• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Goddamn I am hungry..........

It's friggin 4AM, My plane for Malaysia leaves in 5 hours and I gotta leave for the airport in 2. When I get there I am gonna eat till my stomach explodes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
airports are stuffed with fast fod joints, right? even our small airport has BK, subways and lots of bakeries.

Edit: and have fun on the trip!

Zyzyxxz

I'd rather wait till the airplane and they give me my pack of nuts. Or I can give the stewardess mine if she is hot...:D

anyway the food in Malaysia is suppose to be cheap as hell. I will probably buy some McDonalds at the airport anyway

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dinner is...

...NEW JOB, BABY!:lol
Just returned from a job interview and got the offer a few minutes ago. All hail me!:lol

Now excuse me while I sip half a glass of pink shampain!

Congrats on the new job, Onkel. Out of curiosity, what do you do that gives you so much free time and energy to make such fantastic meals?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
Congrats on the new job, Onkel. Out of curiosity, what do you do that gives you so much free time and energy to make such fantastic meals?
My current job:lol
Srsly, cooking has been an important part of my life so far; the dishes I post are our normal dinners. I'm no professional cook and will never be though; I earn my living as a lawyer.

Edit: worked as a ships cook for a few years when I was younger.

Flo

I should make something nice again, but when you cook for one you always have too much and it gets pretty expensive. Anyone got tips for that? One way would be to make more and put stuff in the freezer, but my freezer is tiny and already totally full.. So.. Other tips?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks, Jacobi!

Flo said:
I should make something nice again, but when you cook for one you always have too much and it gets pretty expensive. Anyone got tips for that? One way would be to make more and put stuff in the freezer, but my freezer is tiny and already totally full.. So.. Other tips?
Honest tip, try to cook less. most recipes can be broken down to "amount of ingredient per person", you could go with that.

Flo said:

Whenever I have leftovers, I separate them into individual servings and freeze them for when I want to bring lunch or I'm too lazy to cook another day.

onkel, congrats. here is another roast chicken, but with a diff. recipe - stuffed with one head of garlic, lemon, and thyme. my original recipe is far simpler, and i think i'm sticking to that since the flavor return on this modified recipe isn't so huge.

2110225524_a5c04d3703.jpg

OnkelC is my hero. This thread has inspired me to actually try and learn to do some proper cooking, rather than heating up frozen pizza and being done with it. Keep the pics coming!

Manaka

Behold, my gingerbread soldier!

86zm90x.jpg

The gingerbread leftovers were way too big to throw 'em away after making some cookies, so I decided to create the ultimate warrior.
(He's bigger than the picture suggests- around 25 cm from bottom to top)

EDIT:

And here's a part of the normal cookies I made (I totally overdid it and made countless more, actually)-

6yn3p6f.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
PrivateRyan, don't make me blush ;) This thread is the work of so many people, most of whom posted way more interesting stuff than myself.

A big hand from me to you, contributors and commenters who made these threads so worthwile.

Manaka, awesome big bad gingerbread man! The cookies look great, too!:lol

Keep them a'comin, folks.

jarosh

tonight's dinner. it's nothing too special honestly. i think i took way too many pics....

fried potatoes and fish (pangasius)

f15-1.jpg

f15-2.jpg

f15-3.jpg

f15-4.jpg

spices: lemon pepper, parsley, black pepper, salt, olive oil

f15-5.jpg

spices: paprika, rosemary, black pepper, some mixed herbs... and:

f15-js.jpg

jamie oliver's smoked chilli salt. lol. it's really good though.

f15-6.jpg

f15-7.jpg

final touch for the fish: white whine

f15-ww.jpg

f15-8.jpg

f15-9.jpg

on the plate

f15-10.jpg

Flo

That soldier is awesome!! :)

Here is what I ate tonight. I used a small form to make the quiche in, but it was still enough for 2 people.. I decided to eat it all myself!

Here is what's in it:
125 gr broccoli in small pieces
1/2 courgette in slices
50 gr pine tree pips baked in a pan till they're brown
3 sheets of dough, defrosted
50 gr of old cheese
2 eggs
1dl cream
1,5 spoon pesto

Preheat the oven at 200 degrees. Put butter in the form and then put the dough in, with a fork you should make some holes in the bottom by just pressing it in (as might be visible in the pic).
Boil the broccoli and courgette for 3 minutes and let it leak out for a while.
In the mean time you can mix the egg, cream and pesto.
Cover the bottom of the form with 1/3 of the cheese, then put the courgette and broccoli on top of that. Another 1/3 of the cheese and half the pine tree pips on top of that. Pour the egg/cream mixture over all of it and smear some over the dough that is still visible. To finish it you put the rest of the cheese and pips on top of everything.
Bake it 40 minutes in an oven 200 degrees

If you want to make this in a normal size form you should double the amounts I used.
It's enough for about 4 persons.

7yrftea.jpg

72h82ee.jpg

71d6r68.jpg

6ypg60k.jpg

6k9g8kh.jpg

I'm totally stuffed!

Oh, and OnkelC, congrats on the job! :)

Flo

OnkelC said:
Nice fish and nice quiche, thanks Flo and jarosh! :)
I dreamt about you last night, really strange. Maybe because I saw your pics in some thread before going to sleep. I think it was at a station in Persona, you were standing there and we talked, don't remember about what. Actually that is all I remember of the whole dream. :)

Jacobi

Banned
Awesome fish, jarosh. I think I'll get one tomorrow when I go to Hamburg (just because it looks so awesome in your post).

tnw

Banned
I hope you live with your parents Jarosh, because no one your age should have such a nice kitchen. I hear those induction heating ranges are really good for grilling!

Flo said:
That soldier is awesome!! :)

Here is what I ate tonight. I used a small form to make the quiche in, but it was still enough for 2 people.. I decided to eat it all myself!

Here is what's in it:
125 gr broccoli in small pieces
1/2 courgette in slices
50 gr pine tree pips baked in a pan till they're brown
3 sheets of dough, defrosted
50 gr of old cheese
2 eggs
1dl cream
1,5 spoon pesto

Just thought I'd add that in American English

courgette= zucchini

pine tree pips= pine nuts

Looks really delicious though. I'm totally going to make that when I finally have a stove where I live again (Japanese homes don't usually have a range :( )

jarosh

tnw said:
I hope you live with your parents Jarosh, because no one your age should have such a nice kitchen. I hear those induction heating ranges are really good for grilling!
haha, no i don't live with my parents. i also don't think my kitchen is that great. plus i don't think you know my age. i'm not that young. i'm 25.

jarosh

btw onkel, do you think it would be ok - since this is a thread about cooking and i guess this is somewhat related - if i posted some pics of my spices and teas (i put quite a bit of work into my setup)? if that's fine with you i'm gonna take pictures tomorrow... going to bed now.

Flo

tnw said:
Just thought I'd add that in American English

courgette= zucchini

pine tree pips= pine nuts

Looks really delicious though. I'm totally going to make that when I finally have a stove where I live again (Japanese homes don't usually have a range :( )
Thanks, I tried looking the nuts up, but the dictionary didn't really help. I thought courgette was a universal thing.
I hope you get your stove soon, it took me a few month when I moved to get one, that sucked badly!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, awesome dishes again! Where do your get your ideas from?

jarosh said:
btw onkel, do you think it would be ok - since this is a thread about cooking and i guess this is somewhat related - if i posted some pics of my spices and teas (i put quite a bit of work into my setup)? if that's fine with you i'm gonna take pictures tomorrow... going to bed now.
Of course it's fine, feel free to post them!

tnw

Banned
jarosh said:
haha, no i don't live with my parents. i also don't think my kitchen is that great. plus i don't think you know my age. i'm not that young. i'm 25.

25 is pretty young to have pasta in jam jars :p

interested to see your tea setup. I'm pretty bare right now but I have some Comte Gris (a lavender scented earl grey), some rooibos, some jasmine tea, and some genmai tea

Do you have one of these hot water heaters? Their what Japan has instead of coffee makers

I want this one by plusminuszero

plusminuszero_waterdispenser_dec_26.jpg

they're great because you can program it to heat the water to 60C, 80C, or 95C, so you'll always have perfect temperature water.

jarosh

tnw said:
25 is pretty young to have pasta in jam jars :p
that was my wife's work, not mine.

tnw said:
Do you have one of these hot water heaters? Their what Japan has instead of coffee makers
yeah i got one of those. we drink a lot of tea so it's worth it. although i don't have a fancy one where you can choose the temperature. will post the tea stuff later...

onkel: i mostly cook depending on mood, weather, and who else is eating. i've been on a meat-heavy diet as of late, so i'll probably be seeking out some hearty veg soclutions in the next few days (suggestions?). when it's nice and cold outside, i like to pull out the slow cooker and have the aroma fill my apt.

of course, i frequent the chowhound recipes and msg boards and see if anything special is on epicurious. i also like to look at recipes from diff. menus of restaurants/chefs that i enjoy eating/reading from. my friend just showed me the menu at Craft, so that has inspired me to try some simple dishes, with fresh ingredients and very little in the way of "hiding" the essence of an ingredient's flavor. the combinations that those chefs have thought of are interesting and bold -- something i'd like to add to my repertoire of food knowledge, but requiring more experience and experimentation.

http://craftrestaurant.com/craft_dinner_menu.html

Kyoufu

Okay so, with the help of the guys here, I finally made that pizza with my friend. We got the dough for an Italian food shop as suggested, and it worked out great.

I'll spare you guys every process that went into it, but what we put on it was:

Tinned Italian tomato sauce (with cherry tomatoes in there),
sliced fresh cherry tomatoes
Italian mozzarella balls
Goat's cheese
Red onions
Black olives
Green and red peppers
Mushrooms
Sweetcorn
Tinned tuna chunks

Heres what it looked like before going in the oven:

IMG_2281.jpg

And here is the masterpiece 30mins later:

IMG_2282.jpg

Since England is made of bad pizza everywhere, this was by far the best pizza I've had here.

NOM NOM NOM!

Oh and I forgot this pic, its beautiful isn't it? I'm stuffed for a week:

IMG_2283.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
congrats, Kyoufu! Very fine pizza tech there! just a hint, try to buy some dedicated baking paper the next time, the aluminum foil tends to stick to the dough and can give an unpleasant surprise in the mouth;)

Schnitzel with fries and peas for us tonight:
smallP1030051.jpg

Enjoy!

Kyoufu

OnkelC said:
congrats, Kyoufu! Very fine pizza tech there! just a hint, try to buy some dedicated baking paper the next time, the aluminum foil tends to stick to the dough and can give an unpleasant surprise in the mouth;)

Schnitzel with fries and peas for us tonight:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Schnitzel/smallP1030051.jpg[/IMG]

Enjoy!

Ahh that looks delicious.

Thankfully nothing sticked to the foil at all. What I did was I put olive oil there so the base wouldn't stick, and it worked!

What I do need to buy though is a rolling pin.

You would never guess what we used to roll the dough....

Wine bottle
:lol

Fuck it, heres a pic of it in action :p

IMG_2280.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Kyoufu said:
What I do need to buy though is a rolling pin.

Wine bottle
:lol
:lol :lol :lol

We all started like this, at least I did. my first rolling pin was a beer bottle, though.

tofu_appetizer.jpg

I went to a northern Chinese breakfast place yesterday and had a baked tofu appetizer (above).

dsc_0012.jpg

Fresh salty curdled soy milk. (Kind of like porridge).

dsc_0014.jpg

A sandwich with slices of braised beef, chinese pickled vegetables and cilantro. The big "breadstick" in the back is called 'you tiao' and it's like a savory donut you dip into the curdled soy milk porridge.

So I made two baking sheets of Berliner Brot (German Christmas pastry, it consists of hazelnuts, almond, flour, a cup of cold coffee, two eggs, two spoons of cocoa, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown rock candy) today and it seems and tastes to be quite ok. I used a little too much pepper, but well, the family reacted in a good way and didn't spit it out.:lol

Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of the whole process. :(

But well, this is how it went out:

2115916866_d8ff18f089.jpg

jarosh

tonight's dinner. again, nothing too special. lazy sweet and sour with tofu and jasmin rice.

1612-1.jpg

1612-2.jpg

peppers and leek

1612-3.jpg

1612-4.jpg

sweet and sour sauce + ginger, cloves, pepper and some sugar

1612-5.jpg

tnw

Banned
Kyoufu said:

Wine bottle
[/IMG]

you should try hand tossing the pizza if you can. I'm assuming that the dough came in a little ball. Just bunch the dough a little to get any air bubbles out, flatten it into a circular shape until it's wide enough that you can toss it a little.

------------------

That Berliner Brot looks really tasty! Makes me think of pfefferneusse for some reason

That stirfry look pretty good jarosh. Does Jasmine rice go well with chinese-ish food? That tofu looks pretty good, did you buy buy the sweet sour sauce (I'm assuming that's what the jar is)

I would love to cook with peppers more, but they are just so freakin expensive here red peppers are at least 250 yen and yellow peppers are like 350-400 yen. :(

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Well it's about time I contributed something to this mouthwatering thread, and since Christmas is about to pounce, here's my Figgy Pudding recipe! Not everyone likes Christmas Pudding, and I'm not sure it's popular in the US, but it's as traditional as Turkey on Thanksgiving in the UK. It's a fruity and winter spiced pudding, delicious with cream or brandy sauce. In these modern times I like to use vodka for the alchohol content ;)

I start with the 'wet' ingredients, the fruit and alchohol:

wetmix.jpg

This is a mixture of:
1/2 pound of sultanas and raisins
1/2 pound of figs, quartered
1/2 pound of dates, stoned
1/2 pound of dried plums (prunes)
3/4 pound dried mixed berries and nuts (here I have cranberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, mulberries and halved macadamia nuts)

These are soaked in a good glassful of cherry vodka, and left to absorb the alcohol in a covered bowl.

In another bowl I mix the dry ingredients:

drymix.jpg

This is:
1/2 pound of flour (I used a half and half mix of wholemeal and white flour)
1/2 pound of light muscovado sugar (any light brown sugar will do)
1/2 pound of fresh breadcrumbs (I used brown bread, but white is fine)
1/2 teaspoon each of mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Once that's made, the wet mix should have soaked up the vodka, then I add the zest and juice of a lemon:

zest.jpg

Then 3/4 of a pound of suet. I use vegetable suet, as I can't tell the difference between that and beef suet, and it's a third less fat too, so that's a bonus I guess :)

suet.jpg

Once that's all mixed in, I add the wet and dry mixes together (I resort to using my clean hands to knead it) along with 4oz of milk and two beaten eggs, to make this Christmassy smelling batter:

allmixed.jpg

It goes in the fridge overnight for the flavours to develop, and tomorrow will be PUT IN THE IRON MAIDEN AND BOILED ALIVE FOR 8 HOURS! HAHAHAAHHAHA!

mould.jpg

I'll show you how it turns out tomorrow!

Grecco

Sorry for the not so good pictures.

PC130082.jpg

Shrimp Escabeche with Mangos and Avocados

PC130084.jpg

Escargot Bourgoinese

PC130086.jpg

Ziti with Lemon Cream sauce and Arugola.

I need to work on my camera skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom