• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet1911

Thanks a lot.

When would I add the cranberries and chocolate? Sprinkle on when in the flat rectangle before rolling up in stage 3 of recipe?

Also, dried cranberries, frozen or fresh?

Stage 1, that way the heat of the rising dough will melt the chocolate. I used dried cranberries. Post your results back! :)

Is there actually good soju out there? I tried some Korean soju and it was disgusting. Like vodka, water, and sugar.

Sugar? Soju shouldn't be sweet. But yeah, soju pretty much tastes like a watered down vodka. I think it's an acquired taste, but to me it just tastes like water. If you find the taste hard to bear and you want to work your way up to it, lots of Koreans have it with a little lemon or lime juice. You can use the soju bottle cap to cut a whole into the lemon/lime (like a cookie cutter), then squeeze it out that way. Some people also like it with cola, but I think that's gross.

The brand I usually get is Chamisul since it's widely available and comes in two kinds. Chamisul Fresh is less alcohol tasting, so maybe try that? http://citywinecellar.com/liquor/soju/chamisul-soju-fresh-375ml.html

TheExodu5

Banned
Sugar? Soju shouldn't be sweet. But yeah, soju pretty much tastes like a watered down vodka. I think it's an acquired taste, but to me it just tastes like water. If you find the taste hard to bear and you want to work your way up to it, lots of Koreans have it with a little lemon or lime juice. You can use the soju bottle cap to cut a whole into the lemon/lime (like a cookie cutter), then squeeze it out that way. Some people also like it with cola, but I think that's gross.

The brand I usually get is Chamisul since it's widely available and comes in two kinds. Chamisul Fresh is less alcohol tasting, so maybe try that? http://citywinecellar.com/liquor/soju/chamisul-soju-fresh-375ml.html

That's the one I've had, heh. Just not a fan of it. I guess I need flavor to overpower the alcohol.

Steak and Potatoes!

First time I did the butter basting with Rosemary and garlic. Turned out wonderful.

jeWdy2WmMpUj3.jpg

I wish there was a butcher nearby where I could buy better pieces of steak :(

Talon

Soju's definitely a little sweet, considering it comes from gam (korean sweet potato). Chu-um churum has HFCS in it at least.

It does go down like straight water. Basically diluted vodka.

Any tips on the best way to clean a stainless steel frying pan with a couple of years of baked-on gunk that just won't scrub off? It's mostly on the sides, and since it doesn't come off with any amount of soaking and scrubbing I'm still using the pan, but I'd like it clean clean.

Is there actually good soju out there? I tried some Korean soju and it was disgusting. Like vodka, water, and sugar.
You could try shochu, which is the Japanese version of pretty much the same thing. In Japan last year I tried a few different (cheap) ones, and a couple were drinkable neat.

Any tips on the best way to clean a stainless steel frying pan with a couple of years of baked-on gunk that just won't scrub off? It's mostly on the sides, and since it doesn't come off with any amount of soaking and scrubbing I'm still using the pan, but I'd like it clean clean.

Bring some vinegar and water (1:1) to a boil in it. Let cool, dispose, light scrub. Rinse, add baking soda and water to form a paste, good scrub. Should look amazing.

Recipe please!

Chicken Breast diced in decent size pieces
Julienne Onions

Marinade:
4-5 cloves of Garlic
Ginger (I used probably around 1/3 cup)
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
1/2 cup yoghurt (or I just used light cream, I think it worked better)
Tandoori Powder
Kashmiri chili powder.
(Since Tandoori Powder already has salt, added none to marinade)

If you don't have Tandoori Powder, make a mix of:
Red Chili Powder
Garam Masala
Little Tumeric
Cumin Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt

I salted the chicken lightly, then added marinade into a zip lock, put in chicken. Went into fridge for 2.5 hours. The longer you marinade the better.

Onions were mixed with a rub of Paprika, Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder.

Oven at 400 F
Rubbed Butter my stoneware pan. This is the first time I used butter for this...ran out of oil.
Onions on the edges, Chicken cubes in the middle. Careful not to stack.
Cooked for 30 minutes, checked. Cooked for further 5-7 minutes. Took them out, rest for a few minutes.

Made a variation on Slutty Brownies last night...

Brownies with hidden Oreo, raspberry ganache and fresh raspberries
sluttybrownies1.jpg

sluttybrownies2.jpg

sluttybrownies3.jpg

sluttybrownies4.jpg

Ok baking the brownies in a silicone muffin form was genius and it was completely unintentionally! Each brownie has so much crust that it's amazing! The raspberry ganache taste a lot of raspberry on its own, but you don't really notice it when eating the entire brownie, oh well I guess it still adds to the subtle raspberry flavour.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Keema curry for lunch:

A test for a curry filling recipe that will eventually be used for curry bread (curry filled deep fried bread). I dunno what it is but every time I make some kind of curry dish it never comes out as rich or hearty as the kind I eat in resturants. It's edible, sure, but it doesn't trigger that reaction where you try to stuff your face as fast as possible.

Keema curry for lunch:

A test for a curry filling recipe that will eventually be used for curry bread (curry filled deep fried bread). I dunno what it is but every time I make some kind of curry dish it never comes out as rich or hearty as the kind I eat in resturants. It's edible, sure, but it doesn't trigger that reaction where you try to stuff your face as fast as possible.

That looks great! As for rich and hearty, not sure...but one thing I learned an year back or so is to be careful with amount (if any) Garam Masala usage with Indian curries, not sure if you used any.

I could hammer that entire pan on a workout day I bet. This kind of stuff is right in my wheelhouse...great job.

Thanks! Ever since I started using Kashmiri Chili Powder in my Tandoori and Tikka recipes, the flavor and looks have gone up a notch.

Haly

That looks great! As for rich and hearty, not sure...but one thing I learned an year back or so is to be careful with amount (if any) Garam Masala usage with Indian curries, not sure if you used any.

I used about 1 teaspoon for about 1.5 lbs of meat and a two cups worth of vegetables. Is that alright? I don't think it overpowered the dish, but I've never had keema so I have no basis of comparison.

So...

Anybody able to give me any good odds on finding a decent regular pizza pan of some configuration, preferably round, via the likes of a local Super Target? Our old one has now crapped out, and betrayed itself as not the quality my mom thought she got a great deal on some years back---what with the crackling/peeling/etc as it wasn't labeled as some non-stick coating laden junk.

I know this is one of those times to push for some kinda pizza stone or baking steel in theory...but the reality is that just isn't likely to be doable on top of the oven not really being suited. Meanwhile, well, I'm going to try to pivot to the old biscuit baking pan as it is sturdy stuff, probably a comparable size for the size of dough mounds we'd been employing from the farmer's market, and seems the right thickness even if this is going to result in some weird Sicilian'ish style pizzas in the interim and a mess of trying to figure out the time for the temp on something new since the damned oven light doesn't work either.

2013~! :shakes fist:

I lost my grandfather yesterday, back in India. Being in US right now sucks.

One thing that cheered me up was my new Knife came in, Nakiri:
iYn41ENMM8IlF.jpg

ivhdiTACox3WZ.jpg

From JCK, can't wait to cook lunch now.

My brother made some Pav Bhaji last week and inspired me to give it a go. Essentially a very intense vegetable curry. A whole variety of veggies are cooked together then lightly mashed and then made into a standard curry defined by ground fennel and dried mango and heavy citrus then finished with a bit of butter to bring it together. Some raw onion and lime juice folded in at the end in addition to the cooked onion at the beginning give it some nice texture. Very nice dish and served with a dinner roll style bread. Definitely going to make it again.

Veggies:

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/gbuczek/BC8891EF-E7DF-445A-BE93-9C7BFB4FE42B-722-00000091C3E0D145_zps77ec81aa.jpg[/MG]

And the finished dish:

[IMG]http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/gbuczek/12BB2C33-DC81-4561-987E-D32B7E91D09D-722-00000091C888B21A_zps2e9ebbd1.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
Do you have a recipe for this? It looks godly.

Collete

I had a most delicious snack just now. Natto on a rice cracker! I mixed it up with ponzu, yuzu pepper, and roasted seaweed. I can see how the sliminess can turn some people off, but I think of it as a feature, not a bug.

8431538930_7a259a81c2.jpg

Sorry for an ancient bump on this post, just want to say I have tried this myself (but had no yuzu or nori on hand) and it's actually edible surprisingly!
Not the best tasting thing (since I'm not a fan of natto, but I eat it for health reasons) but better than eating natto by itself.
Thanks for the tip, naked!

TeKKy310

Neo Member
Coming up with some new menu ideas for work and I'm suggesting a caramelized apple and roasted pine nut salad topped with some seared pork belly. Struggling to come up with a dressing for it though and maybe a couple more ingredients, any suggestions gaf?

EDIT: was thinking of throwing some blue cheese in there as well.

Gila

What do you all do to make Edamame Beans more flavourful? All I do know is just boil them and then sprinkle a little salt and I'm getting bored.

Any new ideas? Nothing too excessive please

You can extra-salt the boiling water and then leave off the salt at the sprinkling stage.

I like stir-frying them still in the pod in a wok w/ soy sauce, sugar, garlic, lemon, and crushed pepper flakes till done. I usually start w/ the frozen one, and stir fry till one of them is done when I try it.

Yes Boss!

Made a nice and simple lamb and coconut curry:

6D83A375-4FBB-405C-A894-499A41830320-3635-0000039D0E3CAC6E_zps3c7a69e2.jpg

Ingredients (not shown but I also added a huge scoop of dried unsweetened coconut during cooking):

16289D53-BA97-4D3E-86FE-0117A575BF89-3635-0000039D2F4C7E5F_zps4587bb60.jpg

Haly

Turmeric, paprika(?), garlic ginger paste, coriander and what's in the fifth cup?

(That looks delicious!)

Yes Boss!

It does look good. I did a quick Google and found this recipe and I think I'll give it a go... though I don't have a pressure cooker.

No need for a pressure cooker. Just cook the vegetables for longer. I chopped the veggies and cooked them till they were soft enough to mash by finger. Separated the water from the veggies then made the curry...added the vitamin-rich water back in and then reduced it all to a choppy consistency. Toasted and ground fennel seed and the dried mango really make the dish. The fresh citrus and onion at the end really amp up the freshness. Quality dish.

Turmeric, paprika(?), garlic ginger paste, coriander and what's in the fifth cup?

That is my garam masala I made a few weeks back...whole cinnamon stick, green cardamon, bay leaf, clove, mace all ground up. Not Paprika...but rather two different kinds of red chili powder...one very spicy, one very mild.

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to do something different with my pork shoulder this week. Maybe some authentic mexican pork tortillas? I know I've seen some posted here.

Yes Boss!

I want to do something different with my pork shoulder this week. Maybe some authentic mexican pork tortillas? I know I've seen some posted here.

I like to take and slow cook it in citrus and spices for a couple hours in the oven (in a dutch oven). Then remove the pork and completely reduce the boiling liquid down to a thick onctueuse liquid. Then toss pork with the liquid in a bowl and then blast them under the broiler on a sheet pan to dry, crisp, and flavor it all up. Then serve on corn tortillas with your favorite veggie condiments.

Also, picked this up at the grocery store on a whim last weekend. Any ideas what to use it for? Is it just a condiment and topper like sour cream?

C2878527-BF16-41C8-9100-67833EAB6000-722-000001017F51E0AF_zpse5377e07.jpg

Also, made a dal mix for breakfast with cucumbers. I used two different kinds of dal (masoor and toor), not by choice but because they came in via UPS with bags broken and were all mixed in the box.

8BF73C2C-1D9E-413F-BD0E-F7BB39FC8EA6-3871-00000435F4C5081B_zpse4f109b1.jpg

Ingredients:

CA936697-2D54-4F03-B568-2E8A6BD4F78A-3871-00000435F9445F7F_zps26c02f98.jpg

Always appreciating your posts Yes Boss! And there's something satisfying my kitchen brain seeing pictures of people's ingredients lined up neat and tidy. :)

Made Raspberry Créme Brulée
raspcremebrulee1.jpg

raspcremebrulee2.jpg

raspcremebrulee3.jpg

Completely infused with raspberries. Whole raspberries in the bottoms of the ramekins cooked in the creme which is colored pink the juice from raspberries(leftover from the brownies I made the other day). The layer of caramelized sugar was mixed with raspberry juice as well(see picture below), and finally topped with fresh raspberries.

raspsugar1.jpg

These pictures were taken this afternoon, and we still got 2 big ramekins of creme brulee for tonight...

Yes Boss!

Always appreciating your posts Yes Boss! And there's something satisfying my kitchen brain seeing pictures of people's ingredients lined up neat and tidy. :)

Yep! Clean as you go. I always like to portion and prep (for more complex things then I'lll do it in stages). I always clean the clean the dishes while cooking as well. Makes for a less stressful cooking experience...found that out years ago.

Also, they delivered a new fridge here and it actually has a freezer so I think I'm going to start making some desserts and ice creams. I always like making ice creams

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
7H0rb8w.jpg

you guys ever cured and smoked your own bacon before? don't. it's blindingly simple and will ruin all other forms of bacon, as this is among the most incredible-tasting things I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom