• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

I'm up for some thematic culinary show-and-tell fun! Count me in too. ;)

As for something I have made lately that's notable to show:

Sopa Seca de Bacalhau (it means Cod fish dry soup in Portuguese):

61D644DC-D118-4C24-8837-2AE81A89FBAE-350-00000096D8D08B7E.jpg

It's a traditional Portuguese dish that can be made in many different ways depending on the region. It's simply thinly sliced bread layered with pre-cooked sliced cod, shredded chorizo and cabbage (think of it as a bread lasagna hehehe). After mounting it you then chop 3-4 cloves of garlic and lightly fry them in 1 cup of olive oil adding the water where the cod was cooked as soon as the garlic starts to gain some color. You then pour just enough of that liquid on the pan to cover 3/4 of the height of the pan. Put in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 200º C until it gains a nice golden color, but if you want to give a nice finish brush the surface with one whisked egg seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg 5 minutes before taking the pan out of the oven.

The bread must be just a bit on the hard side already. So buy a good dense wheat bread 2-3 days before preparing this if you want to try it.

Collete

It shouldn't be a contest IMO it should be a way to encourage others to cook and help educate others to be more creative.

That sounds good, I'm up for it!
Still, not sure what I would do if the challenge is like tandoori chicken.

I don't think grilling a tofu with the spices would do it same justice....

Oh! ooh! We could even have around-the-world-theme challenge where we go through national meals presented and taught by local gaffers of course.

Ah that sounds like a good suggestion!
Would be interested in making some European dishes.

Made some veggie pho for lunch today (my sinuses are completely blocked so this was good)

24RLp.jpg

I think I should have made my own vegetable stock, cause premade stocks tend to be really dark I suppose.

I screwed this recipe up at first, by placing a whole star anise instead of a pod of star anise.
I was freaking out about this but after adding some fresh squeezed lime, cilantro, green onions, and some siracha chili paste, it was actually good and refreshing!
Still next time I'll only put a dab of siracha cause it just burned my mouth, heh.

I'm sure we could come up with a ton of interesting themes, but starting off with an "around the world" series of food challenges would be interesting.

CRS

I didn't have any but it was delicious on its own!

I was really bummed when I made it and found out it was all out. Low point of the evening.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it now. I could have made my own. Damn it.

Might make some again tonight just so I can have it with the sauce.

Edit: ^2: No soy sauce or mustard powder. What to do? :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been away from gaf forever, but about 3 years ago I posted some pics of my attempt at my grandma's pasta sauce. I finally got a pasta roller this year and tried to make her lasagna and figured I'd give gaf a peak. I think it turned out quite well. Tasted almost exactly like hers.

Consists of fresh spinach pasta, a sauce that would probably be classified as ragu (carrots, onion, celery, mushroom, sausage, beef, and some tomato), a bechamel sauce, and a little bit of parmesan and romano.
8041565203_f8d30600ca_c.jpg
omggggg

Zyzyxxz

So got a new toy, whip cream charger. I sprung the extra money for the Gourmet version which can hold and dispense hot liquids unlike the lower end models.

I bought it specifically for the purpose of making a desert for this birthday dinner I will be catering for later this month. It's the recipe from El Bulli for microwaved spongecake. You can find many variations of the technique online.

8046265629_0494c76351_z.jpg

8046271758_b8320200bd_z.jpg

Once you get the hang of it you can go from scratch to spongecake within minutes it's pretty amazing but I'm still adjusting the recipe for my own usage and the cooking times. Original recipe says to microwave for 30 secs but each microwave is different and a second or two can make a difference. The texture is really nicely airy, fluffy, yet substantial enough as a cake.

ChanHuk

Banned
I made fish and chips. Apparently I suck at the "chips" part of it. The fish came out amazing, light and crispy. but god my chips were so soggy and bland.

I cut the potatoes into wedges (russet), put them into cold water to get rid of some of the starch. Oil at med/low. Par-fry it for a couple minutes. Remove, let cool and them turn up the oil to med/high. And finish them off for a couple of minutes. Remove, season with salt and some cayenne, but it was still eh.

Also homemade tartare sauce anyone?

Zyzyxxz

Okay, that is just too odd for me to pass up. Gonna have to find a way to try that out soon.

Takes some work because recipes don't state what size eggs to use. Also I don't have a scale at home but at work so I was using volumetric measurements instead of going by weight. Still it's a good start so I'm going to keep working on it.

I made fish and chips. Apparently I suck at the "chips" part of it. The fish came out amazing, light and crispy. but god my chips were so soggy and bland.

I cut the potatoes into wedges (russet), put them into cold water to get rid of some of the starch. Oil at med/low. Par-fry it for a couple minutes. Remove, let cool and them turn up the oil to med/high. And finish them off for a couple of minutes. Remove, season with salt and some cayenne, but it was still eh.

Also homemade tartare sauce anyone?

Try this recipe for fries, works great: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/perfect-french-fries-recipe.html

Also are you peeling the potatoes? The skin prevents it from achieving maximum crispiness.

ChanHuk

Banned
I didn't peel the potatoes. Noticed those recipes are for French fries rather than "chips" or I guess they'd be called home fries here in the states. My fries had no bite. I'm thinking about oven baking next time. Parboil then finish off in the oven, it'd be healthier too I assume.

Zyzyxxz

I didn't peel the potatoes. Noticed those recipes are for French fries rather than "chips" or I guess they'd be called home fries here in the states. My fries had no bite. I'm thinking about oven baking next time. Parboil then finish off in the oven, it'd be healthier too I assume.

Oh if you're baking them then no hope for you. Achieving that sort of crisp is difficult in an oven but the method will work for thick cut fries anyway.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So got a new toy, whip cream charger. I sprung the extra money for the Gourmet version which can hold and dispense hot liquids unlike the lower end models.

I bought it specifically for the purpose of making a desert for this birthday dinner I will be catering for later this month. It's the recipe from El Bulli for microwaved spongecake. You can find many variations of the technique online.

Once you get the hang of it you can go from scratch to spongecake within minutes it's pretty amazing but I'm still adjusting the recipe for my own usage and the cooking times. Original recipe says to microwave for 30 secs but each microwave is different and a second or two can make a difference. The texture is really nicely airy, fluffy, yet substantial enough as a cake.

I HAVE to crank this out during one of my next dinner parties.

I've never seen a cream whipper in NZ, but Google suggests a couple of places I can get one here.

How long do the individual N2O charges last?

Yes Boss!

It shouldn't be a contest IMO it should be a way to encourage others to cook and help educate others to be more creative.

I'm in. I move back to the states next week and plan on cooking again.

Zyzyxxz,

What is a good day and time to come to your restaurant. I'll be visiting the parents in Laguna Niguel and plan to mske a couple of trips to the Arclight in LA to catch a few movies.

Zyzyxxz

I'm in. I move back to the states next week and plan on cooking again.

Zyzyxxz,

What is a good day and time to come to your restaurant. I'll be visiting the parents in Laguna Niguel and plan to mske a couple of trips to the Arclight in LA to catch a few movies.

Tuesday-Saturdays 5pm to at least midnight, if not 1AM. Although earlier is better on weekends to avoid possible parties we may have reserved. Unless you like those skanky girls.

I HAVE to crank this out during one of my next dinner parties.

I've never seen a cream whipper in NZ, but Google suggests a couple of places I can get one here.

How long do the individual N2O charges last?

Well some recipes tell you to charge it twice as well but one charge should last enough to dispense the entire cannister.

Yes Boss!

Tuesday-Saturdays 5pm to at least midnight, if not 1AM. Although earlier is better on weekends to avoid possible parties we may have reserved. Unless you like those skanky girls.

Cool. I should be in OC the last two weeks of October. I'll try to make it in.

Also, kinda cool, my twin brother is taking a year and making cheese. He has already made it through a lot of the easier ones like paneer, marscapone, cream cheeses. He is getting serious and has a temperature-controlled fridge and everything and going to move on to aged cheeses. He has a cool setup, which I plan to check out in San Francisco:

A33138F2-DDD8-4712-868B-6B4918D3AD71-8909-000008EAB5B137EF.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Right. So when they say "charge" it uses up a whole individual charge canister?

Yup, so as long as you don't unscrew the entire top it won't leak out and you can dispense until all the n20 is gone. But after putting in the first n20 cartridge you can take it out and put in another one to put more n20 in the chamber to aerate the liquid even more. That may be necessary depending on the application but for something like a thick cake batter then that's where it is needed.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yup, so as long as you don't unscrew the entire top it won't leak out and you can dispense until all the n20 is gone. But after putting in the first n20 cartridge you can take it out and put in another one to put more n20 in the chamber to aerate the liquid even more. That may be necessary depending on the application but for something like a thick cake batter then that's where it is needed.

Cool. Will make sure to get enough charges for some experimentation, practice and beyond.

Any brand of whipper you would recommend? ISI seems to be the brand on hand here in NZ looking around online.

Keen said:
N2O also gives a nice, if short, high when inhaled :p

I'll bear that in mind.

Ok cookin gaf wondering if anyone can help me. A local greek place has this white creamy dressing they put on thier gyros and greek fries. It is very garlicy, and I know its not Tzatziki as it has no cucumbers in it, plus they serve that separately. Anyone have any idea what this is called or a recipe for it? I assume it is yogurt based of some sort.

Ok cookin gaf wondering if anyone can help me. A local greek place has this white creamy dressing they put on thier gyros and greek fires. It is very garlicy, and I know its not Tzatziki as it has no cucumbers in it, plus they serve that separately. Anyone have any idea what this is called or a recipe for it? I assume it is yogurt based of some sort.

I think I've had something like that in Sweden:

2. Vit kebabsås: Blanda matlagningsyoghurt och majonnäs. Pressa ner vitlöken. Krydda med salt. Förvara svalt till servering.

It's basically just yoghurt, mayo, pressed garlic, and some seasoning (ranging from just salt to chili/pepper/herbmixes depending on what recipe you're using).

Could this be what you're talking about?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/skordalia-greek-potato-and-garlic-dip-recipe/index.html

I have a couple Mediterranean places nearby that serve some amazing garlic sauces too, I always wondered what they were. One of them seems yogurt based, while the other places (a Lebanese one) seems far more concentrated. I guess I'll just ask them next time.

No thats not it, I saw that last night while search for it. It has dairy it in, its very creamy, white with some herbs in it.

Zyzyxxz

Cool. Will make sure to get enough charges for some experimentation, practice and beyond.

Any brand of whipper you would recommend? ISI seems to be the brand on hand here in NZ looking around online.

I bought an iSi, they are a pretty reputable brand.

Collete

Ok cookin gaf wondering if anyone can help me. A local greek place has this white creamy dressing they put on thier gyros and greek fries. It is very garlicy, and I know its not Tzatziki as it has no cucumbers in it, plus they serve that separately. Anyone have any idea what this is called or a recipe for it? I assume it is yogurt based of some sort.

I think I've had something like that in Sweden:

It's basically just yoghurt, mayo, pressed garlic, and some seasoning (ranging from just salt to chili/pepper/herbmixes depending on what recipe you're using).

Doing some google searches and google translate on SquiddyBiscuit's info, one site tells me it served at kebab restaurants. So it might be it?
There's another recipe I found as well if you're interested.

"We served this sauce when we cooked a good Kebab at home, so incredibly good!

Preparation time: 2 minutes
Serves: about 1 cup to 4 people

Ingredients:
250 g plain yogurt
1 clove of garlic
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli pepper powder

Cooking time:
Clean the garlic and divide it into 4 pieces pieces depending on how big it is.

Then mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you father an even and smooth cream. If you have time, let it stand in the refrigerator for an hour so the flavors will absorb."

It looks like this:
fbYbQ.jpg

http://paradiserecipe.com/2010/12/15/salsa-kebab-bianca/?lang=se

And then I guess you can experiment with spices and herbs of your choosing.
Not really an expert on this.

Milchjon

So, I'm finally taking the plunge to try to become vegetarian.

The thing is, I LOVE meat. Like half my diet is based on meat products.

I'll first do a test run. Did one a few years ago for a week and couldn't stand it, but I'll try to do better this time.

So, how do I make this easier for me? Any tips from vegetarians in here?

What are some protein rich vegetarian options?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

I'll first do a test run. Did one a few years ago for a week and couldn't stand it, but I'll try to do better this time.

vegan? ovo/ovo-lacto vegetarian? pesco-vegetarian?

and why? medical reasons?

TheExodu5

Banned

Does it kind of have the consistency of a thick whipped cream? Fluffy, yet somewhat dense, and with a very strong garlic flavor? That's what shawarma garlic sauce looks like in Ottawa. I'm still not sure how it's made...

I can tell you it's not yoghurt based. It may just be oil whipped with garlic and other spices.

Most of our Shawarma places here are Lebanese owned.

It looks like this:
3977006380_452f3f98db.jpg

Does it kind of have the consistency of a thick whipped cream? Fluffy, yet somewhat dense? That's what shawarma garlic sauce looks like in Ottawa. I'm still not sure how it's made...

I can tell you it's not yoghurt based. It may just be oil whipped with garlic and other spices.

No, its more like a dressing consistency, ranch, etc.

Collete

Hm, if I smell something really good from meat, I think to myself "That animal died for me for what cost?"
That's one tip if you are tempted with meat again.

Something to consider, is going to the freezer section of the grocery store, they have a lot of fake meats that make the process a little easier.
(Key is moderation however, since fake meat substitutes are loaded with sodium).
I don't recommend going "cold turkey" on meat, chances are you'll go back to meat if you drop everything out of the blue.
Make it a gradual process, by eliminating meat from a meal a week and replacing them with balanced foods.

Depending if you're going to be lacto-ovo or ovo, you can still have milk which is in itself good protein.
Focus on lentils, beans, legumes, rice noodles (I didn't know they had so much protein in just one serving!), daal and even tofu assuming you prepare it right.
A basic rice and beans recipe can be a complete balanced protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom