• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks for the soup recipe. You also sparked my brain

I have an Asian specialty market near me if I need hard to find stuff.

But the best bit is my mom is good friends with a woman who used to own a Chinese restaurant we used to frequent. They had the best hot and sour soup and sold the restaurant years ago. I wonder if she'd be willing to share her recipe. Hers was so dark and rich, but not overly salty and on the hotter side.

Collete

Thanks for the soup recipe. You also sparked my brain

I have an Asian specialty market near me if I need hard to find stuff.

But the best bit is my mom is good friends with a woman who used to own a Chinese restaurant we used to frequent. They had the best hot and sour soup and sold the restaurant years ago. I wonder if she'd be willing to share her recipe. Hers was so dark and rich, but not overly salty and on the hotter side.

No problem!

If you get that recipe, do share it if you can!
Quite curious on how chefs actually make this.

Silkworm

Hoping one of you wise IronGaffers can help out a cooking noob here...

So I tried my hand at making homemade chicken soup last night, which turned out pretty delicious. Fast forward next day, and I just checked up on it after I got back home this evening from work, and the entire pot is now like a freaking tub of jello. Is all of that fat? I even took the skin off the chicken...thought this was supposed to be healthy. I used drumsticks does that matter? And I also included some red potatoes...could it have coagulated from the starch?

In the end, I just heated it up again and it turned back into a liquid state...but does that mean I'm pretty much just drinking fat? It tastes great, but I have a feeling I'm gonna regret this later, haha. Does this gelatin stuff happen to you guys?

I'm not a cooking expert by any means but my guess is that the solidification of the soup was due to collegen (aka gelatin -- just like what's in Jell-O) that gets released from the bones as they cook. So when the soup cools the gelatin causes the soup to "solidify" and then when you heat it up it goes back to a liquid (again just like Jell-O). Gelatin isn't unhealthy per se and having it in your soup is a desired result (flavor! richness!) and I believe the same thing has happened to me when making chicken soup in the past (I have a vague recollection of this happening -- it's been a while since I've made such a soup so I'm a bit foggy on what it looked like). I've read online that this same sort of things often happens when people make their own chicken stock (haven't made my own chicken/beef stock -- one of these days I'll get around to it). So all should be good and healthy to eat :) Congrats on the chicken soup!

Collete

Actually one more question about white pepper, what do people actually use it in?
Is there specific foods it should be used in or is it a "expensive" daily black pepper?

Silkworm

Actually one more question about white pepper, what do people actually use it in?
Is there specific foods it should be used in or is it a "expensive" daily black pepper?

I got this from Cook's Illustrated:

Published July 1, 2005.

What is white pepper and when should I use it?

In French cuisine, black pepper is preferred over white, which is used only when the purity of a dish's appearance would be tainted by flecks of black. In many Asian cuisines, however, the distinctive flavor of white pepper is preferred over the piney, slightly resinous notes of black. We side with the French for our Aïoli recipe but take the Asian approach with Stir-Fried Thai-Style Beef with Chiles and Shallots.

The pepper berries used to make white pepper are the same as those used to make black pepper, but they are harvested at a riper stage. The hulls are then removed, and with them goes the heat that is characteristic of black pepper.

While freshly ground white pepper is more fragrant than preground, we use white pepper so infrequently in the test kitchen that we can't justify purchasing a pepper mill for the sole purpose of grinding it, nor can we be bothered emptying and then refilling the black pepper mill. Instead, we opt for preground white pepper, replenishing the stock when the pepper loses its fragrance. Here's a shopping tip: Purchase white pepper from an Asian market if there's one nearby; you'll pay just a fraction of the supermarket price.

So that's one site/publication's stance on white pepper. Not sure if it answers your question but figured it was info worth sharing :)

Edit: Oh and I've made a recipe for mashed potatoes that uses white pepper instead of black for appearance reasons.

I use it in Chinese food a lot. I buy it pretty cheap from the Chinese market (pre-ground b/c that's how legit Chinese people do it!) so it's not really a cost issue for me. It tastes different than black pepper to me because it's milder. It has more of that back-of-the-throat spicy taste and less of an upfront peppery flavor than black pepper. Like when you drink hot & sour soup at a Chinese restaurant and it's not really spicy at first, and then after a bowl, your throat is kinda burning. That's white pepper.

Also, I've read people use white pepper in dishes where they don't want to see flecks of white pepper in. Like if your'e cooking a white fish or whatever and don't want it be flecked with black. Doesn't really bother me usually, so I just reserve black pepper for western-style dishes and white pepper for Chinese, unless it specifically calls for black pepper, which is rare.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
IronGAF I need some help. I'm cooking all the pulled pork and chicken bbq for the Chirstmas party this year. Unfortunately I don't have access to a smoker but I have been using a slow cooker to make this pulled pork for quite some time and it always turns out good. Not as good as it could be with a smoker but good non the less.

Here's the problem. The 15lb Pork Shoulder I bought from Costco doesn't fit in my Crock pot. However, I do have a Hamilton Beach Oven Roaster. Like this but bigger.
TOxnP.jpg

What temperature should I set this on and how long to cook for the results I would get from the crock pot?

Giard

Hey guys, I'm looking for awesome recipes for cheesecakes. Me and my gf want to make some for Christmas, maybe tiny ones so that everyone gets their own.

We would prefer recipes that don't need baking, but if you know an amazing recipes that requires baking, don't hesitate to share too.

Xeke

Banned
I should have taken a pic of this but I came up with something delicious tonight. Roast a whole onion in the oven for an hour. Cut Baguette in half and pour some balsamic vinaigrette on each half. Load on sliced roasted onion and then swiss cheese on top with black pepper and basil. Broil for a few minutes. Yum.

thespot84

Hey guys, I'm looking for awesome recipes for cheesecakes. Me and my gf want to make some for Christmas, maybe tiny ones so that everyone gets their own.

We would prefer recipes that don't need baking, but if you know an amazing recipes that requires baking, don't hesitate to share too.

I've tried and made a whole bunch. The one on the inside cover of a box of Philadelphia cream cheese is the best so far fwiw.

I should have taken a pic of this but I came up with something delicious tonight. Roast a whole onion in the oven for an hour. Cut Baguette in half and pour some balsamic vinaigrette on each half. Load on sliced roasted onion and then swiss cheese on top with black pepper and basil. Broil for a few minutes. Yum.

Do you take the dry outside skin off the onion before you roast it? Or do you actually mean a whole onion, like just from the store?

Made curry the other night. I usually make the roux from scratch since it's hard to find store-bought roux that's vegan. It's not that much work than curry in a box, actually.

(click on pic for detailed instructions)

Made curry the other night. I usually make the roux from scratch since it's hard to find store-bought roux that's vegan. It's not that much work than curry in a box, actually.

Looks awesome, learning how to make Japanese style curry is on my todo list for cooking in the new year. Kimchi is a nice touch, and those onions cooking on your site look very tasty.

More holiday baking. Shortbread:

shortbread.jpg

Almond butter crunch:

almond-crunch.jpg

IronGAF I need some help. I'm cooking all the pulled pork and chicken bbq for the Chirstmas party this year. Unfortunately I don't have access to a smoker but I have been using a slow cooker to make this pulled pork for quite some time and it always turns out good. Not as good as it could be with a smoker but good non the less.

Here's the problem. The 15lb Pork Shoulder I bought from Costco doesn't fit in my Crock pot. However, I do have a Hamilton Beach Oven Roaster. Like this but bigger.
TOxnP.jpg

What temperature should I set this on and how long to cook for the results I would get from the crock pot?

How low does the temperature range go on the roaster, I'd say any temperature between 250 - 275 for the number of hours that you run your slow cooker at when cooking the pork.
If you really want an exact temperature, run the slow cooker with water in it and determine the temperature from the water after maybe 2-3 hours.

Found out that this will be my Christmas present: A shichirin (commonly erroneously referred to as a hibachi grill)

spin_prod_139807401

Totally earthenware and charcoal-dependent. Can't wait to make my own yakiniku and other stuff.

Lately I've been broiling a lot of fish. Cooked some really tasty snapper for lunch.

Silkworm

Looks awesome, learning how to make Japanese style curry is on my todo list for cooking in the new year. Kimchi is a nice touch, and those onions cooking on your site look very tasty.

More holiday baking. Shortbread:

http://infinite-monkeys.org/michael/misc/shortbread.jpg

Just curious but did you use the Cook's Illustrated recipe for that shortbread? Looks similar to what I made using their recipe, though maybe other shortbread recipes also use a similar method. Been thinking of making it again :)

Just curious but did you use the Cook's Illustrated recipe for that shortbread? Looks similar to what I made using their recipe, though maybe other shortbread recipes also use a similar method. Been thinking of making it again :)

Yup, it's the CI recipe more or less. We've been experimenting with ratios a little bit trying to figure out how to avoid the interior not cooking as evenly as we'd like, but still haven't settled on a "perfect" one. Any pro bakers with tips let me know :).

Silkworm

Yup, it's the CI recipe more or less. We've been experimenting with ratios a little bit trying to figure out how to avoid the interior not cooking as evenly as we'd like, but still haven't settled on a "perfect" one. Any pro bakers with tips let me know :).

Ah, I see. I don't recall having any problems with uneven cooking but it's been a while since I tried that recipe. I do remember that the shortbread pieces were more fragile than I expect so I had a few break on me, but despite that it still tasted fine. Besides I don't think I would have liked them as much if they were less flaky/crumbly :)

Zyzyxxz

Found out that this will be my Christmas present: A shichirin (commonly erroneously referred to as a hibachi grill)

spin_prod_139807401

Totally earthenware and charcoal-dependent. Can't wait to make my own yakiniku and other stuff.

Lately I've been broiling a lot of fish. Cooked some really tasty snapper for lunch.

Nice! I've been planning on building my own yakitori grill for too long though. It's on my New Year's resolution.

jet1911

Made some beef tartar as an amuse bouche yesterday. Topped with a chipotle tabasco whipped cream.

001_resizeiers0.jpg

002_resize5xp51.jpg

004_resizel6rnv.jpg

006_resize40q79.jpg

First time using this kind of Tabasco. Sooooo good. It was the best tartar I've ever made. :)

Is it wrong of me to admire those plates more than the tartar itself? They are perfect for a lot of desserts and I don't really have any nice desserts plates.

Made 3 kinds of smoothies today

smoothies_zps7527bf97.jpg

Juice based with mango and passionfruit, yoghurt based with blueberry and banana, and ice cream based with melon and banana(finally got to use that melon aroma oil!). Always quick and easy and except the melon smoothie they are healthy as well :)

XWneS.jpg

Cheese: Trader Joe's 3-6 month Organic Cheddar Fairly similar to their last sharp one, though younger and more mild in general. Just good and straightforward really.

Crumble: Tyrrell's Worcestershire & Sundried Tomato Love that subtle Worcestershire kick, still affirming itself as a quality company indeed.

Bonus Sauce: 1849 Natural BBQ Sauce So deep, so bold, so rich, so smoky, so thick---a fantastic sauce from out of freaking nowhere and easily up there with the best of BBQ ones thus far. I could smell it before I even opened it....just from taking the little outer wrapper off the bottle neck....

Zyzyxxz

Made some beef tartar as an amuse bouche yesterday. Topped with a chipotle tabasco whipped cream.

001_resizeiers0.jpg

First time using this kind of Tabasco. Sooooo good. It was the best tartar I've ever made. :)

I see chives, maybe shallots, but what are the pink cubes? Looks like bacon?

So I broke my handmixer earlier today and while searching my nearby mall for a new discount emergency one(as I had to do more handmixing stuff today) I ran into some mighty fine looking ox tails on sale. I immediately thought of the ones Zyzyxxz made some days ago.

Any tips (I'm looking at you Zyzyxxz)? I'm braising them in laurel leaves and beef stock for now, adding some vegetables later. Any ingredients that would do wonders?

Zyzyxxz

So I broke my handmixer earlier today and while searching my nearby mall for a new discount emergency one(as I had to do more handmixing stuff today) I ran into some mighty fine looking ox tails on sale. I immediately thought of the ones Zyzyxxz made some days ago.

Any tips (I'm looking at you Zyzyxxz)? I'm braising them in laurel leaves and beef stock for now, adding some vegetables later. Any ingredients that would do wonders?

That sounds good as is. If I may add a little red wine wouldn't hurt too. Just make sure you let them go real long as there's nothing worse than meat that doesn't come off the tail bone. Also don't add vegetables until last 30-40 minutes of cooking (depending on if you are adding potatoes) if you don't want the veges to turn to mush.

Heh, braising ribs and tails right now for company.

House smells unbelievable right now.
Indeed, and dat stock you get out of it! So glad that we are having leftovers for tonight!

Here's a picture of our oxtail last night. Braised with carrots, leak, onion, garlic, laurel leaves and some junipers. Served with potatoes and redcurrant jelly. Tasted awesome!

oxtail_zps9999c5de.jpg

This week is my last week at my current job so I made a persimmon cake, and some more french nougat. This time trying a new variation:

Raspberry French Nougat!
nougat6_zpsf07441d1.jpg

nougat7_zps6d1db76e.jpg

nougat8_zps81a25dc4.jpg

I also made a batch of the regular nougat which you can see in the first picture for comparison. I can never get enough of them and I'm starting to know the cooking rutine so well that I can make them in 50 mins!

CrankyJay

Banned
Indeed, and dat stock you get out of it! So glad that we are having leftovers for tonight!

Here's a picture of our oxtail last night. Braised with carrots, leak, onion, garlic, laurel leaves and some junipers. Served with potatoes and redcurrant jelly. Tasted awesome!

Yeah, leftovers tonight for us as well. I served it over brown rice last night, but usually when we do the leftovers we do them over egg noodles. So delicious...and I usually make enough to bring into work the next day as well so when I heat it up people ask me what it is and say how good it smells.

rykomatsu

Santa came early...refurb'd but was cheap for an oil vacuum pump based chamber sealer :)

IMG_20121218_002021.JPG

and obligatory sealed liquid...

IMG_20121218_001904.jpg

Waiting on a few parts to fix my sous vide temp controller...switch burned out and temp probe went bad, but looking forward to being able to marinade and pickle food without waiting for a long time. My fiancee and I tend to decide what to cook for a meal about 5min before we start cooking which generally precludes us from brining or marinading or what not.

Zyzyxxz

Santa came early...refurb'd but was cheap for an oil vacuum pump based chamber sealer :)

IMG_20121218_002021.JPG

Nice, how much was it if you don't mind saying? I bought the Vacmaster VP112 and while it was only $660 it can't compare to the $2000 Cryovak's I was use to at my laste job.

rykomatsu

Nice, how much was it if you don't mind saying? I bought the Vacmaster VP112 and while it was only $660 it can't compare to the $2000 Cryovak's I was use to at my laste job.

It's a refurb unit that I got pretty cheap off ebay...$430 + $60 S&H lol

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/vacuum_packaging_machine_ary_vacmaster_food_vac_system.aspx#DMCVAC

It's the DMC 260/O unit with gas purge as well as 2 bars for sealing (not that I need to seal 2 bags at once lol). I was originally budgeting $600-700 for the VP112, so this was a no brainer. I'm going to try playing around with watermelon (if I can find any) and some other fruits tonight :)

TheExodu5

Banned
That sounds good as is. If I may add a little red wine wouldn't hurt too. Just make sure you let them go real long as there's nothing worse than meat that doesn't come off the tail bone. Also don't add vegetables until last 30-40 minutes of cooking (depending on if you are adding potatoes) if you don't want the veges to turn to mush.

From what I understand you need to put in something acidic for braising, correct? What I read said that adding something acidic (wine, tomato, etc..) helps break down (something) and tenderize the meat.

Zyzyxxz

It's a refurb unit that I got pretty cheap off ebay...$430 + $60 S&H lol

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/vacuum_packaging_machine_ary_vacmaster_food_vac_system.aspx#DMCVAC

It's the DMC 260/O unit with gas purge as well as 2 bars for sealing (not that I need to seal 2 bags at once lol). I was originally budgeting $600-700 for the VP112, so this was a no brainer. I'm going to try playing around with watermelon (if I can find any) and some other fruits tonight :)

I am suddenly very angry for not checking ebay...

rykomatsu

Or if you want to be wasteful, you can add vegetables early on to add flavor to the stock, then remove and add fresh veggies again, not unlike how some people will cook Pot au Feu

rykomatsu

Tried a few watermelon compressions-

Maybe I should have gone with a more flavorful infusion liquid, but orange gatorade (safeway brand) doesn't impart too much of a flavor, but it seems to mellow out the watermelony edge for lack of a better description. Also, the meat that was near the rind has a tendency to not pick up as much flavor. I always wondered why people took huge chunks of watermelon with rind off instead of trimming close to the edge of the rind...I guess this is why.

The meat does turn a darker red once the cycle is over. I'm in the midst of freezing a bag of compressed watermelon to see if rupturing of the cell walls will change the texture to something less like a watermelon.

Fun fun fun :)

Tr4nce

Zyzyxxz, looks awesome!

Had a "classic" plate dish for dinner yesterday, Roastbeef cold cuts with fried potatoes and eggs:
smallP1000248.jpg

Hey Onkel, could you maybe tell me how you get your potatoes like that? I always try, but they are never going to be like I want them to be. Do you cook them in water first? Or not? And then what? Loads of butter in the pan and let them bake for a long time on low heat?

Please enlighten me about your 'bratkartoffeln' :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Happy birthday Onkel!!!
thank you:)

Hey Onkel, could you maybe tell me how you get your potatoes like that? I always try, but they are never going to be like I want them to be. Do you cook them in water first? Or not? And then what? Loads of butter in the pan and let them bake for a long time on low heat?

Please enlighten me about your 'bratkartoffeln' :p
Best bratkartoffeln is a leftover dish. the only secret is to boil potatoes in the skin the day before, peel them and store them in the fridge overnight. then fry them in a good but not copious amount of oil and salt them a bit. if you feel like adding cubed onions, don't do so until 5-10 minutes before the potatoes are fried to completoion. medium heat and a minute longer is better than high heat and shorter time. As my father in law stated: "Bratkartoffeln sind kein Schnellgericht!" aka "panfries aren't fast food".

Happy Birthday Onkel. Do you have a birthday meal that you usually order or ask to have made (or cook for yourself even though that's unfair on a birthday)?

Collete

Raspberry French Nougat!

nougat8_zps81a25dc4.jpg

I also made a batch of the regular nougat which you can see in the first picture for comparison. I can never get enough of them and I'm starting to know the cooking rutine so well that I can make them in 50 mins!

Dang,that looks beautiful!
It looks like an abstract cherry blossom picture cut up into pieces.
Once again good job!

Also happy birthday Onkel!
Doing anything special today?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Happy Birthday Onkel. Do you have a birthday meal that you usually order or ask to have made (or cook for yourself even though that's unfair on a birthday)?

Dang,that looks beautiful!
It looks like an abstract cherry blossom picture cut up into pieces.
Once again good job!

Also happy birthday Onkel!
Doing anything special today?

Thanks o both of you!

Sadly not, it was an ordinary work day for me and no special cooking. had a plate of jasmine rice topped with canned ragout fin for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom