• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody! keep it coming.
made a cheesecake today, turned out nice:
4920D331-4249-47D5-94CB-49F6B6A8EBEF-1340-000001D16BDBA0F7.jpg

recipe can be found in the second Home-Style cooking thread (for a link see first post in this thread), Post #182 there.

cryptic

Great stuff, everybody! keep it coming.
made a cheesecake today, turned out nice:
4920D331-4249-47D5-94CB-49F6B6A8EBEF-1340-000001D16BDBA0F7.jpg

recipe can be found in the second Home-Style cooking thread (for a link see first post in this thread), Post #182 there.
That look's great. Is it just like Polish Sernik? I believe the cheese used in both is the same at least.

Also, can you help my identify this type of cheesecake:http://instagram.com/p/WDYgLNRCFm/
It's from a Swedish person, and I was thinking it may just be a sernik with the egg whites for the top whipped a lot, but I'm not sure.

What a great idea

ly7T8Cv.jpg

Whenever I make chicken stock, I freeze it in ice cube trays like that. I'll definitely try that olive oil and herb mixture, though I've mostly switched to coconut oil for cooking. Using flavored cubes is great in drinks; lemonade and ice tea cubes work well in both drinks.

I made a mixed-berry pie today. I was hoping to make a slab pie and not use a pan, but there was too much fruit (a frozen Trader Joe's mixed-cherry/berry blend and some strawberries that had gotten too ripe to eat otherwise) and it was a little too juicy. I tried thickening with arrowroot, but didn't use enough. Still, it tastes very good.

jbmwbrvKBPWhhA.PNG

CrankyJay

Banned
I just realized I have a vinegar addiction...in my pantry:

malt vinegar
white vinegar
cider vinegar
red wine vinegar
rice wine vinegar
champagne vinegar

I should probably get some dry sherry vinegar...any other recommendations?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That feeling when you attempt a recipe and it came out poorly, except you don't know what you did wrong because you've never tested it before.

Feels bad man.

What's in there, out of curiosity? All of my favorite casseroles include chicken and broccoli.

4 boiled skinless boneless chicken breasts
Broccoli
Sauce = 1 cup of mayo, 1.5-2.0 cans of cream of chicken soup, 20 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, some lemon juice, Fried crunchy onions.

Cut chicken into small pieces, broccoli into small pieces, put in casserole dish. Cover and mix with sauce. Cook uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes. Last 5 minutes with more fried onions on top.

Ordered an Arcos 4-slot knife roll, since I'm getting picky on the equipment at work. It was a good price and I don't need like 30 slots, and my pal recommended a little smaller than his 10-slot.

Got some shrimp today... need to figure how I'd like to cook them.

thespot84

Ordered an Arcos 4-slot knife roll, since I'm getting picky on the equipment at work. It was a good price and I don't need like 30 slots, and my pal recommended a little smaller than his 10-slot.

Got some shrimp today... need to figure how I'd like to cook them.

peel and eat. Old-bay seasoning. It is the only way.

No need for a pressure cooker. Just cook the vegetables for longer. I chopped the veggies and cooked them till they were soft enough to mash by finger. Separated the water from the veggies then made the curry
I had a shot at making this for dinner tonight. Realised partway through I probably didn't have the most suitable masala (Sri Lankan "unroasted curry powder"), but pressed on regardless.

Probably let it dry out a bit much so there wasn't much gravy there either. Wasn't that impressed until I realised I'd forgotten to add any lemon juice at the end. Once I added some to the bowl I was eating it really turned around and was much nicer. I'll probably try this again, but perhaps a different recipe.

IMG_20130225_185812.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Been busy for us at work now that we're opening up a new place already while still working on our current one.

At the bar/gastropub-in-progress the other guy made a mushroom risotto with seared pompano (we're probably switching to black cod). Garnished with some fried capers, parsley oil, lemon juice
8505709705_d2cebc8205_c.jpg

At our new spot in Downtown LA we're doing Thai street food:

This was just a sample plate, not representative of what the final plate will look like. It has grilled pork collar and a spicy and sour dipping sauce, sticky rice, and a nam prik (thai dip) made with jackfruit and ground pork.
8506818726_bfc2a2abea_c.jpg

Been busy for us at work now that we're opening up a new place already while still working on our current one.

At the bar/gastropub-in-progress the other guy made a mushroom risotto with seared pompano (we're probably switching to black cod). Garnished with some fried capers, parsley oil, lemon juice
[IM]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8505709705_d2cebc8205_c.jpg[/IMG]

At our new spot in Downtown LA we're doing Thai street food:

This was just a sample plate, not representative of what the final plate will look like. It has grilled pork collar and a spicy and sour dipping sauce, sticky rice, and a nam prik (thai dip) made with jackfruit and ground pork.
[IM]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8506818726_bfc2a2abea_c.jpg[/IMG]

You will have to throw up the addresses of your establishments when you guys open up for us that call so cal home.

Zyzyxxz

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Yes Boss!

I had a shot at making this for dinner tonight. Realised partway through I probably didn't have the most suitable masala (Sri Lankan "unroasted curry powder"), but pressed on regardless.

Probably let it dry out a bit much so there wasn't much gravy there either. Wasn't that impressed until I realised I'd forgotten to add any lemon juice at the end. Once I added some to the bowl I was eating it really turned around and was much nicer. I'll probably try this again, but perhaps a different recipe.

Funny you say that because if anything mine was too wet. Just a lot of water comes out of those veggies. I tried to bring it together better at the end but I really did not want to be adding too much fat so I only put a a quarter stick of butter in the quart of bhaji.

Also, I did not really use any type of masala mix...just the normal usual suspects but add a decent sized scoop of toasted and ground fennel seeds. Also, a heaping scoop of the dried mango powder. I'm making another batch in a week or so and will take a few photos.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That look's great. Is it just like Polish Sernik? I believe the cheese used in both is the same at least.

Also, can you help my identify this type of cheesecake:http://instagram.com/p/WDYgLNRCFm/
It's from a Swedish person, and I was thinking it may just be a sernik with the egg whites for the top whipped a lot, but I'm not sure.

it's quite different from Sernik as far as I have read about it, mine is basically just the filling of a cheesecake (no dedicated bottom or crust), fortified by a bit of wheat semolina. No nuts, almonds, dried fruits or anything, just plain cheese :)

No idea about the other posted cake, sorry. Ideas, anybody?

Here's what I made last night

Lemon Meringue Pie
lemonpie1.jpg

lemonpie2.jpg

lemonpie3.jpg

lemonpie4.jpg

So a few weeks ago I made my first pie, which was a lime pie, which was godly. So seeing a recipe for this lemon pie in one of my cookbooks was very tempting with my newfound love for citrus pies. And it was awesome, the filling was just as perfect as the lime filling, the meringue went well, which I thought would be the trickiest part(I generally avoid meringue... always something to mess it up and either you get pefect meringue or you get rubbish), but the crust didn't come out that great. Now I don't have a lot of experience with pies(both baking and eating), but I would almost say that it's like it hadn't been baked enough... which is a damn lie! I blindbaked it for 20 mins, then I baked it for 30 mins with the filling, and then 30 min again with the meringue on top...
Then again while making the crust I already into trouble as the recipe only called for a couple of tablespoons of water to join up the butter and flour, but after 4 spoons of water it still had a consistency of sand, so in the end I added quite a lot of water and let it rest for an hour and hoped it would help, it didn't and I added more water(just from wet hands) while rolling out the dough... Wierd, it's a recipe from the well-respected Hummingbird Bakery...
Oh well I liked the Lime Pie crust better, but it was pain to make since I don't have any machines to grind digestives to powder.

Anyway what did went well was the lemon filling, so let me share how to make that!

How-to: Lemon pie filling

Ingredients: (to fill a 20cm pie, add 30% if your form is 25cm)
4 egg yolks
1 can of condensed milk(~400g)
Juice and zests from 4 lemons
lemonfilling1.jpg

With a metal whisker mix the ingredients together in a large glass bowl. The filling will thicken naturally.
lemonfilling2.jpg

Pour the filling onto a ready pie crust, and bake in a preheated oven(150C) for 20-30 minutes.
lemonfilling3.jpg

The filling should turn into bright yellow and have a firm consistency, but slightly soft in the middle(but not wobbly)
lemonfilling4.jpg

Easy as pie!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
DELICIOUS! I'd like to see the recipe for the meringue pleas.

Nothing spectacular here tonight, just topped a pair of Bratwursts with a bit of cheese:
image.jpg

DELICIOUS! I'd like to see the recipe for the meringue pleas.
Sure, I topped it with Italian Meringue.

Since my pie form is on the small side I made a smaller batch but go for the () measurements if you are making a big pie(or two small ones)

266 g of sugar (400g)
4½ eggwhites (7)
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (½teaspoon)... I just remembered that I forgot to put this in yesterday >_<

Put sugar in a small saucepan and pour in water just so it covers the sugar(adding too much water just results in having to cook it longer, no harm done) and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
Meanwhile whip the eggwhites light and foamy (just a couple of minutes or a bit more, don't let stiff peaks form) on low speed.
Once the sugarsyrup has reached the soft ball stage* (5-10mins), slowly pour it into the eggwhites while mixing it on a high-speed, once it's incorporated, turn up the speed to max and mix for 10-15 minutes. The meringue should have more than doubled in size and be snowwhite as well as thick and glossy.
If using on top of pie preheat the oven while whipping the syrup together with the eggwhites to 150 degrees celsius and bake for 20-30 mins or until it turns brown and feels crisp to touch.

*If you do have a thermometer, aim for 115 celisius(240 F). If you don't, have a bowl of very cold water next to the stove. After about 10 minutes of simmering, drop a teaspoon of the syrup into the cold water. It should form a ball on contact, but it should not keep its shape when you pinch it with your fingers.

Hah, looks like a pokemon!
Ha! When I took it out of the oven I actually got the image of motherbrain inside my head...

mother-brain-tv-characters-photo-1.jpg

Eggs inside eggs. How is the taste though? And did you just drop a raw egg in the oil?

All the little eggs come in a sack that keeps them together. The taste is delicious: somewhat nutty and fatty. the texture may get to some people - you can definitely feel all the little eggs but it just takes some getting used to. All I did was wash the sack, lightly salt on both sides, and fry till lightly browned on both sides.

Just to be clear: chicken eggs were not used in this recipe.

Not sure what happened to the colour in the picture, but here's some pizza I made:
IMG_20130227_182601.jpg

I should really dig out my DSLR if I'm going to participate in this thread instead of using my phone camera.

Made a small pavlova for two with the leftover meringue from the lemon pie

Pavlova
pavlova.jpg

Filled with a raspberry creme full of various berries, topped with mango and clementine and some more berries and brushed with apricot glaze.

jarosh

Unconventional Pizza Time !

Béchamel sauce - Gruyère Cheese - Thinly Sliced Potato - Leek - Rosemary

Béchamel sauce - Grated Parmesan - Mozzarella - Ham - Peas

Replace the Béchamel with sour cream and that's basically a "Flammekueche" (in the US maybe better knows as Tarte flambée: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarte_flambée). In fact, the first one has all the ingredients of a common variation: Gruyere, potatoes, leek. Coincidence or intentional?

n0n44m

Replace the Béchamel with sour cream and that's basically a "Flammekueche" (in the US maybe better knows as Tarte flambée: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarte_flambée). In fact, the first one has all the ingredients of a common variation: Gruyere, potatoes, leek. Coincidence or intentional?

hehe we always get Flammkuchen when we're in the Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald area, but those are always of the Sour Cream/Onions/Bacon version :) is the potato/leek variation Swiss ?

I have tried making Flammkuchen myself as well (though not yet with my current steel plate oven setup), but we're more used to eating those as a snack instead of diner ... probably because we always get them at some Bierstube after hiking ;)

There is actually a recipe for Tarte Flambée in the "My Pizza" book I've gotten these two pizzas from, which is similar to the one I'm familiar with as well.

Personally, I'd say the first pizza was quite like the "Tartiflette" Pizza I had once in France, but my knowledge of Elzas/Alps cooking is a bit limited unfortunately :p shame cause everything there tastes great

But now I will probably make & post some Flammkuchen when my friends come to watch Champions League next week :)

Also I really have to say the second one was nice as well ... the ham gives a nice smokey taste whereas the peas provide some crunch !

jarosh

hehe we always get Flammkuchen when we're in the Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald area, but those are always of the Sour Cream/Onions/Bacon version :) is the potato/leek variation Swiss ?

I have tried making Flammkuchen myself as well (though not yet with my current steel plate oven setup), but we're more used to eating those as a snack instead of diner ... probably because we always get them at some Bierstube after hiking ;)

There is actually a recipe for Tarte Flambée in the "My Pizza" book I've gotten these two pizzas from, which is similar to the one I'm familiar with as well.

Personally, I'd say the first pizza was quite like the "Tartiflette" Pizza I had once in France, but my knowledge of Elzas/Alps cooking is a bit limited unfortunately :p shame cause everything there tastes great

But now I will probably make & post some Flammkuchen when my friends come to watch Champions League next week :)

Also I really have to say the second one was nice as well ... the ham gives a nice smokey taste whereas the peas provide some crunch !

They're quite popular here in Switzerland, yeah. And variations with leek and potatoes are commonly made and sold at street fairs.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
AP8YYPS.jpg

Burger filled wit blue cheese (Roquefort I think) and topped with slices of Nashi pear and caramelised red onions. Pretty good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom