• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Had a premiere yesterday: charbroiled burgers with blue cheese topping and sauteed mushrooms instead of salad. was delicious.

I just got an really really cheap ice-cream maker. I don't expect much from it, but any frozen sugary goodness works for me.

If you have access to your own mint I recommend making a mint chocolate chip from fresh mint. The intensity of the flavor is just astounding compared to what you get at a store.

Eiolon

I make salsa for my co-workers a couple of times a week. Very healthy and 10000 times better than anything you'll get in a jar. I throw it in a frying pan with chicken a lot. We also like to take it to Mexican restaurants. Their food can be decent but I have yet to find one that has good salsa.

salsa1.jpg

Ingredients
- Roma tomatoes
- Yellow onions
- Jalapeno peppers
- Habanero peppers (optional if you don't like heat, but the fruity flavor is awesome)
- Cilantro
- Garlic salt

Also needed
- Cutting board,
- Mixing bowl
- Sharp ass knife

salsa2.jpg

Chop it all up

salsa4.jpg

Mix it all together, add some garlic salt and stir some more

sauteed half a red onion and three diced sweet peppers in a half tablespoon of olive oil, then added about a cup of chopped button mushrooms, and sauteed that until they were soft. cranked the heat and kept everything moving with a wooden spoon to develop some fond on the bottom of the pan and give it some depth. scrape scrape scrape. tossed in about a tablespoon of soy for more umami, because i'm an umami-bomb fanatic. stirred in two teaspoons dried oregano, a teaspoon of chili powder, teaspoon dried mustard, and two teaspoons chopped garlic. everything was a little dry by then, and so i added about a half cup of crushed tomato to get everything moist again. all looked pretty good, so i went ahead and added 1/2 cup of cooked textured vegetable protein (TVP) that you can get in the refrigerated health food section of most stores (there's a wal-mart near me, which is a sure bet, if you have one nearby). also added about five chopped basil leaves and a ton of fresh thyme, which again, total sucker for fresh thyme and want it in everything. stirred that into my mixture, then added four to five tablespoons of good ol' simply heinz ketchup.

toasted the inside of the buns and piled it on. added the mustard for my girlfriend who insisted mustard was requisite.

note that i seasoned as i went along at a few different spots and didn't note it in my description (the onion & bell got salt and pepper, as did the mushrooms, and the tomatoes, then the final batch to taste).

maybe this narrative sort of recipe isn't what you were looking for, so i'll kinda lay out the ingredients at least for your use:

extra virgin olio
1/2 chopped red onion (mine was fairly large, but i love onion)
roughly 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (i used small sweet peppers, three of them)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked TVP (textured vegetable protein)
5 chiffonade basil leaves
butt-load fresh thyme
4-5 tablespoons good ol' simply heinz ketchup
girlfriend
bullseye of yellow ballpark mustard

i think you'll dig this. the TVP is a revelation to me.

sounds very tasty. i'll hunt it down as soon as possible. i take an oath.

I've never actually cooked with plain TVP, but I guess I gotta start doing that eventually.
Thanks for the recipe, it soudns really delicious.

Corto

Beelzebozo, I owe you a drink of your choice. Just tried the iron cast pan pizza and it was a family success. I only wish I had more time for the dough to rest but my wife and son were impatient and wanted to eat it today. Hehehehe

731c9d00.jpg

The photo doesn't make it justice. It was delicious and the crust felt just like focaccia.
ad320d0b.jpg

Edit: the small strips are strips of lean chicken ham that I used for the topping along with tomato, red bell pepper, diced chorizo, oignon, garlic and mushrooms and finally mozarella cheese. I included dry basil in the dough.

Saucy_XL

Banned
The posts about Tabasco got me wondering. As someone who is getting used to the heat of Tabasco, what is a good next step up heat wise? Nothing extreme like those hot sauces you can only add like a pinhead size to pots of soup, but something more spicy than tabasco.

UrokeJoe

I just got an really really cheap ice-cream maker. I don't expect much from it, but any frozen sugary goodness works for me.

Just got one as well. Costco has the Cuisinart CIM-22PC for $25 right now, Amazon price is around $50.

Anyways made a simple cookies and cream ice cream following the vanilla recipe that came with it. Flavor was good, but it came out kind of ice milky, I would like a smoother and creamier ice cream. I used half and half for reference.

Any suggestions, or pro ice creamers out there?

GManDH

is there a cooking thread or a cooking show thread, or some other cooking thread???

there is no NEXT STEP after tabasco. you just have to try sauces and get use to them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyways made a simple cookies and cream ice cream following the vanilla recipe that came with it. Flavor was good, but it came out kind of ice milky, I would like a smoother and creamier ice cream. I used half and half for reference.

Any suggestions, or pro ice creamers out there?

Use a recipe for French-style ice cream (or technically, frozen custard). Heavy cream + egg yolks = hnnnng

Also, using a small amount of invert sugar (which you can make yourself or just buy a small container of glucose, corn syrup, honey, etc) will help with smoothness and keep the ice cream from freezing hard.

UrokeJoe

Use a recipe for French-style ice cream (or technically, frozen custard). Heavy cream + egg yolks = hnnnng

Also, using a small amount of invert sugar (which you can make yourself or just buy a small container of glucose, corn syrup, honey, etc) will help with smoothness and keep the ice cream from freezing hard.

Thank you very much. Will do the research, just needed to know it was possible to do something with this thing. Love new things, but never thought I would try making ice cream.

Corto

I've just acquired several pounds of Bing cherries and I want to use them somehow. Any ideas on dishes that use a lot of cherries?

Cherries Clafoutis. Super easy to make and simply delicious. It's just a plate of cherries with a vanilla flavored custard baked in the oven until it gains a nice color. The only time consuming thing is taking the hard core from the cherries but it's a nice touch to add.

http://www.food.com/recipe/julia-childs-cherry-clafouti-239454

37694f7c.jpg

For extra cherriness do also the cherry compote that cosmicbus posted to use as dressing. Mnhom mnhom mnhom

The posts about Tabasco got me wondering. As someone who is getting used to the heat of Tabasco, what is a good next step up heat wise? Nothing extreme like those hot sauces you can only add like a pinhead size to pots of soup, but something more spicy than tabasco.

Well they all have different flavors but maybe something like Cholula or Valencia. A little hotter than those is Sriracha. And on the same lines as Tabasco there's Franks and Louisiana.

Are you trying to build up your spice tolerance? An alternative way to do that where you can gain more control over the level of spice is crushed red pepper. When you make pasta sauce or some sort of saute, put a little bit (a quarter teaspoon or less) in oil with chopped garlic and heat it up. Make sure it doesn't burn. Then continue with the other ingredients for sauce or whatever. If it tastes good to you, gradually start adding more next time you cook.

I like this method because it adds heat without any weird flavors like tabasco has.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are ridiculous. I'm ecstatic when I can make a salad without setting my kitchen on fire. I really want to learn how to cook, but I can't really find any good classes around me.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
A couple of wedding cakes from school this week. I worked on the cake on the right; it's entirely decorated with buttercream, which is much more difficult to do properly than a fondant cake (like on the left). I'm in the process of doing a smaller three-tier presentation cake on my own that I should have finished tomorrow.

599890_10151134292452433_1845361470_n.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A couple of wedding cakes from school this week. I worked on the cake on the right; it's entirely decorated with buttercream, which is much more difficult to do properly than a fondant cake (like on the left). I'm in the process of doing a smaller three-tier presentation cake on my own that I should have finished tomorrow.
Props, I've watched enough cake contests on Food Channel to have an idea of how much harder decorating using buttercream is.

TheExodu5

Banned

Sriracha. Adds a wonderful chilli and garlic flavor to many dishes.

UrokeJoe

joe2187

Banned
Wow.. that is too close for me to not come check it out. Had I ended up pursuing my culinary dreams, that looks like it'd be a nice place to work.

Well, I started as a dishwasher and am slowly working my way up. It's tough as hell and it's brutal on your body and will stress you the fuck out, but It gets better and I dont know what else I would rather be doing. We are also currently in the need for new prep cooks and dishwashers because I dont know how We're going to be able to pull off a Lunch shift with the amount of cooks and dishwashers we have, a man can only work so long in a day.

There's also a great Culinary school in downtown LA that is almost 100% free, all you really pay is a health fee of $12 every semester, its a trade school community college and it's one of the best in California, I dont mean to be an ass to the cordon bleu guys, but I would not want to be one the guys that got suckered into $60k worth of debt

599890_10151134292452433_1845361470_n.jpg

Seriously GREAT job! Even without knowing that one was buttercream and one fondant the detail on your cake is fantastic... unless they made those flowers in which case kudos to them!

Zyzyxxz

Well, I started as a dishwasher and am slowly working my way up. It's tough as hell and it's brutal on your body and will stress you the fuck out, but It gets better and I dont know what else I would rather be doing. We are also currently in the need for new prep cooks and dishwashers because I dont know how We're going to be able to pull off a Lunch shift with the amount of cooks and dishwashers we have, a man can only work so long in a day.

There's also a great Culinary school in downtown LA that is almost 100% free, all you really pay is a health fee of $12 every semester, its a trade school community college and it's one of the best in California, I dont mean to be an ass to the cordon bleu guys, but I would not want to be one the guys that got suckered into $60k worth of debt

Good advice about the culinary school in Downtown, LA. I want to emphasize don't spend 60K on culinary school unless you are rich, it won't help much in the field. Do some reading on basic knowledge like I did and you won't come in completely unprepared although I still learned a lot on the job. The trade school is a good deal since its so cheap only downside is that it is in a ghetto area of town but the campus itself is nice.

Still trying to find the time to come try it out maybe I'll come with my boss some day since he lives a few blocks away from the restaurant. Or I'll wait until lunch service since I'm basically working most nights.

*edit*

Some work in progress shots that hopefully will remember to take the final shots tomorrow.
So I got some lamb ribs/breast/belly brined and going into the immersion circulator.
7648961966_73d3985e24_z.jpg

One without seasoning other than the brine.
7648961140_479f50a512_z.jpg

One with a sichuan peppercorn and other spices. Both will be cooking @ 70C (158F) for about 20-24 hours. Then I will probably either fry them or give them a nice sear afterwards.
7648959872_a9295036ee_z.jpg

To be continued...

Corto

Great work Cosmic Bus and Zyzyxxz! I would love to try both your work so tell me when you guys come to Europe hehehe
Zyzyxxz, can't wait to see the end result of your experiment. ;)

I finally got/found a pack of 2 large pieces of Chourico today---which is reckon to be a spicier take on Linguica, which they also had at the store/never had before/also want but in a pack of 3, smaller pieces. Got yelled at by my mom on account of it not being some super-organic ultra-quality seeming instance of it, but hell I didn't start with such a state with my first hot dog or burger either so I'll start where I can.

Strongly guessing one just roasts one in the oven? Plan was to do that, possibly cutting it into rounds first, with some potatoes on the side early next week

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Seriously GREAT job! Even without knowing that one was buttercream and one fondant the detail on your cake is fantastic... unless they made those flowers in which case kudos to them!

Heh, no, they opted to just buy some inexpensive flowers at the store -- although they could've made some sugar or chocolate flowers if they were feeling more ambitious!

Here's the smaller cake I did myself today:

fcxk0.jpg

Spiced chocolate sponge with passion fruit mousse, buttercream, fondant, and some sugar pastillage rings. I definitely rushed to finish it this afternoon, so it doesn't look as nice as I wanted, but I'm reasonably content with things.

Yes Boss!

Back in germany. This is my very modest kitchen. I've had it for two years but never used it, and I was in the middle east for one of those years. Do plan on using it for the next couple of months. Will post what I come up with!

10b4ae3d.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
I make salsa for my co-workers a couple of times a week. Very healthy and 10000 times better than anything you'll get in a jar. I throw it in a frying pan with chicken a lot. We also like to take it to Mexican restaurants. Their food can be decent but I have yet to find one that has good salsa.

http://intravising.com/GAF/salsa1.jpg[mg]

Ingredients
- Roma tomatoes
- Yellow onions
- Jalapeno peppers
- Habanero peppers (optional if you don't like heat, but the fruity flavor is awesome)
- Cilantro
- Garlic salt

Also needed
- Cutting board,
- Mixing bowl
- Sharp ass knife

[img]http://intravising.com/GAF/salsa2.jpg[mg]
Chop it all up

[img]http://intravising.com/GAF/salsa4.jpg[mg]
Mix it all together, add some garlic salt and stir some more[/QUOTE]

I love habaneros so I plan to put this to good use. Thanks!

DJ_Lae

Anyone tried making seitan before? I've been poking around at various recipes online and some mention rinsing it as you're kneading it, some don't, and the kneading time varies drastically from some recipes to others. Obviously if the end product comes out decent I'd rather do as little work as possible but with it being gluten I'd imagine the texture might be more meatlike if it does get some kneading (with rubber being the worst case scenario I suppose).

I've been playing around with meatless options as my sister in law is over visiting and is vegetarian. I do eat vegetarian and vegan meals from time to time but other than tofu and legumes I tend to use premade meat substitutes for things like lasagna and spaghetti. Last night was my second attempt at making meatballs with TVP, and that, surprisingly, turned out pretty well (they were not vegan though). The weirdest part is that my two year old daughter loved them, and she's incredibly picky.

Anyone tried making seitan before? I've been poking around at various recipes online and some mention rinsing it as you're kneading it, some don't, and the kneading time varies drastically from some recipes to others. Obviously if the end product comes out decent I'd rather do as little work as possible but with it being gluten I'd imagine the texture might be more meatlike if it does get some kneading (with rubber being the worst case scenario I suppose).

I've been playing around with meatless options as my sister in law is over visiting and is vegetarian. I do eat vegetarian and vegan meals from time to time but other than tofu and legumes I tend to use premade meat substitutes for things like lasagna and spaghetti. Last night was my second attempt at making meatballs with TVP, and that, surprisingly, turned out pretty well (they were not vegan though). The weirdest part is that my two year old daughter loved them, and she's incredibly picky.

I've only made it using vital wheat gluten before, so I think it depends what you start out with. If using vital wheat gluten, you don't need to rinse since the non-gluten part is already mostly taken out for you. If you're making it from regular flour, then you do need to rinse since you only want to retain the gluten part and you rinse the starch or whatever away.

I made this vegan lunch meat from this site which was REALLY good and keeps for a while if you put it in the freezer: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06/veggie-lunch-meat.html

For dinner last night, I was starving when I got home and wanted to eat quickly. Luckily we had this huge zucchini growing in the garden so I whipped up uh....home-style zucchini. It's the zucchini version of home-style tofu you get at Chinese restaurants.

DJ_Lae

I've only made it using vital wheat gluten before, so I think it depends what you start out with. If using vital wheat gluten, you don't need to rinse since the non-gluten part is already mostly taken out for you. If you're making it from regular flour, then you do need to rinse since you only want to retain the gluten part and you rinse the starch or whatever away.

I made this vegan lunch meat from this site which was REALLY good and keeps for a while if you put it in the freezer: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06/veggie-lunch-meat.html

Oh that looks tasty.

And it seems I have a bag of vital wheat gluten, so I should be good. I won't be feeding it to my celiac cousin or anything, but I'll enjoy it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Back in germany. This is my very modest kitchen. I've had it for two years but never used it, and I was in the middle east for one of those years. Do plan on using it for the next couple of months. Will post what I come up with!

10b4ae3d.jpg

heeeeyyyyy, that looks almost like my university bachelor kitchen! the biggest achievement was to cook Spaghetti Bolognese for 13 (!) Persons on the two stovetops!

A quick and tasty lunch made by stuff I bought from Costco. I haven't gone there in years and finally dropped by a few days ago and the quality of the food stuff has gotten pretty good!

Cherry grape tomatoes, demi-baguette, norwegian smoked salmon. The baby zucchini I just picked from the yard. Went great with a glass of dry white wine. Ah the joys of having lunch at home!

Corto

What are those small bits on your previous zuchini dish nakedsushi? Really drooling with that photo. As for me, Potato and green beans tortilla with parsley. I can't get enough of this iron cast skillet! Hehe

609983a2.jpg

7da7f7c7.jpg

What are those small bits on your previous zuchini dish nakedsushi? Really drooling with that photo. As for me, Potato and green beans tortilla with parsley. I can't get enough of this iron cast skillet! Hehe
7da7f7c7.jpg

Chopped shiitake mushroom, garlic, and chilis in doubanjiang sauce. I think the non-vegetarian version of the dish would have ground meat, so I used chopped shiitake instead.

The egg thing looks great. Did you have to pre-cook the potatoes first and then pour in the egg? Whenever I try making something like this, the potatoes take FOREVER to cook.

Yes Boss!

heeeeyyyyy, that looks almost like my university bachelor kitchen! the biggest achievement was to cook Spaghetti Bolognese for 13 (!) Persons on the two stovetops!

Makes sense, as this building was made by a German company. It is actually a pretty good space and I never use more than one to two burners at once (and have not had gas since the 90s, so I'm used to electric). Range is by something called Rommellsbacher and seems like a glorified hot-plate but it boils water quickly. Exhaust hood is Seimans, so yep, German. And I've got 110 and 220 outlets, which is a convienence.

Corto

Yes. The potatoes and green beans are pre cooked for just a few minutes (can't really precise how much. I just stick a fork on one to decide) and then saute them in a bit of olive oil and then add the eggs. I didn't flip the tortilla, I just finished baking it in the oven. Thanks for the ingredients ;)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Beelzebozo, I owe you a drink of your choice. Just tried the iron cast pan pizza and it was a family success. I only wish I had more time for the dough to rest but my wife and son were impatient and wanted to eat it today. Hehehehe

The photo doesn't make it justice. It was delicious and the crust felt just like focaccia.
ad320d0b.jpg

pping along with tomato, red bell pepper, diced chorizo, oignon, garlic and mushrooms and finally mozarella cheese. I included dry basil in the dough.

looks INCREDIBLE! it really is a treat. so glad your family enjoyed it.

if and when i have little young'uns, i imagine i'll be cast iron pizza-ing them essentially nonstop.

A quick and tasty lunch made by stuff I bought from Costco. I haven't gone there in years and finally dropped by a few days ago and the quality of the food stuff has gotten pretty good!

Cherry grape tomatoes, demi-baguette, norwegian smoked salmon. The baby zucchini I just picked from the yard. Went great with a glass of dry white wine. Ah the joys of having lunch at home!

LOVE Costco! You get a different selection depending on where you go though. It's always fun seeing what you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom