• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Roasted chestnuts from our own chestnut tree. With a glass of jeropiga. A traditional liquor made adding high alcohol spirit to the sweet must to stop the fermentation. Makes for a really sweet, syrupy and dangerous drink. hehe

E249D2B3-8B51-41F7-ABBA-40E327DCF0B6-1103-0000020F70AE63D6.jpg

Wow you have your own chestnut tree? Must be nice. I have fond memories of buying coal-roasted chestnuts from a little stand on the street.

Talon

Wow you have your own chestnut tree? Must be nice. I have fond memories of buying coal-roasted chestnuts from a little stand on the street.
My grandparents had a big old chestnut tree in their backyard. We'd always go out there in the fall and pop those things out of the burrs, and then we'd roast them indoors.

Almost as good as the quails they raised!

Yes Boss!

Whoo!

Bought an induction burner. The same one my brother uses. Can't wait to use it with my Volrath and Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. My brother has leads on a nice nonstick fry pan so I'm very curious how eggs will cook on it.

beef_hot_potsgiyv.jpg

Basicly beef (fried with onions, garlic, thyme, tomato paste) and vegetables (potatoes, carrots, green/white beans, corn, potatoes and mashed tomatoes) cooked for about 2 hours and then I added some salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper and marjoram and a hot sauce I bought ages ago where a teaspoon makes your mouth numb for an hour. First tasting was too spicy (I guess some of the hot sauce was swimming on top or something) but the day after it was a perfect meal for cold days. I am not the best cook and even worse when it comes to pictures/arrangements. First try here please be mercifull with me :)

Corto

url]

Basicly beef (fried with onions, garlic, thyme, tomato paste) and vegetables (potatoes, carrots, green/white beans, corn, potatoes and mashed tomatoes) cooked for about 2 hours and then I added some salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper and marjoram and a hot sauce I bought ages ago where a teaspoon makes your mouth numb for an hour. First tasting was too spicy (I guess some of the hot sauce was swimming on top or something) but the day after it was a perfect meal for cold days. I am not the best cook and even worse when it comes to pictures/arrangements. First try here please be mercifull with me :)

HOT! Love that kind of rich broth/soup. It warms my stomach just by looking at the photo. hehehe

CrankyJay

Banned
Haven't had much time to cook since my daughter was born. Lots of take out, LOL. Made time to try out a taco recipe from a popular local food truck. Turned out great.

Chimichurri chicken thigh
Cabbage
Double corn tortilla
Cilantro
Cheddar jack cheese
Fresh lime

6KC9Xl.jpg

aFLIRl.jpg

gSjfKl.jpg

VDsXjl.jpg

jet1911

I saw the "christmas reservation" board at my job today. We'll serve 4255 meal in 4 four days (december 24,25,31 and january 1st) lol... I hope I'll have the 26 off like last year at least.

Trying an experiment with the Gingerbread creme Oreos.

I was planning on making my Cookies & Creme cookies for Thanksgiving using homemade gingerbread cookies as the base & the Oreos as the filling but decided to use a box gingerbread cookie mix for the test.

Looks pretty good so far...

01FB007C-B72C-40CF-A7C0-A18AC13BFF6F-1938-0000013BE294428A_zps1a6dea11.jpg

Edit: Had one but it may seem like the Oreos themselves are overshadowed by the gingerbread cookie itself... Might do a sugar cookie base instead...

Triple Lemon Cake
Top and bottom layers are vanilla lemon cake with blueberries and the middle with black currant.
Lemon curd as filling between the layers.
And to end the triple lemon combo, coated with lemon frosting.

lemoncake1.jpg

lemoncake2.jpg

lemoncake3.jpg

lemoncake4.jpg

I would grab that cake in my mouth like a dog with a frisbee and flee into the night dyonPT!

Pic service was acting up last night, but now fine:

ROqtN.jpg

Crumble: Kettle Brand Bakes Hickory Honey BBQ Especially crunchy, but oddly light on the flavor----was expecting better from Kettle Brand really.

Cheese: Nicasio Loma Alta Now we're talking! Melts fairly quick, but then browns even faster, little oil, and overall just a nice semi-soft cheese. I actually got hit with a mad nostalgia rush as apparently when this melts it becomes incredibly similar to the "cheese toast" that I grew up on while most other kids got more standard grilled cheese sandwiches---so that was a pretty nice surprise.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We made these the other night so I took a picture to show off the awesome goodness :)

I've never been a brussel sprouts fan, but would be willing to give them a shot again. Any hints on how you prepared these? Looks like there is some butter and perhaps garlic and onion in there?

I have somehow avoided brussel sprouts all my life, the pics look good in here. Might have to pick some up next time im at the store to see what they taste like.

IceCold

You can tell the Portuguese members in this page just by looking at those that are posting pics featuring chestnuts.

Festa de S. Martinho :)

Best chestnuts I ever tasted came from Portugal. The low quality ones tend to be too dry and hard to take out from their shell.

I've never been a brussel sprouts fan, but would be willing to give them a shot again. Any hints on how you prepared these? Looks like there is some butter and perhaps garlic and onion in there?
Don't know about that particular dish but I do like these two. Sorry that I'm not very specific with the recipe, my cooking consists of just doing something.

For a quick and easy meal, fry the sprouts in oil or butter with some walnuts and honey. Tastes sweet so chances are you'll like it.

Alternatively, fried with red onion, walnut and feta cheese.

Trim and half (or quarter especially large ones) sprouts. Chop up four or five cloves of garlic (for say a 1lb of veg). In a bowl toss sprouts with some salt, olive oil (quite a bit), and the chopped garlic. Pre-heat oven to 400F, about five or so minutes before you plan to cook them put a sheet/pan in the oven to get it pre-warmed. Spread the sprouts on the pan, put them in the oven, after around ten minutes turn them over, and then every five minutes or so check them to see how they're browning/crisping on the outside, once you have a nice balance of crisp and internal tenderness, you're good to go.

BTW, kids listened to Shatter soundtrack while cleaning up this evening, cheers ;).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Trim and half (or quarter especially large ones) sprouts. Chop up four or five cloves of garlic (for say a 1lb of veg). In a bowl toss sprouts with some salt, olive oil (quite a bit), and the chopped garlic. Pre-heat oven to 400F, about five or so minutes before you plan to cook them put a sheet/pan in the oven to get it pre-warmed. Spread the sprouts on the pan, put them in the oven, after around ten minutes turn them over, and then every five minutes or so check them to see how they're browning/crisping on the outside, once you have a nice balance of crisp and internal tenderness, you're good to go.

Thanks. Will give that a shot.

BTW, kids listened to Shatter soundtrack while cleaning up this evening, cheers ;).

Nice to hear about the versatility of that music :)

MRORANGE

Triple Lemon Cake
Top and bottom layers are vanilla lemon cake with blueberries and the middle with black currant.
Lemon curd as filling between the layers.
And to end the triple lemon combo, coated with lemon frosting.

ibedtUCimYY0yl.jpg

any places were I can get a recipe to make this? looks amazing.

Is that bacon? Someone made something that looked similar last night. Care to share the recipe?

Nope, we're vegetarians, that's just crisped leaves and garlic. Recipe is up above a few posts.

(My daughter who is watching me type this would like it noted that she does not in fact love brussel sprouts. And my wife would like to point out that it's actually Brussels sprouts with an s. And a capital B. I'm surrounded by pedants.)

ShinAmano

Nope, we're vegetarians, that's just crisped leaves and garlic. Recipe is up above a few posts.

(My daughter who is watching me type this would like it noted that she does not in fact love brussel sprouts. And my wife would like to point out that it's actually Brussels sprouts with an s. And a capital B. I'm surrounded by pedants.)

Hmmm...I had them for the first time last night and they were delicious :)

Then for dinner:

I was craving mapo tofu but my husband didn't make it last night, so I made it tonight. It came out pretty well and very numbing, which was the point of the dish. I loosely followed Fuschia Dunlop's recipe from Every Grain Of Rice. I think the recipe can be found online here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/mapo-tofu-sichuan-food-recipe.html

Damn that looks like some serious good mapo tofu. I've only tried making it once and the results were a bit average and a lot more soupy than yours. i'll have a look at that recipe.

So we're having a "goodie exchange" at working coming up in the next few weeks. Anyone have some recipes for something thats different than just like a basic chocolate chip, peanut butter, etc cookies or brownies?

Want to try something a little unique and different, but not something completely crazy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It looks good :)

I'm guessing it was delicious right?!

Haha, thanks! Everyone said that they really liked it. I thought it was pretty good, although I forgot to add the tobasco so the salsa was too mild. It would have been much tastier with some heat. :)

I also don't know if I made the polenta correctly, as I've never had it before and the recipe just said to cook it until it "had a bite to it, but not grainy". I don't think it was "grainy", but there wasn't really a "bite" to it either. I liked it though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. Puerco Pibil is incredibly delicious.

Now, it could be a little juicier.

I cooked it at the recommended 325F for 4 hours. It's pork shoulder. If I want it to be juicier next go around, should I increase the cook time and decrease the temp, or just decrease the cook time?

I would have taken pics but my phone is dead. :(

Zyzyxxz

Wow. Puerco Pibil is incredibly delicious.

Now, it could be a little juicier.

I cooked it at the recommended 325F for 4 hours. It's pork shoulder. If I want it to be juicier next go around, should I increase the cook time and decrease the temp, or just decrease the cook time?

I would have taken pics but my phone is dead. :(

Did you wet brine/dry cure it? But generally yes, decrease temp and increase cook time works as well.

any places were I can get a recipe to make this? looks amazing.
Here

Some advice:
* The lemon curd needs to be made for at least 5 hours in advance. I made it the night before, but you can also make it in the morning (if making the cake in the afternoon)
* The lemon curd is really really good, but be careful about using too much curd between the layers. Make sure the frosting dams can hold all the curd, unless you want some emergency leakage which I had, nothing that some frosting couldn't fix, but I'm glad I didn't use any more curd.
* You can skip using the curd as filling and just make more frosting and use that, but again you would miss the awesome curd, and the frosting(and the entire cake) is very sweet, and I guess there actually exists something that can be too sweet :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Will be contributing around 25 of these beauties to an early Thanksgiving with friends.

tumblr_mdr07hOapL1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

:O

Did you wet brine/dry cure it? But generally yes, decrease temp and increase cook time works as well.

Never tried dry curing before. As for wet brining...what are you suggesting, exactly? Brine it for a few hours, and then marinate it? Would I have to change up the salt measurements for my marinade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom