• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporak

could you provide a list of low carb veggies? I'm guessing potatoes and starchy stuff are out. leafy greens? alliums? (onion/leek/shallot etc)

I'm pretty new to this so I don't really know of a good list, but as long as it's not stuff like potatoes or corn it'll probably be okay to eat at least some.

have you tried the brussels roasted though? heavenly

Roasted is the way to go. I eagerly wait brussels sprouts season every year because they're so good roasted with just olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Sometimes, I put a oil and balsamic dressing at the end and roast for another 10 minutes for extra sweetness. I also like shredding them and then pan-frying them on a cast iron with potatoes for a hash.

Roasted is the way to go. I eagerly wait brussels sprouts season every year because they're so good roasted with just olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Sometimes, I put a oil and balsamic dressing at the end and roast for another 10 minutes for extra sweetness. I also like shredding them and then pan-frying them on a cast iron with potatoes for a hash.

She speaks truth. We buy them on the stalk up here in the fall, so we can get them on the smallish side, and very tender. Can eat a huge bowl in one sitting with my wife. A local Japanese place does a thing where they fry them then toss with fish sauce and fresh mint. The mint cuts the rich saltiness really well, it's a nice touch.

Bacon guacamole sandwiches
ikc5FCftTRi1R.png

Old pic but I haven't shared it here. I should make it again sometime, it was pretty darn tasty.

Fried with honey and walnuts is also great. You should definitely try that out.

She speaks truth. We buy them on the stalk up here in the fall, so we can get them on the smallish side, and very tender. Can eat a huge bowl in one sitting with my wife. A local Japanese place does a thing where they fry them then toss with fish sauce and fresh mint. The mint cuts the rich saltiness really well, it's a nice touch.

Fish sauce and mint, what a great idea! I bet that would be even better with some lemon juice.

Every time I go to Perbacco or Barbacco in SF, I always get the brussels sprouts. They're so good there because they're deep fried in duckfat or something. Not vegetarian at all, hahaha.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
omg that bacon

And please tell me about that Brussels sprouts roasting thing, sounds great! I just have an oven, what can I do?

Preheat oven to 400.
Chop them in half, toss them with 1-2 TB olive oil, salt, pepper (garlic if you'd like).
Throw them onto a flat sheet pan.
Roast them for about 40 minutes.

Couple of things I like to do.
1. Cook bacon separately and then toss it up with the sprouts (with some of the grease)
2. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on the still hot brussels sprouts - gives it's a nice, sweet taste.

Wow sounds good. Thanks!

Talon

And please tell me about that Brussels sprouts roasting thing, sounds great! I just have an oven, what can I do?

Preheat oven to 400.
Chop them in half, toss them with 1-2 TB olive oil, salt, pepper (garlic if you'd like).
Throw them onto a flat sheet pan.
Roast them for about 40 minutes.

Couple of things I like to do.
1. Cook bacon separately and then toss it up with the sprouts (with some of the grease)
2. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on the still hot brussels sprouts - gives it's a nice, sweet taste.

My husband made dinner tonight.

Fresh made noodles on a probably pretty sanitary and clean clothes hanger.

A spicy herbal broth with tofu skin.

The finished product. I think we overdid it with the spicy condiment haha.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
That looks pretty amazing, Nakedsushi. I've never made pasta or noodles from scratch but friends of mine have some sort of device that looks like it came from a torture museum but they tell me it's from Italy and can produce pasta. Been meaning to ask them to make that happen some day.

Those guacamole bacon sandwiches look awesome. I don't think I ever combined those two flavours.

But the cooked noodles. Must be the lighting or something but they look like certain unwelcome guests to me. Hope I didn't ruin anyone's appetite.

That looks pretty amazing, Nakedsushi. I've never made pasta or noodles from scratch but friends of mine have some sort of device that looks like it came from a torture museum but they tell me it's from Italy and can produce pasta. Been meaning to ask them to make that happen some day.

Making udon from scratch is pretty easy, and doesn't require a pasta machine. I usually use this process:

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/udon/ss/makingudonsteps.htm

Although we knead it by putting it in a heavy plastic bag and letting our daughters walk on it, the semi-traditional way :).

DJ_Lae

Guacamole and bacon is wonderful. I usually don't just do those two things, but toss them in a grilled sandwich with some chicken and tomatoes.

Made a chicken Hawaiian pizza from scratch last night. I felt a bit bad using canned pineapple but I didn't feel like going to the store. I also didn't take a picture.

But it was delicious. My only problem is something I'm slowly getting better at - stretching the dough to the pizza plate. I always end up with an uneven bottom, pulling the dough thin in spots while it gets bunched up in others. Dunno if there's a trick to it or I just have to keep practicing. It's mostly an aesthetic thing as it still tastes delicious.

You don't need a machine for this. Usually we just roll the dough as flat as we can, flour it well, then fold it accordion style loosely and cut into thin strips. Super easy.

Milchjon

My favorite fool proof go to "recipe" may just be some bell peppers and onions sliced up and cooked in a pan. Works for sandwiches, my burrito/taco-approximations and as a simple side. Love it.

DJ_Lae

My favorite fool proof go to "recipe" may just be some bell peppers and onions sliced up and cooked in a pan. Works for sandwiches, my burrito/taco-approximations and as a simple side. Love it.

Yeah they're great with melted cheese on a sandwich.

Or sausage, peppers and onions. Man, I could go for that right now.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looks great,everybody. I'd be interested in the buns recipe as well.

and a special warm welcome to drPepper, looking forward to seeing more stuff of you! The Tafelspitz looks extremely juidy, not many chefs can pull that off like that. congrats.

I was guest at the annual entrepreneurs meeting in one of "my" cities yesterday, quite the menu they had:
image-14.jpg

non-german-speaking GAF, feel free to translate ;)

yamo

^-- Who cares about fancy? That burger looks great! And good job on the buns. Were they hard to make?

Thanks!

Bread wasn't hard, but I used to work as a baker-man so I improvised. It's only yeast, wheat flour, salt, water and then some roasted sesame seeds and flake salt on the top.

Great looking burger, makes me want to go and make burger right now... and this is me speaking after just having dinner and then this as dessert:

Joconde Double Mousse Cake

joconde1.jpg

joconde2.jpg

This is actually just an experiement or rather a test cake. I've been asked to provide a cake for a family dinner next weekend, and since mousse cakes are my favorite, I wanted to step it up further. So this is the first time making joconde, which is having cake as an outer ring. It went better than expected and now I know the exact amount of batter needed, how long it takes to bake, etc. The mousse are dark chocolate mousse and strawberry mousse. Covered with a layer of chocolate ganache.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Something occurred to me. Do you guys eat cakes and cookies all the time?

Most of my baking I bring in to work. I do it (and cooking) to learn and as a creative outlet, but I'd be fat(ter) if I ate any more than a fraction of it.

Speaking of which, I made a followup batch of "Death by OREO' cupcakes. This time I'd run out of classic OREO cookies, so I used chocolate creme OREO cookies for the 'hidden' one at the base and chopped up in the cupcake itself. I have dubbed them Death by OREO Chocolate Double Downs.

Also, I didn't make this, but thought people here would appreciate this. We integrated Chartboost into one of our upcoming iOS games, so they sent us this cake. As you may have guessed, we might be doing something with OREO cookies...

Alucrid

Banned
Great looking burger, makes me want to go and make burger right now... and this is me speaking after just having dinner and then this as dessert:

Joconde Double Mousse Cake

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/joconde1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/joconde2.jpg[IMG]

This is actually just an experiement or rather a test cake. I've been asked to provide a cake for a family dinner next weekend, and since mousse cakes are my favorite, I wanted to step it up further. So this is the first time making joconde, which is having cake as an outer ring. It went better than expected and now I know the exact amount of batter needed, how long it takes to bake, etc. The mousse are dark chocolate mousse and strawberry mousse. Covered with a layer of chocolate ganache.[/QUOTE]

oh my god

looks delicious

Pennywise

Looks great,everybody. I'd be interested in the buns recipe as well.

and a special warm welcome to drPepper, looking forward to seeing more stuff of you! The Tafelspitz looks extremely juidy, not many chefs can pull that off like that. congrats.

I was guest at the annual entrepreneurs meeting in one of "my" cities yesterday, quite the menu they had:

non-german-speaking GAF, feel free to translate ;)

Hopefully you took the Angus ?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Had a bunch of leftover brioche dough, so... cinnamon-sugar and chocolate mousse filled donuts. There were 28 donuts initially, and it's a wonder I got a picture at all because people fell on these like wild animals on a fresh carcass.

DJ_Lae

Made another pizza tonight as I still had half a can of pineapple left as well as another roasted chicken breast. Cobbled together a makeshift sauce out of tomato sauce and BBQ sauce with a bit of minced garlic, and it worked surprisingly well.

My daughter absolutely had to help out, too.

iiDfl99RHPwL7.jpg

ibvCTkUJDMxy15.jpg

ibhR15UWC4Mxry.jpg

She put all the pineapple and chicken chunks on as well as the majority of the cheese. All I had to do was even out the cheese as I think she was getting lazy after being so careful with the other toppings.

Crust wasn't particularly even but it still tasted good.

She put all the pineapple and chicken chunks on as well as the majority of the cheese. All I had to do was even out the cheese as I think she was getting lazy after being so careful with the other toppings.

Aw cute. You should leave the cheese how she put it and make her eat her mistake. My parents used to do that to me when I helped wrapped dumplings -- I had to eat all the ugly/exploded ones. Ah Asian parents!

For lunch I made pasta with butter, anchovies, and mixed leafy greens. This was the first time I made brown butter and now I'm a fan. I probably will still use olive oil for this dish because I think olive oil and anchovies taste better together but man, brown butter is like the tasty, nutty cousin of regular butter!

Then for dinner:

I was craving mapo tofu but my husband didn't make it last night, so I made it tonight. It came out pretty well and very numbing, which was the point of the dish. I loosely followed Fuschia Dunlop's recipe from Every Grain Of Rice. I think the recipe can be found online here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/mapo-tofu-sichuan-food-recipe.html

But I really recommend Every Grain of Rice if you're into or just starting out with Chinese cooking. It's pretty informative and an interesting read with her anecdotes about each dish.

Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking by Fuchsia Dunlop

Silkworm

Then for dinner:

I was craving mapo tofu but my husband didn't make it last night, so I made it tonight. It came out pretty well and very numbing, which was the point of the dish. I loosely followed Fuschia Dunlop's recipe from Every Grain Of Rice. I think the recipe can be found online here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/mapo-tofu-sichuan-food-recipe.html

But I really recommend Every Grain of Rice if you're into or just starting out with Chinese cooking. It's pretty informative and an interesting read with her anecdotes about each dish.

Ohhhhhhhh, mapo tofu!!!! :) I haven't had that in so long but when I worked elsewhere about 5 years ago there was a place were I could got get that for lunch and it was sooooo good! Now I have a strong craving :-D The recipe you linked too doesn't seem to complicated so maybe I'll give it a shot. Also thanks for the book recommendation. However it looks like it won't be published until Feb 2013 in the US *sigh* I suppose it could be imported from the UK but I think I'll just be patient :)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
How did you get a copy? Not out until 2013.

Also if we are recommending cookbooks, I recommend Faviken. It has literally changed the way I think about making food.
faviken.jpeg

I really need to make it up there. A friend is the sommelier there, so I should be able to get a reservation. Haven't seen the book though, need to look that up as well.

I do have Modernist Cuisine at home waiting for me at my parents.

Then for dinner:

Hnnnggg that looks awesome. I ordered that from the chinese food place nearby my work but it sucked. They basically dumped (wet) tofu in their "szechuan sauce" and called it a day. The sauce was very watered down and flavorless. Disappointing. Yours however looks incredible.

Made another pizza tonight as I still had half a can of pineapple left as well as another roasted chicken breast. Cobbled together a makeshift sauce out of tomato sauce and BBQ sauce with a bit of minced garlic, and it worked surprisingly well.

My daughter absolutely had to help out, too.

iiDfl99RHPwL7.jpg

ibvCTkUJDMxy15.jpg

ibhR15UWC4Mxry.jpg

Wonderful pizza nonetheless!
Did the cat try to grab a slice?

How did you get a copy? Not out until 2013.

The perks of working for Goodreads =) I requested a review copy and the publisher sent it to me.

Hnnnggg that looks awesome. I ordered that from the chinese food place nearby my work but it sucked. They basically dumped (wet) tofu in their "szechuan sauce" and called it a day. The sauce was very watered down and flavorless. Disappointing. Yours however looks incredible.

I avoid ordering mapo tofu from anywhere but a szechuan restaurant because poorly made mapo tofu is kind of gross. I hate it when they don't put enough numbing pepper in it or if it's too sweet or gloopy.

What the recipe has you do is to chop the tofu and then simmer it in water for a few minutes before putting it into the wok with the other ingredients. I don't know if that actually makes a difference in the end result though. Maybe it makes the tofu more porous so that it can pick up the flavors of the sauce more.

Collete

Then for dinner:

Wow that mapo tofu looks amazing, better than my first attempt at it.
Might give it a try again using that recipe, my version was too watery *sigh*.

I made a vegetarian meatloaf, however not going to show pictures.
Mainly because it doesn't look appealing and looks like slop.
In any case, it's pretty decent, I messed up this time because I was in a rush cooking this week.
But it has all the good stuff like lentils, veggies, etc.

Looks great. Would you mind sharing the recipe?
This cake was mostly a test cake. Next weekend again I'll make the cake again but more refined and better adjusted amount of ingredients etc. So I would rather wait to give out any kind of recipe until I have tried the final cake.

Something occurred to me. Do you guys eat cakes and cookies all the time?
To elaborate on my previous post. Currently I'm on overdrive baking at least twice a week, which is kinda crazy, but this year it finally changed from something I do just to spice things up to being something I would call a hobby of mine. Since I'm kinda new at all these things I want to experiment and try out as many cakes as possible so that I can get some experience. A cake like the joconde doubel mousse lasts me and my girlfriend 3 days, so it's not like we eat a crazy amount of cake, but we do almost something for dessert daily. Another hobby I got is martial art, or more specifcially, Aikido. I dedicate a lot of time on it, so all that physical training makes me eat cake with a good conscience :)

Here are some pics of me training while we are at it.
Some day when my metabolism wont work with me anymore I'm gonna get instantly fat I assume XD

Wow that mapo tofu looks amazing, better than my first attempt at it.
Might give it a try again using that recipe, my version was too watery *sigh*.

I made a vegetarian meatloaf, however not going to show pictures.
Mainly because it doesn't look appealing and looks like slop.
In any case, it's pretty decent, I messed up this time because I was in a rush cooking this week.
But it has all the good stuff like lentils, veggies, etc.

What did you use as the base for the meatloaf? I was thinking of making a vegan meatloaf soon so I can make meatloaf sandwiches but haven't figured out what to put inside. Lentils seems like a good idea since they have lots of protein. Maybe I'll do something like lentils, onions, carrots, and then with seitan as the binder/base?

I was afraid my mapo tofu was going to be too watery, but maybe that simmering in water step and then draining is what keeps the tofu from getting too soggy, even though it sounds like the opposite. Also, the spicy bean paste I used thickened up the rest of the stuff a lot. To finish, I put in a potato starch and water slurry, which helped the sauce get more sticky and less watery, so maybe you need to do that step too. You can use corn starch if you don't have potato starch. Just 1 tsp corn starch and 2 tsp water, mix, add it in the end and cook for a minute or two and it'll get more sticky.

To elaborate on my previous post. Currently I'm on overdrive baking at least twice a week, which is kinda crazy, but this year it finally changed from something I do just to spice things up to being something I would call a hobby of mine. Since I'm kinda new at all these things I want to experiment and try out as many cakes as possible so that I can get some experience. A cake like the joconde doubel mousse lasts me and my girlfriend 3 days, so it's not like we eat a crazy amount of cake, but we do almost something for dessert daily. Another hobby I got is martial art, or more specifcially, Aikido. I dedicate a lot of time on it, so all that physical training makes me eat cake with a good conscience :)

Upon reading this I first thought that seemed like a lot of cake, but I guess it's not so bad over 3 days. If you each have a slice for dinner, then it sounds reasonable. My husband and I once ate a whole pan of peach crumble in one sitting. I don't know if I would be able to keep it up for that many days in a row though. It's good you're physically active, haha.

Collete

What did you use as the base for the meatloaf? I was thinking of making a vegan meatloaf soon so I can make meatloaf sandwiches but haven't figured out what to put inside. Lentils seems like a good idea since they have lots of protein. Maybe I'll do something like lentils, onions, carrots, and then with seitan as the binder/base?

I was afraid my mapo tofu was going to be too watery, but maybe that simmering in water step and then draining is what keeps the tofu from getting too soggy, even though it sounds like the opposite. Also, the spicy bean paste I used thickened up the rest of the stuff a lot. To finish, I put in a potato starch and water slurry, which helped the sauce get more sticky and less watery, so maybe you need to do that step too. You can use corn starch if you don't have potato starch. Just 1 tsp corn starch and 2 tsp water, mix, add it in the end and cook for a minute or two and it'll get more sticky.

The base is made from lentils, but I'm usually too lazy to wait 40 minutes to cook the lentils so I take canned lentils to save time.
Here's the recipe (tweaked to my own liking but adjust how you see fit.)
This is also assuming you're cooking the lentil from scratch.

Vegetarian Meatloaf Recipe

2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup lentils (or 2 cans of lentils)
1 small onion, diced/minced
A few mushrooms diced if you desire
1 cup quick-cooking oat
1/2 or 3/4 cup of grated cheese (personally I think it's fine without it)
1 egg, beaten OR 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons of water
4 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce (or 4.5 ounces tomato sauce) (Or use half BBQ sauce and half ketchup, also works out fine)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper

Directions:

1 Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
2 Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
3 Remove from fire.
4 Drain and partially mash lentils.
5 Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
6 Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
7 Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
8 Mix well.
9 Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) or well-greased.
10 Smooth top with back of spoon.
11 Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
12 Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
13 Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.

I did the starch part last time but still made it watery...
I'll think of adding more of the bean paste next time.
Thanks for the tips :)

Edit: forgot to add, if you want the loaf to stay together to form patties, add the eggs rather than flax seed.
Only reason I don't is because I didn't really want the cholesterol and ingest more flax seed in my diet.

7aged

Here's one for you, IronGAF. I made a simple but tasty lunch today:

dERIx.jpg

Penne with leeks, tomato and wild mushrooms

softened leeks in a pan with olive oil. Added garlic, then the mushrooms, then the tomatoes. Finished with a bit of chilli oil. dump penne on top.

simples

Talon

I'm excited to see what you (American) folks are preparing for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite parts of GAF is this thread around major feast days. :)

Collete

I'm excited to see what you (American) folks are preparing for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite parts of GAF is this thread around major feast days. :)

Being from an Indian-American family, it's usually involves the usual curries we normally eat on a regular basis.
If we really wanted something traditional on Thanksgiving it's usually up to the younger generation to do something.
(That or the hostess makes some roast chicken/turkey).
Still thinking of just making some sort of pie (that isn't pumpkin, pecan, or apple) but not sure what.

Here's one for you, IronGAF. I made a simple but tasty lunch today:

Penne with leeks, tomato and wild mushrooms

softened leeks in a pan with olive oil. Added garlic, then the mushrooms, then the tomatoes. Finished with a bit of chilli oil. dump penne on top.

simples

I love it.

As someone who isn't much of a cook, the simple recipes are the ones I look forward to the most in here. The shepherd pie someone posted many pages back was a pretty handy recipe too.

7aged

I love it.

As someone who isn't much of a cook, the simple recipes are the ones I look forward to the most in here. The shepherd pie someone posted many pages back was a pretty handy recipe too.

Pasta lends itself well to simple cooking. Dishes like puttanesca or pasta with broccoli are ridiculously easy to make and taste awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom