• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpfd

Ok cooking gaf got a quick question for you. In looking at moving into an apartment and they don't allow grills. I really enjoy grilling steaks, veggies, chicken etc. right now I just cook on a standard propane grill, how much different is it going to be grilling on a grill pan? Am I really gonna be missing out?

I prefer steaks on a cast iron skillet to grilling but it will get smokey. 1:30 seconds per side on a red hot stove then 1:30 each side in a 500 degree oven. Med rare and perfect.

Also Go Bucks!!!

Ponpoi

Banned
No pics but I just tried out cooking Bibimbap for the first time today, and that shit's delicious. This is definitely happening again.

Wait until you delve into more of the many delcious foods of Korean cuisine! SO many. And there is also a stone pot version of bibimbap aka dol sot bibimbap. Its essentially the same as regular as far as ingredients go, but you will place it all in a stone pot. The rice will turn very nice and crispy; its amazing.

Versifier

Huzzah I can finally post! Started doing Keto last month... Delicious Keto type food!
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf Stuffed with Cheese

Plated for non-Keto follower

Made these today Sugar Free 0 Carb Gummies!
I didn't have proper candy molds so I just used an ice cube tray designed for water bottles. Ended up with about 80 pieces once I cut each length into sections.

PhiLonius

That meatloaf looks amazing.

You have a recipe for those gummies? Been messing around with a few the past few months but haven't found anything I've really liked.

Corto

jbhmPWtGYMSB3x.jpg

That's an illegal amount of bacon awesomeness. Great job. ;)

Versifier

That meatloaf looks amazing.

You have a recipe for those gummies? Been messing around with a few the past few months but haven't found anything I've really liked.

2 Packages Sugar free Jell-O Powder(10g packages - if using the larger 17g package only use one)
5 Pouches knox unflavoured gelatin
1/2 cup of cold water

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan
Heat over Medium-low heat until liquified and "smooth" - 3 to 5 minutes seemed to be plenty of time for this
Pour into whatever mold you are using
Put in freezer about 10 minutes
Unmold, Portion if required
Eat!

Worked it out on MFP to be about 180 calories and 48g protein per batch.
I think the flavour could be a little better on them. I might add some sort of flavoured extract or syrup to them next time.

PhiLonius

2 Packages Sugar free Jell-O Powder(10g packages - if using the larger 17g package only use one)
5 Pouches knox unflavoured gelatin
1/2 cup of cold water

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan
Heat over Medium-low heat until liquified and "smooth" - 3 to 5 minutes seemed to be plenty of time for this
Pour into whatever mold you are using
Put in freezer about 10 minutes
Unmold, Portion if required
Eat!

Worked it out on MFP to be about 180 calories and 48g protein per batch.
I think the flavour could be a little better on them. I might add some sort of flavoured extract or syrup to them next time.

Thx for this. Looks like I wasn't using enough basic gelatin.

My last few for awhile kicks off with a BANG!

1Imq1.jpg

Crumble: Late July Dude Ranch Here and there, as with other things of the past, I'd wondered if I'd ever come across something comparable to, if not superior than, the Cool(er) Ranch of Dorito lore----This Is It.

Cheese: Harlech Somerdale I said DAMN! First off, it has an odd sort of texture such that at one moment you'll be handling it and it'll feel like a soft or semi-soft but before you know it---gives way to crumbly then back again. There's various herb bits in it I can't quite identify due to the masterful blending job they pulled off. It smells quite nice and melts pretty decently.

Where this goes off the rails into a strange and wondrous locale is in the oil, of which there is a fair bit indeed. THIS STUFF IS MAGIC! By that, for whatever insane reason the likes of which I can't fathom, the taste of it is herbaceous with the real shocker being that "it tastes" like some sort of enchanted, distilled essence of "great seafood".

I've had some just straight up tasty, sweet, etc oils out of these cheeses before these many months...but nothing at all like the strange reaction this one has...nothing about this makes any sense...

As such, paired great with the chips for amazing bursts of flavour one after another.

Otherwise, I had my first jam in several years this morning---Mango Raspberry with Lime Juice, Butter, and Rum from a local at the Farmer's Market. While I'm not used to how chunky it was, I'd probably have choked had it been more finely done on account of what would then be Stealth Mango Fibers as opposed to their more overt form---an interesting way to start this Saturday.

Just cooked this steak. SOOOO good. I've eaten at quite a few steakhouses and honestly, this was as good as any of them. It pisses me off that I have paid $20-25 from the likes of Outback and other places and the steak couldn't touch this $10 steak that I made myself.

549717_10151068076324857_1835698064_n.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
pasta creation my girlfriend and i concocted.

we called it "woodsman pasta" -- sauteed portabello, cherry tomato, kale, garlic, and linguine in a mornay sauce, with tons of fresh thyme and italian parsley. we improvised it, but it was totally delicious and a blast.

Versifier

DAT WEAVE!

BTW what is Keto?

A couple of people already answered this but more info can't hurt its a low carbohydrate, high fat, moderate protein diet. See http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto and/or http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293 for more info regarding the science/thinking behind it.

Can you post the recipe? Looks fantastic.
http://cavemanketo.com/2012/02/09/bacon-mother-ing-explosion/ is the recipe I used as a starting point. I made a few changes, didn't grind my own meat, used 100% ground beef in the meat loaf itself, instead of making the internal bacon weave that is shown in the recipe I decided to spread 4 TBSP of sour cream on the inside of the meat loaf before I added the grated cheese and rolled it up. Next time I make it I'm pretty sure I will do a combo of ground beef and hot Italian sausage instead of just pure beef.

S'mores Cupcakes!

Just finished making these with my friends. We cheated with the frosting and used the marshmallow spread instead of making it from scratch. Everything else we made. Used some Hob-Nobs & graham crackers for the "crust".

5c11fe6b.jpg

99afe23d.jpg

dyonPT

7696034474_06484b88fc.jpg

fried okra with orange tomatoes and fresh cayenne. Yes I have my game-face on when tossing.

7696034722_40803fbe3b.jpg

green beans with preserved lemon (top left)

Great food! And love your tossing tecnique! :D

Tojiro 240mm kiritsuke and 120mm petty knife added to the lineup. My Global is almost obsolete except for the fact that I will still use it for tomatoes and citrus.
553549_10101444105013834_51584280_n.jpg

Love the knifes :)

Plated for non-Keto follower

Amazing!! Who doesnt love bacon? :)

Just cooked this steak. SOOOO good. I've eaten at quite a few steakhouses and honestly, this was as good as any of them. It pisses me off that I have paid $20-25 from the likes of Outback and other places and the steak couldn't touch this $10 steak that I made myself.

Now thats a steak!

This is what I do when I have free time at work:

RVjNi.jpg

Dat Cake...damm!!

S'mores Cupcakes!

Just finished making these with my friends. We cheated with the frosting and used the marshmallow spread instead of making it from scratch. Everything else we made. Used some Hob-Nobs & graham crackers for the "crust".

5c11fe6b.jpg

99afe23d.jpg

They look delicious! :)

Enigma5

I feel you on that! I hate ordering steak out because so many places cannot get it right!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
beautiful. are those macarons? what's under the icing?

I usually try to use up extra things left from earlier special orders I've made, so the components can end up being a bit of a random assortment. This was a red velvet cake, whipped cream in between layers, vanilla bean buttercream, and berry macarons, so it went decently well together. The staff doesn't seem to care what we make and they'll just devour it no questions asked.

I'm still pretty bad at macarons, which is why there were so many spares, heh.

The best steak I have had till date outside is at The Palm

I still need to try Ruth Chris, one of my foodie co-worker likes it a lot.

My family went to the Palm a number of years ago for New Years. I was so disappointed. To be fair, they were swamped but I had to have my steak redone. Though at the time, I ordered medium well which serves me right. I weep for all of those steaks that I ruined back in the day :(

SPEA

I'm not the best cook, but here is some of the stuff I've made lately.

Chicken over rice. Topped with a poached egg and a parsley lemon butter sauce.
photo5chick.jpg

Seared steak.
photo4.jpg

Sticky sesame chicken with a balsamic glaze.
photo3.jpg

Pasta with homemade pesto and pistachios.
photo2.jpg

Grey Sole Piccata With Grapes And Capers
photosole.jpg

SPEA

Sesame chicken recipe?
3AQmK.gif

pleeease

I kind of just winged it on the spot, but this is pretty much it.

http://bakedbree.com/honey-garlic-balsamic-chicken

- It's basically cook chicken. (make sure not to overcook it, it's gonna go in the pan again).
- Remove chicken from the pan
- Deglaze with chicken broth. Then add balsamic vinegar, honey, and garlic. Some recipes add lemon juice or orange zest or even brown sugar as well.
- Reduce that down till it gets thick.
- Add your chicken back in for a little bit with some sesame seeds.
- Eat :)

It's a really easy quick dinner recipe. Enjoy!

Zyzyxxz

Oh, I can't really tell. I've only had it maybe twice before at a sushi place. What's the difference between the collar and cheek?

"A" is where the cheek meat is, your collar may or may not come with it since if the cheek is prized by itself fishmongers may remove it to sell separately.

The collar is where "C" is and contains fatty meat and delicious goodness. Cheek may or may not be included depending on how it's cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom