• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collete

6 cups of water
1 and 3/4 cups of cornflour
Salt and pepper
parsley
cheddar
... ;)

Boil the water, season it with 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper and then start to slowly add the previously sifted flour and keep whisking the mixture. It will suddenly start to thicken to a yellow paste, keep whisking it regularly and let it cook in medium for 15ish minutes. In the meanwhile add the cheese and other ingredients to your taste, keep checking the seasoning and add the herbs right at the end. Pour the paste on a tray and let it cool for 1-2 hours.

Tadahhhhh ;)

The basic polenta taste is somewhat bland. It's cornflour cooked in water. hehe But if you start to season it, adding crazy stuff to your taste, spicy cheese, herbs, chorizo, then it can become something really cool.

Also accompany it with sauces, tomato sauce, mushrooms, cheese, etc.

Another trick is to when it cools cut it like I did and fry it in a pan with just a bit of olive oil and butter to give a it a nice color and crispiness in the outer layer and keep the creamy texture inside, also you can cut it like potato fries sticks and deep fry them. yummy yummy

It's made out of corn flour?
Huh, didn't know that, for a second thought it was made of couscous.
Not sure why, heh.

But it does sound interesting if I put spices and cheese in it.
I'll give it a try in the future, thanks!

Jesus christ peeps, I have to make steaks for this weekend now!!

So I've been preparing for the most complex cake I've ever had a go at this whole week (shopping for the various ingredients). I got home from work at 4 o' clock, and the cake still isn't done (various layers, bla, bla, etc.) it better be the best goddamn cake in the universe when I finally get to taste it tomorrow. Will post pictures of course :)

Ok cake was a success! Yay I usually always mess up on my first tries, and this being my most expensive cake to date would have sucked a lot.

This Chocolate passion cake is composed of:
Chocolate cake bottom, 70% based chocolate mousse, another choco cake layer, passionfruit mousse and a thin layer of pineapple jelly. Dark chocolate decors to add to the visual presentation.

chocopassion1.jpg

chocopassion2.jpg

chocopassion4.jpg

chocopassion5.jpg

The chocolate mousse was pretty intense in itself and with all the other flavours we had to stop ourselves from eating more eventhough our eyes wanted more. I used the juice from 12 passionfruits which made the cake pretty expensive to make and although it tastes heavenly(passionfruit flavour is one of my favorite flavours), I actually wish there was more, but that would make the cake too expensive for my likings. Considering that it takes an entire evening to make the cake you don't want it to be expensive as well.

Good thing it's gonna last 3 days for the girlfriend and I :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
looks great! extra props for the chocolate deco.

the wife and I had dinner at an middle eastern place in our old neighborhood tonight, they serve a multi course dinner with a plateof the weekly dishes instead of a menu.

dishes were the following (clockwise from 12o'clock, #9 at center):
First Baba Ghannouj - eggplant puree with yogurt from Lebanon
Second Kayisili Kuzu Yahnisi - lamb stew with potatoes and apricots from Turkey
Third Samascus salad - spicy, finely chopped salad of Syria
4th Tuna salad "Haifa" from Israel
5th Havuc kızartması - fried carrots with chili, ginger and cream from Turkey
6th Schulbato bi Ruz - fried rice with raisins, cabbage and chili from Kuwait
7th Salata dar el Beida - Couscous salad with vegetables from Morocco
8th Borek - filled dough with feta cheese and herbs from Turkey
9th Kiibet Batata - potato dumplings with coriander from Algeria

looks great! extra props for the chocolate deco.

the wife and I had dinner at an middle eastern place in our old neighborhood tonight, they serve a multi course dinner with a plateof the weekly dishes instead of a menu.

cfdbe56a67e95b85a9401c7cc3dc325c.jpg

dishes were the following (clockwise from 12o'clock, #9 at center):
First Baba Ghannouj - eggplant puree with yogurt from Lebanon
Second Kayisili Kuzu Yahnisi - lamb stew with potatoes and apricots from Turkey
Third Samascus salad - spicy, finely chopped salad of Syria
4th Tuna salad "Haifa" from Israel
5th Havuc kızartması - fried carrots with chili, ginger and cream from Turkey
6th Schulbato bi Ruz - fried rice with raisins, cabbage and chili from Kuwait
7th Salata dar el Beida - Couscous salad with vegetables from Morocco
8th Borek - filled dough with feta cheese and herbs from Turkey
9th Kiibet Batata - potato dumplings with coriander from Algeria

Gorgeous plate right there, and a beautiful cake Metroid Killer!

I'm having trouble with pizza right now, else I'd post some pictures of it. For some reason, all my pizzas are suddenly lacklustre failures. I don't know if it's because of the yeast I'm using now, me not kneading it properly/overworking the dough, not letting it rise long enough, or the oven in my new place not being up to task.

I guess I'll have to experiment with various dough bases until I can find the correct formula.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ok cake was a success! Yay I usually always mess up on my first tries, and this being my most expensive cake to date would have sucked a lot.

This Chocolate passion cake is composed of:
Chocolate cake bottom, 70% based chocolate mousse, another choco cake layer, passionfruit mousse and a thin layer of pineapple jelly. Dark chocolate decors to add to the visual presentation.

The chocolate mousse was pretty intense in itself and with all the other flavours we had to stop ourselves from eating more eventhough our eyes wanted more. I used the juice from 12 passionfruits which made the cake pretty expensive to make and although it tastes heavenly(passionfruit flavour is one of my favorite flavours), I actually wish there was more, but that would make the cake too expensive for my likings. Considering that it takes an entire evening to make the cake you don't want it to be expensive as well.

Good thing it's gonna last 3 days for the girlfriend and I :)

Recipe? ;)

neocoder

Banned
I made Lasagna Soup for my parents.

This is not my pic:
530_IMG_7602_lasagna-soup.jpg

I make some slight modifications to the recipe. I par-boil the sausages in water until they just have a little pink in the middle. I then slice them up and finish cooking them in olive oil as it calls for in the recipe. The reason for this is to reduce the amount of fat in the soup.

I follow the rest of the recipe as-is except that I do not add the pasta (usually bow-ties) to the soup. Instead, I cook them separately and just put them in individual bowls when serving. I also don't make the "cheesy yum" separately. I put a good sized dollop of ricotta cheese into the bowl along with parmesan & mozzarella cheese.

The recipe makes a lot and it's still good reheated. Pretty easy to make.

aaAkP.jpg

Victory this time around.

Crumble: RW Garcia Sweet & Spicy Thai Tortilla w/ Flaxseed Light on the Chili, heavy on the Flaxseed---tis ok.

Cheese: Swedish Prastost Top Tier Stuff---silk melt and no oil. One of those where you'd probably not be able to ID it in a blind taste test, but you'd still be damn pleased you got to eat it in the course of it.

Natetan

A friend of mine took me out to this really nice restaurant a week or so ago.

Food was really good and actually not that expensive considering the quality.

http://roppongi-nouen.jp/menu/

1300765916_photo.jpg
mise20100816p123.jpg

I've been alone all this week and have been extremely lazy about cooking. I have a bunch of frozen salmon and tilapia in the freezer. Mostly just been coming home and making jerk fish: a table spoon of olive oil, jerk seasoning, and some vinegar. put the lid on the pot and let the whole thing cook.

we had some cho cho, a jamaican vegetable. it tastes a bit like daikon, and is very tasty simmered along with it. I wanted to use it up so just popped those in too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

cho-cho.jpg

aaAkP.jpg

Victory this time around.

Crumble: RW Garcia Sweet & Spicy Thai Tortilla w/ Flaxseed Light on the Chili, heavy on the Flaxseed---tis ok.

Cheese: Swedish Prastost Top Tier Stuff---silk melt and no oil. One of those where you'd probably not be able to ID it in a blind taste test, but you'd still be damn pleased you got to eat it in the course of it.

Swedish cheeses (scandinavian ones in general) are an absolute delight!

I made Lasagna Soup for my parents.

This is not my pic:
530_IMG_7602_lasagna-soup.jpg

I make some slight modifications to the recipe. I par-boil the sausages in water until they just have a little pink in the middle. I then slice them up and finish cooking them in olive oil as it calls for in the recipe. The reason for this is to reduce the amount of fat in the soup.

I follow the rest of the recipe as-is except that I do not add the pasta (usually bow-ties) to the soup. Instead, I cook them separately and just put them in individual bowls when serving. I also don't make the "cheesy yum" separately. I put a good sized dollop of ricotta cheese into the bowl along with parmesan & mozzarella cheese.

The recipe makes a lot and it's still good reheated. Pretty easy to make.

Never heard of such a thing. I must try this.

Ok here we go. Sorry about the european measurements:

Chocolate cake
4 eggs
65 g sugar
50 g plain flour
20 g cocoa powder
30 g butter (melted)
35 g milk

Grease an 8" form. And turn oven to 180C.
Beat the egg yolks with 15 g of sugar until thick & pale, then fold in the melted butter. Mix in the flour and cocoa. Mix in the milk.

In another large bowl, whisk the egg white & sugar until stiff. Mix a spatula of whipped egg white with the chocolate batter. Pour the remaining whipped egg white & fold gently until smooth. Pour the batter into the form and bake for 20-30 mins in the oven.

Once baked, remove from the form to cool(~10 mins, might want to refrigerate it if it's still too hot to cut). Cut the cake in half to make two layers. Place one layer back in the 8" form.

Chocolate Mousse
200 g 70% dark chocolate
3½ dl whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar

Whisk whipping cream with sugar to soft peaks. Melt the chocolate over a hot-water bath. Fold in the melted chocolate in the cream until smooth.

Spread out evenly over the cake layer in the form, add the other cake layer on top and refrigerate to set. (~30 mins)

Passionfruit Mousse
The juice/pulp of 12 passionfruits (or 300g of fruit of choice)
140 g sugar
4 dl whipping cream
6 sheets of gelatin

Put the gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water. Whisk the whipping cream until soft and refrigerate to set. Mix the fruit with sugar in a large bowl. Remove the gelatin from the bowl and let it melt over a hot-water bath add in a few tbsp of water. Once melted mix it quickly with the fruitmass. Fold in a third of the whipped cream until smooth, then fold in the rest.

Spread out evenly over the top cake layer, but remember to leave room for a thin layer of jelly. There should be enough passion mousse left over for 2 single servings. Refrigerate to set for 2 hours.

Pineapple Jelly (double portion)
3 dl pineapple juice
Juice from ½ a lemon
~3 tbsp sugar
4 sheets of gelatin

Put the gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water. Heat up the pineapple and lemon juice in a small pot (may want to add some water if the juice is very puply). Taste with sugar. Add in the gelatin and stir until dissolved.

Let it cool down in the refregerator until it's at the temp. of your little finger.

Pour over the passionmousse. And save the left over jelly in a jar. Refregerate to set for 2 hours or overnight.

Chocolate decors (make at least 30 mins before serving the cake)
200 g chocolate of choice

Melt the chocolate in a hot-water bath. With the tip of a palette knife dip into the chocolate and spread out on parchment paper(or any other suitable paper) in a straight line.
Repeat until you have the desired amount of decors (depending on sizes you will want somewhere around 10-15)

Detail of the composition:
chocopassion2.jpg

Pineapple Jelly
Passionfruit Mousse
Cake layer
Choco Mousse
Cake layer

Zyzyxxz

I've been alone all this week and have been extremely lazy about cooking. I have a bunch of frozen salmon and tilapia in the freezer. Mostly just been coming home and making jerk fish: a table spoon of olive oil, jerk seasoning, and some vinegar. put the lid on the pot and let the whole thing cook.

we had some cho cho, a jamaican vegetable. it tastes a bit like daikon, and is very tasty simmered along with it. I wanted to use it up so just popped those in too.

I find it strange you in are Japan and using jerk seasoning and Jamaican veges. Is that stuff expensive as hell?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You did a nice job with that cake, Metroid Killer! There are still people in my classes who can't seem to get mousse cakes right (not a good sign at this point, heh), so for a total novice to undertake one and succeed is an impressive feat. :)

I have more fun putting those together than actually eating them, honestly; it's got to be served in verrry small slices because of how nauseatingly sweet the whole thing is.

I made some fig tarts (almond sablé, balsamic salted caramel, fig and thyme compote, fig mousse, fresh figs and chocolate decor) the other day but neglected to take any pictures. I'm doing another week of just tarts, though, and will try to remember this time around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I made an eggplant lasagna once, where the eggplant replaces the pasta. It was very good:)

Collete

I don't mind doing some hardcore dieting when I need to get back to form, but this thread is making it unbearable.

UNGGGGGGGGGGG.

Sorry...I made fudge :(

c35NN.jpg

(Not enough room in the fridge, d'oh!)

fzEq8.jpg

BsmDn.jpg

pNMW0.jpg

I screwed it up though, I put too many chocolate chips this time around, so it tastes like homemade chocolate that has a hint of fudge taste.
Family disagrees and is slowly devouring everything though.
Go figure, huh.

Was craving pretzels.

Spent an hour and made some, for the first time. I think they turned out okay!

Cinnamon/Sugar and Salted.

MXwCF.jpg

Looks better than any pretzel I can attempt!
Nice work!

Natetan

I find it strange you in are Japan and using jerk seasoning and Jamaican veges. Is that stuff expensive as hell?

They do sell jerk spice at import stores not that expensive.

But The boyfriend is originally Chinese (100%, ethnically) Jamaican and his family in Florida sends us stuff. He also works for the us govt, so we can buy stuff on the military base (although that doesn't explain why they sell cho cho on the base!)

I've learned how to make all kinds Of Jamaican food!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Given the apparent size of IronGAF, I'm wondering whether there is scope to perhaps have a monthly challenge to provide some additional incentive for people to explore and experiment with their cooking and palette?

Having a monthly challenge dish which could be interpreted in different ways would be a way to see some interesting variations and techniques? Perhaps with its own thread? Start of with something easy like pizza or burgers to find a rhythm and encourage participation, and then get more challenging over time?

Just throwing it out there, but probably too busy
read: "lazy"
to organise myself.

Collete

Given the apparent size of IronGAF, I'm wondering whether there is scope to perhaps have a monthly challenge to provide some additional incentive for people to explore and experiment with their cooking and palette?

Having a monthly challenge dish which could be interpreted in different ways would be a way to see some interesting variations and techniques? Perhaps with its own thread? Start of with something easy like pizza or burgers to find a rhythm and encourage participation, and then get more challenging over time?

to organise myself.

I'd be interested in participating, but I am too also "busy" to organize it myself, heh.

So many carbs.

So delicious.

:_(

Everything in moderation!
And then binge out on vegetables!

to organise myself.

I'm cool with that.
Let's start with Pizza :)

Made a simple butternutsquash soup.
Half a red onion (chopped) and one garlic cove (chopped) was thrown into a frying pan with some olive oil and butter until soft. Then I added boiling water, threw in a stock cube, 450grams of butternutsquash (diced), let it boil, then decreased the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour.

Mixed it up with my standmixer, and seasoned it with some paprika, salt, and pepper.

Just before serving, I dropped a spoonful of doublecream into the soup:

Mwb1i.jpg

(If I had chives, I'd have chopped them up and garnished the soup with them, but it was still tasty and filling!)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm cool with that.
Let's start with Pizza :)

Say we did go with something like that, would people prefer something as generic as "pizza", something more specific but still open to interpretation like "margherita pizza", or something themed but perhaps allowing for more freestyling like "cheese pizza"?

Say we did go with something like that, would people prefer something as generic as "pizza", something more specific but still open to interpretation like "margherita pizza", or something themed but perhaps allowing for more freestyling like "cheese pizza"?

Neapolitan style pizza.

As authentic as possible (I'll just use the frying pan+oven method).

Collete

I think the latter sounds good, I think if it's too broad, it would be hard to "judge" which is the winner of the challenge. (At least that's how I see it.)

Easy_G

I've been away from gaf forever, but about 3 years ago I posted some pics of my attempt at my grandma's pasta sauce. I finally got a pasta roller this year and tried to make her lasagna and figured I'd give gaf a peak. I think it turned out quite well. Tasted almost exactly like hers.

Consists of fresh spinach pasta, a sauce that would probably be classified as ragu (carrots, onion, celery, mushroom, sausage, beef, and some tomato), a bechamel sauce, and a little bit of parmesan and romano.
8041565203_f8d30600ca_c.jpg

EDIT:

And to actually contribute. . .

dyonPT, this looks delicious! Love the pictures, especially the one below. It feels like what would happen if Ikea made a cookbook. Which is supposed to be a compliment, for sure.

Walnuts Cake

[*img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ctmr2B-m7zc/UGdvxBIPfXI/AAAAAAAAH7Y/E3_lmpkgP2k/s800/DSC05339.jpg[/img]
[*img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WxFFwo8eu8o/UGdwBm6FXoI/AAAAAAAAH7o/tBCmfjWpDPw/s800/DSC05378.jpg[/img]
[*img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VRo9hxhOFw8/UGdwIIeJaiI/AAAAAAAAH74/6ZQT1yhfx34/s800/DSC05405.jpg[/img]
DSC05484.jpg

[*img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SMJIhi9EXY4/UGdwho8_flI/AAAAAAAAH84/lTlEYJM9Kok/s800/DSC05510.jpg[/img]
[*img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l8BraDt2G0c/UGdwowv4y2I/AAAAAAAAH9M/FQLJknlbQWQ/s800/DSC05565.jpg[/img]

:)

to organise myself.

This sounds awesome. I do a thing at work where we just pick an ingredient, Ironchef style.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Neapolitan style pizza.

As authentic as possible (I'll just use the frying pan+oven method).

I'd personally like enough wiggle room for people to stray from "authentic" to accommodate reliance on local ingredients and encourage individual spins/variants on dishes.

Collete

We can't go and exclude the vegetarians!
That is good point though, if we're throwing in a challenge that needs meat then there should be a vegetarian alternative in a similar vein.

Yes I would have to go for the vegetarian alternative in those cases.
Kind of a pity if the challenge is roast chicken, I don't know what I could do for a "vegetarian roast chicken" would be, heh.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Good point (I can't even make one myself at the moment).

So just a margharita then?

I wasn't specifically proposing that we start off with pizza or a margherita pizza. Just trying to get a sense for the types of challenges we might approach.

Interested to see more feedback before we start jumping to any conclusions about the way to structure and manage and what the first dish should be.

Edit: further thought regarding challenge dishes, I think would be good for the challenge to have specific dishes open to interpretation because that would also allow for a challenge OP to be loaded with a little information on the origin, history and evolution of a particular dish which might help provide some inspiration (doesn't need to be too onerous). I've enjoyed Heston Blumenthal's In Search of Perfection series which digs into the origins and components of each dish and then presents a "perfect" interpretation (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006pp8t/episodes/guide)

Zyzyxxz

to organise myself.

I think we've tried before but I would participate as much as possible. It needs it's own thread I think but we have to support it or it will die like the photography challenge threads.

Also it shouldn't be based on a specific dish but we should do it like Reddit's 52 Week Cooking challenge, alternating on specific ingredients, themes, or maybe colors.

Macca

Also it shouldn't be based on a specific dish but we should do it like Reddit's 52 Week Cooking challenge, alternating on specific ingredients, themes, or maybe colors.
That sounds really cool. I lurk this thread quite a bit, I'd be happy to put together a banner and some graphics for the New thread.

I'm in for it as well. But it still seems weird to me to have a food contest where you don't even get to taste it. We are gonna miss on the most important element, but of course until we get a smell-o-vision app for the internet there isn't much to do about it.

You did a nice job with that cake, Metroid Killer! There are still people in my classes who can't seem to get mousse cakes right (not a good sign at this point, heh), so for a total novice to undertake one and succeed is an impressive feat. :)
Wow this means so much to me. Thanks a lot. I've always been participating in my mother's baking as little, but for some reason I only held on to a few cake and bread recipes when I moved, and never really thought about expanding it in any sense. Layered cakes? Cakes with frosting? Colored stuff? etc. that was in my mind something you only buy in stores.

It wasn't until this year that I actually broke through that wall and started making stuff on my own. Turns out I enjoy it as heck and become really passionate about getting the best ingredients and putting it all together. And now I'm open for everything basically!

Esch

Banned
You guys should have a theme rather than a dish.

The theme should be meat porn. zzyzyxxz killed me with that steak

Zyzyxxz

I'm in for it as well. But it still seems weird to me to have a food contest where you don't even get to taste it. We are gonna miss on the most important element, but of course until we get a smell-o-vision app for the internet there isn't much to do about it.

It shouldn't be a contest IMO it should be a way to encourage others to cook and help educate others to be more creative.

It shouldn't be a contest IMO it should be a way to encourage others to cook and help educate others to be more creative.

Yeah, can't really have a food contest if you're not tasting the food :p
So it's just more of a challenge really, to encourage more people to challenge themselves when it comes to cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom