• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas Eve dinner:

simple caprese salad
img2192oe.jpg

tomato bisque
img2188et.jpg

shishito peppers tossed with olive oil and coarse salt
imag1927.jpg

medley of mushroom "chips"
imag1921.jpg

mashed potatoes
img2191ev.jpg

mashed sweet potatoes
img2187cb.jpg

lobster
img2189m.jpg

roast prime rib
imag1920.jpg

imag1926.jpg

img2190n.jpg

thespot84

Christmas Eve dinner:

simple caprese salad
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/4458/img2192oe.jpg[img]

tomato bisque
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img441/4682/img2188et.jpg[img]

shishito peppers tossed with olive oil and coarse salt
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img841/4958/imag1927.jpg[img]

medley of mushroom "chips"
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img18/5043/imag1921.jpg[img]

mashed potatoes
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img402/8339/img2191ev.jpg[img]

mashed sweet potatoes
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img259/9416/img2187cb.jpg[img]

lobster
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img13/2842/img2189m.jpg[img]

roast prime rib
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img545/1083/imag1920.jpg[img]
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img713/2738/imag1926.jpg[img]
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img90/6183/img2190n.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Looks heavenly. As a Jew I'm commanded by god to eat chinese food on christmas, but it sure looks like I'm missing out.

Those are empanadas I'm afraid.I miss my aunts pierogies, my grandmpothers recipe.

EDIT:perhaps I'm just not used to seeing them baked.

Yeah, when they're baked empanadas, boiled and fried are pierogies.

Those are boiled and fried in butter, as God intended, they were not baked.

ChanHuk

Banned
Roasting my turkey, brined for about 16 hours, herb butter inside the skin of the breast. Roasted at 500F for 30 mins, lowered to 350 and put some strips of bacon across the breast. Now another hour and half until I find out if I fucked up or not.

FStop7

Banned
Oh my God @ this thread. I gained 10 pounds just reading the last 3 pages. I don't think I've seen anything yet that looks less than delicious.

My stuff is almost done. It's all pretty simple...

6 pound bone-in heart of rib roast

Homestyle mashed potatoes lightly topped with a creamy, unsalted butter

Tangy dipping sauce that is a mix of plain Greek yogurt and a fairly strong horseradish sauce - tastes great on both the steak and potatoes

edit - now with pic, it came out fantastic

ibsyzZgKu4CjdH.JPG

TheExodu5

Banned
I didn't end up buying the KitchenAid Mixer. Figured I wouldn't get much use of it at the moment.

I did however jump on this for $99:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0046EDCTM/

I don't have a good roasting pan (only my Dutch Oven) and this seemed like an incredibly good one. A tiny bit pricy, but it seems worth the expense. I really like the fact that the lid can be used on the stovetop...great way to make gravy once the roast is done.

Chilean sea bass is in-season at my local fishmonger... didn't get any, but it looks extremely buttery. Snow-white.

I got some trout, instead. Got a yellow squash, too. Plan on simmering that with some cabbage, onions, and carrots, like my grandmother used to do.

Oh man, send some over here! That lasagna looks perfect.

I went a little wild and made a huge batch of vegetable soup tonight.

Preparing it.

Eating it.

I mainly wanted something to use the chickpeas I cooked from dry a few days ago and the leftover tomato "juice" from some canned tomatoes. It ended up into this giant pot of soup with fennel, carrot, rainbow chard, and beet greens. Pretty filling!

Zyzyxxz

Chilean sea bass is in-season at my local fishmonger... didn't get any, but it looks extremely buttery. Snow-white.

I got some trout, instead. Got a yellow squash, too. Plan on simmering that with some cabbage, onions, and carrots, like my grandmother used to do.

I hope it's responsibly caught because Chilean seabass is overfished.

Made some tamales at work for friends and coworkers, used banana leaves instead of corn husk since that's how I learned from my last job and it's unique as well. The filling is shredded pork belly and sparerib in a guajillo chile sauce.

8313095405_d2fdef63be_o.jpg

8314145004_fabd9f314c_o.jpg

Talon

Tamales! Sounds delicious.

There was a place near school that had an old woman making tamales (up in Roger's Park in Chicago), and she had a special pork tamale that she did separately in banana leaf with mole. Absolutely delicious and massive.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oh my God @ this thread. I gained 10 pounds just reading the last 3 pages. I don't think I've seen anything yet that looks less than delicious.

My stuff is almost done. It's all pretty simple...

6 pound bone-in heart of rib roast

Homestyle mashed potatoes lightly topped with a creamy, unsalted butter

Tangy dipping sauce that is a mix of plain Greek yogurt and a fairly strong horseradish sauce - tastes great on both the steak and potatoes

edit - now with pic, it came out fantastic

ibsyzZgKu4CjdH.JPG

Good god that is a beautiful piece of meat.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just discovered Chicken Wing Gyoza courtesy of the Dotch Cooking Show.

My god, stuffed fried chicken wing. Is such a thing even possible?

Dinner!

I don't always cook fish but when I do, I do it simply.

Sole meuniere, roasted sprouts, and beet salad. Had some leftover pan sauce, so I sopped it up with some baguette and let it toast. GREAT IDEA.

CrankyJay

Banned
Dinner!

I don't always cook fish but when I do, I do it simply.

Sole meuniere, roasted sprouts, and beet salad. Had some leftover pan sauce, so I sopped it up with some baguette and let it toast. GREAT IDEA.

Yeah, capers/fish is something I abide by...love it. The Brussels sprouts look great too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have a 16 oz of puff pastry dough that comes in two pieces, I need one piece to be the wrap for a Wellington. How should I go about turning those two pieces into one? Is it enough to stack them and then roll them out, or should I add something in between to help them adhere?

So today, a friend and I cooked a menu that was incredibly tasty. sorry for the highly compressed pictures:

The Appetiser:

It is a curry made from garbanzos, coconut-milk with a vegetable-bouillon as a basis. I used black hawaiian-salt to bring in some extra flavor.

efgVT.jpg

The Main-dish:

Baked potatoes with a mixture of spices (mostly paprika) and vegan "bacon" made of shiitake mushrooms. It was served with a gratin of pumpkin, zucchini and feta with a sauce based on tomatoes and cream. wie sprinkled some cashews and chili-slices in there. That was pretty fantastic. We had some guacamole and other sauces prepared to add some flavor to the potatoes.

3Hsg3.jpg

The dessert:

The dessert was a simple mousse au chocolat. The consistency wasnt perfect, but the taste was fantastic.

I2dgd.jpg

All in all, I can say that I am really happy with the menu, I could work on its looks, though.

GrayFoxPL

Will be contributing around 25 of these beauties to an early Thanksgiving with friends.

tumblr_mdr07hOapL1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

Cast iron chunk o' steak for dinner with onions, mushrooms, garlic, red chili butter, and zucchini.

tumblr_mdrmp1BnzX1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mduqzjp8fG1qjbrwqo1_1280.jpg

So good I nearly wept.

Breakfast this morning...I have been craving this for weeks.

Everything bagel toasted with creme cheese, red onion, capers and smoked sockeye salmon.

2Eu3f.jpg

Yule porridge (risengrød/scandinavian rice pudding)

ricepudding1.jpg

ricepudding2.jpg

Traditional scandinavian meal during christmas. The rice is cooked in milk, and typically served with red squash or a sweet beer. The pudding is topped with a knob of butter and cinnamonsugar. First time this season which is always the best one. When you get closer to christmas eve you get sick of just the thought of risengrød.

Instead of putting the peppermint extract in the cookies how about making a peppermint filling instead?

(not mine)
Chocolate_Mint_Cookies-3.jpg

For the filling I use a recipe which I call Fluffy White Frosting
You heat some sugar(200g) and water(80ml) in a pan until the sugar has dissolved and it starts boiling. Then you whip 2 eggwhites and a teaspoon of pepperment extract until stiff peaks. Pour the sugar syrup into the stiff eggwhites and whip for 10 mins until thick and glossy. (optional: add green food color). Best served the same day if added between cookies, or keep cooled and rewhip next day.

My first attempt at Swedish Meatballs last night.

swedish-meatballs.jpg

Lookin at these foodz guys!
iwFPzMLw3XhTP.jpg

I'm so hungry! :(

Respect your skills.

Eiolon

How'd you make the sauce? What ingredients?

This was the recipe, given to me by a family friend who is too old to cook for herself but wanted to taste it once more. I did okay, but I didn't have veal so I did 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef for the meatballs.

Meatballs:
1/4 c sauteed onion, cooled
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/2 c milk
1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 lb ground pork
1/4 lb veal
1 large egg
1/2 t ground allspice, ground nutmeg, cracked pepper, salt

Brown little meatballs in a nonstick pan and set to drain on paper towels. Then it's time to make the sauce/gravy:

1 c sliced mushrooms-add to pan drippings and sautee until the mushrooms are cooked). Remove mushrooms to cool.

Gravy
2 T butter
3 T flour
2 c beef stock
1 T chopped dill
1/3 c sour cream

Add butter and flour to that same pan you've been using and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Add beef stock and whisk until smooth, cook to boiling. Remove from heat and whisk in dill and sour cream, once incorporated add the mushrooms and meatballs and let stand for 15 minutes to cool/incorporate.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Looks heavenly! This is the first time I've heard of avocado being called that too, but I like it!

A tradition in my family is home-made pho ga. We make two huge pots, and I mean huge b/c I used be able to fit inside one when I was 4 of broth so we can binge on this for days.

My god... That pho is so beatiful.

This was the recipe, given to me by a family friend who is too old to cook for herself but wanted to taste it once more. I did okay, but I didn't have veal so I did 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef for the meatballs.

Meatballs:
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/2 c milk
1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 lb ground pork
1/4 lb veal
1 large egg

Brown little meatballs in a nonstick pan and set to drain on paper towels. Then it's time to make the sauce/gravy:

1 c sliced mushrooms-add to pan drippings and sautee until the mushrooms are cooked). Remove mushrooms to cool.

Gravy
2 T butter
3 T flour
2 c beef stock
1 T chopped dill
1/3 c sour cream

Add butter and flour to that same pan you've been using and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Add beef stock and whisk until smooth, cook to boiling. Remove from heat and whisk in dill and sour cream, once incorporated add the mushrooms and meatballs and let stand for 15 minutes to cool/incorporate.

On top of this Alton browns recipe and episode where he makes Swedish meatballs turned out very well for me.

Meatballs:
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/2 c milk
1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 lb ground pork
1/4 lb veal
1 large egg

Gravy
2 T butter
3 T flour
2 c beef stock
1 T chopped dill
1/3 c sour cream

YASSS!!!

Thanks

Xlucj.jpg

Kind of a meh round of it;

Cheese: Gabriella Bella Campagna Smoked Hickory Paprika Still the same creamy melter as the Truffle-infused variant, but unlike that one, this one was Mild City which was pretty disappointing as the whole Hickory and Paprika thing would've been swell had they been more pronounced. Quite a mess trying to get it out of the package as well---so it wasn't so much a lack of oil as it was potency. Bah!

Crumble: Whale Tails Blue Tor"Chia" Blue Corn Tortialla with a bunch of Chia seeds in the mix----basic and good, but given the above situation, a more potent chip would've really hit the spot.

You know, I'm a really big Anthony Bourdain fan. But what's funny is that with all of his episodes and locations and what not, I think his very best episode has been the one where he goes back to the restaurant where he worked expo for like 28 years.

Watching the line work is an odd mix of glamour and grit. Makes me want to go visit Zyzyxxz and watch his kitchen in action, haha!

Dynedom

You know, I'm a really big Anthony Bourdain fan. But what's funny is that with all of his episodes and locations and what not, I think his very best episode has been the one where he goes back to the restaurant where he worked expo for like 28 years.

Watching the line work is an odd mix of glamour and grit. Makes me want to go visit Zyzyxxz and watch his kitchen in action, haha!

Back In The Fire is a fantastic episode.

SPEA

Appetizer. Raw Blue Point oysters with a shallot, cucumber, and cilantro vinaigrette.

kfiQm.png

Made fresh pasta for dinner.

w0qKm.jpg

Finish product. Linguini in a pistachio pesto.

9hjid.png

CrankyJay

Banned
Made some Muffaletta sandwiches today...I didn't make the mix myself, but damn is it good.

Spread it all over some fresh baked italian bread I picked up this morning
DeyRD.jpg

Piled on meat and cheese: ham, mortadella, genoa salami, provolone
1ykIw.jpg

Pressed it down with my heavy cast iron skillet and put it in the fridge for a few hours so the oils and juices from the mix could soak into the bread
BjkKb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom