• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Burger time!

GRtDB.jpg

Portobello beef with rucola, roasted/grilled bellpeppers, bacon, portobello mushrooms and guacemole.

xqFlF.jpg

Lamb burger with taztziki, lime zest and mint.

Negator

I have some Strawberries, Bananas, and an uncut whole pineapple.

Does anyone have any ideas into how to turn these into delicious drinks with a blender?

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone else have a slew of recipes they're going to make over the holidays?

appetizers:
1. Gonna make reuben croquettes aka saurkraut balls (my mom makes these, they're fucking divine)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sauerkraut-balls-2/

2. lil' smoky sausages wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brown-sugar-smokies/

Christmas Eve dinner will be filet mignon and collosal crabs legs

chimichurri chicken tacos
http://www.cw23.com/dpp/winging_it/cooking/lloyd-taco-trucks-makes-chimichurri-chicken-tacos!

So much more...can't wait.

I promised my parents I'd make dessert for Christmas day and now I have no idea what to make!

I think the only request so far is something chocolate-y. I'm a fairly competent cook but not particularly imaginative so I need a clear recipe to follow. I'd rather not make a sponge-type cake as I'm not that wild about them, but if anyone has any good recipes I'd love to hear them! Oh and it's for 5 of us so it doesn't need to be too massive.

Thanks in advance :)

CrankyJay

Banned
I promised my parents I'd make dessert for Christmas day and now I have no idea what to make!

I think the only request so far is something chocolate-y. I'm a fairly competent cook but not particularly imaginative so I need a clear recipe to follow. I'd rather not make a sponge-type cake as I'm not that wild about them, but if anyone has any good recipes I'd love to hear them! Oh and it's for 5 of us so it doesn't need to be too massive.

Thanks in advance :)

How about a black forest cake? Love those.

Baked some cookies which I'll bring with me when I travel to my parents tomorrow.

Traditionally Danish Jewish Cookies
jewishcookies1_zps7ce01924.jpg

jewishcookies2_zps12735b69.jpg

They are baked with sugar and grounded cinnamon on top. One of the few kind of cookies I bake, and it's only during christmas.

Merry christmas all of IronGaf! Can't wait to show all the cookingware that I hopefully get as presents ;P. See ya!

muu

Any good porter brownie recipes you guys know of? A local brewerie had some awesome super-moist brownies that certainly didnt belong in just a brownie. Sort of the thick consistency of cheesecake or something mixed in. I looked up a couple brownie recipes online but while they come out moist it certainly doesn't go down nearly as smooth.

The one I tried was this recipe. Is there any thing better or something I could add onto this one to achieve what I'm looking for?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Dinner at my favorite burger place:
a single with Roquefort and shallots braised in red wine
image_zpsc30ec18f.jpg

a double, plain, with cheese, rosemary potaoes and herbal quark
image_zpsea817ae2.jpg

lWIql.jpg

Crumble: Tostitos Artisan Baked 3 Cheese Queso Nicely seasoned in a cheesy sort of way, probably my second best out of the lot behind the Pepper blend.

Cheese: Belton Farm Port Wine Derby This time the wine was fully soaked instead of just on the outer sections, leading to a wonderful aroma and a definite legacy in every bite. Melted eventually, into a stretchy type, little oil----quite nice and a lucky find for about $9 versus the going rate that I think was around $20/lb.

Took the curry challenge, turned out really, really nice. Because nakedsushi didn't have ratios I looked up another recipe, ended up using this as a base but tweaking it as I cooked because I wasn't using meat. I meant to take a pic of the onions caramelizing because that's the curry "money shot" I suppose ;) but forgot; this is the final product. I was making kim chi at the same time but it was too much hassle to finish since my wife was prepping for a dinner party for tomorrow, so ended up going with a side slaw of cabbage and toasted mustard seeds.

curry-2.jpg

Will be making this on weekends in the future...

TheExodu5

Banned
Making a sugar pie. I used to make them when I was younger, but I've forgotten how I used to make them. I used to use brown sugar and cream...and maybe flour (but I'm not sure about that).

The closest picture I can find online of what it looked like is this:
sugarpieslice.jpg

Not like a traditional sugar pie. I don't like it when the filling is gelatinous. I like a nice, gooey, caramelized interior. First attempt is using 1 cup of dark brown sugar, 1 cup of heavy cream, and one tablespoon of flour. We'll see how it turns out. Could be too watery...we'll see.

Took the curry challenge...

curry-2.jpg

Will be making this on weekends in the future...

Looks spot on! Having it with a cold cabbage salad type thing is a good idea too! Sometimes I get too hot eating curry and rice. I never thought of using worcestershire sauce in curry. Do you taste the difference in the finished product?

Looks spot on! Having it with a cold cabbage salad type thing is a good idea too! Sometimes I get too hot eating curry and rice. I never thought of using worcestershire sauce in curry. Do you taste the difference in the finished product?

I didn't actually use Worcestershire, we might have some on-hand but it's not an ingredient I use with any frequency so I just substituted some tamari instead. What this needed was a little more variety in the vegetables (asparagus would have been nice), but otherwise it was pretty similar to restaurant curries. Eating the yummy leftovers right now :).

Mario, that looks really well prepared, nice work!

cryptic

Attempting Serious Eat's Ultimate Beef Wellington.

Made a few mistakes but it's chilling in the fridge now.

The beef after browning.

Duxelles spread over prosciutto. I didn't realize I only had 8 slices and shingled one layer of prosciutto too close together so I used some salami to cover the gap.

I think you may have steamed the beef a little perhaps by crowding the pan or using too much oil. I had a test where I was making beef stew and that was one of the critiques a chef gave me. My other pieces of meat, which he said were perfect, looked almost burnt to my eyes.

Yes Boss!

Santa came early...refurb'd but was cheap for an oil vacuum pump based chamber sealer :)

IMG_20121218_002021.JPG

My brother got one of these and I was playing around with it in October. Worth every single penny. I was doing the same thing, sealing liquids, soft cheeses, infusing watermelon, making instant pickles. Just a marvel to watch and such a sexy machine with that huge thick-ass plexi lid. Webstaurants has them for just about $800 with free delivery, too. Definitely a machine you can't live without once you try it.

6A6DAA06-FC56-4A0B-81FC-5D34BFA0FA59-11355-00000ADEEC6B74E9.jpg

Ghetto ramen for Christmas Eve, but I'm cooking Lamb Shank Curry tomorrow.

C69762A6-892F-4377-88B7-E08E26B529FC-11355-00000ADF9AC67E5B.jpg

Collete

Making a sugar pie. I used to make them when I was younger, but I've forgotten how I used to make them. I used to use brown sugar and cream...and maybe flour (but I'm not sure about that).

The closest picture I can find online of what it looked like is this:
sugarpieslice.jpg

Not like a traditional sugar pie. I don't like it when the filling is gelatinous. I like a nice, gooey, caramelized interior. First attempt is using 1 cup of dark brown sugar, 1 cup of heavy cream, and one tablespoon of flour. We'll see how it turns out. Could be too watery...we'll see.

Tell me how it goes, I'm kind of curious on "sugar pie", first time hearing of this.

Going to make some baklava tomorrow and "crave" chocolate chip cookies, so look forward to that!
Also, Happy Holidays everyone :)

n0n44m

wow that looks great ... gotta try that Wellington recipe soon

My job tonight was making the dessert. Apple-Date-Pecan Crumble with a scoop of ice cream :)

Just mix flour, sugar & butter in a 1:1:1 ratio (130g of each), with a pinch of salt, shredded orange peel and chopped pecan nuts added to the dough. Then chop the apples (600g) and the dates (250g, remove pit), mix them with some (lots) sugar + cinnamon, wait a few minutes, then put them in the greased dish. Spread crumbs of the dough on top and bake 30~35 minutes @ 180 Celsius.

Christmas Eve dinner tradition of pierogies. Pretty good but we're still having issues with getting the dough thin enough I think. We should make it more often than once a year probably :).

Ricotta and cheddar filling, we also mixed in carmelized onions but I skipped that picture:

piroshka-1.jpg

Dough resting next to a big fermenting vat of kimchi I made:

piroshka-2.jpg

Discs of pastry and prepped filling:

piroshka-3.jpg

Daughter helping seal them:

piroshka-4.jpg

Tray ready to go:

piroshka-5.jpg

The final presentation; side salad is an apple, celery, watercress and walnut salad:

piroshka-6.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Made some cipailles (or tourtière if someone from Saguenay reads this :p) today. It's a classic winter dish. :D

003_resize6weqc.jpg

005_resize2fcn9.jpg

006_resizephe03.jpg

007_resizea4fld.jpg

Most of the time the dish is not made with ground meat but I had a looooot of it so I used it. I had pork, beef, veal and moose. Turned out real good. :D

Oh wow that's the tourtiere I know. My favorite part of visiting my grandparents in Lac St-Jean.

thespot84

Alligator pear stuffed with crabmeat. (this was so good and easy to make)

ikAYgCIln4Nba.jpg

i4betHZBIpzAp.jpg

Salmon with roasted pumpkin salad.

iUcLauVwWWiSL.jpg

iZno6wVOIOyaf.jpg

Very nice! Out of curiousity, where are you that they call them alligator pears? In the states it's avocado, and I was under the impression that they tried to rename them alligator pears here but it didn't take, so we went back to the Nahuatl word for testicle instead :D

Very nice! Out of curiousity, where are you that they call them alligator pears? In the states it's avocado, and I was under the impression that they tried to rename them alligator pears here but it didn't take, so we went back to the Nahuatl word for testicle instead :D
I'm from the Netherlands actually and we simply call them avocado over here. The cooking book where I got this recipe from, called Captain's dinner, called them alligator pears which I found amusing. Wikipedia told me they still (or used to?) call them that in the States. It's a great cooking book by the way. Has most of the dishes in it they cooked on the Holland-America Line cruise back in the '60s.

I wouldn't mind sharing the Avocado recipe if anyone is interested. One of the tastiest meals I ever prepared and it only takes 15 minutes to prepare.

Wikipedia told me they still (or used to?) call them that in the States. It's a great cooking book by the way.

I've lived here my entire life (35 years, both coasts) and have never heard the phrase until I read it in your post. My wife remembered it as a sort of failed branding attempt from a few decades ago though.

As a tangent, I've been collecting names for arugula from the posts in this thread. So many, although I think clearly rocket is the best.

Elev8ion

Neo Member
Never heard of alligator pears until his post as well, alway avocados!

The more you know....

By the way these dishes all look fantastic. Kudos to all of you for your culinary prowess!

Never heard of such a thing but its gotta be amazing.

Totally forgot to take a pic but it was amazing. Graham cracker crust filled with homemade chocolate pudding topped with some marshmallows. Set it under the broiler for a minute or two to roast the marshmallows and it was amazing.

Alligator pear stuffed with crabmeat. (this was so good and easy to make)

ikAYgCIln4Nba.jpg

Looks heavenly! This is the first time I've heard of avocado being called that too, but I like it!

A tradition in my family is home-made pho ga. We make two huge pots, and I mean huge b/c I used be able to fit inside one when I was 4 of broth so we can binge on this for days.

Sumidor

Cousin came over and made me a super delicious prime rib..

IMG_20121224_184649_zpsa57f731f-1_zps8ea265d5.jpg

I tried to help by making some sides, but the prime rib was amazing.

IMG_20121224_201014_zps35ba6e04-1_zps88c7644e-1_zpsa30586f3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom