss500_.jpg

Said he'd bring it to work. You can use it to make skewers and it's charcoal powered. So excited to try it out.

Delicios things can be made with that one!

trilobyte, amazing effort! more of it, please.

trilobyte

Thanks guys! I'm a beginner -- lots of starts, stops, and restarts to my learning - but getting there. Plan to tackle a new dinner this weekend.

nakedsushi: those tacos look amazing!

pax217: thanks! I got the coasters from a local artist in town. I think you can still get them at http://www.austinartgarage.com

DJ_Lae

Made my first pie in about five years.

Store had blueberries on sale so I went that route - I'm usually a huge fan of peaches but there won't be a good crop of those for at least a month and a half.

Had a hell of a time rolling the crust and putting the pie together, but even on the ugly side it tastes delicious. Gotta make more of these now, especially as my daughter helped me through the entire process and is now running around the apartment exclaiming 'pie!'

Y82Zy.jpg

rsBhu.jpg

I should probably have also let it cool a tiny bit longer, but I couldn't help myself. It just smelled too good to leave alone.

If I had one complaint it's that (as I kind of expected) the blueberries are a bit one note, even with lemon juice added. I might go 50/50 granny smith and blueberry next time.

Zyzyxxz

So at work since it was Friday I felt like treating myself

American Wagyu chuck steak with patatas bravos (spicy fried potatoes) and a fried poached egg
8a16bd1eb76111e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Made some pimento cheese for grill bacon cheese sandwiches on the menu as well.
a12b9fc0b76a11e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Actually I didn't state it was Kobe beef which implies it would have been from Kobe Japan.

Snake River Farms is a reputable producer of beef and American Wagyu (wagyu is the breed of cattle) is a cross breed between angus and wagyu to produce a cow that has intense marbling but with a strong beef flavor. So while a lot of restaurants may lie this steak was real.

Also if you had seen the marbling before I cooked it you could tell it wasn't ordinary beef too.

thespot84

Actually I didn't state it was Kobe beef which implies it would have been from Kobe Japan.

Snake River Farms is a reputable producer of beef and American Wagyu (wagyu is the breed of cattle) is a cross breed between angus and wagyu to produce a cow that has intense marbling but with a strong beef flavor. So while a lot of restaurants may lie this steak was real.

Also if you had seen the marbling before I cooked it you could tell it wasn't ordinary beef too.

Yeah I didn't think you were insinuating that it was kobe, I was just curious what someone in in the industry understood it to be.

So in the end wagyu is simply a breed that has good marbling. Good to know.

d6Csq.jpg

Yep, bad times continue but at least I'm managing to not let this indulgence slip away on me.

Cheese: Nicasio Reserve Apparently on the expensive side of things if you get a big chunk to the tune of something like $17'ish per lb, I can say that it is at least decent. Smooth, fairly quick melt in such a way as to be apt to stick to the roof of your mouth, strong aroma before you melt it that vanishes when you do----pretty nice stuff in general even if it lacks a "wow" factor in terms of a distinctive taste to set it apart from the pack at large.

Crumble: Cape Cod Wafflecut Seasoned (Triple) Pepper Boom----this is THE pepper chip in general for me thus far. The wafflecut is a nice twist to get more of the seasoning afoot and who could say no to a liberal mix of red, black, and white pepper? Very refreshing and duly added the zing to the meal.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah I didn't think you were insinuating that it was kobe, I was just curious what someone in in the industry understood it to be.

So in the end wagyu is simply a breed that has good marbling. Good to know.

Even the American Wagyu label can be used wrong but Snake River Farms supplies many high end restaurants. So it's not 100% wagyu but it closer to 50% which is as good as it gets without going near the $100/lb territory.

That is a fine looking pie.

I've been on a Chinese food kick lately, so for dinner a few nights ago, I made:

Flowering chive and tofu

Spicy radish appetizer

Salted snow cabbage and fava bean soup with a salted duck egg

Then with the leftover produce, I made a savory filling for some pan-fried veggie pies. I don't know what they're called in English, but it's called xian bing in Mandarin. Sometimes they're filled with meat and meat-juice, but I made vegetarian versions.

Esch

Banned
nakedsushi, i gotta say you're the only person ive ever seen make a vegetarian lifestyle look appealing.

good stuff.

peakish

Delicious thread. I'll make a contribution since I've lurked it for so long, a Swedish dish called Raggmunkar, I was quite happy with the results.

Shredded potato mixed with some flour and an egg.

Fried like pancakes, eaten with ham (should be thicker and cut from the side of the pig, but I forgot to buy that) and apple compote.

thespot84

Delicious thread. I'll make a contribution since I've lurked it for so long, a Swedish dish called Raggmunkar, I was quite happy with the results.

Shredded potato mixed with some flour and an egg.

Fried like pancakes, eaten with ham (should be thicker and cut from the side of the pig, but I forgot to buy that) and apple compote.

that's called a latke if it's being eaten by jews...

Oh if you are willing to share please do! I did a random google search since I never made it before and this one was a bit simplistic.

My mother liked the look of your dish, though she was thrown off by the inclusion of carrot. Though carrot does go well with the dish, But its usually pickled and served on the side (along with pickled daikon) like banchan.

My mother's recipe:

Pork Belly: 3lbs

2 cans coconut juice

12 Eggs

1/2 cup Fish Sauce

1 tbls salt

Caramel (1/2 sugar, 1/4 cup water)

1) Brown pork belly in pot with salt and fish sauce. No oil

2) Then add caramel and coconut juice

3) Add hard boiled eggs

I'll make it sometime and post pictures.

Zyzyxxz

My mother liked the look of your dish, though she was thrown off by the inclusion of carrot. Though carrot does go well with the dish, But its usually pickled and served on the side (along with pickled daikon) like banchan.

My mother's recipe:

Pork Belly: 3lbs

2 cans coconut juice

12 Eggs

1/2 cup Fish Sauce

1 tbls salt

Caramel (1/2 sugar, 1/4 cup water)

1) Brown pork belly in pot with salt and fish sauce. No oil

2) Then add caramel and coconut juice

3) Add hard boiled eggs

I'll make it sometime and post pictures.

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try, the recipe I used didn't have coconut juice. The carrots were for the hell of it, I wanted it to be somewhat healthy lol.

trilobyte

Dinner tonight!

Chicken in a homemade teriyaki marinade
Stuffed with spinach, mushroom, and montery-jack cheese
Served with a balsamic glaze

7advth3

My first stuffed chicken :) Also first time making any reduction. Technically it was my second time because I accidently caramelized the first try :p

I wanted to use mozerella, but montery-jack cheese actually worked rather well!

Dinner tonight!

Chicken in a homemade teriyaki marinade
Stuffed with spinach, mushroom, and montery-jack cheese
Served with a balsamic glaze

7advth3

My first stuffed chicken :) Also first time making any reduction. Technically it was my second time because I accidently caramelized the first try :p

I wanted to use mozerella, but montery-jack cheese actually worked rather well!

You just can't beat that combination of ingredients and good cooking technique. Looks fantastic :^)

nakedsushi, i gotta say you're the only person ive ever seen make a vegetarian lifestyle look appealing.

good stuff.

Thanks! I'm not really vegetarian, but we mostly eat that way at home. Eating veggie at home justifies my meat parties when I go out hahaha.

That looks SO good! Recipe please!

It's so simple you probably don't need a recipe, but here goes:

1 bunch garlic chives (aka Chinese chive)
2 squares of baked tofu (I use the 5-spice kind)

Cut the chives into finger-long pieces and set aside. Slice the tofu into thick matchsticks, about the same width as a piece of chive. Put a few tsps of oil in a really hot wok and when it starts smoking, throw in the chives, 2-3 pinches of salt, and toss till the chives start wilting. If they get too browned, throw in a few teaspoons of water. When the chives are just about tender, throw in the baked tofu and stir fry some more. When the tofu is warmed through (1-2 minutes) taste it with the chives and add more salt if needed, then put onto a plate.

Got some more pictures of the vegetarian xian bing I made on Friday.

The hardest (but funnest!) part was wrapping it up. Home-made dough is so satisfying to wrap things with.
7398753218_dd26e0709e_m.jpg

7398753480_bab4883c64.jpg

pan-fry it

7398753534_b142b45980.jpg

The finished product (after I took a bite out of it)

So the post above just reminded me of something I've been wanting to try. I've dabbled in cooking for a good while now but nothing real serious pretty basic recipes or things I just made up.

Just graduated college so I have down time while I look for a job so want to get more into cooking. My thing i want to try is some dim sum, pork buns, etc type things. Does anyone have any good recipes for these?

los

That looks SO good! Recipe please!

I'd like to second this, especially if flowering chive is exactly what it sounds like. I've got a potted chive plant in my backyard which has been throwing up flowers recently and I'd love to be able to use them in something.

That looks so good.

Is the dough a pretty basic flour/salt/water affair or does it have some leavener?

No leavener. Flour, salt, water, sugar, oil.

So the post above just reminded me of something I've been wanting to try. I've dabbled in cooking for a good while now but nothing real serious pretty basic recipes or things I just made up.

Just graduated college so I have down time while I look for a job so want to get more into cooking. My thing i want to try is some dim sum, pork buns, etc type things. Does anyone have any good recipes for these?

Dim sum is some pretty advanced stuff. I haven't tried making pork buns before, but I did try making a vegetarian bun and it came out okay, but nothing like what you'd get in restaurants. For something more forgiving, maybe try pan-fried dumplings first? I don't really have any recipes for dumpling fillings since it's mostly a "make it up as I go" type thing for me.

If you're going to do a meat filling, I'd go with ground pork with some fat to it, chopped shrimp (raw), lots of chopped green onions, shiitake mushroom, salt and white pepper to taste. (to taste the filling without having to make a dumping, you can just microwave a little spoonful till the meat is done. That should give you the basic idea of how it'll taste in the dumpling)

I'd like to second this, especially if flowering chive is exactly what it sounds like. I've got a potted chive plant in my backyard which has been throwing up flowers recently and I'd love to be able to use them in something.

Oh, it's not western chive, which I think is what you're talking about. Flowering chive is flowering garlic chive:
http://www.foodsubs.com/HerbsAsian.html

I think if you use the small chive that you usually see topping scrambled eggs, you'd want to use A LOT of it to get the strong flavor.

Zyzyxxz

Oh, it's not western chive, which I think is what you're talking about. Flowering chive is flowering garlic chive:
http://www.foodsubs.com/HerbsAsian.html

I think if you use the small chive that you usually see topping scrambled eggs, you'd want to use A LOT of it to get the strong flavor.

Regular chive won't produce the same taste since its so mild in flavor so a lot really means A LOT. What she is referring to is also known as nira in Japanese so if you have a Japanese market if may be labeled as nira and it actually looks like grass.

ShinAmano

More BBQ pictures...sorry, that's all I care to do in the summer for the most part. =P

The racks were too long for my available surface so I rolled them up and held them in place with metal skewers.

Ribs glazed with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I usually put on agave nectar and then sprinkle on a coat of brown sugar and wrap them in foil. This makes meat candy. I like it, others don't.

Chicken rubbed in olive oil and spices. Brought the smoker up to 350 to attempt to smoke and get crisp skin. It's harder than it looks...

Crust is starting to form on the chicken. The skin wasn't as crispy as I liked but holy shit was it ever delicious.

I have never seen that method for ribs...why not just cut them before the cook? I just did three racks last weekend that were 'too big' and ended up splitting one befroe coking.

I did the 3-2-1 method for the first time and they were god like.

The chicken looks tasty...I have smoked turkey before but never chicken...I might have something to try this weekend.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Roast marinated pork tenderloin, first time cooking tenderloin.
My friend tells me it looks like I chopped off a limb and broiled it and I cannot disagree. Plating it only made it look like I sliced up my forearm so no pics :(

My mistake was cooking it to 150 internal temperature cause now it's call cooked through. It wouldn't be as bad if it was nice and pink on the inside.

Oh well, live and learn.

Zyzyxxz

Roast marinated pork tenderloin, first time cooking tenderloin.

My friend tells me it looks like I chopped off a limb and broiled it and I cannot disagree. Plating it only made it look like I sliced up my forearm so no pics :(

My mistake was cooking it to 150 internal temperature cause now it's call cooked through. It wouldn't be as bad if it was nice and pink on the inside.

Oh well, live and learn.

Stop cooking the meat when its 10 degrees from where you want it to be and let it rest. The residual heat will usually finish it off.

^-- That's the thing I don't like about cooking meat. It seems like to get it perfect, you need to use a thermometer and get all technical with it.

Made a quick dinner tonight:

Spaghetti with garlic, tons of parsley, crushed chili pepper, tomatoes. Lemon, salt, and pepper for seasoning. Put an egg on it.

Hairy balls for dessert.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I tried this, and it feels the same with every finger.

From above article:
This is one of those things that gets easier with practice. The next time you cook a steak, even if you are still planning to rely on a meat thermometer, press on the meat here and there while it cooks, and compare the feeling of the meat with the following finger test. With practice, you will become more confident.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have never seen that method for ribs...why not just cut them before the cook? I just did three racks last weekend that were 'too big' and ended up splitting one befroe coking.

I did the 3-2-1 method for the first time and they were god like.

The chicken looks tasty...I have smoked turkey before but never chicken...I might have something to try this weekend.

Just another way to do them...

ribs3.jpg

I should probably just invest in a standing rib rack at some point.

Smoked chicken is incredibly moist/tender....just gotta get that heat high enough to get the skin crispy. Taste wise it was epic...gonna try air drying the skin with salt rubbed in next time to see if i can pull some of the moisture out of it.

trilobyte

I tried this, and it feels the same with every finger.

Put the finger on the spot of the hand and hold it there. Now move each finger to your thumb, one at a time, while keeping your finger on that spot. Notice how the muscle tension changes as you move up and down

This should give you a better idea - then you'll be able to spot the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom