• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made grain-free sushi tonight with celery root. This is an Ahi Tuna roll that sat in a lemon/lime bath for 2 hours.

innzUtWPjdENo.jpg

Was extremely tasty!

Zyzyxxz

I was inspired to throw a hot pot at work in celebration of the cold weather we are having in SoCal now! Just a bunch of random produce from out kitchen that would have been thrown out and some sliced meat I bought at the Asian markets.

481822_10101538611746584_661978442_n.jpg

Celery root instead of rice? Neat idea. :)

Made some "chocolate" cookies (i had an old pack of hot chocolate powder that I threw in the dough lol) and a vegetables and tofu quiches

Yeah, with me not liking the bloating/crappy feeling after eating things with gluten, I've opted to change my diet. Obviously that doesn't include rice, but since it's a sugary starch in essence, I figured we should cut it out too. The sushi tasted just like sushi, which amazed me.

Dual PSA:

-David Chang has a new food travelogue series premiering on PBS from 3pm-4pm TODAY EST. No re-runs as far as the eye can see, but unlike Clodagh's Irish Food Trails---not aware of an official archival site online for them, so DVR use is recommended.

-As per my experiments, proper quality hot & sour soup goes REALLY well on pizza.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Not the most exciting thing to look at, but I did three large conversations yesterday. Thinly sheeted puff pastry (made from scratch, of course) with layers of chai-spiced orange frangipane, plum-cardamom jam, and fresh plums. Legitimately one of the best tasting things I've made.

kami_sama

Not the most exciting thing to look at, but I did three large conversations yesterday. Thinly sheeted puff pastry (made from scratch, of course) with layers of chai-spiced orange frangipane, plum-cardamom jam, and fresh plums. Legitimately one of the best tasting things I've made.
It looks so good!

How do you do the pattern? A mold*, perhaps?

*I don't know the exact word in English, sorry :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

This. Looks. Amazing. Whoa. *bow*

My first entremet, and my own creation on top of that, as well as using techniques and tools I haven't used before... pretty nervous about going to fail...

But I didn't :D!!

Raspberry Entremet
Entremet consisting of a layer of joconde pistachio cake, a layer of chocolate spongecake, raspberry mousse, raspberry jelly, chocolate decor grid. Served with persimmon, freeze dried raspberries and pistachio nuts.

entremet2.jpg

entremet3.jpg

Of course I'm happy about the taste and look, but I'm mostly happy that it went just as I had planned. The only nitpick I have is that perhaps the pistachio layer should be smaller and the chocoalte cake bigger, otherwise it's exactly as I want it :)

Awesome, I want to make something with plum as well. In general I need to be better not just finding random stuff I want to make, but let the season decide instead. Much cheaper as well :p

Damn Metroid Killer----I'm starting to suspect you of being one of the busy hands back on Cuisine Culture with those knockout technical desserts!

vGBMz.jpg

Crumble: Kettle Brand Zesty Ranch Crinkle A nice crunch, ages since a crinkle chip has even shown up, and really solid ranch work that would probably have it on top of the heap if not for the Late July Dude Ranch still loftily reigning supreme.

Cheese: Fiscalini Farmstead Purple Moon Cabernet Cheddar YES indeedy...my affinity for booze cheeses continues unabated---the wine is Strong in this one, but not so much as to overpower the smooth experience and it sensibly being a solidly nice melter as a cheddar. Looking forward to a proper purple pizza with the rest of the package come Monday night!

Wow the puff pastry looks amazing! I didn't know they had a special roller tool just to make that shape. You can adapt it to make a lattice pie crust!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Must be so good right out of the oven!

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried making a pork shoulder roast today. Again with the oven...reached internal temp of 170F way too fast. 2 hours in and I thought my roast would be ruined. I left the oven at 170F for another 6 hours and prayed for the best. Damn, what an incredible tender and juicy roast. I guess you can't really screw this one up if you cook it long enough. Going to make some tasty pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow.

dyonPT

My first entremet, and my own creation on top of that, as well as using techniques and tools I haven't used before... pretty nervous about going to fail...

entremet2.jpg

entremet3.jpg

Of course I'm happy about the taste and look, but I'm mostly happy that it went just as I had planned. The only nitpick I have is that perhaps the pistachio layer should be smaller and the chocoalte cake bigger, otherwise it's exactly as I want it :)

I love pistachio and chocolate!! :D

Love the efect!

Celery root instead of rice? Neat idea. :)

Made some "chocolate" cookies (i had an old pack of hot chocolate powder that I threw in the dough lol) and a vegetables and tofu quiches

Chocolate cookies are always good! :D

Made grain-free sushi tonight with celery root. This is an Ahi Tuna roll that sat in a lemon/lime bath for 2 hours.

Was extremely tasty!

Ideed, I love sushi!

Bought some Mango chutney cheap the other day and stumbled upon this recipe online:

Chicken Curry With Mango Chutney - link
chickcurry1.jpg

chickcurry2.jpg

Holy shit this is godly, so easy to make but wow what an explosion of umami in your mouth. I just happened to have gingerroot, chicken stock and heavy cream and what a taste they created. I also added carrots, spring onion and sliced pineapples to meal. I highly recommend you to try it out.

Explosion in your mouth yeah!! Looks great! :)

http://hansimglueck-burgergrill.de/

Only Burger I've ever eaten with fork and knife:
smallIMG_0563.jpg

smallIMG_0571.jpg

Thammmmmm.
I bet that this was you when you saw and finished that beast:
1348000628329.gif

:D

Made some cupcakes to bring into the office today - "Death by OREO" cupcakes with chopped OREOs in chocolate mix, "surprise" OREO in the base, crushed OREO in cream cheese frosting, and a mini OREO garnish.

Used my own cupcake mix recipe but otherwise followed the instructions here.

Dammm...Oreo Cupcake...I have to make one for my self hehe

kami_sama

Damn Metroid Killer----I'm starting to suspect you of being one of the busy hands back on Cuisine Culture with those knockout technical desserts!

vGBMz.jpg

Crumble: Kettle Brand Zesty Ranch Crinkle A nice crunch, ages since a crinkle chip has even shown up, and really solid ranch work that would probably have it on top of the heap if not for the Late July Dude Ranch still loftily reigning supreme.

Cheese: Fiscalini Farmstead Purple Moon Cabernet Cheddar YES indeedy...my affinity for booze cheeses continues unabated---the wine is Strong in this one, but not so much as to overpower the smooth experience and it sensibly being a solidly nice melter as a cheddar. Looking forward to a proper purple pizza with the rest of the package come Monday night!
Why do you use chips?

The chips are often used as a crumble into what essentially becomes another, sometimes coarse, seasoning, or eaten on the side, or lightly crumbled and used to soak up excess oil.

Chasing after these sorts of nifty combinations, via a "seasoning" that wouldn't really exist otherwise readily, is all part of the chase for me alongside the cheese, meat, and sauce sampling.

kami_sama

The chips are often used as a crumble into what essentially becomes another, sometimes coarse, seasoning, or eaten on the side, or lightly crumbled and used to soak up excess oil.

Chasing after these sorts of nifty combinations, via a "seasoning" that wouldn't really exist otherwise readily, is all part of the chase for me alongside the cheese, meat, and sauce sampling.
Ok, thanks! You said that it was naam, right? I want to try it as soon as possible! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
"Fondue-Frikadellen", Small meatballs topped with Mixed Pickles and cheese fondue, oven roasted for 30 minutes and served with hash browns:
image.jpg

image-2.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Day off from work and I needed to make use of all the basil I've grown. So made pesto for risotto and ate it with salmon (yes I know cheese and seafood aren't suppose to go together but I don't care).

8176796542_72215f925c_z.jpg

Yes, the bread component for my things of late is Naan, in the past various other ethnic and regional flatbreads before I lost access to each in turn due to them suddenly not being carried by any local places.

Winter CSA has started so time to start using all the squash and winter greens and what not. Kids have a long weekend for conferences so Friday night pizza was moved to Sunday. First up, butternut squash roasted with butter, fresh sage and garlic, combined with a light chevre and a simple roasted tomato sauce I had made the other night for pasta:
pizza-1.jpg

This was quite nice, and the squash wasn't too heavy for the pizza, which sometimes happens when its pureed and used as a base. The other we made was a standard cheese but with some faux sausage we had laying around:
pizza-2.jpg

Nothing fancy but the kids enjoyed it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
xjqtUl.jpg

My Birthday cake made by my stepmother. She has her own cake business. I love simple whipped icing so I asked for that special.

Ken

Can you use Pam to replace parchment paper when baking a cake? I have the hardest time getting parchment paper in the cake pan.

xjqtUl.jpg

My Birthday cake made by my stepmother. She has her own cake business. I love simple whipped icing so I asked for that special.
That looks very nice. I haven't made whipped icing for a looong time, and I haven't coated a cake with it for even longer.

Can you use Pam to replace parchment paper when baking a cake? I have the hardest time getting parchment paper in the cake pan.
Assuming Pam is some kind of baking spray(?) then sure. Depending on what I make I usually just grease or spray my pans and forms, only in special occasions where I use parchment paper. I hate the folds and uneveness that parchment paper sometimes does to your baking.

Ken

Assuming Pam is some kind of baking spray(?) then sure. Depending on what I make I usually just grease or spray my pans and forms, only in special occasions where I use parchment paper. I hate the folds and uneveness that parchment paper sometimes does to your baking.

Thanks. I hate the folds too and can never get it down smoothly so the cake ends up looking really deformed. :(

drPepper

Banned
First contribution here. I have been lurking this thread on and off but never managed to post something. Most of my education was about cooking and i will share some of that stuff later with you guys. its just a lot typing.

Here are some pictures of my latest cooking action:
I made probably one of the most traditional austrian dishes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafelspitz

I started off with making a bouillon.
rsupperssco.jpg

Halfway through.
Top left Bouillon, Top right sour cream sauce with chive,
Bottom left cream spinach, Bottom right roast potatoes;
tspitz5cs0z.jpg

Ready to be eaten.
tspitz1q4ipw.jpg

i also made a white wholewheat bread during the same session:

brotmjqrk.jpg

brot1b9osd.jpg

PS: thanks to [In//Effect-Mode] from Gafberry to never stop annoying the shit out of me until i make this post :)

So, some pages back I professed my new found love for Basmati rice.

Well, Basmati and I have broken up and I have given my heart to Jasmine.

Cooked up so, so good tonight. The texture was amazing.

Vaporak

Hey IronGaf I've got a request. I've been starting up on a low carb diet for a couple weeks now but I can't really think of too many good recipes since a lot of my old standards have too many carbs. I mainly cook Asian food so my first though when starting was some spicy stirfrys, but I'd really like more variety.

drPepper

Banned
Thanks. I hate the folds too and can never get it down smoothly so the cake ends up looking really deformed. :(

The easiest and cheapest way is by using butter/margarine and flour.
Pretty "oldschool" but it gets the job done. It works best for me.

thespot84

Hey IronGaf I've got a request. I've been starting up on a low carb diet for a couple weeks now but I can't really think of too many good recipes since a lot of my old standards have too many carbs. I mainly cook Asian food so my first though when starting was some spicy stirfrys, but I'd really like more variety.

how do veggies fit into your low carb diet? are you doing a ketosis kinda thing?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I'm trying to picture what you're doing and simply can't. You know parchment only goes on the bottom of the cake pan and is supposed to be cut to size, right?

I love roasting vegetables during winter because it warms up the house, smells great, and I can do other things like reading while the veggies are roasting.

Went from:

To this:

In about an hour.

Roasted the vegetables together, tossed with a simple dressing and some mixed greens, which wilted to be nice and soft thanks to the hot vegetables, and eaten with quinoa.

Corto

Had for lunch today a nice hot comforting Carrot and Pumpkin soup with crumbled toast, thin slices of parmesan cheese and chopped basil on top:

And for dessert had a slice of a cheesecake that my wife baked yesterday after I made a blueberry and raspberry compote:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom