• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collete

Will be contributing around 25 of these beauties to an early Thanksgiving with friends.

tumblr_mdr07hOapL1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

O_O
Is it intentionally spiral-y?
Even so, damn, I want a piece of that bread, looks amazing.

Collete

A good croissant spiral is very important, so yes, it's quite intentional. ;)

Oh, of course XD

Didn't see the croissant in the background so I thought it was a fancy dinner roll!
Never really cut open a croissant before now that I think about it...I should try it next time!

Zyzyxxz

Never tried dry curing before. As for wet brining...what are you suggesting, exactly? Brine it for a few hours, and then marinate it? Would I have to change up the salt measurements for my marinade?

I would go easy on the salt in the marinade if you are going to still do that after brining.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I crave chili, and I need a recipe for it. Problem is, I don't trust "the internet". I trust you guys though. If there is a chili recipe you swear by, please share!

I use the Boilermaker Chili recipe on allrecipes.com. There's a reason its one of the highest rated recipes on the entire site.

NOTE: It makes a decent amount though so if you're just by yourself you'll have a lot left over.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, I'm coming to Iron Gaf to help out with suggestions I offered to my parents for Thanksgiving this year.

First, I have heard brining is the way to go before cooking the Turkey. Any great brine suggestions? Do you just brine it overnight?

Second, my parents grabbed a ham to cook. What do you guys do with them? Coat them in anything? Smoke it? Cook it in the oven?

What do you guys suggest?

Hmm no one noticed the earthbound reference made in my cosmic bus quote above??

Anyway it's persimmon season right now! One of my favorite fruits. Easy to eat, great soft flavor, great soft pulp consistency. So I decided to see what I could make in the kitchen using persimmons:

Spiced Persimmon Cake and Persimmon Mousse

persimmoncake1.jpg

persimmonmousse1.jpg

persimmoncake2.jpg

persimmoncake3.jpg

That cake took me completely by surprise. Spiced cakes aren't my favorite kind of cakes, but this is undoubtly the best one I've ever had. Spongy on the inside but light crunchy on the outside, subtle flavor of persimmon. Even the lemon glacing came out perfect.

I wasn't as lucky with the mousse though XD. I had some remaining persimmon puree from the cake and decided to make a mousse out of it. That went well. But then I had some extra cream and 1 sheet of gelatin and decided to make chocolate mousse as well. Well now I know that adding gelatin to melted chocolate fucks it up royally. When I folded in the whipped cream, the mass just started pouring out brown water pretty much, and very aggressively if you can say that. Oh well, now I know, and I still managed to save some for decoration on the persimmon mousse.

Has anyone here done a turkey brine before? I'm trying to figure out the proper amount of time to leave it in the brine. I've read leaving it in too long can make it very salty. It's a 14lb bird.

Haly

I use the Boilermaker Chili recipe on allrecipes.com. There's a reason its one of the highest rated recipes on the entire site.

NOTE: It makes a decent amount though so if you're just by yourself you'll have a lot left over.
I went with this, prep time took me an hour x_x

Still, it's simmering away now, and smells great.

EDIT: Turned out okay, a bit oversalted. Is it supposed to be this salty or did I just goof?

EDIT 2: I think I figured out where I went wrong. I forgot to drain the beans before putting them in. I assume the liquid that comes with chili beans is already salted?

I went with this, prep time took me an hour x_x

Still, it's simmering away now, and smells great.

EDIT: Turned out okay, a bit oversalted. Is it supposed to be this salty or did I just goof?

EDIT 2: I think I figured out where I went wrong. I forgot to drain the beans before putting them in. I assume the liquid that comes with chili beans is already salted?

Hmmm sounds like something went wrong there. And no, I don't think its the beans because a lot of times I let all the sauce in the cans. Maybe its the pork? I cut the meats from the recipe way down and only use a bit of ground beef and a bit of lean ground pork.

Haly

Hmmm sounds like something went wrong there. And no, I don't think its the beans because a lot of times I let all the sauce in the cans. Maybe its the pork? I cut the meats from the recipe way down and only use a bit of ground beef and a bit of lean ground pork.
I made half the recipe last time and I had half the ingredients left for a second batch. I cut out half the pork, the salt, and I drained the beans, and that helped a lot. But now it's a tad sour, so I added honey to balance it out.

Really good with bread too, thanks for the recipe!

Zyzyxxz

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving, I had little time to prep since I've been busy with work so it was just my small household. Decided with the small amount of time I had to sous vide an entire chicken in butter and herbs. Turned out super moist and perfectly cooked! I think I will try to do an entire turkey this way next year!

Sealed in bag with 1 lb lf butter:
8210643794_a03723d143_c.jpg

Crappy instagram pic of my ghetto way to keep it from floating:
604163_10101549653868084_1081717306_n.jpg

After roasting under broiler to get the skin brown:
8209555007_a073392668_c.jpg

Tomorrow will be hosting a lunchtime Post T-Day potluck at my house. I will be making a fancied up version of cottage pie. I used a bunch of oxtail and braised it in herbs, home made beef stock, and red wine.
8209556199_375f07be5a_c.jpg

After browning:
8210644210_57fed76dd2_c.jpg

It's assembled in the fridge and ready to go for tomorrow, I'll try to get pics of it right out of the oven then, hopefully with a nice view of the cross-section.

Haly

The sacrifices people in the kitchen make for the rest of us peasants. We are not worthy.

Suddenly I have the urge to go buy an oxtail on my way home from work today...

Cosmic Bus or anyone with good ideas. What's a good method to stop runny content to leak out in a joconde imprime. I'm making one with fruit mousse tonight, and last time I tried that it ended up leaking just slightly. Can you put anything between the joconde walls to seal, or is it just a matter of making sure the walls are placed correctly?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Cosmic Bus or anyone with good ideas. What's a good method to stop runny content to leak out in a joconde imprime. I'm making one with fruit mousse tonight, and last time I tried that it ended up leaking just slightly. Can you put anything between the joconde walls to seal, or is it just a matter of making sure the walls are placed correctly?

For the mousse itself, obviously the less liquid you're adding the better, so reducing the fruit puree in a saucepan beforehand could help. A little extra gelatin is also an option. Make sure you're giving the assembled cake enough time in the freezer, too.

The strip of joconde should be cut a bit longer than the circumference of your ring mold -- i.e. if it's an 8" ring, cut the joconde to 8.5 or 9" -- so that you need to compress it slightly in order to fit end-to-end inside the ring. This keeps it tight and lessens the chances of it coming apart after unmolding.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tomorrow will be hosting a lunchtime Post T-Day potluck at my house. I will be making a fancied up version of cottage pie. I used a bunch of oxtail and braised it in herbs, home made beef stock, and red wine.

8210644210_57fed76dd2_c.jpg

It's assembled in the fridge and ready to go for tomorrow, I'll try to get pics of it right out of the oven then, hopefully with a nice view of the cross-section.
I fucking love oxtail. Next time try to make a Spanish stew, it's not exactly quick, but it tastes AMAZING.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spanish-style-oxtail-stew/
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/estofado-de-rabo-de-toro-bulls-tail-stew-recipe/index.html

I personally add a good fistful of small mushrooms cut in half.

CrankyJay

Banned
Those are some gigantic oxtail. Holy shit.

I still have a 3lb deer roast sitting in my freezer, since that will be particularly lean I plan on pairing that with some oxtail and braising that similarly with red wine, chicken/beef stock and herbs.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Milchjon

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, that Kale stuff I'm reading about everywhere is just simple Grünkohl?

Ahahahaha

America you disappoint me. Your hyped, functional, healthy trend food is just
tasty
poor people food somewhere else in the world.e

thespot84

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, that Kale stuff I'm reading about everywhere is just simple Grünkohl?

Ahahahaha

America you disappoint me. Your hyped, functional, healthy trend food is just
tasty
poor people food somewhere else in the world.e

polenta is the same way

Yes Boss!

Will be contributing around 25 of these beauties to an early Thanksgiving with friends.

tumblr_mdr07hOapL1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

Looks amazing!

Back in the day (I'm talking mid-nineties) I was totally into laminated doughs. Yield was absolutely incredible. I'd make 100 croissants and pain au chocolates for about 20 cents a piece. This, with butter being the most priciest ingredient in a baking kitchen.

CrankyJay

Banned
How often do you guys reseason your cast iron skillets?

What do you do if you don't use the skillet for a few days at a time or a week at a time? Do you bother rerubbing oil on it?

Yes Boss!

How often do you guys reseason your cast iron skillets?

What do you do if you don't use the skillet for a few days at a time or a week at a time? Do you bother rerubbing oil on it?

I never reseason it, ever. Once it is seasoned it is easy to maintain. It gets oiled after every use with about a half-teaspoon of clear oil (grape/canola).

Procedure like this: cook, soak for a bit with water to loosen any detritus, wipe out, heat again for about two minutes, remove and wipe down with oil and a piece of paper towel, shelf.

CrankyJay

Banned
I never reseason it, ever. Once it is seasoned it is easy to maintain. It gets oiled after every use with about a half-teaspoon of clear oil (grape/canola).

Procedure like this: cook, soak for a bit with water to loosen any detritus, wipe out, heat again for about two minutes, remove and wipe down with oil and a piece of paper towel, shelf.

I've neglected my pan for a bit so I used a heavy scouring pad with hot water to scrub it down really good. I just rubbed it down with crisco and have it baking in the oven at 350 upside down on top of a cookie sheet to catch the grease.

That's what I mean by re-season...

But I'm wary of rubbing it down with oil after each use...couldn't the oil get rancid if I don't use it for a week at a time? Or should I just get used to using it all the time? =P

Yes Boss!

I've neglected my pan for a bit so I used a heavy scouring pad with hot water to scrub it down really good. I just rubbed it down with crisco and have it baking in the oven at 350 upside down on top of a cookie sheet to catch the grease.

That's what I mean by re-season...

But I'm wary of rubbing it down with oil after each use...couldn't the oil get rancid if I don't use it for a week at a time?

Nah won't go rancid, that is why you use something benign like grape or canola. Yeah, once you get that reseasoned then there will no need to reseason it. And when wiping it down, you remove most of the oil.

I do add a caveat to that...I make sure to do some deep frying once or twice a year to help build up the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom