• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyonPT

Today was my nephew baptism and I made this souvenirs to about 50 people. It was a great day, everybody loved the sweets :)

DSC04762_2.jpg

DSC04794.JPG

DSC04762_2.jpg

DSC04794.JPG

DSC04511_2.jpg

DSC04396_2.jpg

DSC04547_2.jpg

DSC04610_2.jpg

:)

So I did a bastardized version of nakedsushi's leftover xian bing, as I had no fancy ingredients:

Chopped up some closed-cup mushroom, onion, garlic, and red bell pepper.

.... and added some quorn instead of tofu.

Ground ginger, black pepper, salt, and sesame paste was added to the mix which was fried for a couple of minutes.

My sorry excuse for a wrapping (it was really tricky closing it up, but I managed)

And done!
It was pretty okay actually.

Hey that looks pretty good! Using sesame paste for richness and a binder is also a neat idea. Maybe I'll try that one out next time.

Ignoring the gross mess I left so I could serve dinner:

xsUwi.jpg

Rib eye bone-in with garlic infused slightly sauted broccoli, mushroom, and greenbeans.

My odd method for cooking the meat:

Salt, pepper, and avocado oil smeared on each side. Then my grill is turned down to loooow. Not sure how low this is because I have three settings on my electric grill (gas/charcoal prohibited). Let them cook for a good hour or so, flipping every once in awhile. Once they reached near rare, I pulled them off and threw them into a REALLY hot pan with more avocado oil to sear them on each side. Rested for a few minutes and served!

Was pink and delicious in the middle with a nice crust.

Hey that looks pretty good! Using sesame paste for richness and a binder is also a neat idea. Maybe I'll try that one out next time.

Sesame paste really nailed it for me, and it was my attempt of replacing the sesame oil I lacked. I'll try to pick up some more authentic ingredients next time I make these (I sadly had nothing to dip them in, but they were still tasty).

Kenka

You actually think it looks good?!
Wow, I never actually got a compliment on my cooking before!
Yes, Oomikami, it does look friendly and tasty. Thank you also for your compliment on my daal ;)

But overall, youu guys are really good. Browsing this thread puts a smile on my face.

Collete

My solution is simply to try various dishes from around the world - always cooking new stuff and noting down what works and doesn't.
Start with some basic stuff, french/italian/german/english (yeah) cuisine, and then spread your wings and try various asian/sub-asian cuisines and so on.

It's the other way around for me!
I'm Indian so I eat my fair share of Asian food daily.
I'm usually not a fan of Western food either (I'm too picky *sigh*) but still trying to find good recipes for that.

Going to make some rice and beans later to help replace lost nutrients over past few days.
Thank you for the advice!

Today was my nephew baptism and I made this souvenirs to about 50 people. It was a great day, everybody loved the sweets :)

*amazing cookies*

:)

You are truly a master at baked goods every time I see your photos!
Good job as always!

Tonight's pot roast, finally not a bad result...
lsAoXl.jpg

That rosemary...
I can never find whole rosemary that beautiful here (missing the point of the image...)!
Nice though!

Yes, Oomikami, it does look friendly and tasty. Thank you also for your compliment on my daal ;)

But overall, youu guys are really good. Browsing this thread puts a smile on my face.

No problem! It looks like something I can eat for a change!
I'm pretty much a newbie chef, I don't know about everyone else but I'm not good when it comes to this stuff.
(My passion for cooking won't die though!)

Made some turmeric/chili scrambled eggs with white rice for lunch but was too hungry to take a picture!
They don't look any different from any other scrambled eggs, so not much to look at I suppose. :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Made my first curry tonight. Chicken cashew. Made up the recipe but, not knowing what I was doing curry wise, tasted kind of average as a result. Neither as hot or as creamy as I would have liked it. Also, out of focus photo, doh.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm trying something new. An electric roaster oven on loan from my mom.

I'm hoping to slow cook some beef ribs. 200F for several hours. Lets see what happens.

i67uPeRQkPwCR.jpg

Collete

I'm trying something new. An electric roaster oven on loan from my mom.

I'm hoping to slow cook some beef ribs. 200F for several hours. Lets see what happens.

i67uPeRQkPwCR.jpg

Spice rub looks good, what did you put on it?

Tasted something called a "black magic cake" at Whole Foods; it's literally the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted.
So, I decided to take a shot at baking it.
(My first legit cake from scratch!)

So here it is black magic cake! Also does a cake made from scratch taste different than commercial made cakes? I could be wrong but the cake I made tastes different than ones I'm used to.

6OU5Z.jpg

hxQAi.jpg

g5Blc.jpg

xT5cV.jpg

Ganache for cupcakes

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Spice rub looks good, what did you put on it?

It's a super secret special blend that I make in my kitchen..

I'm kidding this is IronGAF I'll tell you guys my secrets.

1/3 cup smoked paprika
3 tbs Garlic powder
3 tbs Onion powder
2 tbs Dry Mustard
2 tbs Mexican Chili powder
1 tbs Cumin
1 tbs Coriander
1 tbs Brown Sugar
Salt
Pepper

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Has anybody done David Changs Ginger Scallion sauce? I made this for Salmon and I don't think it turned out right. Anyone used it successfully.

Zyzyxxz

Has anybody done David Changs Ginger Scallion sauce? I made this for Salmon and I don't think it turned out right. Anyone used it successfully.

I've made it before, it was nothing like the chinese version which many take out places have (and is superior to his too).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
8022570908_c59e89689b_z.jpg

Lamb burger with roasted tomatoes, red onion, baby spinach, and feta. Prepped the patty with mint, lemon zest, parsley, onion, pesto and some basics (bread crumbs, salt, tomato paste). Turned out pretty tasty.

Hello Iron Gaf,

I stumbled onto some sliced pork belly for quite cheap at my local grocer. It pretty much looks like thick, uncured bacon.

Now I'm looking for something to do with it. Trouble is, most pork belly preparations I've found on the internet involve a whole roast, braised in saucy succulent goodness.

As these are just slices, I don't think that's an option. Can anyone suggest any kind of preparation I can do with these that would be tasty? I'm hoping for something asian-inspired.

Right now I'm leaning towards giving them a small soak in some soy sauce and then grilling them for a few minutes with a spicy rub I make sprinkled on top, but beyond that, I'm not really sure what to do. Any thoughts?

Zyzyxxz

You can grill em quickly and they shouldn't be too chewy since it's thin slices. After that you can stir fry em with bean sprouts and scallions goes great with rice.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made a corn, potato and leek soup with some spice from a dried thai chili and a chipotle. Topped it with bacon and spring onion. Perfect fall dinner.

59Qj2l.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Made a corn, potato and leek soup with some spice from a dried thai chili and a chipotle. Topped it with bacon and spring onion. Perfect fall dinner.

59Qj2l.jpg

I'm actually looking into making a potato soup later today, so a recipe for this would be perfect!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm actually looking into making a potato soup later today, so a recipe for this would be perfect!

It's more of a corn soup, but sure!

Brown two cloves of garlic in a pot (no need to chop, just crush or leave in whole) until golden

Add one chopped onion, a bay leaf, corn from two cobs, a dried thai chili, here I added some fried chopped potatoes left over from the previous day, that I had fried with leeks. But just chop potatoes and fry along with the rest of the stuff.
I also added Paprika and ancho chili powder (I used a whole chipotle soaked in hot water until soft and then roughly chopped, instead of the chili powder).

Fry for a bit.

Add wine or white wine vinegar, water + bullion cube. I also added some pork flavored seasoning. Simmer for a while (until potatoes are soft). I didn't measure, and I also added a bit of the water from softening the chipotle.

Add heavy cream and simmer for 5 minutes more.

Blitz until desired consistency with an immersion blender. Strain if you want a smoother consistency. Allow to simmer and reduce a little bit (add more water/milk/cream if too thick), while frying bacon and spring onions.

Eat.

I based it of a friend's recipe, but neither of us were really specific in amounts etc, so just use the above as a base. Mine was pretty spicy.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'd like to try my handing at making a soup this weekend (never done so before). I love French onion soup, so I might give that a go.

Any advice? What types of onions should I use?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's more of a corn soup, but sure!

Brown two cloves of garlic in a pot (no need to chop, just crush or leave in whole) until golden

Add one chopped onion, a bay leaf, corn from two cobs, a dried thai chili, here I added some fried chopped potatoes left over from the previous day, that I had fried with leeks. But just chop potatoes and fry along with the rest of the stuff.
I also added Paprika and ancho chili powder (I used a whole chipotle soaked in hot water until soft and then roughly chopped, instead of the chili powder).

Fry for a bit.

Add wine or white wine vinegar, water + bullion cube. I also added some pork flavored seasoning. Simmer for a while (until potatoes are soft). I didn't measure, and I also added a bit of the water from softening the chipotle.

Add heavy cream and simmer for 5 minutes more.

Blitz until desired consistency with an immersion blender. Strain if you want a smoother consistency. Allow to simmer and reduce a little bit (add more water/milk/cream if too thick), while frying bacon and spring onions.

Eat.

I based it of a friend's recipe, but neither of us were really specific in amounts etc, so just use the above as a base. Mine was pretty spicy.

Awesome, thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
Cooked a rib eye last week, and I did something I normally don't: I seasoned the steak 10 before I even put it in the pan. I normally season it right before it goes in the pan.

I'm not sure if this was a better cut of meat than usual, or if seasoning in advance made a difference, but wow, it was the best steak I'd ever had. It was so much jucier than usual, even though I even slightly overcooked it to roughly medium (I prefer it medium-rare). I'm going to try it again next time and see if I can replicate the results.

Zyzyxxz

Cooked a rib eye last week, and I did something I normally don't: I seasoned the steak 10 before I even put it in the pan. I normally season it right before it goes in the pan.

I'm not sure if this was a better cut of meat than usual, or if seasoning in advance made a difference, but wow, it was the best steak I'd ever had. It was so much jucier than usual, even though I even slightly overcooked it to roughly medium (I prefer it medium-rare). I'm going to try it again next time and see if I can replicate the results.

Salting up to an hour before you cook is something I always try to do.

The thing is if you just salt then cook immediately most of the seasoning won't penetrate the meat. Also salting earlier helps to retain moisture thus making it juicier as well.

If you salt something and give it time to rest and absorb the muscles take in the salt and the water in the muscle is more resistant to leaking out or evaporating. Salt also tends to glue the muscle fibers together as well which may be why moisture is less readily leaked out.

Don't do it for burgers though the glueing of muscle fibers together is bad since it will cause your burger to have a thick texture. You normally want the meat to be loose and gluey.

Ferrio

Banned
Made some kimchi the other day for the first time. Turned out great except being way too salt. Swore I rinsed it really well, and didn't taste salty before mixing in spices.

Corto

how did you make that mushroom sauce. looks good.

Thanks! ;)

A bit of olive oil and butter on a pan, toss the chopped mushrooms in there and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sautee them a bit, then I added just a bit (really just 2 tablespoons give or take) of whisky and flambée them to burn the alcohol but leave the smokiness and sting of the taste and finally I mixed one quarter of a cup of milk and let it reduce a bit until it gains a creamy texture. You can finish with a teaspoon of butter and let it melt and mix it all together then taste and season if needed. You can also replace the milk for cream and that really makes a difference in the final result but I must take care of my weight so I couldn't use that... hehehehe

Corto

What does fried polenta taste like?
Never tried it before.
(Recipe on this as well?)

6 cups of water
1 and 3/4 cups of cornflour
Salt and pepper
parsley
cheddar
... ;)

Boil the water, season it with 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper and then start to slowly add the previously sifted flour and keep whisking the mixture. It will suddenly start to thicken to a yellow paste, keep whisking it regularly and let it cook in medium for 15ish minutes. In the meanwhile add the cheese and other ingredients to your taste, keep checking the seasoning and add the herbs right at the end. Pour the paste on a tray and let it cool for 1-2 hours.

Tadahhhhh ;)

The basic polenta taste is somewhat bland. It's cornflour cooked in water. hehe But if you start to season it, adding crazy stuff to your taste, spicy cheese, herbs, chorizo, then it can become something really cool.

Also accompany it with sauces, tomato sauce, mushrooms, cheese, etc.

Another trick is to when it cools cut it like I did and fry it in a pan with just a bit of olive oil and butter to give a it a nice color and crispiness in the outer layer and keep the creamy texture inside, also you can cut it like potato fries sticks and deep fry them. yummy yummy

Zyzyxxz

Since we are on the subject of steaks, decided to treat the staff to a nice steak today.

2 pounds, prime grade, bone-in ribeye. Cooked sous vide @ 121F then seared in bacon/chicken fat.
8032312612_ce666d42bd_c.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I usually salt an hour before and ideally overnight, after I read this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Strange part is they don't recommend 10 minutes of salting but it seemed to work out for you just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom