• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

Made some spicy yellow peas and potatos. The yellow peas were a pain to cook. I accidentally bought them instead of chick peas so had to do something with them. Problem was that they were whole so after soaking I had to remove their little natural skin one by one.

DE56D9D1-CC3F-48EF-BBE9-F8C99629AB5B-6939-000007E0B6644A3F.jpg

IronGAF - any recommendations/recipes for some good dessert bars you've encountered? I'm thinking something along the line of blondies or chocolate chip cookie bars or something.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Does anyone know any good shrimp recipes?
How about marinating them in a bit of white wine, garlic, rosemary and salt, the rosting them for a couple minutes?

BBQ season 2013 is opened in our humble kitchen. Starters were chicken skewers, marinated with yoghurt, sriracha and herbes de provence and garlic, served with coleslaws from the turkish deli of trust:
image.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

Enjoy!

Collete

Yesterday was my birthday so I got a huge black magic cake (was worth 20$ but so worth it!) and a mini yin yang cake

OkH4EKY.jpg

d1yaVHF.jpg

GJnRvOL.jpg

xKjMKkB.jpg

HQ55fzt.jpg

thespot84

IronGAF - any recommendations/recipes for some good dessert bars you've encountered? I'm thinking something along the line of blondies or chocolate chip cookie bars or something.

I've had wonderful peanut butter bars at a restaurant but I have nothing in terms of a recipe, sorry.

Yesterday was my birthday so I got a huge black magic cake (was worth 20$ but so worth it!) and a mini yin yang cake

:wonderful cake pics:

Bravo! I've never heard of nor seen a Black Magic cake before---looks pretty awesome though!

On my end, some really good newcomers:

yx3PMgs.jpg

Meat: Boar's Head Reserve Prosciutto Been far too long since I've had any Prosciutto, and while this isn't the "great" one, as that one has less pieces but more importantly a ridiculously brief shelf life after opened and even I have to take a step back at bit at spending $8 on a topping I can only use once---definitely a nice take on it and I appreciate finally finding a take on it that has the pieces separated by little strips of wax paper.

Cheese: Oaxaca Long on my to do list and it didn't disappoint---really is quite like a softer take on Mozzarella without much in the way of oil and is generally a solid pizza cheese for sure.

Crumble: Gringo Jack's Spiced Tortillas MY MIND IS DULY BLOWN. Radically different, and so very much superior, take on tortilla chips that I'd been procrastinating on trying for months now that finally just so happened to go on sale on a day where I came up empty on other options---talk about missing out. So dense....so flaky...so well spiced/seasoned...I'll never be able to think of this sort of chip the same way again and you can be damn sure I'm going to try and get another bag with a good date on it next week to add to the emergency stock of goodness.

Vermont GAF needs to go to their apparently existing restaurant, east coast GAF apparently needs to check Whole Foods for their wares(Marshall's as usual for me..), as I can't fathom an outfit that gets something this right could possibly be dropping the ball on all the rest

Looks great, has a light(thanks to the bread perhaps) look to it which is always a nice change. Can't wait to grill my first meal of the year which will be soon hopefully.

Congrats! Both cakes look great! What was the flavours of the yin and yang cake, chocolate?

Yesterday I made the very first cake I learnt as little and the only cake I've been able to bake until this whole baking craze began.

Casper's Roasting Pan Chocolate Cake
casperschocolatecake.jpg

It's called roasting pan because that's what you bake it in... Otherwise a simple and easy chocolate cake. Instead of milk or cream you add orange juice which makes it a lot more moist compared to other cakes.
I topped it with passionfruit icing and mixed fruit. Again a simple way to make it look elegant.

Recipe:
400 g flour
100 g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
350 g sugar
½ litre orange juice
4 eggs
200 melted margarine

Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry while mixing.
Bake for 35 mins at 175 degree celsius.
Use a greased roasting pan which measures 40x30 cm or two smaller ones.
I prefer to serve same day as baking, as it can get rather massive once it sets(some prefer that...).

Collete

Bravo! I've never heard of nor seen a Black Magic cake before---looks pretty awesome though!

It's a dying recipe/art apparnetly from what I researched. No one really bakes them anymore (except Whole Foods where I got the cakes). I've been trying to find a good Black Magic cake recipe but been failing at finding it. Ah well...

Congrats! Both cakes look great! What was the flavours of the yin and yang cake, chocolate?

Yesterday I made the very first cake I learnt as little and the only cake I've been able to bake until this whole baking craze began.

Casper's Roasting Pan Chocolate Cake
casperschocolatecake.jpg

Thank you!
The brown one was actually a decent chocolate cake (not as good as Black Magic, but still good) the white one was kind of odd. It reminded me of candy melts more than anything. (That or I'm biased to hate white cakes done poorly...which I am haha). But the white one was a vanilla cake, it just kind of tasted odd.

Yeah....You really can do anything, you crazy wizard!

ShinAmano

7H0rb8w.jpg

you guys ever cured and smoked your own bacon before? don't. it's blindingly simple and will ruin all other forms of bacon, as this is among the most incredible-tasting things I've ever had.

That looks great!

Also question...is that the Caphalon Katana? How do you feel about them? I was thinking of picking up some.

It's a dying recipe/art apparnetly from what I researched. No one really bakes them anymore (except Whole Foods where I got the cakes). I've been trying to find a good Black Magic cake recipe but been failing at finding it. Ah well...
I did a quick search, but most blogs that did any Black Magic cakes referred their recipes to Hersheys, but your probably know about that if you've done your research. Never heard about it before, but looks good, it's very moist, no?

Reminds me abit of Brooklyn Blackout cake as they are typically glazed with chocolate cream as well making for stomache twisting choco combo :p

Collete

I did a quick search, but most blogs that did any Black Magic cakes reffered their recipes to Hersheys, but your probably know about that if you've done your research. Never heard about it before, but looks good, it's very moist, no?

Reminds me abit of Brooklyn Blackout cake as they are typically glazed with chocolate cream as well making for stomache twisting choco combo :p

Yeah I did that recipe and posted about it on GAF haha.
It wasn't nearly the same...not anywhere close even when I followed the recipe exactly.
It was a good homemade chocolate cake, just not anywhere near "black magicky".
It is decadent, there's mini chocolate chunks in the batter itself that is easily cut through with a fork. The batter reminds me of dark chocolate with a mix of milk chocolate.
I just wish I can get the recipe from Whole Foods >_< It is just that good...

I know the frosting is of a well made ganache however. If you leave the frosting out to dry, they turn into mini truffles basically. It is absolutely divine.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Also question...is that the Caphalon Katana? How do you feel about them? I was thinking of picking up some.

It is, and I've been very happy with this knife. I tried numerous other much more expensive brands, but the Caphalon is the only one with a handle and weight that felt truly comfortable and natural to me; it was surprising how many terrible handle and bolster designs there are on higher-end knives. Even the longtime chefs that have used mine comment on how nice they think it is.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE, I bought one today.

However, tomorrow I'm going to exchange it. :p

The knife itself is great, and super-attractive... but it does not fit my biomechanical style at all. Instead, I'm gonna go back and probably get the 8" LX Chef Knife (pic). I guess I felt enamored with the katana, but it just doesn't have the rockability....

So I(and my gf since we are using her facebook) joined a facebook birthday cake competition, where you can win expensive baking equipment. The winners are decided by voting... So I need your help!

Please go to the following link: click

And vote(STEM) on this cake (it should be on one of the first couple of pages). You may have to accept the app in order for it to function (you can turn it off/delete it afterwards)
joconde1-1.jpg

My cake may not be the prettiest, but these competitions are always won by who has the most friends, and I could really use some of those prices which I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Thanks for any help IronGaf :)

Collete

So I(and my gf since we are using her facebook) joined a facebook birthday cake competition, where you can win expensive baking equipment. The winners are decided by voting... So I need your help!

And vote(STEM) on this cake (it should be on one of the first couple of pages). You may have to accept the app in order for it to function (you can turn it off/delete it afterwards)
joconde1-1.jpg

My cake may not be the prettiest, but these competitions are always won by who has the most friends, and I could really use some of those prices which I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

I think I voted for you, not sure. I can't read dutch but I did press the blue "del" button. Good luck, metroid!

luoapp

Glad to help a fellow GAFer. Some of the cakes there are really beautiful.

DJ_Lae

I made pulled pork last night - followed a decent recipe I found online for a homemade sweet barbeque sauce, though I would have preferred slightly more vinegar in the end (dunno if the slow-cooking process neuters the acid a bit).

It was delicious. My only complaint was that I didn't have enough sauce for the entire pork shoulder, but that was my own fault as I used an 8 pound picnic roast instead of the 3 pound shoulder it asked for. So currently I have about ten cups of pulled pork leftover in the fridge, half with sauce and half that I'll probably just add something else too. In all likelihood I'll end up freezing some of it, there's no way I can eat it all before it goes bad.

Paired it in the buns with a nice coleslaw, heavy on the lemon and dijon, sweet potato fries on the side. It was great.

Talon

I made pulled pork last night - followed a decent recipe I found online for a homemade sweet barbeque sauce, though I would have preferred slightly more vinegar in the end (dunno if the slow-cooking process neuters the acid a bit).

It was delicious. My only complaint was that I didn't have enough sauce for the entire pork shoulder, but that was my own fault as I used an 8 pound picnic roast instead of the 3 pound shoulder it asked for. So currently I have about ten cups of pulled pork leftover in the fridge, half with sauce and half that I'll probably just add something else too. In all likelihood I'll end up freezing some of it, there's no way I can eat it all before it goes bad.

Paired it in the buns with a nice coleslaw, heavy on the lemon and dijon, sweet potato fries on the side. It was great.
This sounds heavenly.

Well damn, so much for finding a local pan up to my mom's standards (as she vehemently is against "coatings"..), as it is then something sort of like a Sicilian-style I was hounded the entire time about while trying to fix is now in the oven at 400 and we'll see what's happening with it come 20 minutes----I'd rather nearly burn the thing than undercook it as I have no idea how things will behave in this old biscuit pan so we'll see how it goes and perhaps I'll be able to snag a pic of it to edit in.

Anybody have any favorite's as far as normal, non-perforated, not expensive pizza pans go on Amazon? Sigh...

Edit: Well, that worked better than expected aside from taking about 25 minutes versus the usual----probably would've left it in even longer just because but the Oaxaca wouldn't stand up to much more:

LWbShO9.jpg

My aggressive lobbying to apply some good butter to the bottom and sides of the pan was duly vindicated.

Talon

Well damn, so much for finding a local pan up to my mom's standards (as she vehemently is against "coatings"..), as it is then something sort of like a Sicilian-style I was hounded the entire time about while trying to fix is now in the oven at 400 and we'll see what's happening with it come 20 minutes----I'd rather nearly burn the thing than undercook it as I have no idea how things will behave in this old biscuit pan so we'll see how it goes and perhaps I'll be able to snag a pic of it to edit in.

Anybody have any favorite's as far as normal, non-perforated, not expensive pizza pans go on Amazon? Sigh...
I've had much better luck with bricks than pans.

Tom Penny

I've had much better luck with bricks than pans.

Yeah. Buy pizza stone.

Yes Boss!

I've always just used basic restaurant heavy gauge sheet pans for pizza. Blast it at 500 then a few minutes in remove the pan and finish it on the rack, open to the air, with it close to the broiler. Never saw the need for anything else in a normal oven. You can get a half dozen of them for $40 and they have a ton of other uses...taking a silpat for baking, for countertop prep storage, etc. They even take a wire rack for easy cooling/resting of meat and glazing of pastries. Every kitchen should have 6-10.

sheet_zps70a09bb1.jpg

I voted for you but that Converse looks pretty good. Inedible with all that marzipan though.
I think I voted for you, not sure. I can't read dutch but I did press the blue "del" button. Good luck, metroid!
It's not Dutch. Scandinavian language, don't know which one though.

I was looking at some similar sheet pans today at the store, though they were suspiciously labeled in such a way as to not actually say what material they were made from, steel or otherwise. Looks like a good way to go in lieu of a pizza stone, though our oven isn't quite up for Broiler use---kind of in one of those "all is falling apart, old, and wasn't that good in the first place" phases.

This worked pretty well for a nice surprise as per the above tonight though, so I just may elect to delay on this particular issue of Broken Stuff.

Though of course I appreciate all advice given by IronGAF folks on the subject as always!

Silkworm

I've always just used basic restaurant heavy gauge sheet pans for pizza. Blast it at 500 then a few minutes in remove the pan and finish it on the rack, open to the air, with it close to the broiler. Never saw the need for anything else in a normal oven. You can get a half dozen of them for $40 and they have a ton of other uses...taking a silpat for baking, for countertop prep storage, etc. They even take a wire rack for easy cooling/resting of meat and glazing of pastries. Every kitchen should have 6-10.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/gbuczek/sheet_zps70a09bb1.jpg

I have something similar to that. I got a pair of half sheet pans that are 13 gauge by Vollrath. I've been pretty pleased with them but they do warp a bit at high temps but not bad enough to be a real problem. Maybe a 12 gauge pan might be less prone to warp *shrug* I really should get another pair of them (they go for ~$15 per half sheet pan).

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

Chicago Metallic, Vollrath...and a bunch of others. They do come in many different thicknesses. I've got some that are exceptionally thick. You just don't want the ones with the glaze on them, kinda making them non-stick. I used to get them locally at Costa Mesa Restaurant Depot but that was back in the day before the web so now places like webstaurantstore.com have plenty on options.

Zyzyxxz

Some food we've been making at our new food stall hopefully opening with no hiccups by the end of the month.

In this picture there is khao man gai (Thai version of poached chicken and rice), crying tiger (American wagyu steak marinated in oyster sauce), green papaya salad, a sour and spicy chicken soup, five spice pork belly stew with tofu and egg.
8529824185_ed84dc1a17_b.jpg

A close up of the nam prik num which is a roasted green chile dip that you eat with fried pork rinds, chilled vegetables, and sticky rice.
8530937640_dbb64578c7_c.jpg

Made zarusoba with yasai no tempura tonight (homebrewed witbier in the background). The tempura turned out OK I guess. I've done plenty of battered stuff before but never tried tempura. Anyone got a good recipe they've actually used with great success?

0JEI2o4l.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Made zarusoba with yasai no tempura tonight (homebrewed witbier in the background). The tempura turned out OK I guess. I've done plenty of battered stuff before but never tried tempura. Anyone got a good recipe they've actually used with great success?

0JEI2o4l.jpg

It looks like your batter didn't stick on? Don't overmix the batter, it should be lumpy and just barely mixed at all. Also throw in ice cubs with the batter when you mix it.

It looks like your batter didn't stick on? Don't overmix the batter, it should be lumpy and just barely mixed at all. Also throw in ice cubs with the batter when you mix it.
Yeah, that's what happened. It was a bit overmixed by the sounds of it, but I had ice cubes in there. The problem was that I think the recipe I used suggested way too little flour to water. It suggested I use 250mL of water and 3tbs flour, and 1tbs cornflour (and an egg). It was way too watery for any sort of batter I've ever made.

I ended up adding a further 9tbs flour and 3tbs cornflour and it was still too watery. Having never made it I'm not sure what the consistency should be like (compared to say batter for fish, or pancake batter etc).

The batter that did cook was nice, though. :)

Voted... but what's in the cake?
There's a raspberry and bitter chocolate mousse inside, here's another pic
joconde6.jpg

And this is gonna be my last spam/repost of me being in this competition. Please help me by voting, it's very appreciated that so many have voted for me already :)

And vote(STEM) on this cake (it should be on the 4th page). You may have to accept the app in order for it to function (you can turn it off/delete it afterwards)
joconde1-1.jpg

0JEI2o4l.jpg

Instead of water, I use seltzer water (club soda) if I have it around. And rice flour instead of wheat flour. I don't know why. I guess it's the Asian equivalent of beer batter? I like the batter pretty thick, kinda like whole cream, but not as thick as pancake batter. I also never use egg in the batter.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone ever make cretons? It's a delicious meat spread from Quebec made out of pork and/or veal, and onions.

Going to try making some this week. Bought some ground pork and ground veal. Not sure what else I should be putting in it...maybe some gelatin/pectin to hold it together a bit. I don't think ground pork and veal have enough collagen to hold it together.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Made a quick batch of Gumbo some weeks ago...

yJ46pLAl.jpg

and this was the start of my smothered pork chops...

LGkqOdml.jpg

I really need to try natto. Already did durian last week which I absolutely love, so maybe natto will be a hit as well.

I just can't lol I tried and it reminds me of spider web :(

It's alright we all make mistakes sometimes...

Assuming you ordered take away and the quality was below par... I admit I laughed when the picture loaded after only seeing the :( to begin with!

Traditional Danish Apple Cake
My girlfriend's speciality. Made of apples cooked sweet and into a mash. Cooled, then served with layers of butter-browned bread crumbs and crushed macaroons and topped with whipped cream.
danishapplecake1.jpg

danishapplecake2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom