• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeEtw.jpg

Good eatin'!

Crumble: Those multigrain tortialls from before, Naked Blue----essentially their plainest variety that uses blue corn. Honestly, pretty meh to me---much prefer the standard with more ingredients livening it up.

Cheese: Raw Milk Monterrey Jacques Goat Milk Now we're talking! Super smooth, super creamy, nice melt---just damned wonderful and the remainder is very likely destined for a bowl of grits somewhere early next week with some cajun seasoned bison jerky.

dyonPT

Beautiful! Will try these for sure dyon. Love your blog btw. ;)

Thanks!! If you do, please post here the results :)

Very happy to know that, thank you! :)

Looks great dyon. And I see you finally got an avatar. :b

Yeah, finally :) And of course...cookie monster!

those walnuts look like little spaceships.

yeah, some of the picures they do :D

I always thought they were like little brains. Delicious, nutty brains..... Haarrrggghhhhh braaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnzzzzzzz.

True!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
In sunny San Fran at the moment, and went to a friends place in Mountain View for some discussion and a barbeque collaboration.

Cambozolla blue cheese, barbequed figs, and barbequed spring onions
396803_10150813549394364_1345176733_n.jpg

Barbequed fillet steak with barbeque vegetable skewers (zucchini, sweet onion, red pepper, and button mushrooms)
549665_10150813549234364_1889255730_n.jpg

LOVE Costco! You get a different selection depending on where you go though. It's always fun seeing what you can find.

Yeah but that's also one of the disappointments of Costco. Sometimes things are there for only a short amount of time and then when you come back to get some more, NO MORE! I guess that's why it's good to buy in bulk.

I love summer! Got the sweetest, freshest corn in a long time at the farmer's market and some great avocados so I made a topping for bread:

Ken

So I have a bunch of cake flour that needs to be used before it expires. Could anyone suggest some simple recipes that use it? @_@

Went with a cast iron pizza tonight.

Wheat crust, splash of pizza sauce, baked chicken breast, bacon, fresh basil and tomatoes from our garden and mozzarella cheese.

Super yum.

Thanks to GAF for this thread!

Embrace impending doom then as they will shift off in a couple weeks for about a month as I'll be cut off from any new supplies and just knocking around a shredded Sargento bag or so.

Like when this happened last year though, I will take a pic of some other odd thing I whip up while doing without...

Zyzyxxz

Embrace impending doom then as they will shift off in a couple weeks for about a month as I'll be cut off from any new supplies and just knocking around a shredded Sargento bag or so.

Like when this happened last year though, I will take a pic of some other odd thing I whip up while doing without...

I'd be interested in seeing what else you eat. Man cannot live alone on flatbread, or can he?

Thanks all, though there will not be much really---I'm going to be trapped in the house for pretty much the month on account of the parental vacation and my medical woes leaving me not fit to drive as per usual outside of hopefully getting out to a great eatery each Friday night via a good friend and maybe a quick stop at a grocery store alongside it.

So, think moreso stuff slap dashed together.

That Gaspar's Chourico, the "hot" version and not the "hot hot" one turned out pretty good last night with some potatoes though I didn't get any pictures----first time I've had something of a "dry" sausage, even though there was clearly a bit of oil to it in the plate. Still one piece to go and hopefully the Linguica is just as good even if different somewhat outright.

Corto

Last day of summer holiday chuif chuif ;_;

Really simple and delicious traditional cod dish for lunch today: Bacalhau à Brás

Sauteed oignons and garlic (lot of oignon as I love its sweetness), add the shredded cod and let it cook until a bit firm. Add fried straw potatoes ( I prefer to use bagged fries as they keep some crispiness and don't get as saggy after cooking). Quickly add some whipped eggs preseasoned with salt and pepper to taste, involve the mix until the eggs start to coagulate. Decorate with olives and parsley (a lot of).

Profit

d7a1c512.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
You had me at egg. Looks amazing.

thanks! they were really great. straight up.

How to make these corn cakes? Looks so good. I love corn and I love fried stuff and this seems to be a mix of both.

they're pretty easy. lemme hammer out a rough recipe for you.

4 large ears corn
3 tbsp diced onion
1 tbsp diced jalapeno
chopped cilantro
1 egg
2 tbsp cream or milk
3 tbsp yellow corn meal
3 tbsp all purpose flour
cumin, chili powder, other mexican spices to your liking
1-2 tsp salt (i like salty, so i use more)

take two ears of the corn and cut off the kernels into a big bowl. using the large teeth of a box grater, grate the remaining two ears of corn into a sort of milky corn paste. add this corn paste to the other kernels, along with the onion, jalapeno, cilantro, egg, and cream/milk.

in a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. stir to combine. add to corn mixture and stir in, just until combined. it will look really corny and like it's not going to hold together in the pan. it will, but it'll just be a little delicate.

fry 1 cup of the batter in a pat of butter or a tablespoon of oil on medium-high heat. when you put the batter in the pan, you'll need to flatten it down with the spatula and gather it in tight on itself to form the patty. i fried on the first side 5-6 minutes (my stove kinda sucks), then used a plate to invert the pan and gently flip the cake, slide it back in the pan, and finish the other side.

if you like corn, and you like fried, this is definitely for you.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it next week when I get more fresh, sweet, corn. Interesting tip about the milky thing in corn. I never know if anyone else uses it, but I use it for corn chowder too. I like taking the kernels off, and then you kinda run the back edge of your knife along the cob and all this white stuff comes out (har har har!). Yum.

Made dinner tonight to go with a new wine (txakolina) we picked up.

7696034042_5c160ba7b7.jpg

smashed potatoes with rosemary

7696034474_06484b88fc.jpg

fried okra with orange tomatoes and fresh cayenne. Yes I have my game-face on when tossing.

7696034722_40803fbe3b.jpg

green beans with preserved lemon (top left)

7696034824_6c3021e0f1.jpg

my husband made these toast thing with a goat cheese and paprika spread topped with sun dried tomatoes and capers (recipe: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/vegetariantapasrecipes/r/goatcheesetomat.htm)

Zyzyxxz

7696034474_06484b88fc.jpg

fried okra with orange tomatoes and fresh cayenne. Yes I have my game-face on when tossing.

DAT TOSS.
KuGsj.gif

Not food related but my brother borrowed my camera to go to Japan so I haven't been able to take food pics unless I want to deal with shitty Instagram but I do want to show off my new babies.

Tojiro 240mm kiritsuke and 120mm petty knife added to the lineup. My Global is almost obsolete except for the fact that I will still use it for tomatoes and citrus.
553549_10101444105013834_51584280_n.jpg

I make salsa for my co-workers a couple of times a week. Very healthy and 10000 times better than anything you'll get in a jar. I throw it in a frying pan with chicken a lot. We also like to take it to Mexican restaurants. Their food can be decent but I have yet to find one that has good salsa.

http://intravising.com/GAF/salsa1.jpg

Ingredients
- Roma tomatoes
- Yellow onions
- Jalapeno peppers
- Habanero peppers (optional if you don't like heat, but the fruity flavor is awesome)
- Cilantro
- Garlic salt

Also needed
- Cutting board,
- Mixing bowl
- Sharp ass knife

http://intravising.com/GAF/salsa2.jpg
Chop it all up

salsa4.jpg

Mix it all together, add some garlic salt and stir some more

Looks delicious. Few questions. Can i use something instead of the cilantro/koriander? I absolutely despise koriander and the taste ruins every dish for me if it's in it. Did you chop up all the Habanero peppers? Why not use fresh garlic instead of the garlic salt?

Eiolon

Looks delicious. Few questions. Can i use something instead of the cilantro/koriander? I absolutely despise koriander and the taste ruins every dish for me if it's in it. Did you chop up all the Habanero peppers? Why not use fresh garlic instead of the garlic salt?

I don't like cilantro too much myself. I barely notice it (more so when smelling than tasting it). But if its something that is bothering you then just leave it out. You could possibly try basil leaves if you are looking for color.

Yes, hand chopped everything. Some day I may get smart and invest in a food processor. :)

I did use fresh garlic a few times but I still added some salt. You could go either way. I tried it without salt in general and none of us cared for it as much.

This seems like a good place to ask... I have this cast iron skillet that has quite a bit of rust on it. I was just going to buy a new one but I was told that there's a way to get the rust off. I searched on Google and found lots of directions but a lot of them contradicted each other. So I thought maybe it would be better if I asked here to see if any one knew how to clean rust.

Zyzyxxz

Pretty. Is the 120mm going to be your paring knife? How easy is that to sharpen? I'm tired of having crappy paring knives, even though I hardly use them.

Yup, as for sharpening I think it shouldn't be too hard but I'll have yet to try since my new knives are scary sharp.

Pepto

Banned
So I got this big piece of very good quality parmesan as a gift. What is the best way to make sure it doesn't go bad?

Corto

This seems like a good place to ask... I have this cast iron skillet that has quite a bit of rust on it. I was just going to buy a new one but I was told that there's a way to get the rust off. I searched on Google and found lots of directions but a lot of them contradicted each other. So I thought maybe it would be better if I asked here to see if any one knew how to clean rust.

Not that I've used this method personally but this was what I got from my googling:

http://blackirondude.blogspot.pt/2009/01/easy-cast-iron-skillet-reconditioning.html

Seems a pretty sound method.

Ok cooking gaf got a quick question for you. In looking at moving into an apartment and they don't allow grills. I really enjoy grilling steaks, veggies, chicken etc. right now I just cook on a standard propane grill, how much different is it going to be grilling on a grill pan? Am I really gonna be missing out?

CrankyJay

Banned
Experimenting with some sweet potato chili...no meat!

sweet potatoes
carrots
green pepper
black beans
diced tomatoes
garlic
onions
vegetable broth

XxyDtl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom