• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Made Chef John's Mint Crusted Lamb for lunch. Even though I goofed up a few times (forgot to add cheese, didn't sear very well, lot of bread crumbs falling off before I even put it in), it still turned out pretty nice.
iHjwCsD13Ux6u.JPG
Can't really taste or feel the mint though. Is this normal when cooking with mint or did I just use too little?

Zyzyxxz

Cold weather means hot soup noodle time. Made some pho ga (chicken pho) for the fam.

The stock consisted of 3 full bone in chicken breasts, charred onions, and ginger simmered for 4 hours and then poaching an entire chicken in it for eating later during the last hour. To finish I seasoned it with salt, brown sugar, and fish sauce.
8263541322_777ac97cdc_c.jpg

Taken out and rubbed with salt, allowing to reach room temperature before cutting up.
8262473347_3dc22d8787_c.jpg

Assembled with garnishes consisting of cilantro, thai basil, scallions, and fried shallots.
8262473247_f2d3404b4a_b.jpg

Assembled with garnishes consisting of cilantro, thai basil, scallions, and fried shallots.
8262473247_f2d3404b4a_b.jpg

I love pho ga! I avoid ordering it at restaurants because it's always a disappointment compared to the version my parents make at home. I like it with the fresh thick flat rice noodles. Whenever my mom makes it, she picks up the rice noodles from the Chinatown factory in the morning and stews an old chicken all day. Then she poaches a fresh chicken for the meat and marinates it with a few splashes of fish sauce.

Talon

I love pho ga! I avoid ordering it at restaurants because it's always a disappointment compared to the version my parents make at home. I like it with the fresh thick flat rice noodles. Whenever my mom makes it, she picks up the rice noodles from the Chinatown factory in the morning and stews an old chicken all day. Then she poaches a fresh chicken for the meat and marinates it with a few splashes of fish sauce.
This sounds heavenly.

Zyzyxxz

There's a place in South El Monte that makes it fresh daily, they're located down the street from my mother's business if you want the address I could probably ask her for it.

jarosh

nah, seriously. brown eggs are like 2 to 4 cents a piece more expensive here.

I am baffled by this whole white/brown eggs discussion. All the egg cartons here in Switzerland contain mixed brown and white eggs. And why wouldn't they? There is no difference between the two.

CrankyJay

Banned

Teach me about fish sauce please...I always see it and want to try cooking with it. What is the flavor like? What sort of dishes can I use it in?

There's a place in South El Monte that makes it fresh daily, they're located down the street from my mother's business if you want the address I could probably ask her for it.

Yes please! This will come in handy because the Chinatown place closes so early in the day.

Teach me about fish sauce please...I always see it and want to try cooking with it. What is the flavor like? What sort of dishes can I use it in?

I love it, but some people hate it. It smells really fishy and is an umami bomb, which is probably why I like it. It's also really salty and strong compared to something like soy sauce, so I would use it sparingly. We use the Flying Lion brand, which is available at most Chinese/Viet supermarkets:

Yes please! This will come in handy because the Chinatown place closes so early in the day.

I love it, but some people hate it. It smells really fishy and is an umami bomb, which is probably why I like it. It's also really salty and strong compared to something like soy sauce, so I would use it sparingly. We use the Flying Lion brand, which is available at most Chinese/Viet supermarkets:

DAMN. From Phu Quoc. Buying this for my mom.

Raspberry Flødeboller (chocolate coated marshmallow)

floslashdeboller1.jpg

floslashdeboller2.jpg

First time ever making these traditionally Danish confections. Regular flødeboller are made with just plain white marshmallow filling, though I had to opt for a double raspberry combo with the freeze dried raspberries at hand. They were pretty easy to make, only spending around 90mins on making them. Unfortunately a few months ago I made raspberry flavoured meringue cookies, but the day we ate them I got really sick (probably from food poisoning earlier that day). As soon as I took a bite from the flødboller today I could feel the association, and my stomache actually had a small reaction :/ Such a good combo though(rasp/choco), so be careful what you eat while you are sick.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Made a lemon pie. Tastes great but I need some more practice rolling out the pastry. It was a bit too thick in some places.

dsc00097d6u7k.jpg
looks great nonetheless, thanks for sharing. Please give the recipe as well.

Metroid Killer and Zyzzyx, awesome stuff as well!
Are Aebleskiver similar to the dutch Poffertjes?
smallCIMG4048.jpg

Wanna trade some lemon pie for some raspberry flødeboller? I could really eat some lemon pie right now, and yours look great! Is there some syrup between the pastry and the lemon or is it just the pastry soaked in the lemon curd?

Another quick lunch of pasta and greens today:

BTW, if you ever see this brand of spaghetti at the store GET IT:

It's *so* good. The cooking window for al dente is pretty large for this, so it's pretty hard to mess up. Even when I accidentally over-cook, it still has a nice chewy texture to it.

Also, congrats to Zyzyxxz for the LA Times mention of his tako fries and tacos! Did JGold go back to the bar after that one time? Took him a while to write about it!

looks great nonetheless, thanks for sharing. Please give the recipe as well.
I used this (Dutch) recipe. It's very easy. Rough translation below

For the pastry

250 g plain flour
70 g confectioners' sugar
125 g unsalted butter
2 egg yolks

Mix flour and sugar, put cold butter in cubes in mixture and rub it in until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add egg yolks and knead until you have a nice pastry dough. Wrap it in cling film and put in the fridge for 30 min. After 30 min I rolled out the pastry dough, covered the pie dish with it, used a fork to puncture the base and put it back in the fridge for another 30 min.

For the filling

5 whole eggs
140 g granulated sugar
150 ml cream (35% fat)
100 ml lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest

Put everything except the zest in a measuring cup for easy pouring later on. Mix with a simple whisk until everything is combined. Pour through a sifter and add the zest.

I blind baked the pastry at 160 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. The first 10 minutes covered with parchment paper and baking beans, the last 20 minutes without until the whole crust looked nice and brown. Added the filling and baked it for another 30 minutes until the filling had set.
Wanna trade some lemon pie for some raspberry flødeboller? I could really eat some lemon pie right now, and yours look great! Is there some syrup between the pastry and the lemon or is it just the pastry soaked in the lemon curd?
No syrup. The blind baking made the top of the pastry brown in colour so I guess it just absorbed some of the filling and that is why it looks like another layer.

Are Aebleskiver similar to the dutch Poffertjes?
smallCIMG4048.jpg
Yes, haven't tried them though. But when I got the pan I'm using the pictures it came with a folder full of recipes on puffballs from all over the world and poffertjes was included. Probably only a difference in the ratios of sugar, flour, eggs etc and the way they are served.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone give me some good chicken recipes. I usually eat a chicken breast and veggies every night and like to try new marinades and specifically sauces. Have done a Sherry and a Marsala sauce recently. What else is easy and quick to whip up?

Someone give me some good chicken recipes. I usually eat a chicken breast and veggies every night and like to try new marinades and specifically sauces. Have done a Sherry and a Marsala sauce recently. What else is easy and quick to whip up?
If you got the ingredients this is very quick to make (about 30mins), and it tastes sooooo goood. Haven't made it with mincemeat(not available here in Denmark), but the combination of the flavours is godlike imo.

Leeness

I attempted to make fudge today! Pretty tasty but a quick question.

If you decrease the amount of sugar (it tasted more like sugar than chocolate), will that change the fudge too much? Will it not set/not thicken, etc? Or does anyone have a recipe that makes kind of soft, chocolatey fudge as opposed to harder, sugary fudge?

jet1911

Made some cipailles (or tourtière if someone from Saguenay reads this :p) today. It's a classic winter dish. :D

003_resize6weqc.jpg

005_resize2fcn9.jpg

006_resizephe03.jpg

007_resizea4fld.jpg

Most of the time the dish is not made with ground meat but I had a looooot of it so I used it. I had pork, beef, veal and moose. Turned out real good. :D

I attempted to make fudge today! Pretty tasty but a quick question.

If you decrease the amount of sugar (it tasted more like sugar than chocolate), will that change the fudge too much? Will it not set/not thicken, etc? Or does anyone have a recipe that makes kind of soft, chocolatey fudge as opposed to harder, sugary fudge?

This is very soft, not sure where your sugar sensitivity falls on the spectrum:

3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips (note many bags are 10.5oz now)
7 oz marshmallow fluff
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla

lightly grease 9x13 inch pan
mix butter, sugar, and milk in saucepan, bring to full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly
continue boiling 5 minutes at 234 degrees F (candy thermometer)
remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips
in a mixer put the fluff into the bowl along with the vanilla
pour chocolate into mixing bowl, mix till homogenous
add nuts, mix with spoon
pour into pan, let set, keep covered

Here's a pic of it, wife is doing the holiday baking at the moment:

fudge.jpg

While I'm here, made sushi rolls tonight for the kids, mostly because I enjoy packing the leftovers in their lunch the next day so they can amaze their friends:

makizushi.jpg

Egregious amount of sesame is because the daughters applied it. Cucumber rolls, avocado rolls, and a marinated sauteed tofu "cutlet" roll.

I want to make some savory pies after the last few pages of them. Gentlemen, it's 12:18 in the morning and you're making me hungry :).

Leeness

This is very soft, not sure where your sugar sensitivity falls on the spectrum:

3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips (note many bags are 10.5oz now)
7 oz marshmallow fluff
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla

lightly grease 9x13 inch pan
mix butter, sugar, and milk in saucepan, bring to full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly
continue boiling 5 minutes at 234 degrees F (candy thermometer)
remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips
in a mixer put the fluff into the bowl along with the vanilla
pour chocolate into mixing bowl, mix till homogenous
add nuts, mix with spoon
pour into pan, let set, keep covered

Lawd have mercy, that's the same recipe I used but with like two times the amount of sugar. Haha if 1.5 cups was already way too sweet, then 3 may kill me. Was it tasty? :D

Zyzyxxz

BTW, if you ever see this brand of spaghetti at the store GET IT:

It's *so* good. The cooking window for al dente is pretty large for this, so it's pretty hard to mess up. Even when I accidentally over-cook, it still has a nice chewy texture to it.

Also, congrats to Zyzyxxz for the LA Times mention of his tako fries and tacos! Did JGold go back to the bar after that one time? Took him a while to write about it!

Is this the one they sell at Mitsuwa? It's so expensive! Maybe if I was cooking for myself.

I have a question - I wanted to make some bottles of traditional christmas drinks (Punsch, Glühwein, etc.) now does anyone know about the expiry date for something without alcohol or a 1:1 sugar ratio? I guess 2cl alcohol for 1l "juice" is not enough?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am baffled by this whole white/brown eggs discussion. All the egg cartons here in Switzerland contain mixed brown and white eggs. And why wouldn't they? There is no difference between the two.
SEPARATE BUT EQUAL
Eggs here are crazy cheap. Three dollars a dozen. Huge too.
gm5M6.gif

Eggs in the US where I am are $2 - $2.20 for a dozen Large AA, and you can get them on sale for $1.50-$1.80 or $0.99 at the 99 cent store.

jarosh

$0.99 to $2 for a dozen, eh? What kind of eggs are those? Organic free-range "pastured" eggs from hens that partially feed on worms and bugs? ;)

jarosh

The largest and highest quality eggs here in Switzerland cost about ~$0.90 a piece. So roughly ~$11 for a dozen. They all come with a code printed on them that gives you access to a webcam with a live feed from the respective farm though lol.

Lawd have mercy, that's the same recipe I used but with like two times the amount of sugar. Haha if 1.5 cups was already way too sweet, then 3 may kill me. Was it tasty? :D

Haha, it's on the sweet side for me for sure, but I have a high sensitivity to sugar--I find most commercial candy and cereals utterly disgusting :). All the relatives/friends love it though.

SEPARATE BUT EQUAL

gm5M6.gif

Eggs in the US where I am are $2 - $2.20 for a dozen Large AA, and you can get them on sale for $1.50-$1.80 or $0.99 at the 99 cent store.

Those are for normal eggs right? I get those hippy dippy cage free, organic, veg-fed eggs from Trader Joes and they're like $4-5 a dozen.

DJ_Lae

I usually get commercial jumbo size eggs. I get them because from what little I had to do with livestock production for the past decade I learned that those eggs generally come from older, bigger birds, and most large farms sell off their laying hens from 1-1.5 years of age as stewing hens because of the size of the cages and because their egg production and dietary requirements change. Without supplements their eggs become more fragile, and I think as a result there's a lot more breakage associated with shipping jumbo eggs so it makes more financial sense to turn over the birds before they reach that point.

Anyway, from what I've found by buying various eggs from grocery stores or farmer's markets, those jumbo eggs seem to come from farms with old birds and based on their darker yolks I'm going to assume they get some amount of pasture time or a more varied diet. Plus I always get a kick out of double yolk eggs and those are almost guaranteed if you get a batch from a regular factory farm - a jumbo egg laid by a young bird is usually a double, and sunny side up or poached eggs with those amuse me.

The side benefit is that most of the time I get big eggs that taste very close to the free-range/organic eggs and I pay almost half as much (little over $3 a dozen). Sometimes I don't get lucky, of course, and end up with big, watery, mostly tasteless eggs like your average supermarket one, but that's not completely bad either as my daughter prefers a less eggy taste and they still work fine in baking or other dishes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Those are for normal eggs right? I get those hippy dippy cage free, organic, veg-fed eggs from Trader Joes and they're like $4-5 a dozen.
Of course! I don't think those are going to come down to a buck a dozen anytime soon.

Might be a good time to try some fancier eggs and see if I can taste the difference.

DJ_Lae

I've been tempted by a current sale on deep fryers - one place has a cute little round one half price and it's not so large I would feel weird about adding yet another appliance to my cupboards. Plus I've done deep frying myself in a dutch oven and it's a pain in the ass to maintain the temperature and avoid oil splatters all over the stove. Plus I hate cooling and putting oil back in a container, I assume I could just leave oil in the deep fryer after each use and then change it when it gets old enough.

My only hesitation is its 1.5L size and how small cooking batches would be to maintain the temperature. Anyone have experience with those sort of fryers?

I've been using my slow cooker more lately, too, it seems to pair well with winter. In the past two weeks I've made chili, a bean soup, vegetable stew, and my first ever slow cooker ribs, which while not actual bbq still tasted great. At least, the ones that actually braised in the liquid did, as I didn't do a great job of ensuring everything was covered.

1.5L of oil for deep frying is definitely gonna make it difficult to maintain a temp, never tried to deep fry anything that small. But I definitely can recommend the bigger ones for around $70. I have a 30 QT outdoor one I use for turkeys + whatever else I decide to fry come turkey time. It's awesome and it being outdoors solves the problem of your kitchen becoming a grease trap. Just keep it in the garage, no need to take up kitchen space.

Collete

A little delayed on posting any cooking/baking pics as of late because I still do not have a functional PC as of yet. But thought I would upload some photos.

Made hot and sour soup for the first time from scratch:

vRaDj.jpg

It was good but I think I made it too hot cause it was nearly impossible to swallow when I first made it. But the flavors mellowed out a little so I can actually drink it. Nevertheless, I'm impressed with my first try, it was amazing ^^

Chocolate Snickerdoodles:

3uNTV.jpg

RDJfk.jpg

zLIHa.jpg

First batch was kind of flavorless because I didn't think I could flatten the cookie and then put the cinnamon/sugar mixture. So I did the latter on the remaining batch and these were delicious. I was almost regretted making this, but after flattening it and then dipping into the sugar/cinnamon, increases the surface area of sweetness I believe.

A little delayed on posting any cooking/baking pics as of late because I still do not have a functional PC as of yet. But thought I would upload some photos.

vRaDj.jpg

It was good but I think I made it too hot cause it was nearly impossible to swallow when I first made it. But the flavors mellowed out a little so I can actually drink it. Nevertheless, I'm impressed with my first try, it was amazing ^^

Looks good. What did you use to make it spicy? White pepper?

Hoping one of you wise IronGaffers can help out a cooking noob here...

So I tried my hand at making homemade chicken soup last night, which turned out pretty delicious. Fast forward next day, and I just checked up on it after I got back home this evening from work, and the entire pot is now like a freaking tub of jello. Is all of that fat? I even took the skin off the chicken...thought this was supposed to be healthy. I used drumsticks does that matter? And I also included some red potatoes...could it have coagulated from the starch?

In the end, I just heated it up again and it turned back into a liquid state...but does that mean I'm pretty much just drinking fat? It tastes great, but I have a feeling I'm gonna regret this later, haha. Does this gelatin stuff happen to you guys?

Collete

Looks good. What did you use to make it spicy? White pepper?

I used some chili oil and white pepper. But I didn't think it would have made that spicy.
Funny enough, I still think white pepper tastes the same as black and wondering why bother paying 3 dollars for 2 tablespoons worth of it...

Zyzyxxz

I used some chili oil and white pepper. But I didn't think it would have made that spicy.
Funny enough, I still think white pepper tastes the same as black and wondering why bother paying 3 dollars for 2 tablespoons worth of it...

Buy a spicegrinder and get white peppercorns in bulk for cheap and grind in small batches to preserve the flavor.

Collete

Buy a spicegrinder and get white peppercorns in bulk for cheap and grind in small batches to preserve the flavor.

That sounds good, but I have no idea where to even buy white peppercorns in bulk. I know Costco and Sam's probably won't have it.

CrankyJay

Banned

vRaDj.jpg

How involved was it? Care to share the recipe?

Collete

How involved was it? Care to share the recipe?

It's not bad once you get used to making it a ton of times. Any new recipe I find takes some time to read and then double check if you're doing it right.

Sure! I found it on google and was one of the first things I found:

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
(Try to read the intro of the recipe, I chuckled, I admit :p)

"You can use gluten-free soy sauce in this recipe, and use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian. However, do not substitute black pepper for the white pepper. The mushrooms and lily buds can be found at any Chinese market.

Ingredients

6 dried Chinese black fungus
6 dried wood ear, black, cloud, straw, or shiitake mushrooms, or one bunch of fresh enoki mushrooms
5 dried lily buds
One can of bamboo shoots
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of white vinegar or rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
4 cups of chicken broth (use gluten-free broth for gluten-free version)
1/2 block of firm tofu, diced into small cubes
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
3 scallions, diced
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of finely ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon of chili oil (optional)
Cilantro (optional)

Method

1 Pour boiling water over the mushrooms until the mushrooms are covered and allow them to soak for 20 minutes, turning the mushrooms over occasionally. It may not seem like a lot but they will grow quite a bit. After soaking remove any woody ends with a knife. Cut mushrooms into strips. Reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid and mix with the cornstarch. (If using fresh enoki mushrooms set aside as they do not need to soak).

2 Pour boiling water over the lily buds until covered and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Cut the buds crosswise then tear them up into a few bunches.

3 Mix the vinegars and soy sauce together and set aside. Open the can of bamboo shoots, drain well, and cut the shoots lengthwise into strips.

4 Place the chicken broth into a bot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the tofu, mushrooms, lily buds, bamboo shoots, vinegar mixture, and cornstarch mixture. Mix and bring back to a boil. Once it comes to a boil remove from heat. While stirring the soup slowly pour the egg into the broth in a small steam while stirring the soup allowing the egg to instantly cook and feather into the soup.

5 Add the scallions, white pepper, sesame oil, and chili oil if using. Taste and adjust white pepper, vinegar, and salt to taste. Add cilantro to garnish and for added flavor. Serve immediately.

Yield: Serves 4."

Edit: I personally liked the shiitake, tastes more like the "real thing". I don't know what people were thinking when they said to use enoki mushrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom